Sorry, but I *am* getting bulky from lifting heavy....

Options

Replies

• Trechechus
    Trechechus Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    Post pics of hyooge muskels.

This. Muscles are secksy!!!
  • momofthreesons
    momofthreesons Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    Lighten the weights/ increase the reps! You must be blessed with muscle gain ability. It has taken me 6 months of light lifting every day to every other day to get definition!
  • Trechechus
    Options
    I'm aiming for muscle growth, but if you are really unhappy with your results, maybe replacing some lifting days with cardio will help. I like both.
  • iulia_maddie
    iulia_maddie Posts: 2,780 Member
    Options
    I think we probably have very different ideas of what "bulky" looks like. If you don't like what lifting does for you body, you can always stop?
  • jetscreaminagain
    jetscreaminagain Posts: 1,130 Member
    Options
    right? die in a fire, yoovie.

I thanked everyone & said that I couldn't get to everyone (which included you) with a response because I was at work. I'm sorry, but saying that I some how screwed you over was really uncalled for.

Look chick, this BS "oh I'm so bulky" and I don't eat much and I've been told by doctors to increase my body fat, but instead I do an hour of cardio every day and lift 3 times a week (or something to that effect) and by golly lifting is making me bulky REALLY DOES discourage others and it isn't cool.

A million and a half people just said you're hot. What do you need here? You're not bulky. You just aren't, and it isn't cool to title it this when it may well be the cardio and under eating that have your body fat so low that you are defined. So knock it off really. And your response to Yoovie, when she was talking about how hard it is around here to counteract the under-eating cardio bunnies seeking perfection and instead hurting themselves is where stuff go out of hand.

For clarity here is where it got out of hand. It was when you came up with this BS:
    I'm sorry, but I was just stating how I was feeling about my body & this was totally rude & uncalled for. Saying I "****ed you over" Are you serious coming with some stuff like that? Wow

You're hot. Use less eye make up and don't flex and it will decrease the chances someone calls you mannish.
  • KayteeBear
    KayteeBear Posts: 1,040 Member
    Options
    I started to get bigger when I did mainly strength with little cardio (not even just lifting weights, a lot of it was bodyweight exercises). I was taking measurements and I gained inches. Especially on my stomach! It seems like the muscles under my stomach fat bulk like crazy. Even my boyfriend said he noticed I was getting bigger.

My shoulders are quite wide and large and I know I can't do anything about that since part of it is to do with my bones. I wouldn't mind my arms getting bulky. I don't like the rest of my body bulking, especially my stomach.

Within a few weeks of switching to mainly cardio with only a bit of strength I lost inches. So I don't what anybody says, I know, PERSONALLY, from experience that I do bulk when I do mostly strength and little cardio. I know it's not like that for most women, but some of us do bulk. That's a fact.

One nice thing is I've always gained muscle really easily...probably because I produce more testosterone than most females (due to PCOS)
  • Nataliaho
    Nataliaho Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    I have to second everyone who has said you are not bulky. To make it clear though, we don't mean this in a "being muscley isn't a bad thing, I hate the word 'bulky', you're just muscular" type of way. You literally ARE NOT BIG. Measure your bicep with a tape-measure. My bet from looking at you is that your actual measurements are relatively tiny compared to most girls your height. You have definition with low BF covering it.... Also your legs are also not remotely big or bulky or even particularly defined. You are less skinny than before when you were quite skinny. The fact you have people here telling you to start competing in bodybuilding just goes to show how skewed people's perceptions are...

Also for the record, I do not understand why so many people are prescribing lower weights at a higher rep range. That is the opposite to what you want. The bb rep range (12-15) is what builds muscle SIZE, low reps (1-5) of really proper HEAVY weights will build strength without necessarily building the same size. Not that I think that is particualrly relevant here given that your issue is low BF% and warped perspective.
  • JustJennie1
    JustJennie1 Posts: 3,843 Member
    Options
    Yeah I'm not seeing it.

IF you were truly very muscular ie:"bulky" then you wouldn't have needed to flex your bicep to show your muscle and your legs would be super muscular which, sorry, but they're just not.

Go check out the other thread about bulky women and look at the pictures. You do not look like any of them. You're just very thin.
  • Nataliaho
    Options
    I started to get bigger when I did mainly strength with little cardio (not even just lifting weights, a lot of it was bodyweight exercises). I was taking measurements and I gained inches. Especially on my stomach! It seems like the muscles under my stomach fat bulk like crazy. Even my boyfriend said he noticed I was getting bigger.

My shoulders are quite wide and large and I know I can't do anything about that since part of it is to do with my bones. I wouldn't mind my arms getting bulky. I don't like the rest of my body bulking, especially my stomach.

Within a few weeks of switching to mainly cardio with only a bit of strength I lost inches. So I don't what anybody says, I know, PERSONALLY, from experience that I do bulk when I do mostly strength and little cardio. I know it's not like that for most women, but some of us do bulk. That's a fact.

One nice thing is I've always gained muscle really easily...probably because I produce more testosterone than most females (due to PCOS)

Did you change your diet when you changed your training syle?
  • Trechechus
    Options
    Also for the record, I do not understand why so many people are prescribing lower weights at a higher rep range. That is the opposite to what you want. The bb rep range (12-15) is what builds muscle SIZE, low reps (1-5) of really proper HEAVY weights will build strength without necessarily building the same size.

I think the half of my FL who are body builders would disagree with you from experience on that one.
  • KayteeBear
    Options

Nope, everything was the same except my exercise. And this has happened before when I did more strength than cardio so I was only using that specific time as an example.
  • Nataliaho
    Options
    Also for the record, I do not understand why so many people are prescribing lower weights at a higher rep range. That is the opposite to what you want. The bb rep range (12-15) is what builds muscle SIZE, low reps (1-5) of really proper HEAVY weights will build strength without necessarily building the same size.

I think the half of my FL who are body builders would disagree with you from experience on that one.

In what way?
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options

In what way?
    3-5 Strength
    8-12 Hypertrophy
    12+ Endurance
  • KayteeBear
    Options
    Oh, and to the OP, I just saw your pictures and I think you look great. However, I understand if it's something you want to change then it is about how you feel. I've had the same thing (others think I look fine, but I don't agree). Obviously you should make a change if you don't like how your body is changing but I wanted to say I think you look awesome. :)
  • PetulantOne
    PetulantOne Posts: 2,131 Member
    Options
    Im scared this post might scare other girls away :(

seriously.
    put on some fat OP if you want to look softer, but knock it off with the bulky.

X1000

You aren't bulky, you're thin. You're not going to build a substantial amount of muscle on a 1200 calorie diet, even if you had the Hulks genes. If you don't like being able to see your muscles, then up your calorie intake. But stop scaring away all the chicks that don't understand the process.
  • Nataliaho
    Options

Nope, everything was the same except my exercise. And this has happened before when I did more strength than cardio so I was only using that specific time as an example.

In that case it is far more likely that you were simply creating a greater calorie deficit when you switched to cardio.
  • KayteeBear
    Options

In that case it is far more likely that you were simply creating a greater calorie deficit when you switched to cardio.

Well, either way I've discovered what works better for me so I just stick with that. :)
  • slushieee
    slushieee Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Lifting heavy doesn't cause women to bulk up unless they're eating at a caloric surplus while doing so. You could try adding in more cardio to see it will calm it down.
  • chivalryder
    chivalryder Posts: 4,391 Member
    Options
    DieThreadDie.jpg
  • schondell
    schondell Posts: 556 Member
    Options
    Never going to lift weights