• PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    Ugh, not this again.

^What she said
  • miadhail
    miadhail Posts: 383 Member
    Options
    The thing is, MFP already has a deficit built in into it. Meaning, before you ever met MFP, you probably were eating more than 1200 (which got you fat), so say you were eating about 4000 calories a day. Now, MFP lowers the calorie intake you are allowed to take to 1200 (so hence a 2800 calorie deficit) which would of course make you lose weight since you are eating less. The reason why this MFP system is designed to make you eat back your exercise calories is because 2800 is a large calorie deficit and technically MFP is encouraging you to exercise, which would allow you to eat more yet still be in a deficit. Say, you burnt 800 calories, so now, you are still in a calorie deficit of 2000 calories which is still lower than what you have been eating before.

The only time you shouldn't eat back your calories is when you have your TDEE calculated and taking 20% off that, as it already includes your exercise and still keeps you at a deficit.

Regardless, just listen to your body. If you are genuinely hungry, eat. Just remember that you already eat less when you being to log food in because you are more mindful, so just keep logging them in. All the best!
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    The never ending debate. God help us all.

It's only a continuing debate because some people refuse to sit down and do the math.

Or actual research...like from medical professionals, trainers, nutritionists/dieticians...people who usually know their stuff.
  • mikeyrp
    mikeyrp Posts: 1,616 Member
    Options
    don't eat more than you burn

WHOAAAA! Easy with the new science there, buddy. You're going to offend a lot of folks around here with that blasphemy.

Hey, I'm a radical, free thinking, boundary pushing, mould breaking kinda guy.

Here's another one:

Muscle doesn't weigh more than fat: it's denser than fat.

And whilst we're at it:

No, Sex isn't listed as an exercise - anyway, how many calories can anyone burn in 2 minutes?
  • SONIA820
    SONIA820 Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    Over the course of this year, I started out at 292 in January and I got down to 185 (in August) (my lowest non pregnant) and have been rocking around 191 (currently 18 weeks 5 days pregnant!) and I did NOT eat back my exercise calories.... I think some people should eat back their exercise calories IF it works for them and some should not.

It works for YOU because you are so over weight. As you get closer to your Goal Weight (like within 30 pounds) - it's not going to work any more....unless you aren't exercising very hard or more than a couple times a week.

Before becoming pregnant, I was inching closer ( was still about 40lbs away) and doing Jillian Micheals DVD's every day with two days of rest. SOOOO....again it just points out that some things work for some people and some things don't...We are all different, which is exactly what I said to begin with. Have no clue how you can argue that you are the same as I am....
  • ladyluch99
    ladyluch99 Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    im not getting involved in THAT, but what words are spelled incorrectly in this post ?!?!?!? :indifferent:

Thank you! I thought the same thing. The punctuation might be a little off, but the spelling is spot on!
  • mikeyrp
    Options
    I think our culture in general today is prone to over-indulgence and excess. I've found the mindset "I worked out, so I can eat whatever I want" to be very damaging. We should focus on having balance and moderation and not necessarily link our exercise habits with our eating.

Spot on: I eat to fuel my work outs - I don't work out so I am allowed to eat more. (Doesn't stop me enjoying my fuel though)
  • mikeyrp
    Options
    im not getting involved in THAT, but what words are spelled incorrectly in this post ?!?!?!? :indifferent:

Thank you! I thought the same thing. The punctuation might be a little off, but the spelling is spot on!

Technically its the thread title which is spelt incorrectly...
  • ladyluch99
    ladyluch99 Posts: 264 Member
    Options

I guess I didn't look at the topic's title. There is a mispelling in it. Does that count? :bigsmile: :laugh:
  • whiteheaddg
    whiteheaddg Posts: 325 Member
    Options

AAAGGGHH! This phrase must never be written on an MFP thread. DELETE IT BEFORE THEY COME. DELETE IT BEFORE THEY COME.
  • ArroganceInStep
    ArroganceInStep Posts: 6,239 Member
    Options
    My life on MFP got a whole lot simpler when I realized that many of the most obnoxious zealots are weak...and fat.
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    The Best Piece of Weight Loss Advice Ever Exercise is not a license to eat. “All too often clients believe that any exercise gives them permission to eat more,” says Moore, “The truth is, it rarely balances out calories consumed.”

im pretty sure this depends on how much people are eating already.

You cant say - look this woman was eating 900 calories a day and now that she is exercising she is fine.

You cant say - look this guy was eating 5000 calories a day and now that he is walking for a half an hour at night, he is fine.

It doesnt work that way. Stop posting stupid generalizations that you are so sure fit every human.

If I eat 1600 calories today, and then go burn another 600 in exercise - Then I NEED TO EAT!

if I want to drive farther than just to my job, I have to have more gas than just enough to get to my job.

You need to stop assuming people are allllllllllllllll over eaters who should be exercising. most overweight people are not eating enough.

this is just scary when people put information out there and they dont understand what they are saying to what kind of audience.

Just take it down. This is going to go somewhere ugly.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    What kind of statement is that? Your post doesn't even attempt to prove your topic heading. I call Shenanigans.

Shennanigans has been called. the tribunal will now meet.

I swear to God I'm going to pistol whip the next guy who says, " Shenanigans."

Well MFP won't let us call bull****. (see?) So shenanigans is all we got!
  • chickfromsc
    Options
    Well your lack of correct spelling makes me not believe you.
    ^^^ THIS!
  • aftergypsies
    aftergypsies Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    Troll bait -hoo-ha-ha
  • slkehl
    slkehl Posts: 3,801 Member
    Options
    I'm under the impression that many people on here are underestimating how many calories they eat and overestimatin how many calories they burn. So not purposefully eating back their exercise calories is probably a good thing...only because in reality they are likely eating them back, they just don't realize it.
  • mikeyrp
    Options

AAAGGGHH! This phrase must never be written on an MFP thread. DELETE IT BEFORE THEY COME. DELETE IT BEFORE THEY COME.

Hit and run... Going to bed. By morning this thread will be nothing but troll dust HA HA HA HA HA...
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    You're comparing apples to oranges. Eating back your ACTUAL calories is different than thinking "any exercise gives you permission to eat more" (than you've burned).

I prefer to think about it the way I once saw it worded: "You lose ounces in the gym but pounds in the kitchen." Reminds me that controlling the food is the real issue. IMO, food is for losing weight, exercise is for gaining fitness. Two different things.

True! I'll bet that the folks referred to by these "clients" are people who are not tracking their intake. A lot of people go to the gym, thinking they'll lose weight, then they don't track their food at all. They will surely fail.
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    MFP is a different system to most.

Understand it before you comment on it.