I Am Adam Lanzas Mother

Options

Replies

• BeachGingerOnTheRocks
    BeachGingerOnTheRocks Posts: 3,927 Member
    Options
    This is so painful to read and to know people who have lived through this as parents and siblings. Prayers for them all.
  • ElleEmmeKay
    Options
    Wow, thank you so much for posting this. Every inch of me needed to read this. Thank you.
  • gertudejekyl
    gertudejekyl Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    State run hospitals were shuttered because they are the most inhumane places ever conceived to warehouse and sedate (not treat) the mentally ill.
    And until they hurt someone and declare criminally insane, there is nothing that a free society can do.
    We are not North Korea or China. We cannot force adults to take medication against their will when they haven't done anything to harm someone else.

With freedom comes risk. I'd rather live with the risk than in a society that locks people up because they "might" commit a violent crime.

I agree with this articulate statement. The mom must have been a little off to have all that around her disturbed son.
  • tumblyweed
    tumblyweed Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    This woman is describing my son, my family and our lives.

http://gawker.com/5968818/i-am-adam-lanzas-mother

My family as well. I have been blogging about it here on my MFP blog, just for sanity's sake. I am so sorry for what you are going through.
    My children have been diagnosed with RAD. Life is a living hell. I homeschool and just don't know how much longer I can do this. Real treatment is impossible and people have a hard time comprehending that children can suffer from mental / emotional illness.
    I have found support through ATN, the Attachment and Trauma Network.
    There seems to be a little hope in a petition on Change.org. There are HUNDREDS of comments from parents like us with stories so similar and real. We need help... badly.
    The link to the petition at Change.org is here. Read the comments. More families are suffering than people know and for those who are not... just be grateful that I homeschool my kids and don't send them to school with yours...

http://www.change.org/petitions/the-president-of-the-united-states-post-adoptive-support-for-children-with-reactive-attachment-disorder#supporters
  • MrsAgi
    MrsAgi Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    I'm in the UK, and whereas I appreciate the NHS which provided the diagnosis and CAMHS Counselling for my son (now aged 12, and bigger and stronger than me or hubby), I was also told that the only way to get actual support for him/the rest of the family was for him to be arrested or hospitalised:(
  • NikoM5
    NikoM5 Posts: 488 Member
    Options
    Wow. Unbelievable to read what some of you are dealing with. You are a courageous group.
  • louiselebeau
    louiselebeau Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    I have been a corrections officer for 8 years. I can tell you 100% that most offenders are on some kind of psychiatric treatment or another. Most of them take medications for it at least once a day. I firmly believe if we have the capability to sustain and treat them in prison for an extended period of time, then we should be able to treat them in a center them for extended periods of time as well, regardless of insurance. There are many inmates who would not be inmates and could even have been productive members of society (gasp!) had they received extended treatment in their adolescence.
  • tumblyweed
    Options
    It's appalling the help is not there but it'd have to get the child away from its siblings no matter what. Must be incredibly tough though x

Balancing your family's safety and the well being of your mentally ill child is beyond difficult. Most of the time, dealing with my older son is simply frustrating and annoying. Most of the time he's like a particularly big pain in the *kitten* teenager. Most of the time I can't bear the idea of him being institutionalized. When he's at his worst though...I fear for my wife and other son.
    One of our options is for my wife and I to separate. She would take my younger son, I would take the older. We could visit often. This would keep them safe.
    It may come to that.

One of my support buddies just had to do the same thing. And, I have a few others who have been living this way for years.
    For my part, I am single and am raising two. They were adopted and I had only sketchy history in the beginning.
    We've been told the following from my kids (ages 6 and 8) therapists: lock my bedroom door at night, put a bell or alarm chime on my oldest's door to keep both girls safe from each other, hide all knives, no more pets whatsoever as they are not safe from my children. And yet, these kids have been denied time and again for proper Residential Treatment.
    I do follow all of the recommendations, but really want a dog. I need some sort of companionship in my home. I didn't realise how bad it was in the beginning and both girls hurt our (and my brother's) pets. I know much more now and am strongly considering getting a little dog that bites like hell. (My last dog, my oldest beat and my littlest kiddo poisoned our turtles (and tried to kill my brother's pit). Should people have to live like this??? And if you don't think this sounds horrible, trust my, this is just the tip of my iceberg. Every moment is a struggle in my house and my kids fear no discipline and accept no reason.

Sorry for the vent...
  • BeachGingerOnTheRocks
    BeachGingerOnTheRocks Posts: 3,927 Member
    Options
    I have been a corrections officer for 8 years. I can tell you 100% that most offenders are on some kind of psychiatric treatment or another. Most of them take medications for it at least once a day. I firmly believe if we have the capability to sustain and treat them in prison for an extended period of time, then we should be able to treat them in a center them for extended periods of time as well, regardless of insurance. There are many inmates who would not be inmates and could even have been productive members of society (gasp!) had they received extended treatment in their adolescence.

I completely agree. Not everyone can be a productive citizen, but having better treatment options for youth would go a long way to helping those who just need a chance.
  • Ivian_
    Ivian_ Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    I own guns. Often go to the shooting range. Carry guns. And am trained and licensed to do so. There is no way I would even consider having guns in my home if I lived with or cared for a mentally ill adult or child. Nancy Lanza was not being a responsible gun owner. Unfortunately, the easily accessible weapons she legally purchased and owned, made it into the wrong hands. Gun owners need to have common sense.

My 2 year old, incredibly smart, God-daughter is at my home with my mom, who takes care of her all day. She's not a challenged child, or does she have any mental illnesses. But my guns, aside from the one I carry, are locked up, unloaded, in a safe that unless you blow up it up, you're not getting into. On top of that, I lock my bedroom door. They're called precautions. Responsible gun owners have these and practice them.

As for more support for the mentally ill, I agree it's the first thing we need to address in order to keep these things from happening again. Not prisons. These tragedies will continue to happen if these children and adults aren't looked out for. I empathize will the mothers and fathers who deal with children who are challenged. My husband's uncle needed to be institutionalized the day he almost choked his dad (my husband's granddad) to death over a cigarette. He grabbed him by the throat and didn't let off until 3 of his other uncles jumped in to get him off. They couldn't risk having him at home and hoping he was actually taking his medication and not spitting them out after the fact. Fortunately, he is being taken care of now in a controlled environment, with round the clock care; something many families need but can't afford or don't have access to or aren't willing to try. The stigma around mental illness in this country is terrible. It needs to change so that our loved ones are getting the health care they need.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for sharing your stories. Honestly, my daughter struggles with these emotions and the sibling rivalry between her and her sister is always difficult. But reading some of what you all have been through, I find myself grateful that my daughter's issues aren't much worse and that we have managed to find some solutions.

At the same time, though, your stories scare me and worry me. My daughter is a good, sweet, intelligent child. But her rages interfere with her judgment, and the reprecussions of that is what I fear most. Just this morning, she really wanted to wear a certain pair of shoes and was excited about it (a pair that her sister didn't want), but they didn't fit. The frustration caused her to lash out and kick the shoes off her feet. They flew across the room. Fortunately, they didn't hit anything or anyone, but the lack of impulse control has gotten her in trouble before. If she had hit something or someone, it wouldn't have been intentional, but people don't always understand that, especially, in the schools.

My heart goes out to you all and your loved ones.
  • MelStren
    MelStren Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    I read this article yesterday and while I haven't read every comment made here, I do have one question. Why was Adam Lanzas' mother an avid gun collector? If she had a son who was unstable, unpredictable or violent, then why did she have guns in the home?

I know we can't remove every possible weapon from our homes, but why add actual weapons if you have a child who is sometimes?, could be?, violent?
  • iAMsmiling
    iAMsmiling Posts: 2,394 Member
    Options
    I read this article yesterday and while I haven't read every comment made here, I do have one question. Why was Adam Lanzas' mother an avid gun collector? If she had a son who was unstable, unpredictable or violent, then why did she have guns in the home?

I know we can't remove every possible weapon from our homes, but why add actual weapons if you have a child who is sometimes?, could be?, violent?

She either did not understand the depth of his issues, did not make the connection that he could become that violent (who wants to believe that of their child?), or was negligent.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    Options

I don't know all the details, but I imagine that she didn't realize or want to believe that he was capable of something like this. Honestly, this couldn't have been predicted. You can't punish someone for something that they haven't done yet, and you can't make assumptions. Maybe he had never been violent before now. Maybe she had them locked up and believed that he couldn't get to them. Honestly, it is not fair to judge her without having all the facts and I'm sorry, but if you are getting your information from the media, then odds are that you do not have all the facts.
  • melsmith612
    melsmith612 Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    I've noticed many people posting that they know someone who acts similarly to the child in this article. My heart goes out to all of you. I am that child, grown now. I have suffered from fits of rage that turn into suicidal thoughts (very quickly) since I was a teenager. I was diagnosed with Borderline Personality Disorder. For those of you who are unfamiliar with this disorder feel free to look it up... many similarities to what was described in this article. It is literally a struggle every single day to fight the excessive emotions involved but it is possible to live a (somewhat) normal life. In my experience, therapy/counseling does very little because the emotional fits of sadness and rage do not come on demand for others to see but unexpectedly and sometimes so intense that it's frightening to even listen to yourself. I've been on several different medications and types of medications with very little relief from my symptoms. I've found that anti-anxiety medication on an as-needed basis has been the most effective for dulling down those excessive emotions that prompt outbursts. The sad part is that this disorder is very often misdiagnosed as bipolar disorder, depression, anxiety or even multiple personality disorder. Some psychiatric professionals even refuse to use this diagnosis because of its large variety of symptoms and how often it can present as something else. Anyone out there that is living with someone who has these types of emotional outbursts really does need to be careful and make sure they have a safety plan in place. My own husband has been forced to call 911 on me and during my more lucid moments, I encourage him to do so. I would encourage others to do the same if presented with explosive rage or threats of suicide. A few trips to the hospital ER is enough to make anyone think twice before allowing their emotions to take control again.
  • tumblyweed
    Options

Sometimes you need to hope your child isn't as crazy as you think he is. This was a very stupid way on her part and purely poor judgement. I should NOT be looking for a dog, I know this. But, I have also lost / given up so much already, that I need something. Dog, around children with a history of animal abuse? Pretty stupid on my part. Gun, with a mentally unstable child? Grave error.
    There are no excuses that I can find for her stupidity.
  • ShinyFuture
    ShinyFuture Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    It is powerful and tragic and a travesty that mental heath care is not given more importance in this country. That said, it's also crazy that she would have an arsenal of assault weapons and ammunition that her mentally disturbed son had access to. If my kid was even a tiny fraction of that bad I'd have the steak knives under lock and key.

Unbelievably, not only did the shooter have access to all those assault weapons, his mother made sure he was taught how to use them!

Re this woman's story - While I totally agree that mental health care access is shamefully lacking in this country, I was very disturbed by the part about the younger children having been trained to run/hide/lock themselves in somewhere to protect themselves from their older brother when he became violent and irrational. At what point do you decide its ok to risk the safety and possibly lives of your younger children in order to keep another child who is this volatile (sp?) in the home?
  • UsedToBeHusky
    Options

Another thing to think about... this wasn't a child... this was grown man. If the guns hadn't have been in the house, then he would have acquired them from somewhere else eventually.
  • iAMsmiling
    iAMsmiling Posts: 2,394 Member
    Options
    It is powerful and tragic and a travesty that mental heath care is not given more importance in this country. That said, it's also crazy that she would have an arsenal of assault weapons and ammunition that her mentally disturbed son had access to. If my kid was even a tiny fraction of that bad I'd have the steak knives under lock and key.

Unbelievably, not only did the shooter have access to all those assault weapons, his mother made sure he was taught how to use them!

Re this woman's story - While I totally agree that mental health care access is shamefully lacking in this country, I was very disturbed by the part about the younger children having been trained to run/hide/lock themselves in somewhere to protect themselves from their older brother when he became violent and irrational. At what point do you decide its ok to risk the safety and possibly lives of your younger children in order to keep another child who is this volatile (sp?) in the home?

At what point do you jettison one kid to try to save the others? Put yourself in a lifeboat with your kids. Now, decide when it's ok to throw one overboard to save the others.
  • joe7880
    joe7880 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry but I really don't agree. People have mental health issues all over the world but school shootings don't occur as regularly as they do in the USA. Maybe if guns were illegal and people stopped blaming the government, the illness, the health care etc instead of looking closer to home these tragedies wouldn't occur.
    Maybe I am being too controversial? I'm sure I'll get many responses as to why I am wrong!

I don't think taking guns out of the hands of responsible people is the answer, but clearly those with mental problems like Adam Lanza need to be kept away from guns. There is no real good answer for what needs to be done simply because nomatter what heppens, those sweet/innocent kids will never come back, and the innocence of the survivors is also gone forever.
This discussion has been closed.