Treadmill vs street

Options

Replies

• iplayoutside19
    iplayoutside19 Posts: 2,304 Member
    Options
    Outside.

I've been running for the better part of 3 years. I ran on a treadmill for the first time last Thursday mostly because of schdeduling and childcare logistics....I'll skip my run before I do that again.

I used to have some weather perameters for running outside. After a trail race I ran last winter where the temp was 5* F and the wind was 25 mph out of the north...I have two, hail or frequent lightning, everything else is on the table.

In fact the the guy I ran the race with we challenge each other to run in the gnarliest weather that comes our way.
  • mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    Options
    So, I dont have to walk at an incline or anything to get the same benefit as walking on a trail?
    Recommendation is 1-2% incline to make up for lack of wind resistance, etc.

Recent study conducted by Running Times showed that there is no compensation necessary for wind resistance until you are running sub 6:00 miles.

Really? That is good to know because whenever I use the incline on a treadmill I have a harder time with shin splints and asthma.

I prefer outdoors but from about May to Mid-Sept use treadmill. Too hot on the surface of the sun and I can't get up at 4am to run. :tongue:

Maybe that is why I was having shin splint problems... I was walking on a 3-5 incline.

I doubt it's the incline because I've had shin splint from walking on dead flat concrete in two different cities now. I'd say it's more likely the shoes.

I get bored walking or running on the treadmill non-stop but I find if I do HIIT on it instead it make the time go faster because I'm adjusting the speed all the time plus you don't have to do it as long.
  • bluefox9er
    bluefox9er Posts: 2,917 Member
    Options
    Outside.

I've been running for the better part of 3 years. I ran on a treadmill for the first time last Thursday mostly because of schdeduling and childcare logistics....I'll skip my run before I do that again.

I used to have some weather perameters for running outside. After a trail race I ran last winter where the temp was 5* F and the wind was 25 mph out of the north...I have two, hail or frequent lightning, everything else is on the table.

In fact the the guy I ran the race with we challenge each other to run in the gnarliest weather that comes our way.

This is what i want to be like when I grow up. Is it wrong for me to wish for gnarly weather just so I can beast it out and feel gratification in knowing that gnarly weather can no longer be an excuse to run indoors, or even worse, not run at all???
  • takumaku
    takumaku Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    Both. Each have their respective strength and weakness. I use a treadmill to work on HIT and to become use to a certain speed. Being indoors and having the ability to zone out without worrying about random stray dogs or vehicles is also a plus. I use the street and track for greater distances.
  • clioratha
    clioratha Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    In general, I prefer the treadmill - no heat, rain, or mosquitoes! Also, I can treadmill at midnight or so if I need to, or interact with my family. Also, I can read on the treadmill (at least until I get fit enough to run instead of walk)

Also, where I live doesn't have much in the way of terrain. Coastal Florida is rather flat. Treadmill gives me inclines.

If I'm away from home and somewhere with real terrain and scenery, then I'll go street.
  • CorvusCorax77
    CorvusCorax77 Posts: 2,536 Member
    Options

... I have no sympathy for people who get mugged or knocked in the head running in dark desolate areas, especially in cities. You should know better....

:noway:

:mad:
  • CorvusCorax77
    CorvusCorax77 Posts: 2,536 Member
    Options

How the heck do you read while running? I'd love to learn this trick because I have a ton of reading to do in law school and I can only manage speed walking at an incline or the stairs while reading.

I couldn't read and run at the same time. But i spent a fair amount of time between classes on the elliptical. Tho i did notice the further i went into a case, the slower my pace went. Its not so easy to burn mega calories and prep for class :(
  • TazzytheMotivator
    TazzytheMotivator Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    I enjoy running outside. I love the fresh air and that fact that i'm moving. But at times treadmill can be alot easier on your joints.

exercise.png
  • RobynLB
    RobynLB Posts: 617 Member
    Options

How the heck do you read while running? I'd love to learn this trick because I have a ton of reading to do in law school and I can only manage speed walking at an incline or the stairs while reading.

I couldn't read and run at the same time. But i spent a fair amount of time between classes on the elliptical. Tho i did notice the further i went into a case, the slower my pace went. Its not so easy to burn mega calories and prep for class :(

And my margin notes look like Michael J. Fox wrote them!
  • Stdavis53
    Stdavis53 Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    Treadmill, because I can adjust the speed/incline to my specific preferences. Also, its winter in Montana and I am a stay at home father... Not going to take my baby outside when it feels like single digits.
  • sunsnstatheart
    sunsnstatheart Posts: 2,544 Member
    Options

And my margin notes look like Michael J. Fox wrote them!

Class. Library. Gym. Local Pub.

Its a sure fire law school formula. As they say, law school prepares you to pass the bar and never pass another one.

Seriously though, focus on the first three.
  • HeaDak3
    Options
    go street and see the world!
    do you really want to be a hamster on a wheel?
  • amybg1
    amybg1 Posts: 631 Member
    Options
    I'm stuck on the treadmill and am lucky if i can have a run outside more than once a week due to my needing a sighted guide.

I much prefer road running because you can feel a sense of freedom! Enjoy the fresh air, feel the ground under your feet, hear birds or whatever else is around you...

On the treadmill you just focus on not rolling backwards and are stuck in one spot and not actually going somewhere. Plus the sensory feedback you get from your feet is so not natural!
  • bulletproofkasper
    bulletproofkasper Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    Street definatly street, i don't get bored as quick, i love the breeze and i take my dog :)
  • marikevr
    marikevr Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    Road or trails! The streets must be flooded before I will take to the dreadmill.
  • donnam40
    donnam40 Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    I have been running for 25 years and recently had a forced 4 month break because of rheumatoid arthritis. I had previously been mainly and outdoor unner, running marathons and in all sorts of weather.

I can now only run on a treadmill because it is so much easier on my feet, ankles and knees so I say "God Bless the Treadmill!" Without it I would still be without that runner's high that I missed so badly for that four months.

That's not to say I would not love an outside run, but after trying it and aggravating everything, the view is not worth the total loss of running.

Donna
  • serenapitala
    serenapitala Posts: 441 Member
    Options

I read while I am on any machine at the gym. Elliptical, bike, treadmill, whatever. I'm pretty sure it's the only way I could fit homework and exercise in after work. As the earlier poster said, the deeper you read, the harder it is to keep up speed. Also, my highlighting is rarely in a straight line.
  • manhn1
    manhn1 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    For 30-60 minute runs: Treadmill, treadmill, treadmill! I just like it. I like watching the news. I like the temperature-controlled climate. I like that there are no bugs, dogs, and stuff coming out of dogs. I also like that it's easier on my knees. The constant speed and consistency really allows me to relieve a lot of my stress in a way that an outdoor run rarely does.

When I do my long runs, I do prefer the outdoors. But I make a special day out of it. I don't just leave my condo building and run around my boring neighbourhood. I like running along the water in the summertime.