Being called a "fat *kitten*" by my husband....

Options

Replies

• FeatherontheWind
    FeatherontheWind Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I believe in marriage vows too...love cherish, honor, etc., etc. Think about it though...did his marriage vows say anything about having the right to verbally or mentally abuse you??? I doubt you would have said "I do" if that were the case. I guarantee the problem is he feels inferior with something in his life so it makes him feel better to belittle someone else. It is a form of control. Some people have to degrade others to break them down so as to have the upper hand or control of them.

Secondly. my brother and I were young, he was 8 and I was 6, when our parents divorced. We turned out very well. I attribute that to the love that our family gave us even though it was from different households in different states. My point is that staying in a marriage that is disrespectful and abusive (yes, ABUSIVE) WILL AFFECT YOUR CHILDREN. They WILL grow up thinking this is the way it is supposed to be. Many families have children that grow up speaking to their Mother the way their father degrades her, if not worse...no respect. Daughters grow up thinking that it is o.k. to be abused by men and they go on to live in abusive situations. Sons grow up to be just like their Dads. ...and the same goes if the mother is the aggressive figure. The cycle will continue through the generations until someone has the courage to break it...to find the strength within, to finally stand up and say, "I do not have to live the entire rest of my life being depressed and anxious. I do not have to take this anymore. I can move on into a more positive chapter of my life."

I can assure you that this bad behavior will only get worse, it never gets better! I'm not telling you to run out to the divorce lawyer immediately unless lives are in danger of course. Only you can determine when to take that step. I am saying to: (A) Tune out the negative remarks. Verbal abuse can only affect you if YOU give it your permission. Don't waste your precious energy playing his negative remarks over in your head. That is self destructive. You know in your heart and mind when, why and how you accomplish your tasks is right for you and your kids. (B) Get yourself together: Put on a little lipstick (I know, it sounds crazy but it helps to feel pretty), eat healthy, exercise (at YOUR pace), take care of your kids and get out of the house at least once a week just for fun without the husband. It could be an activity with your kids or something with a ladies group or join a gym or take a class...just something positive to improve your state of mind. Challenge yourself to see just how strong you can be by getting your mind right first. Everything else will fall into place and you will eventually realize how much happier YOUR life can be on YOUR terms. He either adjusts or he doesn't, but YOU WILL BE HAPPIER. Only you can determine whether his piece of the puzzle fits when the time comes. Don't wait...the sooner you get it together, one step at a time, the sooner you are on your road to happiness. Make this New Year a New You!

I highly recommend to you the book 'Unlimited: A Three-Step Plan for Achieving Your Dreams by Jillian Michaels' This book is not about weight loss, it is more about improving ones life for the best. You can apply it to anything you want.
    The book, audible audio, audible CD and Kindle versions can all be found at Amazon.com

By the way, I know this works because not only have I seen this countless times, but I've been there. I left him and I have a loving husband now.
    Best Wishes to You
  • Sul3i
    Sul3i Posts: 553 Member
    Options
    just take those hurtful words and turn them in to motivation. PROVE HIM WRONG! XD then he will just be the stupid one.

THIS^^ && WHEN U reach your goal u may just feel a whole lot different about the jerk!
  • Sam_Hain
    Sam_Hain Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Step 1. Deny him sex until you are in the shape you want to be in because getting pregnant sucks for weight gain and I'm glad I'm a guy.

Step 2. Get in the shape you want to be in.

Step 3. Deny him sex after you are in the shape you want to be in because he couldn't love you for who you were before.

:devil:
  • abrahamsitososa
    abrahamsitososa Posts: 716 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't recommend OP gets divorced over the comment. It can be worked out. "Through thick and thin" was the promise to God and relationships do get thin sometimes.
  • Hendrix7
    Hendrix7 Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    Honey, that's emotional abuse. If a man ever spoke to me like that I'd hit him upside the head with a frying pan and then dump his *kitten*

Am I the only one who sees the incredible irony of this statement?
  • ErzaScarlet
    ErzaScarlet Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Tell him that it is not acceptable for him to speak to you like that and if he does not like a lazy fat *kitten* for a wife he knows where the door is.
  • FeatherontheWind
    FeatherontheWind Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    If this were me I would get super sexy and fit and then leave his *kitten*

In my situation I left first. It was much easier to accomplish my goals when I was away from the negative behavior. Eventually, one starts to feel super sexy again, especially when men start turning their heads in your direction. :love:
  • Sujit8383
    Sujit8383 Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    usually some husbands have an attitude to take out frustration of his office work inside home........n it may vent out in one way or other............he mi8 not mean what he said else he wld hv said it much earlier..........just my assumption.......
  • MyFitGrlSwag
    MyFitGrlSwag Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Such a touchy topic with many commenting on "leave him, or work it out"

I just want to say I understand feeling discouraged because of someone not being an encourager, but discourager. But you made the start, and can cross the finish line. Weight loss and health changes take time, and in time if you stick with it, you will shine with your improved self.

Words are hurtful, and can do a lot of damage. If you cant use them for fuel, use them to learn. Learn that you can prove them wrong and in the right way.

:flowerforyou:
  • palmerig88
    palmerig88 Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    doesn't really help. I've been dieting and doing light exercise. Just because I wanted to put our kids down for a nap after lunch and let my food digest before going for a 4 mile long walk doesn't make me lazy. I never said we weren't going to go, just that I wanted to wait a few hours. However, being called a lazy fat *kitten* by him doesn't really make me feel all that motivated to work out. Being told that I will never be thin again, that I will never be good for anything, and that I'm stupid isn't going to fix anything and just makes me feel worse about what little progress I've made. It also doesn't really help my depression. I know everyone's going to say to just leave him, but I actually believe in my marriage vows and don't believe in divorce.

How could a tiny spat (you not wanting to leave for a walk when he did) lead to these things being said?
    Lazy Fat *kitten*
    Never Be Thin Again
    Never Be Good For Anything
    Stupid

Please explain. Do you constantly fight? There is more to the story? These are separate things he has said at separate times?
  • SannyBea
    SannyBea Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    "Through thick and thin" sure. But saying those things to your spouse isn't a thinning relationship, it's an abusive one.
  • LMick1986
    LMick1986 Posts: 431
    Options
    Such a touchy topic with many commenting on "leave him, or work it out"

I just want to say I understand feeling discouraged because of someone not being an encourager, but discourager. But you made the start, and can cross the finish line. Weight loss and health changes take time, and in time if you stick with it, you will shine with your improved self.

Words are hurtful, and can do a lot of damage. If you cant use them for fuel, use them to learn. Learn that you can prove them wrong and in the right way.

:flowerforyou:

Good point!! I think a lot of us lost sight of what the OP was kinda needing/wanting. If your husband doesn't support you 100% of the time, come here, we always will! Get on track for yourself and hopefully, he'll get on track with you and know you're serious about your health journey. Best of luck!
  • pamelak5
    pamelak5 Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    Point me to the part in the vows where he has broken them & I'll point to the vows that states where leaving him would be breaking them.

I've had this discussion before with people who could not find where it states something like this is breaking a vow at all. I am still waiting for them to find the part.

Why take vows in the 1st place if people decide if it gets hard, to just leave?

I don't know whether this poster should leave her husband. Marriage vows are sacred, but protecting your children and your self-worth are more important. Would you really want to teach your daughter that it is okay to be abused by someone she loves?
  • abrahamsitososa
    Options
    "Through thick and thin" sure. But saying those things to your spouse isn't a thinning relationship, it's an abusive one.

Doesn't sound threatening or physical. He could've been drunk, they could've been arguing and he doesn't really mean it. A better idea would be to catch him in a better mood and have him apologize. Getting divorced over something like that is a little overdoing it. Maybe he met her when she was a lot skinnier so his standards are a little high and if he can't encourage her to lose weight in a nicer way then her heart will tell her what to do. She's a member of MFP so he should already be happy to know she's putting some effort into losing weight. It's a sad situation but I would never encourage anyone to get divorced over that. There's a reason why our country has one of the highest divorce rates in the world.
  • meggonkgonk
    meggonkgonk Posts: 2,066 Member
    Options

Doesn't sound threatening or physical. He could've been drunk, they could've been arguing and he doesn't really mean it. A better idea would be to catch him in a better mood and have him apologize. Getting divorced over something like that is a little overdoing it. Maybe he met her when she was a lot skinnier so his standards are a little high and if he can't encourage her to lose weight in a nicer way then her heart will tell her what to do. She's a member of MFP so he should already be happy to know she's putting some effort into losing weight. It's a sad situation but I would never encourage anyone to get divorced over that. There's a reason why our country has one of the highest divorce rates in the world.

Physical abuse isn't the only kind of abuse. This is clear verbal abuse. And if you think being drunk or not meaning it or even arguing is cause to speak to someone like this, you should really seek anger management or some form of counselling. Because this is not her fault, not her problem, and not something for her to fix. This is a root abusive situation. Bottom line.

We have high divorce rates for a number of reasons. To tell someone they should stay with an abuser because of national divorce rates is tweaked. The answer to that lies in our treatment of getting married in the first place, not in getting divorced.
  • meggonkgonk
    meggonkgonk Posts: 2,066 Member
    Options
    I got to page 4, and then gave up.

I cannot believe so many people are just telling her to walk out on her marriage, just like that and saying he is meotionally abusing her.
    There is a big difference between someone being in an abusive relationship and someone who has, just recently, said a few hurtful words to their other half.

From the OPs posts it seems like this only started when she decided to change her life and get fit, she never once mentioned that it had been long standing or happened before her lifestyle change. Surely that should be an indicator that the man isn't a '*kitten*' or something, but has emotional issues of his own (in regards to this), that need addressing.

He clearly had no issues with you or thought/said any of that when you were just as you were before - unmotivated. However, now this motivation has either reawakened or started some insecurity deep within him and is being displayed as this verbal shower of sh*te. For some reason, he doesn't want to motivate you, leading me to believe he doesn't want you to change.

Have you sat and spoke to him about these issues?
    Have you asked him WHY he says what he does?

I think the answers, comfort and change both of you need lie within a counselors office (both one-on-one and as a married couple), and not with a divorce lawyer.

Do you know what verbal abuse is? Because this was a clear case of it:
    Being told that I will never be thin again, that I will never be good for anything, and that I'm stupid isn't going to fix anything and just makes me feel worse about what little progress I've made. It also doesn't really help my depression.

Emotional and verbal abuse are used to control and manipulate their self hatred so as to control them. How on earth can you not see that this is what he was doing?
  • abrahamsitososa
    Options

Physical abuse isn't the only kind of abuse. This is clear verbal abuse. And if you think being drunk or not meaning it or even arguing is cause to speak to someone like this, you should really seek anger management or some form of counselling. Because this is not her fault, not her problem, and not something for her to fix. This is a root abusive situation. Bottom line.

We have high divorce rates for a number of reasons. To tell someone they should stay with an abuser because of national divorce rates is tweaked. The answer to that lies in our treatment of getting married in the first place, not in getting divorced.

Looks to me like you are the one that needs some anger management. Have you ever been through a divorce?
  • JennyBug2007
    Options
    WOW... that would have resulted in a slap across the face, and I'm not usually a hitter.

First of all, that IS abuse, and from the sound of it, this is probably not the first time something like this has been said. While I don't agree with flippantly giving up on a marriage like a Kardashian, please be sure that this does not continue. You want to set a good example for your kids, right? Then don't let a daughter see that it's okay for a man to treat her this way, and don't let a son see that it is okay to treat a woman this way.

Second, if you are planning on staying in this marriage, you must stand up for yourself. Comments like that will not be tolerated, and if you respect yourself, you will tell him how you feel instead of random people on a forum. Bottom line: If he can't respect you, he lied in his vows. It sure as heck doesn't sound like he is loving and cherishing you throught sickness and health...
  • jaycmoore
    Options
    Shocking that is, I know I wouldn't get away with a comment like that. And nor should I.
  • GeekGirl23
    GeekGirl23 Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you need to ignore him and do what you need to do... eventually you'll look hot and he'll feel guilty for calling you that. If my husband even thought about calling me that he'd get a slap to the face, well that and he is lazier then me so he has no room to talk. Last year he lost 10 lbs and I lost 35... I win!

No for serious for you... he either supports you or he goes without love in his marriage because you'll start to resent him.