Being called a "fat *kitten*" by my husband....

Options

Replies

• Reeny1_8
    Reeny1_8 Posts: 277
    Options
    Um. You're still with this guy, because? Honey, that's emotional abuse. If a man ever spoke to me like that I'd hit him upside the head with a frying pan and then dump his *kitten*.

You don't believe in divorce but you believe in being degraded by a man? Priorities, beautiful.

THIS^^^^^^
  • ChristineS_51
    ChristineS_51 Posts: 872 Member
    Options
    I didn't even realize this post was still going. Just to catch everyone up... we did talk. He apologized for calling me these names. Yes, it did start when I started to make a lifestyle change. He admitted that he's insecure about me making changes. He also figured that since he has lost 40 lbs, I would want to do the same things he did to lose weight. I explained that those words hurt and do nothing to motivate me. That he has to understand that I am fighting against medications, depression, bipolar disorder, hypothyroidism, and sciatica that he never had to deal with. Losing weight is going to be different for me. It helped that I took him to my doctor's appointment yesterday and had the doctor explain to him that I'm not lazy, but that medically speaking, my metabolism isn't working the same as a "normal" person's does. Also, he is a wonderful husband and father in every aspect except harsh words when it comes to my weight loss. He is not abusive to me in any other way, and I'm not even sure I would count an argument where he said hurtful words as being "abusive". I was looking for some encouragement when he said hurtful words, not to hear that I should divorce him over an argument. Good grief.

I was glad to see this - I am glad you sat and spoke to your husband. What he said was very nasty but sounds like you managed the communication afterwards very well. Take care, be strong, eat well. Posting in this public forum can be quite dangerous as people don't know you, the back story, the tone of your problem etc. Maybe next time just ring and talk to a real person. :flowerforyou:
  • Khittle123
    Khittle123 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Have you tried talking to him about how he speaks to you?
  • VogtAndrea
    Options
    It sounds like your husband is a very frustrated man but that doesn't make it right for him to emotionally blast you in order to vent his frustration. Just gently put down everything, get the kids ready, and go walk gently till your stomach settles... but leave him behind if he's not ready. When the kids are whiny, ask him to carry one or more if he's with you.
    When you're done the walk, put the kids down for that nap and explain nicely to him that emotional abuse is not only destructive to your relationship but is destroying your respect for him as a human being. Ask him what it would take both of you to treat each other with dignity and respect instead of tearing one another down. If there's no good answer, he might get to like sleeping on the couch.
  • minburke
    minburke Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    I'd be turning around and asking why he is even saying something like that. Obviously he has issues of his own if he thinks that's appropriate. If he says anything again ask him why he feels its necessary to react that way and maybe he should see someone.
  • dga226
    dga226 Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    its hard when one person in the marriage is motivated at differnt times then there spouse but i started out by everytime a commerical is on i get up and walk and so on
  • mdcnwolf
    mdcnwolf Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Got a confession for you hon. My hubby has been doing that to me for YEARS. We have been married 15.5 years and he has said that until just recently. I was getting ready to go on a photo shoot and he said the darndest thing. "Gosh, you HAVE lost a bit. When did that happen and how much?" So I told him what I had lost but I also told him I had been working on it for a while. This was December 1st, 2012. He hasn't called me fat *kitten* since. I once told him that until I stopped saying "I love you" or started drastic changes, he didn't have to worry about looking over his shoulder (he saw my modeling pictures from a while ago). BUT if he noticed a difference in the way I looked, acted or any other changes, he better realize that I have been unhappy for a while and I may be changing more then just me. I think he saw the wake up sign. He has been really nice for the past weeks. And I still have a bit to go in the loss. Just hang in there honey, Use the comment as fuel for your determination. Talk to me if you want, I have been and I am sure, still am in the place you are in right now. Just remember you are doing this for YOU not him. If you have little ones, do this for THEM. My motivation is my son, who just turned 8. My hubby didn't want him and until recently, told me so on a regular basis to the point my son told his father 13 months ago that he KNEW his daddy would never love him they way mommy, Noni and Baba do. He also informed him that he KNEW his daddy didn't want him and that Mommy had been telling him that daddy DID want him and loved him.
    My son is my biggest support and cheering squad. Believe in yourself. I do.
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    I understand that you believe in your marriage vows and don't believe in divorce. And in most circumstances I do think people should try and work things out. But, there is only one thing I believe in most strongly of all and above everything else and that is that it's not ok to abuse people, especially not children or the mother of your children. If he is not willing to get help, I would not stay in that or keep my children in that.
  • sarahmarc
    sarahmarc Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Calling you names makes him feel better.... Abuse comes in all shapes and forms. If this is your normal self confidence will be your savour! You will lose weight, you will be awesome and maybe you will get what you deserve....it's all about choices,
  • dana5969
    dana5969 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    My very overweight sister told me just a few days ago... "if you do not change, it is because it hasn't hurt you enough or it hasn't cost you enough." In other words, if you want to change your weight and you have wanted it for a long time, but haven't changed it, well, either you haven't been hurt bad enough or it hasn't cost you enough yet to truly change your eating or exercise habits... Well, I thought about that for a long time, feeling convicted, my sisters and I have struggled with our weight for a long time. Thankfully, we all married wonderful men who would not speak rudely or disrespectfully to us. Sometimes I try to imagine what being called a rude name would be like, would it motivate me to lose weight? Of course, I would not wish that on myself or anyone, but I believe that putting your husband's thoughtlessness aside for a minute, USE IT, Use it as motivation, use the hurt to CHANGE. I hope you receive this in the spirit it is intended... sometimes HURT is exactly the kind of motivation you will need to lose the weight. Then you can choose to forgive your husband and enjoy the new you together or you can leave his sorry self looking mighty hot while you walk away.
    One other thought, your husband said what I imagine my brothers in law and husband have thought to themselves, but would never voice. At least he was honestly sharing his thoughts. My brothers in law and husband may be enabling our fattening habits by their "keeping their thoughts to themselves." A marriage is about speaking the truth in love. Perhaps our husbands have both missed this ideal, yours told the truth but not in love, mine by not saying what he's thinking. Either way, you can use the hurt to change. God bless!
  • atamrowski
    atamrowski Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    Punch him in the jaw. Just kidding :/

Growing up in a family where my stepfather was verbally abusive to my mother (I'm not saying his is but his tone leads me to believe this isn't the only "bad" thing he's said to you), I can understand how you feel. Instead of feeling sorry for yourself about HOW his comments make you feel, use that as fuel to motivate YOURSELF your small changes do make a difference.

Leaving him is not the answer but re-evaluating the environment you are in is indeed the answer.
  • atamrowski
    atamrowski Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    bump
  • deedeeFP
    Options
    I really hope you loss all the weight you want and meet your goals. Then when you do, get some sexy outfits and file for a divorce. No man should verbally abuse you like this. I understand you don't believe in divorce but he needs to do a 180. He should be telling you that your're beautiful just the way you are but if you want o loss weigh I'll help you. If you want to add me as a friend I'll try to encourage you as much as possible to stay on track.
  • Juashmom
    Options
    I don't know anything about your marriage so I'm not going to judge and say your husband is verbally abusive sadly some people think this is how you motivate others....assuming he's the misinformed motivator I would tell him that he isn't helping you by calling your names.
  • HPChelsey
    Options
    Talk to him. Tell him your feelings. I know my husband isn't a great listener, but when I am at my breaking point, he gets really serious about helping me out. I fully believe in marriage as well so I wouldn't suggest you leave him... Unless he is physically abusing you or your children. Verbal abuse can be addressed... My dad is proof of that. Anyway, I like to let my food digest as well. If I do any kind of exercise too soon after eating, I get very nauseaus.

Is your husband from a military family or in the military himself? If so, maybe he is trying to motivate you by using drill instructor type of speaking.
  • sunflowerbrandy
    Options
    In summary to all the comments DITTO, What a $^&*(.. Use his negivity and prove him wrong.. PS- If he is doing this to you infront of your kids, thats a whole different matter..
  • tlatrice13
    tlatrice13 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    OK, you believe in honoring your vows, but he OBVIOUSLY doesn't believe in honoring his...you know, he vowed to love, HONOR AND CHERISH you. Doesn't sound like he's keeping his end of the bargain.

I don't know how long the whole "use his words to motivate you' thing will work. At some point, you have to be replenished. You can't continue to give love and not get it back. Soon you will be depleted.
  • nashsheri33
    nashsheri33 Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    well, that stinks! if he was being a temporary butthead, oh well, forgive him and move on.

but, dear, if he talks to you like this on a regular basis, it's grounds for a divorce. it is abuse. i know you believe in your wedding vows and you do not believe in divorce. do you take being a mother seriously? your husband's behavior will affect your children. and not in a good way. your decision to stay will also affect your children, not in a good way. and if he talks to you like this, i expect he also talks to the children like this. and if he doesn't not, then it's likely that he will in the future. you must refuse to put up with this. either he changes this unacceptable behavior, or you and the children must leave. they need a parent who is loving and responsible, and it looks like you are it.
  • abrahamsitososa
    abrahamsitososa Posts: 716 Member
    Options
    I didn't even realize this post was still going. Just to catch everyone up... we did talk. He apologized for calling me these names. Yes, it did start when I started to make a lifestyle change. He admitted that he's insecure about me making changes. He also figured that since he has lost 40 lbs, I would want to do the same things he did to lose weight. I explained that those words hurt and do nothing to motivate me. That he has to understand that I am fighting against medications, depression, bipolar disorder, hypothyroidism, and sciatica that he never had to deal with. Losing weight is going to be different for me. It helped that I took him to my doctor's appointment yesterday and had the doctor explain to him that I'm not lazy, but that medically speaking, my metabolism isn't working the same as a "normal" person's does. Also, he is a wonderful husband and father in every aspect except harsh words when it comes to my weight loss. He is not abusive to me in any other way, and I'm not even sure I would count an argument where he said hurtful words as being "abusive". I was looking for some encouragement when he said hurtful words, not to hear that I should divorce him over an argument. Good grief.

I'm glad things were resolved without jumping to conclusions. I had a feeling he didn't really mean it and would apologize.
  • mochalishious
    mochalishious Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Sounds like he is insecure with himself. Use his negative words to fuel yourself. He is feeling threatened & like a man he's afraid to tell you. Don't let him stop you!