Being called a "fat *kitten*" by my husband....

Options

Replies

• Ebelina07
    Options
    hi, how r u doing? i think u should try as much as possible to ignore every negative word ever said by anybody...even your husband! my advice 2 u is 2 love yourself no matter what. make friends wit 2 or more people in your area who want to loose weight. you guys can go to the gym and diet together. loose weight for yourself and you. love your husband against all odds tho. i strongly believe in marriage vows. if loosing weight would make your marriage work, do it and be motivated by that!
  • Ebelina07
    Options
    pple dont divorce like that girl! like some people said, "turn his downgrading to upgrading"
  • angelacooper3
    angelacooper3 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I had exactly the same comments. He also told me that I repulsed him and made his flesh crawl. This was a man that complained when I was far slimmer that he thought I had an ED (never have) I divorced the sorry ****** lost 35lbs, kept 21 of it off these past 8 years and never looked back. Encouragement is good, emotional and verbal abuse isn't
  • Laura8603
    Laura8603 Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    Crazy. I would never allow anyone to treat me that way.
  • tpt1950
    tpt1950 Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately the problems you obviously have with your husband have nothing to do with being lazy or having to lose weight. Seek a marriage counselor or a priest for advice and guidance. If you believe in marriage vows you need to do something about this kind of verbal abuse before it turns into something else.
  • joanfudala
    joanfudala Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I also had an ex that made negative, derogatory remarks about my weight. When I was heavy, he would comment that I was lucky to have someone like him because nobody else would want me. The funny thing is, the remarks got worse as I started loosing weight! Looking back, I realize his remarks were due to some inferiority issues on his part. I am now 40 pounds lighter - his next girlfriend after me weighed over 300 pounds. Now, both of them have lost weight and he has apologized for his past comments. Don't give up - we are all rooting for you!
  • mdcnwolf
    mdcnwolf Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    :smile:
  • lotusspark
    Options
    just take those hurtful words and turn them in to motivation. PROVE HIM WRONG! XD then he will just be the stupid one.

kmkgurl has this nailed. You want to make him see his words will not effect your commitment to 'You'. He secretly is probablly afraid of what happens next once you get the weight off. Just 'show' him, you're doing it and pay him no attention.
  • UKMarjie
    UKMarjie Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    To those of you saying that it doesn't take hours for food to digest, I know that. If you read my original post, I wanted my two children to nap first so they wouldn't be cranky and ruin our walk. I did take a short nap because I was so upset by what he said. However, I woke up, but on my workout clothes, and went by myself. He asked if I was taking the kids, and I just walked out the door. I walked a mile alone. It felt good. When I got home, he did apologize. He said he's just so used to me making excuses and not following through, that it pissed him off. I did explain to him that I will not tolerate him name calling anymore and that if it continues he just may end up losing the best thing he ever had. I don't want to ever end my marriage, but I can't keep living like this either. He seemed sincere when he apologized, but I'm still hurt and angry. He only talks to me like this about my weight. He has lost 40 lbs over the last two years and now thinks everyone should do it the way he did. I am seeking treatment for bipolar disorder and depression already. I do go to individual therapy already.

There are a lot of serious issues in this situation. Name calling is never acceptable - but sadly it comes out more often than not directed at our family members. There is a lot of pressure in the family when you have some of the issues you are discussing (glad you are getting help medically and with someone to speak to). My aunt was bipolar and it was often difficult to cope with some of her issues - never would it be acceptable to abuse her because of them.

Men like solutions. They like process and they aren't always great at going at problems directly - as in they often are angry about something over there and vent about something over here (hell most people do that). What I am wondering is if his focus on weight is something that he feels that you both can control in a situation where there are lots of variables (kids, mental illness, careers, marriage ups and downs). I don't say it was a proud moment for him and that it is not something which needs to be worked on (communication) but sometimes if you go back and ask him about it he may give you more insight - like his follow through comment. I have found that when my husband feels out of control on something else (health issues, money, whatever) and it is really working him he isn't at his best and he nit picks on things in a really non-productive, hurtful and sometimes bull**** way. What I do is think: 'what is happening in his life?' and then I figure out if it qualifies for his stress times - then call him calmly on his bull**** and ask him what else is going on. I don't pander to his crap - not cool to act like a baby and throw your rattle out of the pram and hurt people because you don't know how to cope with what is happening - but I also listen to what else is happening.

Living with mental illness is not a get out of jail free card for bad behaviour but it is something that might require support for the whole family. Education and support are things which will help you. Every marriage has its highs and lows that involve throwing bouquets and slinging mud - and when people are being truthful things get said that are ugly and people do get over them. If it becomes a cycle then you have to reevaluate.
  • dnaraml
    dnaraml Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    What an *kitten*! You do not deserve to be talked to like that. Use the anger and frustration that you have to prove him wrong. You will feel amazing when you reach your goal and you are healthy. Do not let him verbally abuse you. Do not let him bring you dow down
  • sleepawakemolly
    Options
    Sounds to me like you would be better off single. You can feel miserable about yourself all BY yourself! I understand the value of marriage vows however, those vows do not include being mentally and emotionally abused. If your husband is calling you a fat *kitten*, it is in my opinion that he is miserable with himself and needs to make you feel bad to make himself feel better. If your marriage means that much to you, then I suggest that you speak one-on-one with your husband and let him know exactly how his words make you feel. If he won't listen, or doesn't understand what you are explaining then find a way to make him understand. Perhaps a night spent at the hotel all by yourself (without telling him where you're going) will wake him up a little!
  • aortiz1112
    Options
    @joanfudala Wow did we have the same ex and not know it? :laugh:
  • BranMuffin947
    BranMuffin947 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    =/ I get the same crap & I'm not married.
  • wonderwoman1974
    wonderwoman1974 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    doesn't really help. I've been dieting and doing light exercise. Just because I wanted to put our kids down for a nap after lunch and let my food digest before going for a 4 mile long walk doesn't make me lazy. I never said we weren't going to go, just that I wanted to wait a few hours. However, being called a lazy fat *kitten* by him doesn't really make me feel all that motivated to work out. Being told that I will never be thin again, that I will never be good for anything, and that I'm stupid isn't going to fix anything and just makes me feel worse about what little progress I've made. It also doesn't really help my depression. I know everyone's going to say to just leave him, but I actually believe in my marriage vows and don't believe in divorce.

My ex husband used to treat me that way. Unfortunately, my depression got the best of me and it took a serious wake up call for me to take control of my life. I went from 242 to 165 in a 7 month span out of sheer will and determination. I finally realized that I MATTERED and what he said had no control over my life. You have to do the same. I also valued my marriage, I stayed in a physically and verbally abusive marriage for 13. 5 years and had 2 children with him before I walked away...less than a year after that wake up call.

I'm not saying walk away or not. I am saying find your strength within yourself and DO IT FOR YOU. Don't let him control you. HE doesn't deserve that power, take it back.

Feel free to add me if you would like. I wish the best of luck in your journey! Know that YOU CAN DO THIS!!
  • Iceman420
    Iceman420 Posts: 195
    Options
    Wow, that guy is a real jerk. I can't tell you what to do, but I can say marriage vows are worthless if you are being abused like that. Don't let him drive you deeper into depression.
  • Sul3i
    Sul3i Posts: 553 Member
    Options
    I didn't even realize this post was still going. Just to catch everyone up... we did talk. He apologized for calling me these names. Yes, it did start when I started to make a lifestyle change. He admitted that he's insecure about me making changes. He also figured that since he has lost 40 lbs, I would want to do the same things he did to lose weight. I explained that those words hurt and do nothing to motivate me. That he has to understand that I am fighting against medications, depression, bipolar disorder, hypothyroidism, and sciatica that he never had to deal with. Losing weight is going to be different for me. It helped that I took him to my doctor's appointment yesterday and had the doctor explain to him that I'm not lazy, but that medically speaking, my metabolism isn't working the same as a "normal" person's does. Also, he is a wonderful husband and father in every aspect except harsh words when it comes to my weight loss. He is not abusive to me in any other way, and I'm not even sure I would count an argument where he said hurtful words as being "abusive". I was looking for some encouragement when he said hurtful words, not to hear that I should divorce him over an argument. Good grief.

Its great to hear u guys talked about it and resolved n seem to be on a better path!! Best wishes. :flowerforyou:
  • bkind2nmals
    bkind2nmals Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I feel so sad reading your story!! :sad: My husband is the opposite. He actually likes me at this bigger size which doesn't give me much motivation to want to change. But I will take that over what you are experiencing any day. As far as divorce, I had a horrible first marriage and gained a ton of weght bc of depression and feeling alone and, even though I resisted the divorce (he wanted it), I called it the easiest diet I ever went on. I lost 170 pounds the first day after the divorce and then another 40 on my own just by loving myself again and starting an exercise program. I agree emotional deprivation can cause weight gain and low self esteem and it is abusive. We support you in your efforts to change your lifestyle and don't let your spouse's comments bring you down!!
  • jdanjos
    Options
    Those words are not motivation, I don't care which way you stir it. You might want to talk to him and tell him 1. That is verbal abuse 2. You will not tolerate it.

Verbal abuse ended my marriage. I let it go on and it got to the point where it was embarrassing, my x would say things in public.

I'd say tell him to stop it now before he feels he can say anything at anytime. No need for name calling in a good healthy loving relationship.
  • anna_1991
    Options
    I am sorry but your husband sounds very immature. These are comments I would expect from kids and not a grown up man. I believe in marriage vows too but it's so terrible to put your spouse down. Your only answer is to show him results not by talking but by your body.

I can imagine it would have upset you. Big hugs !!!
    :flowerforyou:
  • First off, how rude of him. We all have our flaws whether it be weight, tobacco uses, alcohol, etc.

Sit down and explain to him that this really hurts you emotionally when he says this stuff. Help him see where you are coming from. Give him some examples of things he can do/say to be more of a support system.

I know you believe in your marriage, you have to also believe in what you are worth. Forget how you feel, remember what you deserve. To be loved and supported, unconditionally. If stuff like this is ongoing, then it could be emotional abuse. Seek couples counseling.

You can do this. DO this for you, not him. Stay positive. It is one step at a time...