i dont get it

Options

Replies

• Shen191
    Shen191 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    More healthy =/= perfectly healthy. In a perfect world, all our food would be organic and pure and lovely, but the majority of us live in an imperfect reality where we make compromises every day to try to meet our nutritional needs while staying within a budget, cooperating with friends and family, meeting the demands of a busy schedule, etc. For many people, an all-or-nothing mentality is an invitation to failure: "Well, I had a Twinkie, so now everything is ruined and I might as well just eat a whole bucket of fried chicken." For a lot of folks, being able to be more healthy without expecting 100% perfection is the only way to make a lifestyle change that will stick.

Love it :)
  • meeper123
    meeper123 Posts: 3,347 Member
    Options
    Those that focus too hard on the flaws of others will never fix their own.
  • Surfer_Rosita
    Surfer_Rosita Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Being positive is a better way to go...... if you're recovering from an eating disorder as you say you are you shouldn't really be dieting without a doctor's supervision. There's more dangerous things than splenda to your health. Take care of yourself.
  • PhearlessPhreaks
    PhearlessPhreaks Posts: 890 Member
    Options
    Half of your diary is "quick added" calories.

At least we are being honest about what we are eating.

(honestly I don't care what you put in your diary, I'm just making a point....glass houses)

Exactly the point I was going to make! Worry about your own health, and let others worry about theirs.
  • peaceloveweedandveggies
    Options

(honestly I don't care what you put in your diary, I'm just making a point....glass houses)

thats actually because almost everything i eat is home made and i cant be bothered to list out every single ingrediant. i eat mutiple meals a day. every 3-4 hours and cant spend all that time logging eerything. i add it up and scan everything else that i can.
  • Emma_Problema
    Emma_Problema Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    Why chastise someone for a lack of knowledge or education? You can't make everyone be perfectly healthy. Very few people are even close to perfect about their eating and many of those people are incredibly obsessive. Spread a little knowledge in the nicest way possible and see what happens. Some people may change their behaviors and some will not. The only thing you can do is work on you and educate a few people along the way.

Spread the love of a healthy body and a good diet, not the judgement.
  • ubermensch13
    ubermensch13 Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    More healthy =/= perfectly healthy. In a perfect world, all our food would be organic and pure and lovely, but the majority of us live in an imperfect reality where we make compromises every day to try to meet our nutritional needs while staying within a budget, cooperating with friends and family, meeting the demands of a busy schedule, etc. For many people, an all-or-nothing mentality is an invitation to failure: "Well, I had a Twinkie, so now everything is ruined and I might as well just eat a whole bucket of fried chicken." For a lot of folks, being able to be more healthy without expecting 100% perfection is the only way to make a lifestyle change that will stick.

well thats because im recovering from an eating disorder but thats not the point. that is a mental illness.
    so id i said in moderation i should drink because thats better then doing meth is that okay too?

Yes, it is a better choice. It IS better to drink from time to time than doing Meth......

but so if i do meth once in a while it wont kill me. so if i mess up from time to time and fall to meth it wont kill me? but it will. and so is ingesting toxic material. i put things into my body that i know i need and yeah im broke most of the time as most people are these days, and i do have to make compromises but i cant knowingly put t\anything into my body that will cause it harm.

Wow, do you read what you write? You asked if it would be ok to drink instead of doing meth, not doing a little meth instead of a lot of meth. It is sort of like asking, is it better to die a little or a lot....of course that is a logically flawed question.

Again, you do not clarify what you mean by "bad". Your definition might not be mine, or to be honest, the general Scientific communities.
  • RobynMWilson
    RobynMWilson Posts: 1,540 Member
    Options

^^AGREED! I have kept my 70lbs off for over 20 years by allowing myself to be imperfect. It's progress, not perfection. I'm sure you would pick apart my food diary for today b/c of my Thomas' Light English muffin, all natural peanut butter (no salt added but high fat), slice of American cheese (sinner!!), Chobani fruit on the bottom yogurt (sugar laden), my (OMGosh I didn't!) diet Sierra Mist...nevermind the mix of egg yolks and egg whites, the chicken and salad for dinner (oh, wait, BBQ sauce and creamy Ceasar dressing? BAD BAD) and I went over 11 whole calories!

You know what? I've kept my weight off for longer than half the people on here have been alive. I have a better body and can run circles around a lot of ppl HALF MY AGE. And I'm happy with my imperfections and my imperfect eating plan because it's DOABLE for ME. And I help people because I'm not sitting here criticizing them, but HELPING them because I don't put myself on a pedestal above ANYONE!
  • Surfer_Rosita
    Surfer_Rosita Posts: 6 Member
    Options

well thats because im recovering from an eating disorder but thats not the point. that is a mental illness.
    so id i said in moderation i should drink because thats better then doing meth is that okay too?

Yes, it is a better choice. It IS better to drink from time to time than doing Meth......

but so if i do meth once in a while it wont kill me. so if i mess up from time to time and fall to meth it wont kill me? but it will. and so is ingesting toxic material. i put things into my body that i know i need and yeah im broke most of the time as most people are these days, and i do have to make compromises but i cant knowingly put t\anything into my body that will cause it harm.

Being positive is a better way to go...... if you're recovering from an eating disorder as you say you are you shouldn't really be dieting without a doctor's supervision. There's more dangerous things than splenda to your health. Take care of yourself.
  • extraordinary_machine
    extraordinary_machine Posts: 3,028 Member
    Options
    *giggle* I remember what it was like to be 21and know everything...

Oh wait, no I didn't. Nor did become a Judgy McJudgerson when it came to people's choices.

eta: I home cook the majority of my meals too and it sure doesn't take as long to log my recipes as it does to create a pointless thread bashing people on a fitness forum. :flowerforyou:
  • LittleMissNerdy
    LittleMissNerdy Posts: 792 Member
    Options
    I'm just going to sit here and eat some popcorn that could kill me...carry on :drinker:
  • RobynMWilson
    RobynMWilson Posts: 1,540 Member
    Options

thats actually because almost everything i eat is home made and i cant be bothered to list out every single ingrediant. i eat mutiple meals a day. every 3-4 hours and cant spend all that time logging eerything. i add it up and scan everything else that i can.

Quick added calories kinda defeats the purpose of logging, doesn't it? lol For all we know it could be a 30 pack of beer!
  • Lacey_Cakes
    Lacey_Cakes Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    but its just crazy how people dont realize that its bad, but justify that its not as bad as something else there for its acceptable. if your not fully committed why even bother?

So, basically, if we aren't going to be perfect than we shouldn't try to improve our health?

That is quite possibly the stupidest logic I've ever heard.

agreed.
  • Bobby__Clerici
    Bobby__Clerici Posts: 741 Member
    Options
    well thats because im recovering from ... a mental illness.
    BINGO!
    Have a nice night....:yawn:
  • Hanfordrose
    Hanfordrose Posts: 688 Member
    Options
    Sometimes, people are taking their 'first steps' at a healthier life. That might not be as carefully thought out as your life style or food plan, but they are doing the best they can...at this time in their life. Other folks may only want to make temporary, short term changes...experiment with their food, until they are ready to commit to a more restricted diet. Of course, others will eat all of those things that you find 'poisonous' and still be happy with their life. We can only be here to encourage. I am almost 68 years old, and I gave up trying to change people a long time ago. My goal is to focus on making myself better. I am sure that my food plan would be far from acceptable to you, but I am so happy to finally have a food plan and be losing weight. In the future, I also hope to be able to do many things which you take for granted...like standing and walking without pain. Each of us comes to MFP hoping for a better life...and support. Isn't that what you were seeking, when you came here? Just be patient and realize that you can't change anyone but yourself, Sis. That is a big enough job for each of us. :heart:
  • kimberliiw
    kimberliiw Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    I'm going to go smoke some meth and eat a cheese burger.

You're going to eat a cheeseburger?!!!
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options

^^AGREED! I have kept my 70lbs off for over 20 years by allowing myself to be imperfect. It's progress, not perfection. I'm sure you would pick apart my food diary for today b/c of my Thomas' Light English muffin, all natural peanut butter (no salt added but high fat), slice of American cheese (sinner!!), Chobani fruit on the bottom yogurt (sugar laden), my (OMGosh I didn't!) diet Sierra Mist...nevermind the mix of egg yolks and egg whites, the chicken and salad for dinner (oh, wait, BBQ sauce and creamy Ceasar dressing? BAD BAD) and I went over 11 whole calories!

You know what? I've kept my weight off for longer than half the people on here have been alive. I have a better body and can run circles around a lot of ppl HALF MY AGE. And I'm happy with my imperfections and my imperfect eating plan because it's DOABLE for ME. And I help people because I'm not sitting here criticizing them, but HELPING them because I don't put myself on a pedestal above ANYONE!

Thank you Robyn. Thank you.
  • Lacey_Cakes
    Lacey_Cakes Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    *giggle* I remember what it was like to be 21and know everything...

Oh wait, no I didn't. Nor did become a Judgy McJudgerson when it came to people's choices.

Judgy McJudgerson- love it
  • saraann4
    saraann4 Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    What I don't get is why your diary is mostly quick add calories? You say it's homemade and you can't be bothered with adding EVERY single ingredient. Yeah whatever. Do you know what it's in your Diet Coke hun? You need to be worried about other things.
  • PhearlessPhreaks
    PhearlessPhreaks Posts: 890 Member
    Options
    Oh, OP, I just wanted you to know I ate delicious General Tso's stray cat tonight. It was unhealthily phenomenal.
This discussion has been closed.