What have you seen new year resolutionists do at the gym!

Options

Replies

• Darkskinned88
    Darkskinned88 Posts: 1,177 Member
    Options
    i seen a couple impromptu photoshoots, way too many hairy bellys (seriously whats with the small gym shirts guys), some personal trainer groping, and the one shoulder flashdance shirt style seems to be the theme of 2013
  • bbail016
    bbail016 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    They walk in late to class and then expect a one-on-one intro, it drives me crazy! Be respectful enough to the instructor, and yourself for that matter, and SHOW UP ON TIME! Sheesh! <rant over>
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    holding onto the treadmill
    Along these same lines, why in the world do people grab the rails and jump with their feet out to the sides to stop when running? I'm pretty sure I've never seen a person in the real world change from an 8.5mph pace to 0.0mph in less than a second.

That and it's extremely dangerous. Doing so can make you pass out. Have seen it a couple times.....not pretty.
  • EstiloPanama
    Options
    I work out at home, so no funny/weird stories here. But I do remember being at the gym, and some lady was on the treadmill. She fell completely and slid backwards. No one stopped to help her! I got off my machine and asked if she was okay. She tried to shrug it off and I let her be, but still. Dang, that was violent.

LOL @ your story..omg.
  • EstiloPanama
    Options
    Yesterday

A clearly out of shape, overly hairy guy stepped into the gym after his first dose of roids.

His routine
    -Beat up the punching bag until it got knocked off its base, while grunting and growling loudly.
    -Pull ups: Thirty or so badly formed and making it to the top of his head, not chin.
    -Grunt and growl
    -Grabs 50 lb dumbbells and proceeds to do flys after bugging me to finish with the bench
    -Beat up punching bag
    -more 50 lb weights
    -10 awful pullups
    -Leg presses. Full weights
    -Fart.

I couldn't wait to get out of there

POOR GUY BUT AT LEAST HE'S TRYING.

LOL are you sure it wasn't a caveman?
  • REDROBE_69
    Options
    Sitting on the equipment and staring at people. Taking up space!
  • jennielou75
    jennielou75 Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    Not a newbie as I have seen this guy at the gym for months never fails to make me smile. He is quite a shirt slightly built man who obviously thinks lifting heavy is going to bulk him up. He goes on the lat pull down and puts it on the highest weight. He reaches up to pull the bar down but can't he then lifts his feet off the floor and uses his whole body weight to pull the bar down to his chest. He then lets it go so it bangs up. He does this three times then gets up does a whole body shake and walks off. Of course the whole process is accompanied by loud grunts and groans!!!!
  • lorenzoinlr
    lorenzoinlr Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    Not only are there few resolutionists at my local 24 Hour, but participation in general dropped noticeably after the holidays. Around here the beach season gets it going.
  • lstewart_3
    lstewart_3 Posts: 807 Member
    Options
    I swim, a lot, at my gym and ive seen people do pull ups on handle for backstroke starts in the pool. I heard one guy said he did 100 of those kind so they had to be at least 5 regular pull ups.....
  • I'm too busy working out to notice everyone else, but have fun judging other people...if it makes you feel better about yourself. :)
  • quirkytizzy
    quirkytizzy Posts: 4,052 Member
    Options
    My husband is a resolutionist this year. He holds on when he walks on the treadmill, he may get up to 3.6 mph. What people don't know is that he's already done 30-40 minutes of strength training and he's disabled with muscular dystrophy. He looks like a strapping man, not someone who is disabled. He hasn't done ANY cardio work in the 23 years that we've been together until January 1st of this year. He is wearing brand new sneakers because he has had 20+ operations on his feet and if he wears old sneakers, he can't walk the next day. He has to consult his workout card to know what to set the machines at and what weights to set.

You know what? I am super proud of him!

This. I just started out, so if someone saw me walking slow, they wouldn't have known I just came off a minute long stretch of running - OR how hard that short amount of running is for someone who isn't in shape and has such an ill-fitting bra as mine. I don't hold onto the rails, but if I were, you can damn sure bet it's because even at 5% incline and 3.0 mph, I am certain I will fall off otherwise.

I'd rather kill some of the calorie burn than fly off the treadmill or give myself boobie bruises and bad knees from pushing myself too hard on the machine!
  • RedHotHunter
    RedHotHunter Posts: 560 Member
    Options
    I'm too busy working out to notice everyone else, but have fun judging other people...if it makes you feel better about yourself. :)

Exactly!
  • courtneylee31
    courtneylee31 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    I go to the gym just about every single day, and I've now noticed ALOT more people there, on the stationary bikes, pedaling extremely slow. Wtf are you there for?
  • Cognito1025
    Cognito1025 Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    I see people taking the first steps at getting in shape and making positive change. You can't learn unless you try...
  • courtneylee31
    courtneylee31 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    I see people taking the first steps at getting in shape and making positive change. You can't learn unless you try...

true enough
  • LeightonSays
    Options
    Give out phone numbers like they are business cards to multiple girls at the gym.
  • verdancyhime
    verdancyhime Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    holding onto the treadmill
    I don't understand this one.

If you are walking/running on an incline and you're holding onto the treadmill like its a set of handlebars... you're doing it wrong.

I didn't know that. The gym I've been to has those heart rate monitor things, and if you let go of them, it beeps angrily at you. I assumed I shouldn't be holding on for dear life, but should I just not touch these while using a treadmill or what?
  • Cognito1025
    Cognito1025 Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    Give out phone numbers like they are business cards to multiple girls at the gym.

I've never seen this...I go to a YMCA so most people are in their 60's. :) Although I'm sure old dudes have needs too
  • LeightonSays
    Options

I've never seen this...I go to a YMCA so most people are in their 60's. :) Although I'm sure old dudes have needs too

yep, lots of men do it at my gym.. even 60 year olds! I wonder who told people they should do that!
  • moneypenny50
    moneypenny50 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Can't wait for the crowds to thin out. Same thing every year. Zumba was so crowded, it go so hot, i thought I was going to pass out.