if health is #1, what is your #2 reason to lose weight?

Options

Replies

• mara232
    mara232 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I want to dump the fat lady stores and feel more confident about myself. I also want to keep up with my busy 7 year old. Went tobogganing with my sister and the kids, he told me that I can't toboggan because I am too fat. :( He already knows that I cannot do a lot of stuff with him so he thinks I can't do anything.
  • scrapscot
    scrapscot Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    Definitely to look good. At 64, obviously health is #1. After looking at pictures taken this weekend at the Rangers Fanfest, I want to look a whole lot skinnier at next year's event!
  • mininipuce
    mininipuce Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I want to buy an itsy bitsy teeny weeny yellow polka dot bikini :tongue:

that's my #2!!!

#1 is for sure being healthy

#3 it related to #2, not being ashamed of my belly anymore
  • DP325i
    DP325i Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    To anyone who frowns on people for being shallow because they want to look good: you must not know how exilerating it is to love how you look. People also treat you better, you get paid and promoted more, and you have a broader range of relationship prospects. There is absolutely nothing wrong with wanting to look good. Everyone wants it, and regardless of what anyone says, it does improve the quality of your life tremendously.

Every single bit of that is probably true... and yet, how can one possibly put that above good health? I can't fathom it.

Then again, I have a VERY rich friend who swears he would rather be dead than poor.

You're missing the bigger pictures.

Every one of us is on here because we want something that, from our own (sometimes warped) perspective, we don't have. For people who have health concerns, a big part of this is probably healthy. For people who feel fat or weak or slow, it's to get leaner or stronger or faster. For people with self image issues, it's to feel better about ourselves.

SEE! So mental heath counts when it comes to self image! Finally a place to meet in the middle with vanity and health.
  • MizTerry
    MizTerry Posts: 3,763 Member
    Options
    I want my jeans back from my daughter. They were fabulous jeans.
  • minkakross
    minkakross Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    #2 to reduce the chance that my kids would be bullied in school for having the fat mom.
  • laurenellenmarie
    laurenellenmarie Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    I don't really have any health problems that are weight related. My biggest goal is to just be more confident and to wear clothes from normal stores. Lane Bryant is expensive!
  • jennfranklin
    jennfranklin Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    Health first, then energy level, then appearance!!!
  • justal313
    justal313 Posts: 1,375 Member
    Options
    Living a long life with my daughter. Since that is probably health, I will say it's having the ability to do fun active things and climb stairs without getting winded.
  • cuterbee
    cuterbee Posts: 545
    Options
    To anyone who frowns on people for being shallow because they want to look good: you must not know how exilerating it is to love how you look. People also treat you better and think more highly of you, you get paid and promoted more, and you have a broader range of relationship prospects. There is absolutely nothing wrong with wanting to look good. Everyone wants it, and regardless of what anyone says, it does improve the quality of your life tremendously.

I don't think it's shallow to want to look good, nor is it wrong to want to do so, and I'm fully in support of everyone who wants to look better!

However, not everyone wants that -- I think it's one of the things that kept me from losing weight. When I was thin, I got too much of the wrong sort of attention (if you know what I mean). I found that frightening at times (partly because I'm somewhat introverted, and partly some lingering childhood trauma crap). Now I think I'm old enough that the creepy people will leave me alone, and even if they don't, I'm a much scarier person myself when I want to be. BWA HA HA!
  • harribeau2012
    harribeau2012 Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    Looking good is my number 1.

Endurance and ability to exercise is my number 2, I'll be carrying less around.

I also care about other shallow sounding things, like pants size and being the small one in a group.

Health is also important, but I'm young and want to look good, at least I admit it!

I like your honesty!! :D
  • Angel37615
    Angel37615 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Because I have a whole wardrobe I don't fit into anymore.
  • RobynLB
    RobynLB Posts: 617 Member
    Options
    To be clear, what I am saying is, if you have NO HEALTH ISSUES, I totally understand vanity issues being #1. But to actually say that vanity is more important than health, well, I don't get that at all. I also notice that by looking at the pictures, most who say vanity are younger. Wait til you hit middle age, LOL.... I bet your opinions change.

Lol. I'm hitting 30, and I'm starting to see and feel it for sure!
  • alpine1994
    alpine1994 Posts: 1,915 Member
    Options
    To anyone who frowns on people for being shallow because they want to look good: you must not know how exilerating it is to love how you look. People also treat you better and think more highly of you, you get paid and promoted more, and you have a broader range of relationship prospects. There is absolutely nothing wrong with wanting to look good. Everyone wants it, and regardless of what anyone says, it does improve the quality of your life tremendously.

Completely agree. We did a case study in my HR class about this. Two women who had the exact same background and credentials applied to the same job and wore a hidden camera in their jackets. They made sure to have the same answers to the basic interview questions (why do you want to work here, strengths/weaknesses, etc.) One woman was thin, the other was overweight. All things being the same, the thin girl got the job. What's awesome is that the person doing the case study went back to the interviewer, showed him the footage, and asked why he picked the thin woman as opposed to the overweight one and he was like "uh...um...ah...". This may not be true in every single case of course, but it just goes to show that there's nothing wrong with trying to look your best.
  • RobynLB
    RobynLB Posts: 617 Member
    Options

I don't think it's shallow to want to look good, nor is it wrong to want to do so, and I'm fully in support of everyone who wants to look better!

However, not everyone wants that -- I think it's one of the things that kept me from losing weight. When I was thin, I got too much of the wrong sort of attention (if you know what I mean). I found that frightening at times (partly because I'm somewhat introverted, and partly some lingering childhood trauma crap). Now I think I'm old enough that the creepy people will leave me alone, and even if they don't, I'm a much scarier person myself when I want to be. BWA HA HA!

Lol. Take up boxing! You'll get super fit, and you'll be able to take care of any creepy people that give you the wrong sort of attention.
  • dawnp1833
    dawnp1833 Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    Every single bit of that is probably true... and yet, how can one possibly put that above good health? I can't fathom it.

When I was younger, looking good was number one. But now that I'm in middle age, health is number one. Being old and alone and having to depend on others terrifies me now. When I was in my 20's and 30's I just wanted to look hot, have a boyfriend and get promoted. Priorities change with age. I still want people to think I'm attractive, but that's more like #3 or 4 now.
  • Slack2ShortGo
    Slack2ShortGo Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    1. Health
    2. Confidence (Mine was low even before I gained weight)

I already feel better about myself with the weight I have lost.
    I used to not want to go anywhere I would recognize someone from high school or college for fear of what they would think.
    "What happen to him?"
  • kvrnmom02
    Options
    I have a few reasons and I am not sure what order they are in. Health, vanity, I don't want my son who is about to start middle school to be embarrassed by his fat mom, I want to stop hiding from having my picture taken, I want energy. We were at Disney this weekend b/c my son participated in the Kids race. Walking around the parks I had to keep asking my husband and son to slow down. I don't want to do that anymore.
  • madamecj82
    madamecj82 Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    1. Health
    2. Clothes
    3. Appearance
    4. Endurance
    5. Energy
    (And the list goes on .... lol!)
  • KAR1959
    KAR1959 Posts: 4,244 Member
    Options
    Appearance...I want to look good and wear all the things I've never been comfortable wearing. I love clothes and shopping. Also, for once I don't want to feel like the "biggest thing" in the room...I realize I feel that way even when I'm not the biggest.