Opinions on just wearing a sports bra to the gym?

Options

Replies

• ironmonkeystyle
    ironmonkeystyle Posts: 834 Member
    Options
    people voted. Apparently.
    And the people say that it's fine. So, there you go.

see: http://www.thegreatfitnessexperiment.com/2011/04/gym-etiquette-maam-your-sports-bra-is-showing-reader-question.html
    for poll results.
  • miqisha
    miqisha Posts: 1,534 Member
    Options
    When I used to go to the gym I saw girls do it all the while and I never thought anything negative about it. Especially if they looked nice, its the ones that have the belly roles rolling all over the place that makes me give a second look.

I believe if you are going to show your tummy it shouldn't be falling over the waist of the shorts or pants, that is just me
  • Bentley2718
    Bentley2718 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    Seems fine to me, as long as you don't mind being looked at, because in general, people are going to look. My rule of thumb is this, if you don't want people staring at it, cover it, if you don't care, bare it.
  • famlyluv
    famlyluv Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    ^^haha
  • Bentley2718
    Bentley2718 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    If you had to ask...you probably shouldn't. And...bras are undergarments. Even though it is a SPORTS bra...still a bra meant to be worn under something.

The vast majority of sports bras cover more than the majority of bikini tops.
  • Flawless_K
    Flawless_K Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    If you had to ask...you probably shouldn't. And...bras are undergarments. Even though it is a SPORTS bra...still a bra meant to be worn under something.

Ok...I'll just be clear(er). SPORTS BRA ARE NOT MEANT TO BE WORN BY THEMSELVES. PERIOD.
  • msorochan
    Options
    If you're comfortable in it, and you think it would improve your workout then why not!? I agree with other people, as long as you're wearing appropriate bottoms then I think you're good to go. Good for you for having that confidence!
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options

false
  • yoovie
    Options

Ok...I'll just be clear(er). SPORTS BRA ARE NOT MEANT TO BE WORN BY THEMSELVES. PERIOD.

even falser. you get one more try.
  • Alex_is_Hawks
    Alex_is_Hawks Posts: 3,499 Member
    Options
    I wore my sports tank once.....and I won't ever do it again...

the staring was painful.
  • yoovie
    Options
    sports bras are usually (not always but usually) listed under tops when you shop, not undergarments.

if you go to any major retailer for women's active wear, the front page, and all the pants shots are taken with only a sports bra as a top. Also, they wouldnt all come with matching bottoms if they were not supposed to show.

bras_main.jpg

Any argument that sports bras are underwear only, leads people to believe that the other half of all these matching sets should be worn under your pants. I refuse to wear pants under my pants.

If you feel comfortable exercising in just the top, then you should do it. But make sure it's classy, the correct size and you arent bursting out of it.
  • Muddy_Yogi
    Muddy_Yogi Posts: 1,459 Member
    Options
    This question always brings out the prudes. If you feel comfortable in it and it isn't against the dress code at your particular gym....go for it. I am hoping some day to be comfortable enough to run the streets wearing my sports bra and a pair of shorts!:tongue:
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    I used to dance and even perform in sports bra type of tops. One time I even performed in a bright yellow sports bra with a smiley face licking it's lips. It was a comedy. Why would they make a sports bra like that if it was not intended to be seen.
  • JUDDDing
    JUDDDing Posts: 1,367 Member
    Options
    the staring was painful.

Yeah, it seems like you'd either be stared at - and that would be a problem. Or you would not get stared at - and that would be a problem too. Or the wrong guy/girl would stare/not stare...

So it seems like it would be fine as long as you didn't particularly care any of those outcomes.
  • Flawless_K
    Flawless_K Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    sports bras are usually (not always but usually) listed under tops when you shop, not undergarments.

if you go to any major retailer for women's active wear, the front page, and all the pants shots are taken with only a sports bra as a top. Also, they wouldnt all come with matching bottoms if they were not supposed to show.

bras_main.jpg

Any argument that sports bras are underwear only, leads people to believe that the other half of all these matching sets should be worn under your pants. I refuse to wear pants under my pants.

If you feel comfortable exercising in just the top, then you should do it. But make sure it's classy, the correct size and you arent bursting out of it.

You have TOO much tiime on your hands...I'm going back to work....GOOD DAY ;-)
  • Jxnsmma
    Jxnsmma Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    I start out at the gym in 3 layers. tshirt, tank and sports bra. When I get hot, and start to drip, I take off the t shirt and use it to wipe my face, but leave on the tank...

but thats just me.
  • mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    Options
    As soon as my tummy is as firm as the pic above I will be for sure if I feel more comfortable.
  • mfpcopine
    mfpcopine Posts: 3,093 Member
    Options
    I see nothing wrong with it, so long as it fits well and is not the kind of sports bra that looks like intimate apparel.
  • TheAwesomeOwl
    Options
    If I had the body, I wouldn't hesitate.
  • yoovie
    Options

bras_main.jpg

You have TOO much tiime on your hands...I'm going back to work....GOOD DAY ;-)

good idea, since you dont know what you are talking about anyway.

I didnt realize that buying activewear to work out in was an indicator of too much time to waste - I thought it was being an informed shopper capable of multi-tasking but HEY! when you lose an argument!- always insult the other person and then stomp off.

kudos!