Whey protein is making you fat

Options

Replies

• babymaddux
    babymaddux Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    Surely milk is fattening due to its fat content?

Skimmed milk isn't fattening.

FAT isn't what makes people FAT.

How many times are we going to have to say this.... ::Face palm::

I hope you were being sarcastic.

couldn't have said it better myself
  • Mcgrawhaha
    Mcgrawhaha Posts: 1,596 Member
    Options
    well, i have a whey protien powder everyday after the gym, mixed with 30 cal almond milk and 1/2 cup frozen berries, and ive lost 50 pounds since september... so...

You're clearly doing it wrong.

yes... obviously
  • VorJoshigan
    VorJoshigan Posts: 1,106 Member
    Options
    the problem with skim millk is the amount of sugar in it, not the fat!!
    Only if you're insulin resistant. Otherwise, you're fine.
  • NeverGivesUp
    NeverGivesUp Posts: 960 Member
    Options
    Why take any of that artificial, processed stuff at all? Eat a steak and go on with your day.

^^^^ This. You should rule the world :love:

substitute steak with eggs or fish and I am with ya :) processed food and vitamins suck, just eat the real deal and cut to the chase.
  • lesita75
    lesita75 Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    The Broscience is strong within you!!!!
  • Mcgrawhaha
    Mcgrawhaha Posts: 1,596 Member
    Options
    the problem with skim millk is the amount of sugar in it, not the fat!!
    Only if you're insulin resistant. Otherwise, you're fine.

i use either almond milk or calorie countdown, and i dont think the sugar content is very high in either, in regards to someone who does not have an issue with insulin. http://www.hood.com/Products/prodListColl.aspx?id=851
  • amrozes
    amrozes Posts: 26
    Options
    Not that my comments matter at this point in this thread anyway.....I'd just like to say as a diabetic who knows all about insulin spikes, etc. .... Since September when I started supplementing with whey protein shakes, I have stabilized my blood sugar levels and lost over 30 lbs. Fat, Dairy, Sugars and other Carbs, Fiber, Protein -- they are all good for you and should have a place on your dietary shelf. The bottom line is moderation in all things .... and a little cardio and weightlifting thrown in for good measure. Despite all these studies, we all die of something ..... Just eat well, exercise, be kind and enjoy life. No one gets to the end of their life and says, "Wow, I wish I had not eaten all of that whey protein...."
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    Why take any of that artificial, processed stuff at all? Eat a steak and go on with your day.

^^^^ This. You should rule the world :love:

substitute steak with eggs or fish and I am with ya :) processed food and vitamins suck, just eat the real deal and cut to the chase.

All are insulinogenic, reposting again

Holt et al. An insulin index of foods: the insulin demand generated by 1000-kJ portions of common foods. American Journal of Clinical Nutrition, Vol 66, 1264-1276

http://www.ajcn.org/content/66/5/1264.full.pdf+html
  • darman
    darman Posts: 269
    Options
    Yep - this post confirms it for me - EVERYTHING that you find on the web is entirely true and factual
  • smokinjackd
    Options
    And it goes on and on and on..........
  • jjrichard83
    jjrichard83 Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    every week its something new...this week its good for ya...next week it isnt.. and the sheeple that run behind these "experts" spouting the newest craziness & fueling the flames of flubber paranoia is why the weightloss industry is a billion dollar entity.....

Dairy isn't the healthiest for you in general. We just believed the propanganda the meat and dairy industries have been spewing for years. Calcium can come from veggies. Why is it that humans need milk and dairy and other animals do not?

Milk and whey is 100% unnecessary.
  • jjrichard83
    jjrichard83 Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    Not that my comments matter at this point in this thread anyway.....I'd just like to say as a diabetic who knows all about insulin spikes, etc. .... Since September when I started supplementing with whey protein shakes, I have stabilized my blood sugar levels and lost over 30 lbs. Fat, Dairy, Sugars and other Carbs, Fiber, Protein -- they are all good for you and should have a place on your dietary shelf. The bottom line is moderation in all things .... and a little cardio and weightlifting thrown in for good measure. Despite all these studies, we all die of something ..... Just eat well, exercise, be kind and enjoy life. No one gets to the end of their life and says, "Wow, I wish I had not eaten all of that whey protein...."

I dont' think moderation in all things is good. A little LSD in moderation isn't good. And you may have stabilized your insulin from other things not related to the whey... even if it was, there are many other things that are healthier that will do it for you just as well or better.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    every week its something new...this week its good for ya...next week it isnt.. and the sheeple that run behind these "experts" spouting the newest craziness & fueling the flames of flubber paranoia is why the weightloss industry is a billion dollar entity.....

Dairy isn't the healthiest for you in general. We just believed the propanganda the meat and dairy industries have been spewing for years. Calcium can come from veggies. Why is it that humans need milk and dairy and other animals do not?

Milk and whey is 100% unnecessary.

That's gotta be it!! it's all just a big conspiracy! The meat industry, the dairy industry and of course the goverment are all in cahoots!! But no worries, I've got my tinfoil hat on so I'm safe.
  • eatcleanNtraindirty
    eatcleanNtraindirty Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    ALL THE COOKED FOODS ARE BAD FOR YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Eat raw vegan or be doomed to a life of illness!!!!!

I'll pass. I like eating meat. Anything with a face tastes great! If our bodies were made to only eat vegetables we would have all molar teeth past the front four (two bottom, & two top). Look at the teeth of mammals such as dolphins vs. horses/cows. Dolphins have all pointy sharp "canine" teeth. Hence their diet is nearly 100% other animals. Horses and cows have all molars except for their very front teeth which are used to cut the plant from it's stem and bring it in the back of their mouth to be chewed by their molars. That's how our teeth would be modeled if we were meant to eat only plants.

Back to topic....

Your body needs an insulin spike to help shuttle nutrients into the bodily systems like the muscular system. So post workout, whey protein is perfect for you. Spikes insulin and helps get the protein itself digested and brought into the muscles.
    "Science" may say one thing, but science is theories, it doesn't apply these theories in a real life scenario. It's the practical application of science that matters.

ahhh, the teeth argument. No we don't look like horses. We also don't look like wolves.

Ever try to take a bite out of a cow's bum with your bare teeth? you won't get far.

Try again.

Haha you're right, we don't look like wolves... we are a cross between wolves and horses... hence why we eat both MEAT and PLANTS. Omnivore? Bueller?

Ever try to take a bite out of a raw potato? It'd be pretty hard to do so as well.
    And I didn't say we were supposed to run down and lock our jaws onto a cow's bum... it's too big to get our mouths on it. Even wolves have trouble doing that!!! haha I could take a chunk out of a smaller animal though like a rabbit or a salmon. So uh nice try yourself. Next...

Frugivore.
    And I don't eat potatoes raw. I eat jicamas. Just because you can eat it cooked doesn't mean it's a proper part of a raw diet.

Just because it's raw doesn't mean it's part of a proper diet. (See what I did there)
  • Rayman79
    Rayman79 Posts: 2,009 Member
    Options

I dont' think moderation in all things is good. A little LSD in moderation isn't good. And you may have stabilized your insulin from other things not related to the whey... even if it was, there are many other things that are healthier that will do it for you just as well or better.

I get the feeling we're going to be best of friends and you will be regarded as a king on this site!

/sarcasm
  • kimberliiw
    kimberliiw Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    Do baby soy beans only drink soy milk?
  • KBSwinger
    KBSwinger Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    Someone should beat those two guys with some sense!!! After your done drink some whey! Geeze!
  • KBSwinger
    KBSwinger Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    Wait... So insulin spikes is what causes obesity??? ;)
  • rm7161
    rm7161 Posts: 505
    Options
    oh, another paleodrone.

Ya know that galactose is different from fructose and metabolised differently in the liver, no?

This article can help.

http://ideas.time.com/2012/12/27/what-you-need-to-know-about-sugar/

I'll keep consuming milk products, thus feeding the yogurt cultures I also consume daily. Lost 45 lbs so far eating yogurt as a regular part of my diet, seems to be doing something right. Whey protein I consume a little of but its always in tandem with nonfat yogurt.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    In.

Out