Need to Lose 100 LBS -Robins Thread !

Options

Replies

• linder4866
    linder4866 Posts: 11,182 Member
    Options
    Helen- i may have to ask you to share some of your drambuie....oh wait....it is only 10 in the morning and i should not start drinking yet.......just found out that after being off work on medical disability and getting set to return to work feb 25, they have filled my position so i no longer have a job to return to.......they will put my name forward it anyone is hiring at the time i am available for work tho..........fan-friggin-tastic......now what do i do??? who else is going to hire me after being off work for 3 years???? damn federal government

Karen - I was drummed out of the work force earlier than expected too. Its quite a shock to get used to! Biggest changes are 1. Money, money, money - the reduced income is not nice to you, but living with gratitude really helps, and its amazing what selling all the extra miscellaneous items in your household nets you, by using EBAY, Craig's list and resources locally. The second change is subtle 2. Your Identity. I thought of myself as a medical professional for so long, and now I think of myself at various times as a) retired, and b) a slug :laugh: Pass the drambuie!

Me too. Job evaporated in 2008 when we thought the financial world was melting down. Just great timing. It is just a total shock........I hope you can find a different job. I still miss working. :sad: :brokenheart: :sad:

Lin in Balmy Central Iowa -15 F wind chill

1482351y1dphi597b.gif
  • RobinsEgg
    RobinsEgg Posts: 3,702 Member
    Options
    I am on permanent disability now with all my ailments I can't even hold down a part-time job. I was so financially strapped that I sold my plasma and that was a good income until I was taking so many drugs they rejected me too. Now I am running a net 0 income-outgo per month with no savings for the future. I swapped the rest of my 401K for the down payment for my condo to avoid rent increases. But, as I mentioned earlier, living with gratitude is the best attitude ever. Found money does happen, couponing and rebates help, and the BF pays for vacations. I can't help but feel content with my life when I count my blessings! :flowerforyou:
  • MyM0wM0w
    MyM0wM0w Posts: 2,008 Member
    Options
    But, as I mentioned earlier, living with gratitude is the best attitude ever.

I agree with this 200%. I got laid off from my Federal job after 11 years. I make about 1/3 less now and ran through my entire savings during a year and a half stint of unemployment. I live on a very tight budget and from pay check to paycheck, but I've never been happier and more grateful for the things I own.
  • klezmergal
    Options
    I have been sick with the flu/cold that has been going around, and I find that I stray off of my caloric intake goals when this happens. I get into the peanut butter, sugary drinks, etc. I need to lose 100+ pounds. I find the water counter the best friend a girl has!
  • jtconst
    jtconst Posts: 641 Member
    Options
    Hey Friends:

Anyone on here from Seattle WA? If so, feel free to contact me personally have some questions about your area.
    I am from the olympic penninsula across the water from Seattle and know the area pretty well so feel free to message me any questions.
  • tootsanderson
    tootsanderson Posts: 1,636 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Helenatrandom
    Helenatrandom Posts: 1,166 Member
    Options
    Helen- i may have to ask you to share some of your drambuie....oh wait....it is only 10 in the morning and i should not start drinking yet.......just found out that after being off work on medical disability and getting set to return to work feb 25, they have filled my position so i no longer have a job to return to.......they will put my name forward it anyone is hiring at the time i am available for work tho..........fan-friggin-tastic......now what do i do??? who else is going to hire me after being off work for 3 years???? damn federal government

I'm so sorry you are going through this! I've been out of work for longer. I took time off to take care of my mom when she was sick, and after she passed (three years ago), I haven't found a permanent position. I do substitute teach, though, so that helps. I hope a position opens up for you were you used to work soon.
  • jtconst
    jtconst Posts: 641 Member
    Options
    Hi guys and ty for the great rollover ladies. I am doing prety good today. I am cheating though and refuse to weigh in until tomorrow. I gave into the potato chips and dips last night and know that all the sodium will have temporarily killed any loss I might have had so I am giving it an extra day of really good water consumption :smile: Other then that I did really well last week on the food front but with not feeling good I feel like I am starting over yet again on the exercise as I got nothing last week. Oh well as long as I keep starting over eventually it is bound to stick right? Right? Please say I am right :laugh: I hope everyone is off to a great start to the week and you know one thing you can always do right now. Thats right have a drink. Water tag your it :drinker: :drinker:
  • rachael726
    rachael726 Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    Monday check in-- I'm exhausted from.. Well.. Life lol I ate better today than yesterday. Yesterday I didn't eat a lot bc I wasn't feeling good. Today is my off day for working, haven't had one since 1/12 and my body is telling me it's time to rest, so I'm listening. Work is crazy and my kids are driving me crazy, but that's about it. As of this morning I'm down a total of 10.6 lbs, but that's just my midweek check in. Thursdays are my "official" weigh in day. I'll record all weekly progress and update my ticker every thursday. I had a bad day for dinner on Friday but bounced back full force this weekend. I also have my entire food intake planned for tomorrow already logged in lol. I seriously need a life!!!

That's about it MFP friends. Personals tomorrow, too tired to function tonight.

I am from southern NJ! Water tag!!!:drinker: :drinker:
  • CherryMonRose520
    CherryMonRose520 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Ugh sometimes I just feel like quitting and I always think to myself "I can never lose weight, i'm not that lucky". Sticking to this diet is very hard not because I can't stay away from the food but because I don't believe in myself at all.
  • karenleona
    karenleona Posts: 3,959 Member
    Options
    Ugh sometimes I just feel like quitting and I always think to myself "I can never lose weight, i'm not that lucky". Sticking to this diet is very hard not because I can't stay away from the food but because I don't believe in myself at all.

you don't have to stick to a diet. This is a healthy lifestyle change that will be with you forever. If you try and 'forbid' certain foods cause you are on a 'diet' it will not work. If you truly must eat something less than healthy just take a taste and savour it. I think we have all been where you are in terms of not beleiving in ourselves cause we have failed so many times. Start small. Make one healthy choice for the next week. How about having a healthy breakfast? or increasing your water intake to 8-10 glasses per day? or...anything you want....just make it one thing. When this becomes habit move on to adding something else. That is how we gradually build success....one slow step at a time
  • susan2396
    susan2396 Posts: 794 Member
    Options
    Just to let everyone know...I logged onto my Verizon Wireless account today and saw that they had awesome prices on the FITbit and the Fitbit/sleep. The Fitbit was 44.99 and the fitbit w/ sleep monitor was 74.99

Thanks for the info. I've been thinking about getting one and any discount is good. Too bad they can't lower they're regular plans. I'm paying way too much and need to start downsizing my phone charges. It's way too much (in my opinion).
  • susan2396
    susan2396 Posts: 794 Member
    Options
    Monday Check-In: Weekend was OK. Bunco with the girls on Friday Night (tons of laughs). Chef for Kids 5K on Saturday morning and the rest of the weekend was total relaxation (few loads of laundry and some cleaning), but nothing too major. Eating was OK for the most part EXCEPT late nights. I'm a total late night binge eater that's for sure. I did go back the next day and tracked it. Today was pretty uneventful since the office was closed for MLK. I did do some work though, but made good food choices all day. I have my fitness assessment with the trainer tomorrow at 6:15 a.m. I need to pack my meals for tomorrow and get the gym bag ready. I have to get to bed at a decent time. I'm definitely not getting enough sleep that's for sure. No complaints. Life is good.
  • KATRENAJ
    KATRENAJ Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    Well, I am back and trying to get back on track. Believe it or not, I have been sick since 12/15/12 and just turned the corner this week. It is so good not to be coughing my head off.

My L5 disc slipped (I saw on the xray where it had slipped forward) but I found these wonderful physical therapists and they have gotten me back on my feet. I am going twice a week and working out with exercises daily. They asked me not to go to water aerobics because my core is so out of balance, but they said I could go back this week if I monitor and modify if I start to feel pain. It has been cold (I know a lot of your Northerners are going to consider this sacrileges when I tell you that the temperatures have been in the 30's and 40's. Tonight will be 28) and my body does not respond well at all to cold. I plan to go to water aerobics Wednesday and weigh in then. I know I have gained.

We had planned to go to Key West, but can find accommodations. We've gone two years in a row and didnt have a problem. Instead we are going for 4 days to St Augustine Fla. I don't think that will be warm enough. My daughter offered us accommodations in Aruba but the airfare was going to be around $1000 for both of us and that will not work for us.

Bill is working in Arizona late Feb and I will fly out to spend the last week with him. We plan to finish driving the Apache Trail in the Superstition mountains. We did half of it about 5 years ago and promised we would go back. Then we are going to tour Tucson and Briscoe Az

tklynn74 -You're a survivor and you should be extremely proud of yourself. Not only that but you are cute as a bug in a rug. Bet that hubby regrets leaving now.
    kinnurse0754 - I am having similiar problem trying to get my groove back. I'm sure we can do it, we just need to get back on track. My plan for that is to log in daily and post daily. Hope to see you on line. Which Wii exercises do you do. I am going to try the Yoga and the Balance exercises
    Robin, I just love your comments about gratitude. Whenever I remember to actively practice gratitude, my life does a 360 degree turn. That is the single most important thing I can do for myself. The 2nd is to watch closely what goes into my mouth, which I do with limited effectiveness, but I am grateful that I have the ability to change that. Robin we have a lot in common. I emptied my 401k to buy a house and I really worry about not having anything to fall back on. Can't seem to save.

linder4866 - Stay warm
  • Lauriek70
    Lauriek70 Posts: 2,087 Member
    Options
    I can't believe that I missed Sunday and checking in. Yesterday, I was busy but I did make it to the gym and I am glad I did. I did devote some time to cardio work plus a little weight training. Then it was off to a birthday party but I managed to control what I ate without overdoing it. I did realize yesterday that I eat when I am bored or have nothing to do. This hit home early Sunday morning and once I realized what I was starting to do- Graze and nibble- I headed to the store then the gym for a workout. It felt great to workout and try new things.

Today, I had a great workout with cardio and weight training. I love doing the new form of lat pull downs and back extensions plus lunges. I actually added all of them to my trainer designed workout today. I hope to keep incorporating them every time I workout just to build up my abilities.

Karen- I have a pair of barefoot shoes and I like them but not for running. I prefer to wear them while doing weight training or spin bike. When I run in them, it puts more pressure on my knees and I can't go as long. The sales person at the running store said you need to build into them for running but they are really good for strengthening ankles. My pair is New Balance. Good job on getting the grading done.

Karisma- Welcome. There are times we all feel like giving up especially in the beginning but the bottom line is YOU CAN DO THIS!!! I use to think that I would never lose weight but then it did happen. It was not over night but over a year so I am living proof that it can be done. Have FAITH IN YOURSELF AND TELL YOURSELF THAT YOU CAN DO THIS, YOU ARE MAKING A CHANGE IN YOUR LIFE FOR THE BETTER. Are you exercising? If not, just find something you like to do and start with that.

I am watching the Biggest Loser, this year I am realizing how far I have come during the past 2 years. It is amazing how many of their exercises I can do. Granted, I know that working out multiple hours a day is not realistic but that I can do those same exercises are within my ability and I can push myself to always work hard in the gym.

Update- the friend's brother did not show up for lunch today. Which is okay with me. My friend insists that he will want to meet me once he sees my picture but I have no faith in that. Besides, I am not sure if I want to go out with someone who is concerned about looks instead of what is on the inside. I will keep you posted if I hear from him but I will not be holding my breathe.
  • henkemonica
    henkemonica Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Isn't it a great feeling to be able to say "yes, I am going to do it". So happy for you.
  • skinnyjeanzbound
    skinnyjeanzbound Posts: 3,932 Member
    Options
    @karisma--I agree with karenleona! We've all doubted our ability to do this, but you just have to wake up everyday and try. Also, losing weight and getting healthy has nothing to do with luck. It's all about working hard and making the best choices you can. It takes planning, dedication, and most of all forgiveness when you temporarily flounder. And you WILL mess up and eat that brownie/ice cream/burger/pizza/fill in your temptation food here. Just log it and move on. If we all quit trying to be healthy every time we had a bad day, no one on the planet would be healthy. :flowerforyou:

@rachael--When I joined MFP, I used to log my entire day the night before or 1st thing in the morning--that way I knew I would be under goal. Now I still do it occasionally; especially if I have a "special" meal planned and want to see how to make it fit. Hope you enjoyed your day off today!

@tammy--you are right!! :laugh: Seriously, I've had to re-start my exercise plan so many times, but I feel like it gets easier each time. Now I can't even remember the last time I went more than a few days without a workout.

@klezmergal--I've read that when we are sick, our bodies burn more calories fighting off the infection/virus. Give yourself a break and just try to make health-ish choices like peanut butter over peanut butter cookies, or fruit juice over the sugary drinks.

@kris--we'd better make sure we don't open our shelters next to one another, or we might end up fighting like cats and dogs! :laugh: I also love horses, but if I touch them and then touch any of my exposed skin, I have an allergic response. I can ride them and pet them, I just have to wash my hands right away.

@drojen--another very high potassium food is sweet potatoes. I eat them several times a week--one of my favorite staples. Good think too, b/c I'm not a big fan of bananas.

My heart goes out to all of you struggling to find employment.

Had a nice day off today. Did some weights and rode 10 miles on the stationary bike at the gym. Also, went to starbucks and did a bit of prep for my classes this week. Now I'm home for the evening. Need to cook up some boneless skinless chicken breasts to go with my lunch for the week. I already sauteed some onions, mushrooms, and peppers; will add the chicken and some thai peanut sauce, then mix with shirataki noodles. Yum!

Exercise Goals:
    Mon--gym (weights + bike) DONE
    Tues--walk gunner + core
    Wed--walk gunner + gym
    Thurs--walk gunner
    Fri--rest day
    Sat--walk gunner + gym (long run)
    Sun--walk gunner + core
  • Morgori
    Morgori Posts: 954 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone.

Saturday night we went to the hockey game after eating at the Pub. Everything was going great until the Wranglers lost and while driving home a lady smashed into the back of my car. We were not hurt and either was she. Her small car was in bad shape and not drivable. My big car has some holes in the bumper and scrapped paint but I won’t know how bad it really is until after I get estimates. At least it is still drivable.

I ‘m having a problem getting past 270 lbs. Once I hit 270 I gain a few back. I have done this many times. I may need to lower my calories again. I have been trying some light strength training but still need more exercise. I’m going to go try some treadmill walking and see how that goes. I’ll be back with the results …

I’m back and I did 1.01 miles in 20 minutes and 15 seconds according to the treadmill. I should have wrote down what the Fitbit said when I started. Next time I will and compare them. That seemed faster than I usually walk. That is 2.992592 miles per hour. I’m going to go do some strength training.

Hope you are all having a healthy day!

Tom
  • grandmakaye44
    grandmakaye44 Posts: 1,205 Member
    Options
    Monday check-in: We just got home this evening from UT. It was a wonderful trip. It is good to be with family. I thought that I would be able to at least log my food intake, but that didn't happen. I tried to be very careful about my food, but I had forgotten how much junk food people can keep sitting on the counters to tempt me and others into mindless eating. I had a few handfuls of junk, but I felt pretty good about the way controlled myself overall. I will get on the scales in the morning and see how much damage has been done.
    I sure feel behind here! There are a number of new names and there has even been a rollover. I will probably not get to go back and catch up. I'll just have to figure out what's going on from here.
    Kaye
  • jumpy983
    Options
    Just to let everyone know...I logged onto my Verizon Wireless account today and saw that they had awesome prices on the FITbit and the Fitbit/sleep. The Fitbit was 44.99 and the fitbit w/ sleep monitor was 74.99

Thanks for the info. I've been thinking about getting one and any discount is good. Too bad they can't lower they're regular plans. I'm paying way too much and need to start downsizing my phone charges. It's way too much (in my opinion).

Susan, I was just thinking that same thing. Hubby and I have been "grandfathered" into the unlimited plan with the 1400 minutes and *truly* unlimited data/texting. We use that A LOT but as far as our minutes, we only use about 400. I was wanting to switch to something cheaper but can't find anything.