WHY HIDE YOUR FOOD DIARY ??

Options

Replies

• DorkothyParker
    DorkothyParker Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    Basically what others have said, I'm tracking my food for my own knowledge. I really don't need people to judge my grande soy latte and raw almonds lunch because I hate feeding myself on the weekends. (Thank god my husband cooks!)
  • AmberB519
    AmberB519 Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    Why not? If you are not on my friends list, there is no reason for you to be looking at my food log.
  • runningwiththepups
    Options
    Mine is set so that only my friends can see it. With some of the arguements on here about nutrition what to eat, what not to eat, I don't need to invite that into my daily food journal. I have the support of my friends and I am not looking for it from strangers.

Exact same reason that I have!
  • JudyAngelman
    JudyAngelman Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Our diaries.

Our food.

Our choice.

That's all.
  • donyellemoniquex3
    donyellemoniquex3 Posts: 2,384 Member
    Options
    This might be just me, but I prefer to have friends with public / friends only diaries. It shows that they're not ashamed of themselves.
  • elsinora
    elsinora Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    This might be just me, but I prefer to have friends with public / friends only diaries. It shows that they're not ashamed of themselves.

Oh dear.
  • brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    Options

I think this is what is referred to as projection. Maybe potential shame helps motivate you to lose weight. Do not assume that how you feel about your food and diet is how everyone feels about their food and diet. The only example I can give is me. I have never felt shame over my food choices (bad days included).

Regardless, what a blatantly sad perspective.
  • elsinora
    elsinora Posts: 398 Member
    Options

I think this is what is referred to as projection. Maybe potential shame helps motivate you to lose weight. Do not assume that how you feel about your food and diet is how everyone feels about their food and diet. The only example I can give is me. I have never felt shame over my food choices (bad days included).

Regardless, what a blatantly sad perspective.

<3
  • JossFit
    JossFit Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    I could echo a lot of the reasons others have listed, but additionally I work with a trainer/coach and part of our contract is that I keep my workouts and diet program private.

I use MPF to make sure I hit the numbers I am supposed to be hitting, but don't want anyone else to see my program.
  • bookworm_847
    bookworm_847 Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    I have mine set so only my friends can see it. I'm still trying to figure out what I'm doing, and don't want unsolicited advice from everyone. I have a very small group of friends who have thus far proved to be supportive, kind, and motivational. If I'm doing something wrong or if I could be doing something better, someone will say, "You might want to look into _____ because_____" or something along those lines. I don't need criticism; that's part of how I got here in the first place. I want help, but I don't need a supervisor.
  • chelseabuns88
    chelseabuns88 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    If someone asked me what I had to eat on any given day at any given time, I'd tell them, I have no problem sharing what I eat.. however, I feel context is important.

Also, I don't find it necessary to share with the people of MFP because I don't need or want diet advice at this stage, if I ever do I would consider making it public, but at the moment I am more than happy working towards my goal unaided, I know which foods are healthy and which aren't..

I think some people have seriously problematic relationships with food, judging from a lot of comments on this forum, and perhaps for a lot of people having their diary public so they are accountable could be beneficial, for me, I have a very healthy relationship with food but succumb to emotional eating, and I'm working on that. I can say in my experience that if I was down enough to have an emotional binge, if other people could see my diary, I'd still binge, I just wouldn't log it. However, I have no problem being honest with myself and remaining accountable to me is more important, IMO.
  • FitFabFlirty92
    FitFabFlirty92 Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    1. Not everyone here started out "fat." I'm 160 pounds and just looking to lose some weight to get closer to a healthier BMI.

2. Not everyone wants advice on their food. You can count calories and figure out basic nutrition without having other users comment on every little thing you put in your mouth.

3. New question: Why do you CARE if people keep their diaries private? It's really none of your business.
  • ChasingHaven
    ChasingHaven Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    I am keeping a food diary as a way to be accountable and honest with myself. If that wasn't my goal I wouldn't be keeping my food diary at all. Just because I do not make it public does not take anything away from that.

Besides, if I opened it you'd be pretty disappointed. It's empty. I keep my food diary elsewhere.
  • Chadomaniac
    Chadomaniac Posts: 1,785 Member
    Options
    ya guys WHY HIDE YOUR FOOD DIARY ??
  • Lisa2bHappy
    Options
    I think the original poster is bored.. Enough said!
  • hughtwalker
    hughtwalker Posts: 2,213 Member
    Options
    ya guys WHY HIDE YOUR FOOD DIARY ??
    1. because they can
    2. because they want to
    3. because it is the default setting
    4. because it is nobody's business but theirs if they so choose
    5. because they have something to hide
    6. whatever

next please?
  • JoanneLkinn
    JoanneLkinn Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I show my food diary I don't mind people seeing how much of what I eat.... I was very surprised how few calories some people eat in a day.
  • janicegandon
    Options
    I hav'nt hidden my food diary deliberately , just not worked out how to use everything on this site yet. lol
  • chervil6
    chervil6 Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    I am not sure why people hide there food diary as advice can help and lets be honest if your fat and overweight like i was you need to be honest with yourself.

This might seem harsh but come on people I found being honest with myself one of the biggest steps. I use to lie how fat I was to people and myself.

i hide my diary , i dont need any body telling me what i should or not eat .... with my weight loss , its my way or no way !!

i learned this by wasting money going to various weight loss clubs over the years :)