Things you never knew that when found out made you feel dumb

Options

Replies

• taternuggets
    Options
    Until my daughter was born, I thought newborns couldn't open their eyes much like puppies and kittens after birth.
  • lovelyMYlovely
    lovelyMYlovely Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    i didnt know that when cats have babies they move their litter to a different basket after about a week,
    so when i came home and saw 1 kitty missing i freaked out and thought my cat ate a kitty!!!!!
    it went into this long story of my friend and i having a panic attack and throwing holy water on the kitties and the cat..
    and trying to make it come out from under the bed by feeding it a piece of lunch meat so it stops eating my kitty.....
    we got soo scarred and the mommy cat even pulled ANOTHER cat under the bed!!
    OH WE WERE IN A HUGE PANIC!! we were screaming and yelling thinking that my cat ATE ANOTHER BABY!!
    at this point we moved all the cats still "alive" to another room, locked the door, and said a prayer...
    my friend and i were so scared that we didnt want to come by the mommy kitty because we were scarred she would scratch our faces or eat us or attack us (we thought my cat had rabies) why else would the mommy cat bring 2 babies under the dark bed!!!!
    at this point we were crying and walking in circles we made ourselves sooo scarred that we left the house and luckily we saw
    two maintence men!!! :)
    so we told them our story and they came in our house to move our bed!!! OMG WE WERE SOOO SCARRED OF SEEING 2 BLOODY KITTENS!!
    they moved the bed and saw 2 healthy kittens with the mom breast feeding them... all the kitties looked up at us and my friend and i looked at the maintence men...
    the maintence men looked at us and asked " what are u guys on?"
    LOL!!!! haha!!!! omg we were soo scarred though!!! we were just soooo hung over and with that lack of sleep i guess it made us paranoid... ahh the good ole days...... after they left we were still a lil shaken up so we slept on the living room floor... (away from the healthy kitties)

thats what drinking to much liquor the night before and having only 3 hours of sleep will do to you.... lol... that was probably my dumbest moment ever... especially that we sprinkled holy water on the kitties because we thought they were possessed.. lol....

Question - Where did the holy water come from? Do you just keep it around for emergency kitten/demon possession?
    lol ya i had a holy water in a virgin mary holder so i used it for this situation haha....
  • Bucky83
    Bucky83 Posts: 1,194 Member
    Options
    Blue from "Blue's Clues" is a girl. Always thought a blue dog would be a boy.

I am totally with you on this one. I think they did it just to mess with people's heads :noway:

Wait....what? Blue isn't a boy? How is it I'm only just learning this now???
  • PetulantOne
    PetulantOne Posts: 2,131 Member
    Options
    That it's impossible to kiss your elbow...

I just tried :laugh:
  • kb_CG_wife
    kb_CG_wife Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    I feel dumb when anyone quotes a movie. Period. True story: I never once watched A Christmas Story until last year when my friend bought the movie for me. The first thing that's sad about this... I grew up just outside of Cleveland where it was filmed. Second... I'm 24 years old!!!
  • TheBeerRunner
    TheBeerRunner Posts: 2,777 Member
    Options
    I didn't know that sucking on about six sugar free cough drops in a 3 hour period would give you massive diarrhea. Ugh. I felt pretty dumb for not knowing that...
  • suzzann666
    suzzann666 Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    Slugs (the bullets that been fired) are called slugs because they shell is gone

I just learned this.... just now. And I feel dumb for not having known that.
    that makes two of us!
  • suzzann666
    suzzann666 Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    Learning that the lyrics to Notorious B.I.G.'s "Hypnotize" were really "Biggie Biggie Biggie can't you see, sometimes your words just hypnotize me.." and not "Piggie Piggie Piggie..."
    i love that you admitted this!!
  • Izzerial
    Options
    When I realized that the same melody was used for Twinkle Twinkle, ABCs, and Baa Baa Black Sheep.

I'm still upset about this.
    THIS. SO MUCH.
  • PetulantOne
    PetulantOne Posts: 2,131 Member
    Options
    I mentioned this in another topic but here it is again.

Until my early 20's i thought the term "making ends meet" was "making ends meat" as in making some kind of poor peoples food. Like all you could afford was the end of the meat.

Just as embarrassing as that, as a kid i was told that the reason we say bless you when people sneeze is because of an old indian belief that your spirit will try to escape when you sneeze so until my early 20's I thought every one was saying "blushew", what i assumed was an old indian word. It wasn't until some one sneeze and another person very clearly said "god bless you" that i realized how stupid i was.

I have always thought (and could be wrong) that when you sneeze your body freezes up (heart stops) and it's a superstition so you don't die.

I think it just skips a beat.
  • halobender
    halobender Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    I just found out on Tuesday that Washington, D.C. is in "the District of Columbia" which is NOT a state it's a district why am I explaining this you probably all know it already.
    /CanadaEh
    Please note that this person does *not* speak for all Canadians...
    Anyone who's ever counted could be very clear that DC is not a state. Let alone just reading an acronym.

no, but she speaks for me, and I'm canadian. no need to be snarky and make people feel stupid.
    That user seems to be a bit of a misanthrope.
    No, just don't care for the first poster's implication that she's ignorant because she's Canadian. Plenty of Canadians know quite a bit more about the States, and her ignorance is hers alone.
    I've seen other misanthropic posts from you, as well, and I think you're allowing yourself to be a little too butt-hurt over a post that wasn't intended to be anything more than "funny" or "silly".
  • SmangeDiggs
    SmangeDiggs Posts: 238 Member
    Options

Until my early 20's i thought the term "making ends meet" was "making ends meat" as in making some kind of poor peoples food. Like all you could afford was the end of the meat.

Just as embarrassing as that, as a kid i was told that the reason we say bless you when people sneeze is because of an old indian belief that your spirit will try to escape when you sneeze so until my early 20's I thought every one was saying "blushew", what i assumed was an old indian word. It wasn't until some one sneeze and another person very clearly said "god bless you" that i realized how stupid i was.

I have always thought (and could be wrong) that when you sneeze your body freezes up (heart stops) and it's a superstition so you don't die.

Another theory is based on the bubonic plague..sneezing was thought to be an early symptom so saying god bless you was thought to be asking the gods to spare you from death.
  • StampingJen
    StampingJen Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    When I realized that the same melody was used for Twinkle Twinkle, ABCs, and Baa Baa Black Sheep.

I knew Twinkle Twinkle and ABCs were the same, but didn't think about Baa Baa Black Sheep!

Here's another one... the theme song for "Barney" (the purple dinosaur) is the same melody as "This Old Man" (Nick nack paddy wack) . I think someone even tried suing poor Barney over it.
  • MyM0wM0w
    MyM0wM0w Posts: 2,008 Member
    Options

Another theory is based on the bubonic plague..sneezing was thought to be an early symptom so saying god bless you was thought to be asking the gods to spare you from death.

I had always believed this.
  • Izzerial
    Options

I knew Twinkle Twinkle and ABCs were the same, but didn't think about Baa Baa Black Sheep!

Here's another one... the theme song for "Barney" (the purple dinosaur) is the same melody as "This Old Man" (Nick nack paddy wack) . I think someone even tried suing poor Barney over it.
    Thanks for making my day.
  • StampingJen
    StampingJen Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Can't wait for the day when my young son realizes it's "Ride 'em cowboy!" not "Ride a cowboy!"
  • smantha32
    smantha32 Posts: 6,990 Member
    Options
    I just found out on Tuesday that Washington, D.C. is in "the District of Columbia" which is NOT a state it's a district why am I explaining this you probably all know it already.
    /CanadaEh
    Please note that this person does *not* speak for all Canadians...
    Anyone who's ever counted could be very clear that DC is not a state. Let alone just reading an acronym.

no, but she speaks for me, and I'm canadian. no need to be snarky and make people feel stupid.

Funny response considering the title of this thread is "Things you never knew that when found out made you feel dumb"
  • onepillarofsalt
    onepillarofsalt Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    That "zest of lemon" is not a prebottled spice like garlic or pepper.

That the Oscars and the Academy Awards are the same thing (I think) but the Emmys are different.
  • kairisika
    kairisika Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    I had always believed this.
    I'd never had a specific reasoning - i grew up in a family where we inherited 'gesundheit' from my German grandparents, and I didn't realise other people said 'bless you' (or that the intent was the same) until I was much older.
    What I don't understand is why, in this day and age, so many people *still* invoke a blessing most don't believe in when someone sneezes. That seems like a custom we could safely let die..
  • kairisika
    kairisika Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    That "zest of lemon" is not a prebottled spice like garlic or pepper.
    Man, so many cooking things are like that. When I was starting, I remember having to look up a lot of things that recipes seemed to assume I was born knowing. I loved finding recipes that were written to new cooks that were clear about all those sorts of things.