Why should I go VEGAN??

Options

Replies

• Lecterman
    Lecterman Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I'm a vegan (12 years) and do not take supplements, vitamins, etc. I'm not sure what your definition of "frankenfoods" is but I am quite certain my intake of processed foods is much lower than most omnivores I know.

I've never had any issues related to a lack of any of the nutrients you mention below.

My blood tests at physicals and check ups is always perfect. My last total cholesterol count was 96. Even when I was competing in cycling on a regular basis and riding significant miles, I had no problems with energy during rides or recovery.

Just because you have been taught that vegan diets lack necessary nutrients to provide complete nutrition to the body doesn't mean it's true.

Selective editing has changed the sense of my post somewhat but IMO (from my POV working in lifestyle healthcare) any diet that needs to be fortified or supplemented to be healthy and balanced is overly restrictive and completely unnatural. Obviously sometimes that is impossible to avoid, for example in multiple allergies, but I would never actively choose nor actively recommend a diet that relies on pills or frankenfoods.

Humans evolved to need nutrients that are only found or best absorbed or easiest sourced from animal products - vitamin B12, haem iron, vitamin D, calcium, long chain omega-3s. Trying to create an optimally nutritious diet that includes plenty of all the plant forms of these can tie you in knots, the most realistic option is to add in pills or frankenfoods.

That is purely from a health and dietetics perspective, clearly people have ethical reasons for going vegetarian or vegan and I don't advise nutrition clients to eat meat!
  • olDave
    olDave Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    It looks like some people feel we can make up things like "animal rights" to help sooth our conscience. Well....how about we create "plant rights"? They are living things too.
  • Lecterman
    Options
    It looks like some people feel we can make up things like "animal rights" to help sooth our conscience. Well....how about we create "plant rights"? They are living things too.

A. Plants are not sentient beings
    B. We made up religion...so why not animal rights?
  • olDave
    olDave Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    Lecterman stated.....

"A. Plants are not sentient beings
    B. We made up religion...so why not animal rights?"

Thanks for making my point for me. People "made up" animal rights.
  • Lecterman
    Options
    Lecterman stated.....

"A. Plants are not sentient beings
    B. We made up religion...so why not animal rights?"

Thanks for making my point for me. People "made up" animal rights.

Whatever makes your day Dave.
  • walklikeaduck
    Options
    I tried going vegan in grad school, but I was a "situational" vegan, meaning I wouldn't buy any animal products myself, but if I was over at someone's house for dinner or something like that, I wouldn't say no to any foods containing meat. It worked for me since I just wanted to test it out...
  • RachyLovesRattys
    RachyLovesRattys Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    I was vegetarian for a time, then went completely vegan for a time, then gave up on all of it completely and ate crap.

Now i've finally found a balance- I substitute what I can, and have meat when I feel like it.

I have a turkey sandwich just about every day. Those are my staple protein really and it really satisfies any cravings I have. Then for dinner, I'll have some of those bangin' Italian Style SmartSausages made of tofu and all that and I mean really, I can't tell the difference.

I use all non-dairy milks (hemp, almond, soy, etc) for my cereal but the BIGGEST reason I see vegan diets fail is CHEESE!

I've even spoken to hardcore life-long vegans and they've just told me that they cut out cheese completely because the substitutes don't cut it (Daiya, soy-cheese slices). I've purchased a bag of Daiya to see for myself after having an awesome Tofurky "Meat lovers" Pizza that supposedly was covered in it. I don't know what they did differently, but my bag of Daiya SMELLED and did not make nachos like they claimed (it smelled like hot vomit on chips...grossest thing ever)

So I will never cut out cheese or a nice turkey sandwich...but as far as red meat goes, I can find some great substitutes. And if all else fails- there is the BEST vegetarian restaurant by me called "Veggie Heaven" and they make all their meat out of nuts, seeds, soy, and yams. I always sneak people there when we're craving chinese food because you wouldn't know the difference at all- except you don't have violent heartburn after eating it :laugh:
  • quirkytizzy
    quirkytizzy Posts: 4,052 Member
    Options

Ya kind of a *kitten*, ain'tchya?
  • BurtHuttz
    BurtHuttz Posts: 3,653 Member
    Options

IT'S A TRAP.
  • quirkytizzy
    quirkytizzy Posts: 4,052 Member
    Options

IT'S A TRAP.

It is. *sadface*
  • MileHighScott
    MileHighScott Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    In fact, most people who go vegan see a significant lowering of their blood pressure, cholesterol and weight without exercise.

So if this "fact," where is your documentation of this? I would love to see it. There are many people that become vegan/vegetarian that see increases in blood pressure, cholesterol and weight because while they stay away from meat, they don't stay away from unhealthy processed foods.

I would love to hear your opinion after doing it for a year. I did, for two actually, and felt worse than I ever had in my life.
  • Janey142
    Janey142 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    each to their own and well done on deicding whats right for you. I however could never be vegan. I love meat, its natural and as long as I am happy with the source of my meat, i don't support cruel practices. organic and free range, but definatley a carnivore all the way :)
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    I eat an all vegan diet, plus the occasional meat and diary product (every few hours or so). We all have an inner vegan.
  • cheshirequeen
    cheshirequeen Posts: 1,324 Member
    Options
    rachy-i dont care what people say, i cant stand daiya cheese either. i tried each flavor just in case it was a certain flavor, but i agree about the nacho. the mozzarella is ok. hubby got that for me on accident and its expensive so i used it until it was finished. i do agree though.
  • Lalouse
    Lalouse Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    I'm not a vegan, but have a few friends who are, and when I'm with them, I'm eating vegan. I completely agree with your argument that it is for the health of the world and the animals that live in it.. but I don't think that it is necessarily for your health. Many of my vegan friends eat very unhealthy food, and one of them actually dislikes the "healthy vegans", :) .. they eat deep fried any vegetable, including fried pickles and mushrooms which I had with them last week. They eat vegan bacon and other fake vegan meats that can be high in calorie.

So yes, if you want to be vegan because of animal rights, the environment and so on.. I think that is an essential part of being vegan. If you want to be vegan to be healthy, there are plenty of healthy people who are not vegan, and plenty of vegans who are not healthy :)
  • tabinmaine
    tabinmaine Posts: 965 Member
    Options
    In fact, most people who go vegan see a significant lowering of their blood pressure, cholesterol and weight without exercise.

So if this "fact," where is your documentation of this? I would love to see it. There are many people that become vegan/vegetarian that see increases in blood pressure, cholesterol and weight because while they stay away from meat, they don't stay away from unhealthy processed foods.

I would love to hear your opinion after doing it for a year. I did, for two actually, and felt worse than I ever had in my life.

Great answer !
  • Lecterman
    Options
    If you want to be vegan to be healthy, there are plenty of healthy people who are not vegan, and plenty of vegans who are not healthy :)

Very true :)
  • Chief_Rocka
    Chief_Rocka Posts: 4,710 Member
    Options
    I just want people to THINK before they eat,

I think about meat all day, particularly in it's pizza-topping manifestation.
  • Lecterman
    Options
    There are many people that become vegan/vegetarian that see increases in blood pressure, cholesterol and weight because while they stay away from meat, they don't stay away from unhealthy processed foods.

So if this "fact," where is your documentation of this? :)
  • cheshirequeen
    cheshirequeen Posts: 1,324 Member
    Options
    I'm not a vegan, but have a few friends who are, and when I'm with them, I'm eating vegan. I completely agree with your argument that it is for the health of the world and the animals that live in it.. but I don't think that it is necessarily for your health. Many of my vegan friends eat very unhealthy food, and one of them actually dislikes the "healthy vegans", :) .. they eat deep fried any vegetable, including fried pickles and mushrooms which I had with them last week. They eat vegan bacon and other fake vegan meats that can be high in calorie.

So yes, if you want to be vegan because of animal rights, the environment and so on.. I think that is an essential part of being vegan. If you want to be vegan to be healthy, there are plenty of healthy people who are not vegan, and plenty of vegans who are not healthy :)

eww, that sounds gross. fried everything. i totally agree, i know really unhealthy vegans. ive on the other hand, never met a vegan who didnt like eating fruits or vegetables. i do have a few friends that are vegan and wont sit with our non vegan friends because they wont eat vegan. i have stopped eating with them. they eat with us knowing we are vegan, why cant we eat with them knowing they are not. those are the kind of vegans that give other vegans a bad name. i would never dictate what others put into their bodies since my true friends would never do that to me.