Strange weight loss comments...

Options

Replies

• avababy05
    avababy05 Posts: 930 Member
    Options
    almost wasn't allowed into another country, lost 35lbs from my passport pic
    I had this happen trying to cash a check.I was 45 pounds heavier and had a different hair color from on my i.d but I had been banking at the same place for 15 years!
  • heatherloveslifting
    heatherloveslifting Posts: 1,428 Member
    Options
    From a trainer at my gym: "You were way hotter before you lost weight".

This. I find the "before" pictures more attractive in the majority of cases. I'm not a chubby chaser, I just think a female face with slightly softer lines is prettier.

Um...thanks for the insight.
    There's nothing wrong with that comment. People just have different tastes.

I don't think I said there was anything wrong with it. But thanks for your insight too!
  • sozisfitnow
    sozisfitnow Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    I was told by a friend that " I look like a real person now"

WTF did I look like an oompa loompa before?

Ive only lost 10lbs I wonder what he would of thought of me if I was heavier.

LMAO thats ridiculous!
  • Fit4Jesus84
    Options
    Old friends and old co-workers notice my weightloss, but my overweight mother hasn't commented on my 50 lb weight loss, she either doesn't notice, or it makes her feel like crap because she tries for a few days to lose weight and gives up. My family doesn't comment about my weight loss, well except for the family I never see very much.

I have a story, after having both my girls I was very overweight, I wanted to start losing weight so I went through all my old size zeros and size 2's I had from before, and thinking that I didn't want to be THAT small again I put them into a bag and brought them over to a family get-together to give to my sister (who is tiny), my grammy said "So, you are just going to give up and stay this way?" I politely told her that I am going to lose weight, but I don't want to be that small again.

My grammy says alot of off the wall comments about my weight and my mom's weight. She can be quite rude. She likes to go on tangents about how growing up she would get made fun of for being so thin...but then she says you can never be too thin.

I have had lots of off the wall comments, one person said I looked sick, like my eyes were hollow...this was several years ago when I got tiny before I became pregnant the first time.

I have also had the one "you weren't that big before" or "you look the same" I doubt I look the same after losing 50 lbs!!

But I am not doing it for anyone but God first, then me and my kids 2nd. I don't care if no one notices.
  • smantha32
    smantha32 Posts: 6,990 Member
    Options
    I don't really talk about my weight loss so I don't get comments, but the main reason I don't talk about it is people trying to derail me.
  • jgood21
    jgood21 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I was trying to convince some new friends to run with me and they said that I could not understand because they had like 50 lbs to lose and that you just can't run at that size. I said yes you can. They said no you can't. I said yes I did. I have lost 80 lbs. They said no way. I said yes and showed them the before pictures. To which they replied, that's not you. :huh: I guess some other person that resembles me only with 80 more lbs took a picture with my family. I said, oh that's definitely me and running will definitely not be easy for you but guess what, now you are going to do it anyway because you just implied that I'm a liar. Let's go. Score- new running buddies. :laugh:

^^This. When family looks at before and after they tell me that it isn't me..that the before girl is too fat....hmmm?!?
  • valeriewxy
    valeriewxy Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    But I also get people who know I've lost weight who will freak out if they see me eating a piece of cake or a grilled cheese sandwich and declare loudly that I'm going to get fat again as if all 80+ pounds are going to spontaneously appear overnight from one piece of cake. (And usually these are people who have no business judging MY food choices.)

THIS!! Especially from my mother >.< I've worked out in the day, I've eaten well, I have spare calories = I treat myself to some chocolate (2 squares = 110 cals). And then my mother goes "YOU'RE EATING CHOCOLATE??"

But then, my mother was also the person who did a double take when I told her I'd lost 8 kg, and then said "But are you losing dress sizes?" (Where did she think the 8 kg came from? o.o), and warned me to watch my diet on my 3 week holiday in case I put everything back ...

On the positive side, I've had a friend who knew I was working out squeal and run towards me while we on the train, hug me and proclaim loudly that OMG I am so much smaller now. Lol.
  • kcoftx
    kcoftx Posts: 765 Member
    Options
    Once I lost my phone. I had a picture of me with my boys. I had taken the picture while I worked there but over the year I had lost 50lbs. My phone started floating around campus. People were trying to identify it by the screen picture. Although it was portrait style, very clear and up close, the entire campus was focusing on the boys. They looked familiar. None of them recognized the woman who worked with them and saw them every single day. My boys have met my coworkers barely a hand full of times but they were the ones they were trying to place. They assumed the woman was someone else in the family or something. Eventually it got around to me and I was a bit credulous. I had worked there at least a year at that weight and had barely lost the weight but somehow they didn't recognize the old me.
  • dayquil
    Options
    My first thought to a lot of the before/after picture posts would probably be considered very rude to say :noway: . Don't mind us simple minded guys. :flowerforyou:
    The gym teacher had other teachers watch what I ate at lunch, while outside of school people would try to feed me french fries and stuff. It was insane.

My mom has done this to me in the past. "Oh my God. Let me get you something to eat!"

Normally, my awkward comments are about gaining muscle. I hate when my female co workers make a comment and start touching my arms. I don't know you like that. Go away.

...or when male coworkers decide we're in middle school again: "Let's arm wrestle!"

1. Seriously?
    2. No
    3. I would destroy you :tongue:

Its funny to see how this is different from a woman's POV
  • Janie_May
    Janie_May Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Felice03 (people asking if I am sick...I tell them yes...of being fat.)

The perfect response!
  • cindyjoesousa
    cindyjoesousa Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I used to weigh 284..Im down to 202..and people are calling me skinny..Im 5'6" 202 and people are calling me skinny!!!!
  • Pearliture
    Options
    " Girl, if you keep losing weight, pretty soon you're gonna be looking better than me, and we can't have that." This is what a coworker says to me at least once a week! It is very awkward.
  • skcardiog
    skcardiog Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    My favorite and latest are when they pull me aside to make sure I'm not terminally ill or very sick.

********************* THIS **************************
  • Pearliture
    Options
    Oh, and this one really isn't about weight loss. But at the time I had lost around 20 pounds. I walked into an older patients' room to do morning bloodwork and she said " you have such a beautiful face and smile. God had to at least give you that since he made you so fat." Silly me I just laughed and said thank you.
  • Mr_Bad_Example
    Mr_Bad_Example Posts: 2,403 Member
    Options
    I once made a joke (to my wife while at a family event) that I'd lost so much weight that I could take off my jeans without unbuttoning them. Apparently my Mother overheard this and said, "Nu-uh! I want to see you do that!"

Cue awkward silence.

At least it was your MOTHER and not your Mother-in-Law that said that.

You know, that reminds me of another comment... from my grandmother-in-law, no less.

My MIL was talking about me 'working my *kitten* off' at my job in a joking way (I work at home and many of my days consist of me in my pajamas doing research or writing trainings/guides), when Grandma-in-law chimed in with this: "He doesn't have an *kitten* to work off!"

Again - cue awkward silence.
  • Reese61477
    Reese61477 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Whenever I talk about my goals I hear people say things like "Why? You look great!" or "You're going to get too skinny". The first comment is intended to be nice but it kind of irritates me anyway. I'm still a sz 14 people, while I'm happy to be at this size and not a 20/22, it's not my goal size.
  • smantha32
    smantha32 Posts: 6,990 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Soosannah
    Soosannah Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    "You're wasting away!"

Um... seriously? I'm still carrying the equivalent of a medium sized child in surplus tonnage.

Ok I did laugh out loud on this one.
  • Shas2228
    Shas2228 Posts: 187
    Options
    The one that popped into my head.... My Phlebotomist hadn't seen me in about a year... at that point I had lost about 50 lbs. She called my name back and when I stood up, her eyes bulged and she said very loudly and awkwardly "Uh, your HAIR? It's different.. what did you do to it? Is it darker? I almost didn't recognize you."

Bless her sweet heart, LOL.
  • robindina
    robindina Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    My mom asked me if I had seen the doctor to make sure I wasn't sick.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!