Why should I go VEGAN??

Options

Replies

• RonnieLodge
    RonnieLodge Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    Thank you for the reply re: catering to non-vegans. :)
  • Bumbeen
    Bumbeen Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    We didn't evolve on a vegan diet and IMO it shows (not pushing primal nor paleo agendas, I am a lifestyle healthcare professional).

>_>
  • Wade406
    Wade406 Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    the majority of the responses on here are from misinformed a-hats. there's a herbivore group on here that you should join if you want more information or you can add some vegans to your friends list. the only thing you might need to supplement is b12, everything else is plentiful in a vegan diet.

DHA, EPA, calcium, bioavailable vitamin D, haem iron are not all freely available in natural plant foods, many rely on vegan frankenfoods, supplements or go short. I'm not in any way suggesting a vegan diet is any more deficient than the standard US/ UK diet which we all know is appalling.

The conversion rate of short chain to long chain omega-3s can be as low as 10% and is affected by the levels of omega-6s in the diet which are plentiful in many nuts, seeds, soya, vegetable oils and grains. The amounts of things like flax oil, ground flaxseeds or chia you need to consume each day can be prohibitive to get an optimal intake. I always recommend vegetarian and vegan nutrition clients take a marine algae extract for DHA and EPA.

Calcium I calculated you'd need ~400g of flaxseeds or almonds or ~750g of spinach a day to hit the US target for an adult female (1g), again it's prohibitive. And that's ignoring the mineral binding factors in spinach and other plant foods. For both calcium and vitamin D many vegans and some veggies rely on fortified soya or almond 'dairy', let's be honest fortifying is just supplementing by another name.

Additional problems occur when you do the maths for different nutrients and try to combine - eating too many leafy greens doesn't leave you much room for the blue/ purple, red, and yellow/ orange produce, eating piles of almonds is incredibly high in calories and fat, and contains very little omega-3s. The reality is few want to eat solely for nutrition, they'd quite reasonably rather have peanut butter than gritty ground flax. But you'd need over a kilo of peanuts to get enough calcium, by contrast I can get the full amount in just 60g of grana padano cheese leaving me plenty of calories for a serving of oily fish for the DHA, EPA and B12.

We didn't evolve on a vegan diet and IMO it shows (not pushing primal nor paleo agendas, I am a lifestyle healthcare professional).

I looked back on my diary to look and see what nutrients I was getting. Interestingly I've been logging off and on for a few years. I'm getting way more of the nutrients that are tracked on a whole foods plant based diet than I was on a conventional diet, or the Mediterranean diet that I also tried for 6 months. I'm getting 100% or better of all the tracked nutrients. I eat about 2,000 calories per day on average. I try to also burn 3,000 calories per week through exercise. The parts of the world that have populations that are missing out on nutrients suffer from malnutrition due to a lack of food. The Standard American Diet kills not by malnutrition but by cardiovascular disease (heart attacks and stroke), cancer, and diabetes.
  • toddslaten1
    toddslaten1 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    the majority of the responses on here are from misinformed a-hats. there's a herbivore group on here that you should join if you want more information or you can add some vegans to your friends list. the only thing you might need to supplement is b12, everything else is plentiful in a vegan diet.

DHA, EPA, calcium, bioavailable vitamin D, haem iron are not all freely available in natural plant foods, many rely on vegan frankenfoods, supplements or go short. I'm not in any way suggesting a vegan diet is any more deficient than the standard US/ UK diet which we all know is appalling.

The conversion rate of short chain to long chain omega-3s can be as low as 10% and is affected by the levels of omega-6s in the diet which are plentiful in many nuts, seeds, soya, vegetable oils and grains. The amounts of things like flax oil, ground flaxseeds or chia you need to consume each day can be prohibitive to get an optimal intake. I always recommend vegetarian and vegan nutrition clients take a marine algae extract for DHA and EPA.

Calcium I calculated you'd need ~400g of flaxseeds or almonds or ~750g of spinach a day to hit the US target for an adult female (1g), again it's prohibitive. And that's ignoring the mineral binding factors in spinach and other plant foods. For both calcium and vitamin D many vegans and some veggies rely on fortified soya or almond 'dairy', let's be honest fortifying is just supplementing by another name.

Additional problems occur when you do the maths for different nutrients and try to combine - eating too many leafy greens doesn't leave you much room for the blue/ purple, red, and yellow/ orange produce, eating piles of almonds is incredibly high in calories and fat, and contains very little omega-3s. The reality is few want to eat solely for nutrition, they'd quite reasonably rather have peanut butter than gritty ground flax. But you'd need over a kilo of peanuts to get enough calcium, by contrast I can get the full amount in just 60g of grana padano cheese leaving me plenty of calories for a serving of oily fish for the DHA, EPA and B12.

So I guess people Like T. Colin Campbell, Caldwell Esselstyn, and John McDougall are just boobs that didn't do their research.........It's simple, if it's not for you, don't do it. It works for some, and some strive on it!(me included!) It's amazing how all the "experts" chime in on being vegan when they haven't experienced both sides of it......like I always say, take advice about being vegan from vegans. Others, 99% of the time, are clueless as to what they are talking about.
  • Bumbeen
    Bumbeen Posts: 263 Member
    Options

So I guess people Like T. Colin Campbell, Caldwell Esselstyn, and John McDougall are just boobs that didn't do their research.........It's simple, if it's not for you, don't do it. It works for some, and some strive on it!(me included!) It's amazing how all the "experts" chime in on being vegan when they haven't experienced both sides of it......like I always say, take advice about being vegan from vegans. Others, 99% of the time, are clueless as to what they are talking about.

China study sucks.

Vegans deserve their poor health, which is just tuition paid to their own universe trying desperately to teach them about the nature of life. - Mark Rippetoe
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    PaleoPath4Lyfe Posts: 3,161 Member
    Options

I looked back on my diary to look and see what nutrients I was getting. Interestingly I've been logging off and on for a few years. I'm getting way more of the nutrients that are tracked on a whole foods plant based diet than I was on a conventional diet, or the Mediterranean diet that I also tried for 6 months. I'm getting 100% or better of all the tracked nutrients. I eat about 2,000 calories per day on average. I try to also burn 3,000 calories per week through exercise. The parts of the world that have populations that are missing out on nutrients suffer from malnutrition due to a lack of food. The Standard American Diet kills not by malnutrition but by cardiovascular disease (heart attacks and stroke), cancer, and diabetes.

Do you not realize that malnourishment does not only rear its ugly head with those that look like they are starving? Obesity can also be a sign of malnourishment.

The Western world is mostly overfed and under nourished.
  • redraidergirl2009
    redraidergirl2009 Posts: 2,560 Member
    Options
    It depends on how and why you go vegan. Some do soley for ethical reasons and so they may not think about healthy eating. I went vegan initially for health reasons so I stay away from the vegan chickn and oreos for the most part. I was also never the biggest fan of meats and dairy is out since I am allergic. I also struggled with ibs which is nonexistent since becoming vegan.
  • Firefox7275
    Firefox7275 Posts: 2,040 Member
    Options

As I said "I'm not in any way suggesting a vegan diet is any more deficient than the standard US/ UK diet which we all know is appalling."

You have misunderstood what the term malnutrition means, it encompasses many forms of poor nutrition including obesity and deficiencies not simply undernutrition/ undernourishment/ starvation.
    http://www.who.int/nutrition/pressnote_action_on_malnutrition/en/
    Malnutrition is an issue in all nations, deficiencies are seen concurrently with obesity: research the stats on magnesium and vitamin D in the west for example.

You might also want to research the links between deficiencies in magnesium, zinc, chromium and a couple of the B vitamins and insulin resistance/ type 2 diabetes; long chain omega-3s, magnesium, calcium, vitamin D and cardiovascular health; micronutrient/ antioxidant deficiencies and DNA damage or immune dysfunction (carcinogenesis). It's far from only the macronutrients (fats, proteins, carbs) that cause or contribute to lifestyle disease in the west.

Since you don't list which nutrients are being tracked your claims are meaningless - the post I responded to claimed EVERYTHING bar vitamin B12 is plentiful. I was quite specific about the nutrients and forms that are a problem or at risk in a vegan diet, other nutrients are a problem or at risk in other restrictive or commercial diets, which is why most healthcare and medical professionals don't advocate them.
  • CoachReddy
    CoachReddy Posts: 3,949 Member
    Options
    I assume this thread is so long because a bunch of flamers jumped in about how the OP shouldn't go vegan right? about how the "research" is all meaningless?

amiright?
  • BurtHuttz
    BurtHuttz Posts: 3,653 Member
    Options
    I assume this thread is so long because a bunch of flamers jumped in about how the OP shouldn't go vegan right? about how the "research" is all meaningless?

amiright?

You're saying that because you've jumped to a conclusion without reading anything. I see a trend.
  • CoachReddy
    Options

amiright?

You're saying that because you've jumped to a conclusion without reading anything. I see a trend.

i usually read everything and still jump to my same conclusions. ;)

am i wrong about the thread?
  • Firefox7275
    Options

i usually read everything and still jump to my same conclusions. ;)

We've noticed.
  • CoachReddy
    Options

I was quite specific about the nutrients and forms that are a problem or at risk in a vegan diet, other nutrients are a problem or at risk in other restrictive or commercial diets, which is why most healthcare and medical professionals don't advocate them.

veganism isn't a "restrictive" or "commercial" diet. Vegans don't view it as "I can't have meat". They simply don't WANT to have meat. There's a difference.

Additionally, healthcare professionals don't typically advocate veganism because it often leads to fewer trips to the doctor's office, provided you're smart and make sure you're getting - like you said - the necessary vitamins that may not be as abundant in typical veggies. However - there are plenty of whole food ways to GET the necessary vitamins without eating meat. Seaweed is a great example, as it has an incredible amount of calcium and iron. You just have to work a little harder, but it's all there (sans the B12).
  • BurtHuttz
    Options
    veganism isn't a "restrictive" or "commercial" diet. Vegans don't view it as "I can't have meat". They simply don't WANT to have meat. There's a difference.

OMG STOP IT ARE YOU KIDDING?
    #1: Vegans != vegetarians.
    #2: Humans have been consuming and using animal products for 30,000 years. To say that eliminating animal products isn't "restrictive" is simply insane.

Stop trolling.
  • CoachReddy
    Options

OMG STOP IT ARE YOU KIDDING?
    #1: Vegans != vegetarians.
    #2: Humans have been consuming and using animal products for 30,000 years. To say that eliminating animal products isn't "restrictive" is simply insane.

Stop trolling.

restrictive implies you don't want to be doing it. it's not restrictive to me if I enjoy living that way. haha

and not trolling. :)
  • BurtHuttz
    Options
    restrictive implies you don't want to be doing it. it's not restrictive to me if I enjoy living that way. haha

Incorrect.
  • CoachReddy
    Options

Incorrect.

this isn't a "correct" or "incorrect" kind of thing. just because it would feel restrictive to you, doesn't make it feel restrictive to me. and there's nothing wrong with either one. just a personal choice.
  • Firefox7275
    Options

Additionally, healthcare professionals don't typically advocate veganism because it often leads to fewer trips to the doctor's office, provided you're smart and make sure you're getting - like you said - the necessary vitamins that may not be as abundant in typical veggies. However - there are plenty of whole food ways to GET the necessary vitamins without eating meat. Seaweed is a great example, as it has an incredible amount of calcium and iron. You just have to work a little harder, but it's all there (sans the B12).

Which all sounds logical until you consider that the United States is not the centre of the universe and other countries don't all run their healthcare system the same as yours. The UK National Health Service is the largest employer in Europe, it is NON profit making and bulk funded through taxation not individual direct payments. Hospitals and GP practices manage their own budgets which are basically paid on number of patients not number of visits, so should be better off financially with fewer patient visits provided members of the public remain living in the catchment area of the hospital and registered at the surgery.

Whilst a better nourished and healthier population could mean fewer men of working age register at a GP practice, children will still need vaccinating, females of childbearing age will still need birth control and elderly people will still be elderly so it's likely they will continue to register (free). Most of the healthcare professionals I have worked alongside over the last two decades have been in the field because they want to make a difference, to work with people, because they are interested in human biology or public health. Most would be delighted not to be chronically overworked! And most taxpayers would be delighted if their income tax liability fell.

You've made this claim about seaweed before and I debunked it before too. There is ZERO haem iron in any seaweed, unless it's genetically modified. Raw kelp was the best seaweed for calcium of the ones on Self, only needing an adult female to eat about 600g a day for the recommended 1g intake, you'd need to up that to about 640g to get 18mg non haem iron for an adult female. As you say I'd have to work pretty hard to eat that much each day!
  • Fittreelol
    Fittreelol Posts: 2,535 Member
    Options
    I'm a little confused about all the folks who insist on a vegan diet because of how animals are treated on factory farms. It's like saying you're going to be completely nudist because of sweat shop labor.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,585 Member
    Options
    Life has balance. I believe vegans counter meat eaters. They both help each other to an extent.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition