Guys that are a 3 trying to be with girls that are an 8...

Replies

• I would stay off dating sites. They are set up to be very visual. The first thing you see is the photo of the other person, so you make a judgement immediately based on looks.

but... then , no one would be HERE....
  • MelMoly
    MelMoly Posts: 1,303 Member
    Any guy can get any girl if he is a nice guy... 3 going for 8 or 8 going for a 3.... looks don't matter
  • jr1985
    jr1985 Posts: 1,033 Member
    With only having time to have made it through about half of the responses thus far.

No... The 'rating system' is not based only off of looks by any stretch of the imagination. I think most of us can agree that a guy that is a 10 looks wise, can drop on the scale quite a bit if he is a real jerk, Won't do anything for himself and still makes his Mommy fold his laundry for him, etc.

Conversely, a guy who is a '3' looks wise. can also climb the scale pretty quickly if he is a great guy, responsible adult etc.

Also, a clean, form flattering outfit, new hair cut, fresh shave and shower, and a good cologne can do WONDERS for just about any guy looks wise. (same with the right outfit, make up, perfume, etc for girls).

Sure if Tim Tebow asked me out I wouldn't turn him down... but also wouldn't expect to only date guys of his stature... But then again according apparently I rank about .5 on the scales, and have no soul for clearly being the only one on MFP to even consider 'ranking' people on any sort of scale anyways, so what do I know...?

Also to everyone saying that they don't 'rate' people based on any kind of scale... combination of looks, personality, finances, responsibility, etc.... Then either the maybe 5% of the population that doesn't, has ALL magically congregated together here in the MFP threads, or you guys are just lying to yourselves...
  • TK266
    TK266 Posts: 3,638 Member
    As a solid 5.6, I am open to most number especially 3.14. cuz I love 3.14. :tongue:
  • Ben2118
    Ben2118 Posts: 571 Member
    Someone's 3 can be another persons 8, if you want to place a shallow emphasis on appearance then it's simply down to personal preference.

Based on this scoring system I'd consider myself to be a 3 or 4, and my ex is at least an 8 or 9. This is my opinion though, some people may see me as more or as less.

Maybe the 3 or 4 guys are actually 8 or 9's?? But you're not scoring the whole package, just one section of it.

Pretty shallow way of looking at things.
  • meredith1123
    meredith1123 Posts: 843 Member
    I dont understand numbers, sorry.

Makes no sense to me.

A guy could be a 3, but be SUPER Awesome for a girl that is a 9.
    A girl could be a 9 but be SUPER awesome for a guy that is a 4.

this is like saying that age 40 isnt good for an age 30 year old.

these are irrelevant numbers that arent necessary for dating.
    not to mention a little vain.

Who's to say that a guy who is a 3 to you, isnt a 7 to the girl next to you who happens to be a '7' just like you.

I mean really - seems a little vain to me.
    open your eyes.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Ha!

Single people are funny.
  • Ben2118
    Ben2118 Posts: 571 Member
    As a solid 5.6, I am open to most number especially 3.14. cuz I love 3.14. :tongue:

can't beat some 3.14!!
  • Skratchie
    Skratchie Posts: 131 Member
    I can understand what the OP is saying, and I think people have focused too heavily on her "rating system" to really understand her point. When I was single, I was also very frustrated with the number of men in my age group (at the time, I dated men who were 30-45 yrs old) who didn't really want a woman who was in that age range. What most of them really wanted was the "beach bunny" type who were 25 yrs old max, the type of girls who were vapid and played the "I need a strong man to take care of me" card so well, you'd think they had water on the brain. Most of these men had been married in the past and were looking for the anti-wife - a woman with no kids, no commitment and no common sense. OR they wanted a woman who could at least PRETEND to be that person, and I don't play games.

Surprisingly, the men I ended up dating were younger (25-32ish), and while I never considered any of them long term relationship material, they were FUN. I think that they knew that I didn't consider any of them to be serious relationship candidates, so it allowed us both to enjoy our time together, and I didn't date any of them exclusively when I was seeing them. I had a "friends with benefits" arrangement with someone so I never considered sleeping with any of them. LOL

Interestingly enough, a few years ago, I ended up marrying a man in that age range, who is much younger than me, and I've never been more happy in a relationship. Because I allowed myself to open my "criteria" just to pass the time, over time I guess the age thing didn't become an issue for me (it was a pretty big obstacle for me when I first started dating those guys), and by the time I met my husband, I wasn't resistent to becoming involved with him. Of course, the first three months of our relationship was a "no relationship, no commitment" type of thing ... it wasn't ever supposed to be more than a fling. You can see how well THAT worked out. LOL

But women can be just as shallow as men ... I've known women who date guys because of the money the guy makes, or the perception that he has money. And I've known women to date men based on their looks, so it's definitely a two-way street. My advice is to stay away from dating sites, and get out into the world and meet people. It's much different meeting someone in person than it is online, and people you may not consider dating based on a profile pic may be a great fit for you once you get to know them. :-)
  • firstsip
    firstsip Posts: 8,399 Member
    With only having time to have made it through about half of the responses thus far.

No... The 'rating system' is not based only off of looks by any stretch of the imagination. I think most of us can agree that a guy that is a 10 looks wise, can drop on the scale quite a bit if he is a real jerk, Won't do anything for himself and still makes his Mommy fold his laundry for him, etc.

Conversely, a guy who is a '3' looks wise. can also climb the scale pretty quickly if he is a great guy, responsible adult etc.

Also, a clean, form flattering outfit, new hair cut, fresh shave and shower, and a good cologne can do WONDERS for just about any guy looks wise. (same with the right outfit, make up, perfume, etc for girls).

Sure if Tim Tebow asked me out I wouldn't turn him down... but also wouldn't expect to only date guys of his stature... But then again according apparently I rank about .5 on the scales, and have no soul for clearly being the only one on MFP to even consider 'ranking' people on any sort of scale anyways, so what do I know...?

Also to everyone saying that they don't 'rate' people based on any kind of scale... combination of looks, personality, finances, responsibility, etc.... Then either the maybe 5% of the population that doesn't, has ALL magically congregated together here in the MFP threads, or you guys are just lying to yourselves...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Attribution_bias
  • mrsknotts
    mrsknotts Posts: 115
    I dont think anyone regardless of how they look should rate themselves lower than a ten. You have a lot going for you! You sound smart, logical, hardworking and beautiful. You're above average in every way! Hold out for your ten because that's what you deserve in life, and that person should feel you're a ten too!
  • BeachGingerOnTheRocks
    BeachGingerOnTheRocks Posts: 3,927 Member

You. I like you.

November-12-2011-21-37-27-mindblown_zps55dd769c.jpg
  • GenesisandEden
    GenesisandEden Posts: 338 Member
    I love Steve Buscemi
  • SwimFan1981
    SwimFan1981 Posts: 1,430 Member
    Is this crap for real??

yup unfortunately

Ah, in that case.....

RollingEyes1.gif
  • Pixi_Rex
    Pixi_Rex Posts: 1,676 Member
    Did you ever stop and think maybe its not your looks that are turning the men away?
  • andreanicole686
    andreanicole686 Posts: 406 Member
    Theres a difference in *kitten* guys who aren't attractive, are jerks etc. etc. only trying to go for the top notch girls and treating all other girls like crap. I think maybe that's the direction you should/are to be thinking? Looks are what everyone obviously sees first but personality has so much to do with it too. I have seen some attractive guys that are just cocky jerks and it automatically makes them unattrative to me. Same thing with girls for guys.
  • MireyGal76
    MireyGal76 Posts: 7,334 Member
    Honestly, I am sick about the whole "league" bull *kitten*. I find someone I care about and want to be with, and they tell me that I'm out of their league. No way! If I like someone, and they're funny and sarcastic, live life hard, respectful, etc, etc... AKA if they have a personality that appeals to me... they're in my "league".

Who the hell makes these leagues up? What is the criteria for a 3, a 6, an 8, a 10?

I know that I see myself as an average person. I confess I see a good looking guy and won't approach because I don't feel confident enough... But I have no problem with talking to anyone and becoming friends with them... and that is what is necessary for me to develop a relationship.

Maybe it's different if you're looking to pick up, or be picked up... but that's not my game.
  • WinnerVictorious
    WinnerVictorious Posts: 4,733 Member
    what?

no 6 + 9 = 69 jokes??

c'mon people. you're better than that. you have to bring your "A" game to threads like these. :angry:
  • TMR001
    TMR001 Posts: 37
    Evidently the men that are on MFP are very evolved and do not rate women's looks. Good for you guys.

In the social science world studies have been done regarding this issue. What they found was that people usually paired up with people that rated on about the same attractive scale as themselves. Many studies have been done on what we find attractive.

I did the whole internet dating thing in my single days and what I found was that most of the men I went out with from these sites were always kinda waiting to see if something better would come along. We would keep chatting to keep me on the line just in case and then Friday afternoon I'd get the, "hey, you want to meet at trudy's tonight".... Figured that one out pretty quick.

A dear friend of mine met her husband on Match and he happen to be the first guy she went out with from the site. So there are no hard and fast rules in this game.

I'd say just keep yourself out there and don't worry about it. Don't think of every date as the possible Mr. Right just enjoy the date. The right guy will be the one that isn't so focused on it how hot a chick he can get. Date people you find interesting and fun and are attracted to and one day the right guy will be sitting accross from you at the table. Don't waste your time on guys that are always "busy"

I got a lot of nice meals from guys that never called me back. Enjoy dating it shoudl be fun.
  • Lift_hard_eat_big
    Lift_hard_eat_big Posts: 2,278 Member
    Men can be a zero in the looks department. But if he's got power and money he can pull 10's all day. Many of those women are thirsty tricks! For example, Hue Hefner, Lil Wayne. Can you honestly say that if they didnt have money and power that they would still be able to pull the same women with their personality alone?