You Can Go To The Melting Pot!

Options

Replies

• LaurenAOK
    LaurenAOK Posts: 2,475 Member
    Options
    sure you can go to the Melting Pot....but be prepared to spend $150 per couple.

We avoid that place like the plague. If I'm going to spend $150 it's going to be meat that's not factory farmed.

By boyfriend and I just went there. A full four-course meal is $80 per couple. Not too bad at all!

I mean sure, we save it for special occasions, but I love that place. Also I'm excited they're introducing a healthier menu! Last time I went my meal was like 1900 calories. Ouch. But so worth it :)
  • Mickeyriv
    Mickeyriv Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    We get it ONESNAP.. You HATE The Melting Pot... I think the OP was only trying to tell us of a little bit of a healthier way we could eat at that particular restaurant for the people who may actually eat there. I myself have never been, but have always wanted to go. Of course it would be only for a special occasion as the price does seem a little steep.

BUT there is no reason you should continue BASHING people for their opinions or for them trying to give people information that could help them in their journey.. We get that you only like FARM raised animals and FRESH seafood... you dont have to keep trying to beat it into anyones head that has commented on this post... MOVE ALONG!!!

Thanks to ONESNAP, I've never been more motivated to eat at a Melting Pot than I am right now. There's one just 2 miles from my house and I haven't been there in years!
    Making reservations today.

Thanks again ONESNAP.

Yep, agreed!

Double YEP!
  • k8blujay2
    k8blujay2 Posts: 4,941 Member
    Options
    Now I want to try the Melting Pot... must find coupons and convince husband that we should do this.

Oh and I LOVE Legal's Seafood too... If one came to my area I would be there in a heartbeat... I don't care if I'm in Texas either.

:laugh:
  • PatrickSwayzesGhost
    PatrickSwayzesGhost Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    Do you leave the place smelling like food? I don't like leaving a restaurant smelling like food.
  • UnderCoverShyGirl
    UnderCoverShyGirl Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    Thanks for this - i would have never guessed on my own! I'm not a huge chain fan either, but happily go for drinks and a snack with girlfriends, and because it's more unusual (not a lot of fondue restaurants around, and yep, they are all usually a bit pricey for the niche!) I think it's fun.

Maybe it's just me, but the last few days, everytime i pop into a thread of someone giving a helpful suggestion or trying to share information there is beyond the normal amount of haters....weird!

Thanks for taking the time to share this info with others - you certainly didn't have to bother and many of us do appreciate it!
  • askcupid117
    askcupid117 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    Thank you OP for your posts. I would never have known they were doing a "skinny" menu if you hadn't made this post! This is a great idea for Valentine's day! Thank you!
  • AllTehBeers
    AllTehBeers Posts: 5,030 Member
    Options
    I go to The Melting Pot for drinks, salad, cheese fondue, and dessert fondue.

I am educated, I know it's expensive (we actually usually spend more than $150 when we go, but when we go, we aren't trying to be frugal), I enjoy it, it's a fun experience with friends/family, and nothing someone says is going to change that.

P.S. I will now be putting together a group to go out to The Melting Pot sometime in the next week. Thanks, onesnap. :flowerforyou:

Pick me! *waves $20's around like I'm going to the strip club*
  • RunsOnEspresso
    RunsOnEspresso Posts: 3,218 Member
    Options
    Thank you OP! I have been trying to convince the BF to go, maybe I can use this as more ammo!

And the fact that one poster went on for 4 or 5 pages, makes me want to go even more. One or two posts would have been more than sufficient. To each their own when it comes to where they choose to eat and spend. :smile:

I like "experience" places. In San Diego we went to this steak place where it was grill your own. Good food and fun to get a big slab of meat to put on the grill. Plus the sides were so rich and delicious. I am drooling just thinking about it.
  • Pixi_Rex
    Pixi_Rex Posts: 1,676 Member
    Options
    My thoughts...

If I'm going to the melting pot means I'm celebrating something and therefore would probably just have a hiatus unmanaged meal and enjoy!

Yep. And for $150 I prefer to go to a local restaurant where I know that the meat and seafood is not crap.

OK onesnap... pretty sure everyone gets that its not your cup of tea.. you do not need to keep saying 150 dollars over and over again. Pretty sure we are all adults and can make our own minds up we do not need you to help us. So simmer down.
  • stratmantl69
    Options
    All that comes to mind when I read this thread is the old psychologist's axiom:

"Your map is not the territory"

Education and knowledge are powerful. Excessive preaching and defensiveness tend to close-mindedness and veiled arrogance. The point, no matter how valid, becomes lost with the latter approach.................
  • Katemarie34
    Katemarie34 Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    Thanks OP for posting, never heard of it... but thanks to Onessnap- pretty sure I just looked up the nearest place, and will hopefully get my boyfriend to go! and is it bad that I'm writing this just to see what she has to say more? Wow, I didn't think someone could go on... and on...AND ON about a place they didn't like so much- should have stopped at the first post, I think we got you don't like spending 150 any time, that you like making garlicky cheese at home, and that you dislike people that don't have the same views as you... oh and that you have 2 homes, so that you can be by the mountains, and the ocean- pretty awesome.
  • Bonny619
    Bonny619 Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    I could totally skip the entree and just eat the cheese and chocolate fondue!
  • dawnna76
    dawnna76 Posts: 987 Member
    Options
    I could totally skip the entree and just eat the cheese and chocolate fondue!

Oh me too, the cheese course is the best!
  • brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    Options
    I have never seen one person post so many times, saying the exact same things in rapid succession before. Back on topic.

I like the melting pot, go about once every two years or so and don't worry one iota about spending a lot on the meal. I'd probably just go with the works though, since it's a splurge night already, might as well be in the calories department as well.
  • Eliza1980
    Eliza1980 Posts: 303 Member
    Options

Education and knowledge are powerful. Excessive preaching and defensiveness tend to close-mindedness and veiled arrogance. The point, no matter how valid, becomes lost with the latter approach.................

Very well said! :drinker:
  • Onesnap
    Onesnap Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    I have a question for OneSnap. Being a Bostonian, where do you stand on Legal Seafood?

Also, having a foot in Maine, do you look down upon someone from, say, Pennsylvania purchasing Maine lobsters from their local grocery's seafood department?

Legals = "meh" Not everyone here likes it really.

Not really talking about the quality of food but rather from your support of local business stance.

Also, you skipped my question about Maine Lobsters.

I guess I should elaborate. My work used to do two dinners per year at Legal's. The management got all wonky and they started to force "extra" steak and lobster dinners on our attendees to take home (they had a quota for the room which was awkward for our attendees). They also made us buy two extra bottles of wine each and take them home. Again, awkward.

We spent $1000s there each year and after that occurred two to three times we took our business next door to an Italian place.

I missed your Lobster question but I do get them local, yes. I get them from a little market in town where the people get them that day (steamers too). There's also seafood CSAs where my friends get the seafood delivered each week from the fishermen. Sorry I missed your Lobster question.

SkipJacks used to be better than legals but the small seafood places (seafood shacks in particular--eat on picnic tables) are well loved by me and all of my friends. I don't have one friend or colleague that LOVES Legal Seafoods. Not because they are local--we used to love them. The management as of late has really been horrible (see example above)

You are still missing my point on both questions. Legal Seafood is a local business in Boston that has grown into a national chain. Do you begrudge them of this or are they still considered a local business?

With the Maine Lobsters, do you have a problem with someone from Pennsylvania buying a Maine lobster from their local grocery given that it is not a locally sourced food?

No, because it's supporting an industry in Maine. :) When the shrimp is from overseas instead of the US that's kinda crappy. That's all. US shrimp is mighty fine.

I'm not missing the point on Legal's. Yes, it's a chain and local but my employer had a bad experience two or three times so it's soured my opinion on how they do business. Plus, in Boston it's not really thought of in a positive light. Most people I know would prefer a small little seafood shack with picnic tables... :)
  • Onesnap
    Options

Very well said! :drinker:

Sorry to beat a dead horse. Those that made fun of my points just don't get it and that is EXTREMELY frustrating even if no ill intent was meant.
  • Onesnap
    Options
    Thanks OP for posting, never heard of it... but thanks to Onessnap- pretty sure I just looked up the nearest place, and will hopefully get my boyfriend to go! and is it bad that I'm writing this just to see what she has to say more? Wow, I didn't think someone could go on... and on...AND ON about a place they didn't like so much- should have stopped at the first post, I think we got you don't like spending 150 any time, that you like making garlicky cheese at home, and that you dislike people that don't have the same views as you... oh and that you have 2 homes, so that you can be by the mountains, and the ocean- pretty awesome.

Actually I have three homes (we work full time and run two side businesses)

I don't dislike those that have different opinions than me.

Stop jumping to conclusions. And as I stated before I don't dislike the melting pot. Me, my friends, and my family (all healthy weight people for the most part) would rather spend our cash-ola elsewhere. That's all I was saying. Melting Pot = fun. Melting Pot = not my favorite place.
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    PaleoPath4Lyfe Posts: 3,161 Member
    Options
    sure you can go to the Melting Pot....but be prepared to spend $150 per couple.

We avoid that place like the plague. If I'm going to spend $150 it's going to be meat that's not factory farmed.

Exactly. In fact, unless there is an emergency, we rarely eat out very many places any more.

We mostly cook at home.
  • Onesnap
    Options
    My thoughts...

If I'm going to the melting pot means I'm celebrating something and therefore would probably just have a hiatus unmanaged meal and enjoy!

Yep. And for $150 I prefer to go to a local restaurant where I know that the meat and seafood is not crap.

OK onesnap... pretty sure everyone gets that its not your cup of tea.. you do not need to keep saying 150 dollars over and over again. Pretty sure we are all adults and can make our own minds up we do not need you to help us. So simmer down.

You simmer down.
This discussion has been closed.