Social Policing of "did you get your flu shot?" Yay or nay?

Options

Replies

• love22step
    love22step Posts: 1,103 Member
    Options
    I took flu shots for years, but I've sworn off the last couple of years.
  • obwize
    obwize Posts: 102
    Options
    When people ask about flu shots, I usually turn it around and give them the chance to talk about it by saying, "You sound really concerned about that. What is it that is important about flu shots to you?" Or "You have some strong feelings/opinions about the subject."

I really like this. Very calm, but still pointing out that it isn't the other persons business. Although, if the person asking had a little baby, or was older, I could see it being a precaution against being exposed to the virus. And even then these questions would give them opportunity to say "I'm concerned about exposing a specific individual to the unnecessary illness."

Also, on a side note, I have a VERY difficult time not asking about dogs. Partly because of curiosity, but mostly because I think it is just amazing and wonderful that dogs are able to help people with so very many different needs. Fortunately for both our comfort, I withhold from asking questions, unless it is what is your dog's name, age... the usual stuff I'd ask about any dog.
  • whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,025 Member
    Options
    so what's a good answer when people are getting nosy? I asked on another post and someone said stfu, but I can't go around saying that to p.t.a. moms?

Either just say yes to appease them or say "I am sorry, but I don't feel comfortable sharing my health care choices." Personally I find it incredibly rude of them to even ask.

But if you don't get them, I urge you to reconsider. Your choice to NOT get one could cost another, a baby or an elderly person most likely, their lives.

I had a close friend who, whenever he would get the flu shot, ended up within a few days getting the flu..every time. And not just a mild case. Severe. He stopped getting them in junior high and afterwards, he either didn't get the flu or got a very mild case.

Forgive me for being pedantic. He didn't get the flu, he only had flu-like symptoms. The flu virus in vaccines is dead.

The injection is dead
    The nasal spray is a weakened live virus

Already aware, but thank you for iterating. :flowerforyou:
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    I took flu shots for years, but I've sworn off the last couple of years.

I haven't had one since I was 18 or 19.
  • SeaRunner26
    SeaRunner26 Posts: 5,143 Member
    Options
    While it is a personal choice, I feel that it is socially irresponsible to not get one. Roughly 90% of the population in a given area need to be immune in order for "herd immunity" to take place. The remaining 10% should be made up of those who have allergic reactions or sensitivities to such immunizations. A normal healthy adult who does not get one puts others at risk.

Unfortunately, what you're describing does not appear possible. According to a recent news article on the current flu shot, it was reported as only being about 60% effective. That means if 100% of the population got flu shots, we would never reach the 90% herd immunity you've described.

See http://www.foxnews.com/health/2013/01/13/scramble-for-vaccine-as-flu-season-heats-up/

Refer to the fifth question, "Q: But don't some people get vaccinated and still get sick?"
  • ChelseaYepThatsMe
    Options
    I will not get them anymore, as everytime I did, I got sick. The past few years I haven't got them, and I haven't gotten sick. I refuse to let my little one get them either. Talk crap if you will, her health is in my best interest, and the first time she got one, she got horribly sick.
  • SeaRunner26
    Options
    so what's a good answer when people are getting nosy? I asked on another post and someone said stfu, but I can't go around saying that to p.t.a. moms?

You could try something to the effect that you prefer to keep your health information private (as protected by law). But thanks for asking!
  • Mustang_Susie
    Mustang_Susie Posts: 7,045 Member
    Options

Either just say yes to appease them or say "I am sorry, but I don't feel comfortable sharing my health care choices." Personally I find it incredibly rude of them to even ask.

But if you don't get them, I urge you to reconsider. Your choice to NOT get one could cost another, a baby or an elderly person most likely, their lives.

I had a close friend who, whenever he would get the flu shot, ended up within a few days getting the flu..every time. And not just a mild case. Severe. He stopped getting them in junior high and afterwards, he either didn't get the flu or got a very mild case.

Forgive me for being pedantic. He didn't get the flu, he only had flu-like symptoms. The flu virus in vaccines is dead.

The injection is dead
    The nasal spray is a weakened live virus

Already aware, but thank you for iterating. :flowerforyou:

You're welcome
    Immunosuppresion is one of the determining factors for choice of vaccine as people have been "discussing"
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    I haven't had an immunization for anything in years. If my body is too weak to fight off something as pathetic as influenza, then I deserve death.
  • whierd
    Options
    While it is a personal choice, I feel that it is socially irresponsible to not get one. Roughly 90% of the population in a given area need to be immune in order for "herd immunity" to take place. The remaining 10% should be made up of those who have allergic reactions or sensitivities to such immunizations. A normal healthy adult who does not get one puts others at risk.

Unfortunately, what you're describing does not appear possible. According to a recent news article on the current flu shot, it was reported as only being about 60% effective. That means if 100% of the population got flu shots, we would never reach the 90% herd immunity you've described.

Source? I am mainly referring to other immunizations, such as polio, that require the 90% immunity. However, if I am wrong about the flu specifically, please link your source so I can check it and its own sources.
  • PikaKnight
    Options
    I will not get them anymore, as everytime I did, I got sick. The past few years I haven't got them, and I haven't gotten sick. I refuse to let my little one get them either. Talk crap if you will, her health is in my best interest, and the first time she got one, she got horribly sick.

Definitely a personal choice. I am starting to see why the OP dreads answering this question..lol.
  • whierd
    Options
    I haven't had an immunization for anything in years. If my body is too weak to fight off something as pathetic as influenza, then I deserve death.

What about the elderly and babies, the two demographics most at risk, who can contract it from you while you may never show a symptom?
  • SeaRunner26
    Options
    I also agree that everyone who can get them should. I have a weakened immune system, and caught the flu despite getting my flu shot. I was over it faster than I would have been if I hadn't had the shot, but people who don't get it are putting medically fragile individuals at risk, and I have a problem with that.

To answer your question, if I felt like you did, and was asked, I'd say "That's kind of a personal question, don't you think?" And walk away.

What's ironic about your post is that even though you got your flu shot, and even though you got over the infection faster, you were still spreading the virus before you were aware you had it so the vaccine did nothing in your case to protect the rest of the public, including the medically fragile at risk. I'm certainly not demeaning you, just pointing out the irony of the situation.
  • Gallowmere1984
    Options

What about the elderly and babies, the two demographics most at risk, who can contract it from you while you may never show a symptom?

Then refer back to my statement, but replace 'my' and 'I' with 'their' and 'they'.
  • Mustang_Susie
    Mustang_Susie Posts: 7,045 Member
    Options

The CDC attempts to produce the proper vaccine for the most prevalent strain(s) each year, but they don't achieve 100% accuracy.
    So, some people slip thru the cracks, so to speak.
  • whierd
    Options

Definitely a personal choice. I am starting to see why the OP dreads answering this question..lol.

Believe it or not, this is one of the most controversial topics I have ever seen on any forum. It can get ugly.
  • ChelseaYepThatsMe
    Options

Then refer back to my statement, but replace 'my' and 'I' with 'their' and 'they'.
    I vaccinated my daughter when she was a baby, SHE GOT SICK. She hasn't had one since, and she hasn't got sick.
    how bout that.
  • whierd
    Options

Then that is your choice to make and live with.
  • PikaKnight
    Options

Believe it or not, this is one of the most controversial topics I have ever seen on any forum. It can get ugly.

Well, maybe we should just stick to answering the OP's question then and avoid going into the pros and cons of actually getting a flu shot before it gets out of hand - just saying.
  • Gallowmere1984
    Options

Then that is your choice to make and live with.

Precisely. I firmly believe that nature has filters for weakness, but we keep ****ing it up by poking holes in said filters. It's almost like we are trying to make evolution run backward.