Did you know your body has a natural fat burner?

Options

Replies

• Scrimples
    Options
    Yeah but I'm not talking about prerogatives or choices or preferences. I'm talking about what "processed" even means. From everything I've seen, it's just a BS term people use to label foods they don't like as "bad."

"Processed foods are any foods altered from it's natural state. However, when people speak of limiting or cutting out processed foods they are usually speaking about a narrower definition. In these instances people are speaking of foods that are chemically altered through additives, artificial colors, preservatives, stabilizers, fillers, and the like and/or are manufactured in a way to damage the nutritional integrity of the food."

When I speak of prerogatives I am addressing the other person's post regarding what people do with their food.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    TACOTACOmaybeyoucaneditthisgif_09cdff_3796906_zps52dd1762.gif
  • auroranflash
    auroranflash Posts: 3,569 Member
    Options
    It's a hormone that starts with the letter A i forget exactly what it's called. Also you need to be as stress free as possible because when your stressed wether its bad or good stress this other hormone calle cestrol I think that's what it's called anyways it cannot determine the difference between an emergency stressful situation or a positive stressful situation so cestrol releases and cause you to be hungry when you may not be. Anyway here are a few things that can help lose fat/belly fat naurally without having to diet, take pills, or count calories even though I will still count my calories.

1. NO concintrated juices
    2. NO processed foods.
    3. NO margarine (use butter instead)
    4. NO whole wheat bread
    5. NO bread(in general), pasta and other "comfort foods".
    6. NO high carb meals.
    7. NO apple pie, cakes, muffins, pizza.
    8. EAT nutrient dense foods.
    9. DRINK green tea. (Donot waste calories on a drink)
    10. NO proccessed soy(soy milk, tofu, soy protein).
    11. EAT snap peas, green beans, and other legumes.
    12. NO genetically modified foods.
    13. NO energy gars.
    14. NO soda/soft drinks, sports drinks or other sugary drinks.
    15. NO canned soups
    16. NO microwaveable popcorn (old fashioned air popped is okay)
    17. NO foods labeld diet, or fat free.

An energy gar would be a terrifying fish.
    tumblr_lidqt7kuVJ1qeeqk5o1_1280.jpg
  • geebusuk
    geebusuk Posts: 3,348 Member
    Options
    I suspect my point was (hey, I'm tired, it's past my bed time, but someone on the internet is WRONG*) that the people choosing to go for 'unprocessed' foods often do it for the wrong reasons.

And yes, chewing is also a form of processing.
    Results quite like a 'food processor' actually :).

The point with this unusual way of looking at it is to illustrate that our body doesn't actually 'use' a whole carrot - so if you pay for a carrot that's been mushed already (lets say recently, but by someone else, to make it easy), there's little difference bar the calories required to cruch said carrot. Similarly, if you add some water and sugar to that carrot, versus drinking the sugar and water before after.

If it works for you; makes sense.
    For some people it seems to be a case that they're intolerant to an ingredient or another in foods, but find it easier to buy single-ingredient foods rather than work out which one. And again, that may well be a sensible option.
    But for many, they seem to do this just because someone told them it was the 'one true path' to healthiness - for me I'm sure getting the right vitamins does help, but it's only one piece in the overall puzzle.
    And on that, blanket dislike for 'additives' annoys me. What if I use an 'additive' of some leek to my potato soup; for some, describing it with that word immediately makes it bad.

*If you haven't seen the XKCD cartoon, do ignore - I certainly don't claim to know enough to be right.
  • Natihilator
    Natihilator Posts: 1,778 Member
    Options

*WHEW* that's a relief because I like key lime pie a lot more.
  • 76tech
    76tech Posts: 1,455 Member
    Options

*WHEW* that's a relief because I like key lime pie a lot more.

Strawberry rhubarb for me.

And beer. I see no mention of NO beer on the list. Yay.
  • kelly_e_montana
    kelly_e_montana Posts: 1,999 Member
    Options
    In a perfect world, this is how I strive to eat. I actually did almost all of this for about 4 months and lost 35 of my 45 pounds, much quicker than I have lost counting calories and sticking to MFP. But, it's not workable long-term for me.
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options
    But for many, they seem to do this just because someone told them it was the 'one true path' to healthiness ...
    Yeah, this is what I'm talking about. People talk about "processed" foods obviously using it as a pejorative, but "processed" in the way they are using it is a meaningless word with a circular definition. It's a loaded language fallacy best I can tell.
  • Scrimples
    Options
    I'm really starting to think that perhaps people are jumping to the conclusion that *all* people who choose to eat in a different way, like choosing less processed or unprocessed options to eating less or eliminating sugar, are somehow trying to assert that they are superior in some way or all knowing or even judging of other's choices or don't have any clue about what they are doing. Is that the core of all the derision around here? Obviously some people are going to be that way (regardless of their dietary choices), some will even tell you that this is the only way to be (obviously or we wouldn't be on this thread), but to conclude that everyone is like that is a shame.
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options
    No, I'm not interested in how you personally choose to eat. I just want someone to define what "processed" means, because people keep using it to demonize foods. You just did it again. People choose not to eat processed foods, yadda. Again it's circular. They choose not to eat foods because those foods are processed, because processed foods must be bad somehow, and that's why they choose not to eat them.

Perhaps if you substituted the word "processed" with "fiddle-dee-doo" you might see the absurdity of the usage of the word "processed" around here.
  • EvaD12
    EvaD12 Posts: 49
    Options
    My body has 2 natural fat burners, they are called my legs and if I use them lots for things other than sitting down it works really well.
  • Scrimples
    Options
    No, I'm not interested in how you personally choose to eat. I just want someone to define what "processed" means, because people keep using it to demonize foods. You just did it again. People choose not to eat processed foods, yadda. Again it's circular. They choose not to eat foods because those foods are processed, because processed foods must be bad somehow, and that's why they choose not to eat them.

Perhaps if you substituted the word "processed" with "fiddle-dee-doo" you might see the absurdity of the usage of the word "processed" around here.

How about you let John's Hopkins Center explain it to you then... http://www.jhsph.edu/research/centers-and-institutes/teaching-the-food-system/curriculum/_pdf/Food_Processing-Background.pdf

What you are looking for is the minimally processed portion. If you actually talk to people who try this lifestyle they are mostly following the elimination of the highly refined foods as described on page two while going light on the foods described in the processed portion.
  • Scrimples
    Options
    I suspect my point was (hey, I'm tired, it's past my bed time, but someone on the internet is WRONG*) that the people choosing to go for 'unprocessed' foods often do it for the wrong reasons.

And yes, chewing is also a form of processing.
    Results quite like a 'food processor' actually :).

The point with this unusual way of looking at it is to illustrate that our body doesn't actually 'use' a whole carrot - so if you pay for a carrot that's been mushed already (lets say recently, but by someone else, to make it easy), there's little difference bar the calories required to cruch said carrot. Similarly, if you add some water and sugar to that carrot, versus drinking the sugar and water before after.

If it works for you; makes sense.
    For some people it seems to be a case that they're intolerant to an ingredient or another in foods, but find it easier to buy single-ingredient foods rather than work out which one. And again, that may well be a sensible option.
    But for many, they seem to do this just because someone told them it was the 'one true path' to healthiness - for me I'm sure getting the right vitamins does help, but it's only one piece in the overall puzzle.
    And on that, blanket dislike for 'additives' annoys me. What if I use an 'additive' of some leek to my potato soup; for some, describing it with that word immediately makes it bad.

*If you haven't seen the XKCD cartoon, do ignore - I certainly don't claim to know enough to be right.

I actually started this when I did find out I was allergic to things and had to start really paying attention to the ingredients. That close scrutiny made me question whether I wanted to or needed to eat those foods. Then after having to do an elimination diet where I was required to eat from only a few dozen foods for a while and then add foods back slowly to gauge reaction I discovered that I felt better without most of the processed stuff. A leek would be an ingredient not an additive and then you'd have some nice vichyssoise. What I do is ask myself what would be yummier and healthier canned or homemade vichyssoise? I'll look at the can and see something like extra sugar or salt or any of the other 3000 food additives that can legally be put into and wonder, "why would you need to add sugar to it? I never needed to put hydrolyzed corn syrup in my vichyssoise. Pass." I don't see it as vilifying any foods. I see it as choosing to make a healthier and usually tastier option, because at home I can control what is in it. Nothing wrong with that in my mind.

You are absolutely right that not all additives are bad, actually I personally won't condemn any of them straight out as we are always learning new things. If you use salt or pepper in food you have an additive after all. The legal FDA definition of food additives is technically, "any substance the intended use of which results or may reasonably be expected to result -- directly or indirectly -- in its becoming a component or otherwise affecting the characteristics of any food." Yeah not exactly put in consumer friendly terms, but they do have a list of all of the legal additives on their site though. http://www.fda.gov/Food/FoodIngredientsPackaging/FoodAdditives/FoodAdditiveListings/ucm091048.htm
  • foxfe
    foxfe Posts: 8
    Options
    shes pretty much right....don't think NO. Think ANYTHING that comes from earth that isn't altered by humans is "A" ok. And all the other stuff, moderation if you must have it! Lots of WATER! and a "free day" will help your metabolism from plateauing.
  • chocl8girl
    chocl8girl Posts: 1,968 Member
    Options
    LMAO. Nope.
  • spamantha57
    spamantha57 Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    Lots of WATER! and a "free day" will help your metabolism from plateauing.
    What's a free day? Can I take lots of them? Cuz they're free & all...
  • norcal_yogi
    norcal_yogi Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    you mean adrenaline? lol at all this
  • Shadowknight137
    Shadowknight137 Posts: 1,243 Member
    Options
    OH, I get it.

"Natural fat burner" refers to how one can intuitively ("naturally") lose weight and/or body fat following all of these commandm-suggestions WITHOUT counting calories! It's essentially a Paleo, low carb diet that - transitioning from a diet of junk food and "unhealthy" eating - people can naturally "burn fat" on.
    What a brilliant idea, truly marvellous in fact. Really.

Why this was posted on a calorie counting forum - where people are *already counting calories and have a basic idea of as to how nutrition works* is another story altogether...

<|3
  • PrincessT82
    Options

1. NO concintrated juices
    2. NO processed foods.
    3. NO margarine (use butter instead)
    4. NO whole wheat bread
    5. NO bread(in general), pasta and other "comfort foods".
    6. NO high carb meals.
    8. EAT nutrient dense foods.
    9. DRINK green tea. (Donot waste calories on a drink)
    10. NO proccessed soy(soy milk, tofu, soy protein).
    11. EAT snap peas, green beans, and other legumes.
    12. NO genetically modified foods.
    13. NO energy gars.
    14. NO soda/soft drinks, sports drinks or other sugary drinks.
    15. NO canned soups
    16. NO microwaveable popcorn (old fashioned air popped is okay)
    17. NO foods labeld diet, or fat free.

Yah... there's just no point living like that. You will have to pry the bread and pasta out of my cold, dead hands.
  • maddmaddie
    maddmaddie Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    Yeahhhhh, no thanks. I'd rather enjoy my food, watch my portions, and workout at the gym instead.

Thank you very much!

:)