Do you get a lot more attention after weight loss?

Options

Replies

• avababy05
    avababy05 Posts: 930 Member
    Options
    Definatly yes! Sometimes its a good thing and sometimes it's not.The attention from younger guys is inspiring.

But I wasn't expecting the affect it would have on my career.

I was at my last job for 14 years but didn't get promoted until I lost weight about ten years into it which made me a little disgusted and bitter.I had the same qualifications when I was fat. Now I'm at a new job where only two people knew me before and I've been promoted twice in a year and a half.Things that make me go hmmmmm.
  • avababy05
    avababy05 Posts: 930 Member
    Options
    And I love high school reunions because it's fun to shoot guys down who teased me or ignored me.Shallow but fun
  • stackhsc
    stackhsc Posts: 439 Member
    Options

I think it has less to do with the actual weight you lost or what your weight is and more to do with the confidence you exude when you feel good about your self and are proud of yourself.

I agree and disagree. yes sure confidence may have something to do with it but i dont feel any more confident now than i did before i lost my weight. in fact i actually was more self concious and less confident for a while as i adapted to my new body/clothes/look etc.
    I think the biggest part is that human nature attracts people to people who have a certain set of physical attributes and healthier/slimmer tends to be one of those attributes for most people.
  • denezy
    denezy Posts: 573 Member
    Options
    It is interesting, I am currently in the phase where all my friends and coworkers are starting to ask why I am single and if they can set me up. I'm like... I've been single for 10 years... why are you wondering now?
  • Brianna72994
    Options
    I started getting attention after only losing a few pounds. I had one guy holler at me when I was walking down the street. Honestly, I dont see why people like getting that kind of attention, it feels creepy to me.
  • FitGuyWillDoIt
    FitGuyWillDoIt Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    Yup. And I won't lie, it's great and I like it :bigsmile:
  • mjhedgehog
    mjhedgehog Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    Yeah I get a lot more attention now. It kinda makes me uncomfortable sometimes but I guess I'm just shy to begin with.
  • deadmittens
    deadmittens Posts: 536 Member
    Options
    I have recieved more attention and it just makes me nervous. :ohwell:

I avoid eye contact and get bashful, but somehow come off as a *****.
  • sweetpea129
    sweetpea129 Posts: 755 Member
    Options
    Confidence may be a small part of it but, IMO, the physical look is more of it. I was confident even at my heaviest. Actually I'm less confident now because I care more about my "flaws" and fixing them. Yet I get hit on 100x more now than I did then. People are just attracted to certain looks I guess.
  • sweetpea129
    sweetpea129 Posts: 755 Member
    Options
    Fellas love me, I'm on my Kim K.

Bahaha!!!! Same here girl, same here!
  • mrshoneydew
    Options
    I do, but I'm married, so it's kind of mixed feelings.
    I can't say that I don't like getting attention and compliments, but for every one innocent person who compliments on my appearance, there are 10 creepers in their place making me feel uncomfortable. I got the attention before loosing weight, but it's much more often now. It's a definite self esteem booster when a cute clerk gives me the extra big smile during checkout, or when someone says that I'm pretty.
    But when a person doesn't know when to take the hint when I tell them I'm married, then things get tricky. :frown:
  • Rhonnie
    Rhonnie Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    I think it has less to do with the actual weight you lost or what your weight is and more to do with the confidence you exude when you feel good about your self and are proud of yourself.

But how can we be sure? The two seem to be so intertwined. Anybody felt confident AND got plenty of attention while still overweight? Please share!

I know it's not all or nothing though. I still got/get attention while overweight, but less so. However my confidence is in direct proportion with my size, unfortunately.

There are plenty of heavier women that get loads of attention - they are happy vivacious confident women who are happy with who they are and comfortable with their size - embrace their size even!
  • rickpearce
    rickpearce Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    How much of this has to do with the yoga pants most of you are probably wearing way more often now? lol.

Congrats to everyone whose said they feel more confident. That is amazing. Big congrats to some ppl who are getting some action cuz of their loss.
  • mrshoneydew
    Options
    Oh yeah, it's also kind of funny because when I was in high school, I was the gross fat girl (weighed around 240 back then) that everyone joked about dating and couldn't get a date.
    Now I weigh about 90 lbs less and guys I went to high school with who used to make fun of me are now on Facebook like "Hey you look great!".
    Thanks, and you are 10 years too late suckas! :tongue:
  • alexhelena
    alexhelena Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I really think its mainly confidence. When you don't feel attractive because you're not happy with your weight you look sad. People don't like sad, unconfident people.

Conversely, when you feel sexy and toned (even if you statistically still are overweight), you just ooze happiness and good vibes. People are attracted to happy, confident people.

Take it all in stride. Be complimented and feel good and then use that as fire to keep going.

So true!

(Also your photos look amazing! great job! :smile: )
  • AlbertOakaTREE
    Options
    So very true
    I really think its mainly confidence. When you don't feel attractive because you're not happy with your weight you look sad. People don't like sad, unconfident people.

Conversely, when you feel sexy and toned (even if you statistically still are overweight), you just ooze happiness and good vibes. People are attracted to happy, confident people.

Take it all in stride. Be complimented and feel good and then use that as fire to keep going.
  • izoom3
    izoom3 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Yup sure do....and at my age I was blown away! I kind of take it as a compliment. But it saddens me to know that these people wouldnt have given me a second look a year or so ago. Their loss, Im the same person now as I was then....just healthier.
    BTW, I married my guy 38 years ago...hes been with me through thick and thin...I would NEVER consider anyone giving me compliments or hitting on me able to change the love I feel for my husband.
  • squinz
    squinz Posts: 136
    Options
    I think so. But you also feel more confident and dress to reflect that, which helps!
  • lacroyx
    lacroyx Posts: 5,754 Member
    Options
    A little bit. I'm pretty much oblivious to from the opposite sex. Having rarely gotten attention for most of my 20's to now, in my 30's.
  • apittmanrn
    apittmanrn Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    This really, is a wonderful thing. It was also a terrible pitfall for me.

I was always pretty overweight throughout my teens and early 20s, (25 now) During this time in a persons life, this is pretty much where you make all of your friends who will or will not last throughout your lifetime.

When I lost weight, I noticed strangers hitting on me. I also noticed that people from our "circle" of friends started noticing me too.
    Before, i was the fat chick. the fat friend. I had a male friend who I may have crushed on a bit when i was bigger, he never gave me the time of day, relationship wise. After I lost weight, he was very VERY into me. It sort of hurts. Makes you realize how shallow people can be, even your own friends. =(

I experienced the same thing!!!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!