Fishing for compliments?

Options

Replies

• jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    It takes all kinds to make up the world. Some might need a little encouragement or some might be just what you say they are. No two people think, feel, or are exactly the same. Maybe someone doesn't like the things you post. In the end... if it bothers you then you don't have to look at it. I don't worry too much about what other people do unless it directly affects me and my goals.

As soon as MFP adds the ability to filter threads from the RFT list, it will be a lot easier to do this.

I'll be over here holding my breath for that update...and the ability to follow posts...and notifications for posts on other walls...and a half dozen other features we're all waiting for.
  • losingweightatl
    Options
    The stress of letting something bother you that you have no control over doesn't seem healthy to me. I would focus my energies on something that I find useful and positive.
  • whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,026 Member
    Options
    It takes all kinds to make up the world. Some might need a little encouragement or some might be just what you say they are. No two people think, feel, or are exactly the same. Maybe someone doesn't like the things you post. In the end... if it bothers you then you don't have to look at it. I don't worry too much about what other people do unless it directly affects me and my goals.

As soon as MFP adds the ability to filter threads from the RFT list, it will be a lot easier to do this.

I'll be over here holding my breath for that update...and the ability to follow posts...and notifications for posts on other walls...and a half dozen other features we're all waiting for.

You and I both.
  • laurenk182004
    laurenk182004 Posts: 1,882 Member
    Options
    I'm a professional compliment fisher :) do you think I'm pretty? Lol
  • Ascolti_la_musica
    Ascolti_la_musica Posts: 676 Member
    Options
    My profile pic is a body I aspire to have. My desktop image is a before/after pic of a woman who had my current body type and now has the body I did when I was healthy.

Joining in these silly games provides me an opportunity to make someone else feel good about themselves. I don't generally go back into the thread to see what got posted back at me. When I need a confidence boost, though, I might. I imagine some will compliment the art. (Todd Lockwood, if anyone is curious.)

Some may go to my profile page and either be offended or amused by my text. Some will go further still and look at my actual photographs, and think "oh, what a cow. At least I'm not that big!" Which, in turn, allows them to feel better about themselves.

It's all fun and games. It's also capable of being more, if you let it.
  • Lyadeia
    Lyadeia Posts: 4,603 Member
    Options
    Seriously, coming from a guy who has only recently been getting compliments after more than a few years of thinking he was the ugliest creature in existence, they can make a massive difference when trying to battle a lifetime of bad habits. :)

+1

Now that I have a body that I am somewhat proud of, getting complimented every now and then keeps me motivated to keep kicking my own *kitten* in the gym on a daily basis. Otherwise, I'd just sit at home and let myself get obese again, because if nobody's going to notice me, then why would I work hard anyway?
  • Amy62575
    Amy62575 Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    I'm a professional compliment fisher :) do you think I'm pretty? Lol

Gorgeous!!!! :wink:
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    <====this might be an example of what OP is talking about and my ticker below.

both my profile and ticker pics are "fake" by your definition. they are used for inspiration/visualization. they resemble the real me at my goal weight and that's why i use them. I prefer to use my pics like that to get more out of the site. i personally would dwell on my current "look" and get downtrodden. it does nothing for me to include my pic because i'm not on this site looking for anyone to date or marry or meet in person for any other reason like friendship, workout buddy, or WORKOUT buddy, if you catch my drift:wink: . (not to imply that those who do have pic's are looking for someone as i know most are probably not, maybe they are used to posting pictures on websites, or proud of how they look after successful weight loss, or interested in showing their transformation via their profile pic, or any number of reasons... not my business). I try to correct anyone who mistakenly beleives that's me. some may fall through the cracks. I also try to accept anyone no matter how they choose to use their profile pics and tickers etc.

everyone is free to use this site as they please. some people are more comfortable using their real pics than others. some people (OP) aren't comfortable using any pic's at all I guess. but I won't assume you're ugly or too dumb to know how to upload a pic. only that you have chosen not to upload one for whatever reason.

in life it's usually best not to jump to the worst conclusions. for your sake and others. and it's even better not to advertise when you are doing that. just for your own sake.

oh and i think all those topics are fun and games which is probably why they are under that title not to be taken too seriously. try it lighten up a little...see how you feel. :drinker: :bigsmile::flowerforyou: :glasses:
  • MyChocolateDiet
    Options
    People show up here with broken self esteem. Those threads help them put it back together. Don't hate.

But what about the people who mend their own self-esteem by dragging others down?
    yeah wheird, just yeah. you always know just what to say.
  • whierd
    Options
    It's because I'm witty.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    Options
    and why the new angry pic? response to OP?
  • Pixi_Rex
    Pixi_Rex Posts: 1,676 Member
    Options
    I agree. Anyone without a real picture of themselves I'm just going to assume must be ugly.

Or maybe we have a reason for not having a profile picture. My friends all have seen my face, my face has been up frequently but sometimes... I just don't want my face on here. Not ugly, actually I feel that for a fat girl I am quite pretty.
  • whierd
    Options
    and why the new angry pic? response to OP?

Response to a different thread that seriously pissed me off.
  • MelMel7j
    Options
    I am a "fisher"... I think everyone needs to hear good things every now and then... And I believe there are not enough people out there giving them out as freely as they should. I love hearing that my boots are cute or that I have a cute smile. There is nothing wrong with fishing... Especially when we are surrounded by so many that don't throw "the line" often...

It is absolutely awesome that I can come to MFP and get a boost when I'm not really feeling great!
  • fitfreakymom
    fitfreakymom Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    ah hell if you are handing out free beer I drink keiths or moose hear lol

ment to say moose head lol
  • LouMonoLou
    Options
    the picture I use here is a visual of what I will look like when I reach my goal weight. it helps me to see myself that way. helps in my success.

how did you do it :O
  • bandedsandi
    bandedsandi Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    Scroll up^^ It says Chit-Chat, Fun, and Games. I'm not a highly trained investigator though....

^^^ This.
  • ToughTulip
    ToughTulip Posts: 1,118 Member
    Options
    So what?? Compliments are nice :) I do not mind giving them
  • charelg
    charelg Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    Here fishy fish..we all can use a compliment :D
  • whierd
    Options