What is the biggest unexpected surprise after losing weight?

Options

Replies

• IlfirinLuthien
    IlfirinLuthien Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    bump
  • LilBelieve
    Options
    bump I love these!
  • kbuelo
    kbuelo Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    A new guy at work asked me, after I lost weight about 4 years ago, "how do you stay so tiny if you eat so much..." (I was doing small, frequent meals so he probably did catch me eating all the time). The shock wasn't that he thought of me as tiny (well, that, too), but mostly that for the first time ever that I wasn't embarrassed by the acknowledgement that I actually EAT. When I was heavier I didn't want people to actually see me eating. It felt like at that moment, life just get so much easier.

Awesome topic, I love reading these comments!
  • Ultragirl2374
    Ultragirl2374 Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    I just posted in another foum topic I've started responding to people when they ask if I'm going to lose much more weight, "We'll see what happens when I stop taking the meth."

But how I respond when people ask me HOW is on my ticker, "It's this crazy fad diet pill called GET UP AND MOVE YOUR *kitten*."

Love your ticker and I love the number on it!! You totally rock!!!
  • future_rockstar
    future_rockstar Posts: 711 Member
    Options
    bump
  • ToFatToBeSick
    Options
    Actually, the biggest surprise was how nobody is ever completely satisfied with weight loss. My family went from saying I needed to lose the weight to telling me that I need to stop losing weight. I guess they thought my weight loss journey was about them and what they wanted...
  • ChristinaR720
    Options
    How much I actually enjoy exercising! I always hated when people told me I should exercise, and now I look forward to it!
  • VorJoshigan
    VorJoshigan Posts: 1,106 Member
    Options
    I have a ribcage?! WTF?! Where the hell did this come from?
  • KathrynCatlady
    KathrynCatlady Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    bump
  • BuhbyeBooty
    Options
    I haven't sat comfortably in months...I used to sit on the floor a lot, but now it's too painful for my less-cushioned rear! :(
  • AngelAura777
    AngelAura777 Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    I cant find a pair of sunglasses that suit me and that I like because my face is a lot skinnier! also muscles in places I never thought I had muscles haha
  • Jerrypeoples
    Jerrypeoples Posts: 1,541 Member
    Options
    i havent had a NSME (Nearly Shi! Myself Event) in close to 5 months now. In conjunction with my poor eating habits (lots of fast food) and some anxiety that came along with hating my old job I always had to know where I was going and where public restrooms were so that I knew I could stop and drop a deuce.

it sounds funny and i wont lie it was/is but it was also horrible to try to make plans with anyone. I'm not talking two hour trips I mean simple 10-15 minute trips would scare the bajesus out of me.
  • Derpina666
    Options
    bump
  • kmchambers64
    kmchambers64 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    I have always been cold. I was cold all through college at size 6, and I am cold now all the time and I am a size 16. So I am a little frightened by the cold thing everyone is talking about. In our house I wear a sweatshirt in the summer because my athletic sons are always hot.
  • lisavirani
    lisavirani Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    1) I've had 5 people not even recognize me. People I have met over 5 times in the past year.
    2) My knees hurt when laying on my side... the cushion is gone.
    3) I'm becoming much more confident in myself (and in the bedroom)
    4) I've started enjoying shopping more.
    5) When laying on a hard surface, it's not as comfortable.
    6) I am much more in control of myself now.

Those are just a few things, ha. Overall, I am the same person, just improved. I do not think people are treating me much different. I get a little more respect and credibility to other people living a healthy lifestyle, which is nice. I have been able to encourage and inspire others the way people have inspired me, and I think that is wonderful.
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,257 Member
    Options
    Weird one. We are on holiday and my husband complained about the size of my suitcase. When I was fat I only took a couple of pairs of baggy trousers and some tops and could only wear trainers with orthotics. This time I have all sorts of new clothes including tight jeans, some pretty dresses and several pairs of shoes. So as you shrink the size of your suitcase increases! !
    Today we had to walk up a hill with lots of steps to our holiday flat. Could never have done it before - no way.
    Every day at home when I am doing my stationery cycling I look down at my thin thighs and think, 'whose are those? ' !
    My puffy ankles are shrinking. Hooray!
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,257 Member
    Options
    Forgot to say, probably the most unexpected one - I used to have a phobia about going in to shops and restaurants where there is background music playing. It caused a kind of panic attack which made life very difficult. I always had to carefully check out the places I was going to and it was annoying for those close to me.
    I have lost 36 lbs and feel more confident . The last twice I have found myself in a place with music playing it has really been ok. Not wonderful, but I was able to ignore it and get on with my meal and talking to the people with me. This really is a breakthrough and must be about feeing more in control of my life. Long may it continue as it has been a real limiting factor in my enjoyment and has led to me not wanting to go out at all if I wasn't sure of the venue.
  • Lynn_is_happy
    Lynn_is_happy Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    I got my "V" back!
  • JanieJack
    JanieJack Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    The biggest surprise for me was hearing thin people talk so BAD about people who are my old size or bigger. :huh: :grumble:
  • AuntieMC
    AuntieMC Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    I grew an inch! I am 56 years old, and have been 5'4" all my adult life. I was also very obese, almost my entire life. I was a 300 pound teenager. I have lost 175 pounds in the last year and a half. Last week, when I was at the doctor's, they measured my height, and said I was 5'5". I corrected them, and told them I was 5'4". They measured me again, and said, no, it shows 5'5"!! The only thing I can figure is all that weight on my mid-section must have cause bowing in my back, and with the weight gone, my back is straighter now! So, I "grew" an inch!

I am also surprised at how much I notice other people's weights, now. I used to be totally oblivious. Now, I notice that practically everyone is at least overweight! It makes me sad, because our American lifestyle is SO unhealthy! It took getting a major illness for me to finally DO something about it. I wish I could spare other people that kind of pain!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!