Added benefits of eating vegan

Options

Replies

• bathsheba_c
    bathsheba_c Posts: 1,873 Member
    Options
    The thread is about the health benefits of veganism. We're saying that a vegan diet is not necessarily healthy, and that not everyone can be healthy on an ideal vegan diet. That hardly meets the definition of "talking crap." Unless, of course, YOU feel threatened by anything less than fawning adoration . . .

This might blow your mind but vegans generally know that avvegan diet isnt necessary healthly. Most of us read labels and are well aware how much junk food is actually vegan k?

If they know that, then why did they start a threat about how healthy being vegan is? Furthermore, I fail to see the difference between someone who tried to be vegetarian and got sick commenting on a thread like this, and someone who tried going low carb with disastrous results mentioning their experience on a thread about the health benefits of going low carb.
  • redraidergirl2009
    redraidergirl2009 Posts: 2,560 Member
    Options
    The thread is about the health benefits of veganism. We're saying that a vegan diet is not necessarily healthy, and that not everyone can be healthy on an ideal vegan diet. That hardly meets the definition of "talking crap." Unless, of course, YOU feel threatened by anything less than fawning adoration . . .

This might blow your mind but vegans generally know that avvegan diet isnt necessary healthly. Most of us read labels and are well aware how much junk food is actually vegan k?

If they know that, then why did they start a threat about how healthy being vegan is? Furthermore, I fail to see the difference between someone who tried to be vegetarian and got sick commenting on a thread like this, and someone who tried going low carb with disastrous results mentioning their experience on a thread about the health benefits of going low carb.
  • redraidergirl2009
    Options

I don't know because maybe they wanted to see if anyone else had any benefits. You can go back and see my post and you'll see I did have some benefits but warn its not a cureall. Honestly i think you just came on this thread to troll
  • sullus
    sullus Posts: 2,839 Member
    Options
    Just a little Nomenclature issue:

Vegetarian is the diet

Vegan is the lifestyle.

I get tweaked at improper usage. Most people here talk about "going vegan", but the vast majority are just adopting a vegetarian diet. "Going Vegan" means .. no leather, wool, most cosmetics, wine, etc. Vegan is FAR more than what you eat.
  • poedunk65
    poedunk65 Posts: 1,336 Member
    Options
    Your crazy too!! Those ARE NOT vegan! Anything with all those additives are so bad for you. Just goes to show what lack of knowledge can do or accept.
    Not to rain on your parade, but there are also plenty of people who report negative health effects from being a vegan, even doing everything correctly.

Not to mention that oreos, potato chips, french fries, and soda are all vegan.
  • poedunk65
    poedunk65 Posts: 1,336 Member
    Options
    I expierence less arthritic pain in my hands and feet. My gout has completely disappeared. My energy level has skyrocketed too.
  • PhoenixJR
    PhoenixJR Posts: 32 Member
    Options

I don't know because maybe they wanted to see if anyone else had any benefits. You can go back and see my post and you'll see I did have some benefits but warn its not a cureall. Honestly i think you just came on this thread to troll

I had some "benefits". My hair started falling out, my complexion took on a greyish cast, dark circles settled in around my eyes and I was both tired and depressed. There was also this really awesome brain fog that settled in at about year three, I would forget things and space out. I also started feeling tingling in my limbs. I will admit the first two years of being vegan were pretty awesome, these symptoms started around year 3.

My vegan "friends" just insisted I was doing it wrong. I was supplementing and choking down nutritional yeast to no avail. I remember preparing food for my dog (raw meat - sorry, dogs eat meat and I wasn't going to force her to be vegan too - thats cruel) and salivating over the smell of it. When I told my "friends" they insisted that veganism was the only super healthy way to be and I was obviously not doing something right. Looking back at pictures, I am pretty shocked, I was obviously not well.

I ended it. I bought some ground lamb (grass fed/hormone free) and made myself a burger. I ate it and promptly got sick. I tried again a few days later with a smaller portion until I was able to stand it. Slowly I started feeling better and my symptoms abated. I am still mostly vegetarian, most of my protein comes from eggs/milk, but I do eat small portions of fish, poultry, and game. I do believe that meat should be raised humanely, but I do eat meat.

I know there are people who exist happily for decades on a vegan diet, but everybody is different and for SOME people a vegan diet may not be sustainable in the long term.
  • redraidergirl2009
    Options
    I expierence less arthritic pain in my hands and feet. My gout has completely disappeared. My energy level has skyrocketed too.

That's great it helped with gout. I have a cousin who is very sick with gout. The doctors said if he doesn't do something he will be in a wheelchair within 3 years. I was thinking about getting him to try a vegetarian approach since meats aggravate gout and he loves processed meats. But I wasn't sure if beans would have any negative effect on his gout. Do you have any suggestions dietwise what has helped you or what food you found irritated your gout prevegan? I'm really sad because he is my best cousin and only 22.
  • redraidergirl2009
    Options

I had some "benefits". My hair started falling out, my complexion took on a greyish cast, dark circles settled in around my eyes and I was both tired and depressed. There was also this really awesome brain fog that settled in at about year three, I would forget things and space out. I also started feeling tingling in my limbs. I will admit the first two years of being vegan were pretty awesome, these symptoms started around year 3.

My vegan "friends" just insisted I was doing it wrong. I was supplementing and choking down nutritional yeast to no avail. I remember preparing food for my dog (raw meat - sorry, dogs eat meat and I wasn't going to force her to be vegan too - thats cruel) and salivating over the smell of it. When I told my "friends" they insisted that veganism was the only super healthy way to be and I was obviously not doing something right. Looking back at pictures, I am pretty shocked, I was obviously not well.

I ended it. I bought some ground lamb (grass fed/hormone free) and made myself a burger. I ate it and promptly got sick. I tried again a few days later with a smaller portion until I was able to stand it. Slowly I started feeling better and my symptoms abated. I am still mostly vegetarian, most of my protein comes from eggs/milk, but I do eat small portions of fish, poultry, and game. I do believe that meat should be raised humanely, but I do eat meat.

I know there are people who exist happily for decades on a vegan diet, but everybody is different and for SOME people a vegan diet may not be sustainable in the long term.

That's unfortunate people said you were doing it wrong. It doesn't work for everyone. I have read about a few vegans who have had the same reaction. All diets don't work for everyone. I tried low car several times becuase friend told me it wpuld help me lose. I just felt horrible and hungry the whole time. This was prevgan.
  • bathsheba_c
    bathsheba_c Posts: 1,873 Member
    Options

So, if a vegan says that veganism can have health benefits but is not necessarily healthy, that's a positive contribution to the thread.

But if a non-vegan says it, that's trolling. Even if they said it long before the vegan did.

Got it.
  • Iron_Pheonix
    Iron_Pheonix Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    Not to mention mfp is a health/fitness site so most vegans here probably make better food choices than your non-health conscious ones. You can eat crap on any kind of diet. Paleo, vegan whatever.

This is exactly what I was talking about. I never said vegans made horrible health choices, I merely said I was tired of the daily preachy posts.

You automatically assume that because I am not vegan, I am automatically making terrible decisions with my diet. Here is what I ate/will eat today:

Skyr made from free range/grass fed/hormone free milk
    2 prunes

Grilled hormone-free/free range chicken
    Sweat potato
    Steamed broccoli

Almonds

Skyr

Apple

Braised spinach
    Sunchokes
    2 eggs from free range/hormone free chickens

Yes, obviously I am making horrible decisions with my health.

I am offended by the assumption that if you don't eat vegan then you aren't eating healthy. That's coming from someone who has excluded an essential macro from their diet and replaced it with foods that damage the cut. Many vegans have very high intake of carbohydrates and eventually end up with insulin resistance, high cortisol levels and miss essential vitamins like B12.

Each to their own but don't judge others for their choices. I choose to eat Paleo, it's solved many problems for me and I truly believe this is the only way of achieving optimal health.

This is my journey! Find your own path but let others have their journey. Citing research is pointless, we can all find research to support our own beliefs.
  • redraidergirl2009
    Options
    Not to mention mfp is a health/fitness site so most vegans here probably make better food choices than your non-health conscious ones. You can eat crap on any kind of diet. Paleo, vegan whatever.

This is exactly what I was talking about. I never said vegans made horrible health choices, I merely said I was tired of the daily preachy posts.

You automatically assume that because I am not vegan, I am automatically making terrible decisions with my diet. Here is what I ate/will eat today:

2 prunes

Sweat potato
    Steamed broccoli

Almonds

Skyr

Apple

Braised spinach
    Sunchokes

Whoa where did I say you made horrible food choices? Please point that out because apparently I am missing it.

Lol I see what happened I said your. I meant your nonhealth conscious vegans. Not you. Sorry I guess that didn't read correctly.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,998 Member
    Options

2 prunes

Sweat potato
    Steamed broccoli

Almonds

Skyr

Apple

Braised spinach
    Sunchokes

Whoa where did I say you made horrible food choices? Please point that out because apparently I am missing it.

Lol I see what happened I said your. I meant your nonhealth conscious vegans. Not you. Sorry I guess that didn't read correctly.
    Not you specifically but generally speaking most vegans will have everyone believe that a vegan type diet is superior in all ways, which it isn't. Is it better than some or better than the diet that was previously consumed, more than likely. Any diet that is based on whole natural foods is likely going to benefit, but vegan doesn't necessarily exclude processed foods and could be classified with many hats and one not so flattering considering refined carbs and sugar are included under the name vegan, where they're avoided in other non vegan diets where whole foods are the focus. Basically it's the notion that vegan is somehow superior and with most of the proof, personal opinion, which for the most part means little. I've heard every variation of health improvement and life saving attributes with just about every single diet out there whether it be whole food, vegetarian, lacto-ovo, paleo, low carb, zone, 80:10:10, etc. It just gets tedious having to listen to this type of verbal diarrhea, and that includes the paleo community, where everyone spares them little room for that verbal stuff. Veg'n/vegan and paleo is a lifestyle which is perfectly acceptable imo of course.
  • zilea
    zilea Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I'm a huge proponent of eating vegan properly. My husband had debilitating stomach issues that couldn't be resolved with any treatment of any sort until he switched to vegan. He never complains about his stomach anymore.
  • OmmNomNomNom
    OmmNomNomNom Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I went vegetarian a couple of years ago and I've recently incorporated a few days here and there of no animal products at all, and it's awesome! I notice the days that I do get into the cheese or w/e, I have tummy issues. Also, even with a a few days per week change I do see that I break out less :)

Let's focus on the positive people! If you disagree, I'm totally cool with that! But if you want to participate in the thread, please don't bash others, but maybe share some of the ways your lifestyle changes have changed your life for the better!
  • now_or_never13
    now_or_never13 Posts: 1,575 Member
    Options
    People who have acne are generally advised to stop drinking milk, it's breeds acne, so that's why your skin is great now, not the whole vegan lifestyle.

Do you have any proof for this?

I know many people who still consume large amounts of dairy and no acne problems.... I also know many people who have had acne, consumed large amounts of dairy products and were able to get rid of their acne.
  • Alexfit12
    Options
    You know, there is no proof that all the benefits of vegetarian and vegan diets are caused by the lack of meat. Actually, all the health benefits are correlated to the increase in fruit and vegetable consumption.

Honestly, it's very hard to eat enough protein without touching meat. And there is nothing toxic or bad about meat. Processed food on the other hand is, while it can be vegan.

Some people are much better off when they eliminate lactose products, and you may try that. But there's not much benefit derived from giving up meat and eggs.

Why don't you read up on the paleo diet? In my opinion, it's the healthiest you can possibly eat.
  • deb3129
    deb3129 Posts: 1,294 Member
    Options
    Is there any way MFP can get a vegan thread? I am not judging people for following whatever diet they feel is best for themselves, but I am getting tired of the constant self-aggrandizing preachy posts about how awesome veganism is and how gross it is to eat "corpses". Seriously, we all get it, you are all sooooo super awesome for not eating meat/dairy/honey and we are all barbarians.

I experienced many of the same awesome health benefits by not eating processed foods/grains/legumes. I pretty much eat meat/fruit/vegetables/dairy (I have no intolerances to dairy). I think any diet that isn't the Standard American processed food free for all diet will make anybody see health benefits. If veganism works for you and you feel awesome...well great! I'm glad you found something that works for you! It does not make you a better person.

Sorry for the rant, and double sorry if I've offended anybody. I am just sick of all the preaching.

No one on this thread was preaching or talking about eating corpses. Vegans can't have one thread open without someone making jokes or bashing it, yet nonvegans can. How about you look at it from our perspective?

THe way the thread is titled, it is clearly a vegan thread... so I don't really understand why meat eaters come here to argue. If you are a meat eater, and you have never been nor never will be vegan, why would you want to read a vegan thread filled with 'preachy' vegans that is only going to upset you ? I don't eat bacon, but when I see posts about it, I skip them. I feel no need to go into the thread and talk badly about the bacon...
  • toaster6
    toaster6 Posts: 703 Member
    Options
    Certainly not trying to convince people who want to go vegan not to, but the health benefits aren't exclusive to veganism. Since I started eating better and cutting out sugar, I've had so much energy, my anemia went away (I think this was from starting to eat chicken and fish though-- I used to not eat meat) and my skin and hair are looking fantastic. Again, not trying to talk anyone out of going vegan-- just letting people know that overall better eating habits will do wonders for you.
  • now_or_never13
    now_or_never13 Posts: 1,575 Member
    Options
    You know, there is no proof that all the benefits of vegetarian and vegan diets are caused by the lack of meat. Actually, all the health benefits are correlated to the increase in fruit and vegetable consumption.

Honestly, it's very hard to eat enough protein without touching meat. And there is nothing toxic or bad about meat. Processed food on the other hand is, while it can be vegan.

Some people are much better off when they eliminate lactose products, and you may try that. But there's not much benefit derived from giving up meat and eggs.

Why don't you read up on the paleo diet? In my opinion, it's the healthiest you can possibly eat.

You do realize there are lots of ways to get protein without eating meat right? Beans, quinoa, legumes, nuts, nut butters, powders, etc are all great sources of protein. Meat is not the only source of protein.

People also tend to go vegetarian or vegan not because they believe meat is toxic or bad. They go vegetarian or vegan due to the treatment of animals, ethical reasons, environmental reasons (research the effects of raising livestock on the environment), etc. I choose not to eat meat because I do not want to eat an animal that has been killed for me to eat. I look at it this way.. I wouldn't eat a dog, why would I want to eat a cow/ or a pig?

Please look at the lifestyle other than how you are. Veganism goes far beyond what you eat. A vegan lifestyle means no jello, certain lotions, shampoos, etc are not used... they don't wear certain fabrics, etc etc.

Not all people go vegan because they think it's a healthier lifestyle than eating meat. Sure, it can be... but it might not be. A diet that includes meat does not equal healthy. Personally, I do not agree with the paleo diet. It works for some... it doesn't work for someone else.

I don't think the OP was looking for people to post trying to change their lifestyle or what they choose to consume.

Your diet is not better than mine. Mine is not better than yours.
This discussion has been closed.