Online dating

Options

Replies

• wannabtight
    wannabtight Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    I found the love of my life with online dating had some horrific dates before him and had given up and then I got his message! We have been together for 8 years now and he is perfect for me!:heart::heart: :heart:
  • AJL_Daddy
    AJL_Daddy Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    I signed up on a Tuesday Morning in September 2008. Less then a week later, I deactivated, because I met the woman who would become my wife. Match.com really does work. Stick with it!
  • MaraDiaz
    MaraDiaz Posts: 4,604 Member
    Options
    I checked out OKCupid and PoF and all the men in my area look like skanks or scammers. So I went looking at profiles of men in other countries and states. Much better.

Now I'm more determined than ever to move far, far away from here!

Admittedly, the free sites are the bottom of the barrel anywhere, but there was a definite quality difference according to location.
  • legnarevocrednu
    legnarevocrednu Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    Loads of success!!! :-) I've met some cool people!
  • drchimpanzee
    drchimpanzee Posts: 892 Member
    Options
    Basically women on these sites get so many letters eventually all they end up doing is picking out the best looking guys (shallow much ladies?) letters to read. I was on one a few months and maybe got two or three replies. Eventually I gave up on even putting thought in to the emails I sent. Why bother? The women on these sites all say in their profiles say not to write one line emails but why should I spend time writing a couple paragraphs you're not going to even read anyways?
  • Juliejustsaying
    Juliejustsaying Posts: 2,332 Member
    Options
    Basically women on these sites get so many letters eventually all they end up doing is picking out the best looking guys (shallow much ladies?) letters to read. I was on one a few months and maybe got two or three replies. Eventually I gave up on even putting thought in to the emails I sent. Why bother? The women on these sites all say in their profiles say not to write one line emails but why should I spend time writing a couple paragraphs you're not going to even read anyways?

Not all ladies do that...and not all guys write paragraphs...I responded to everyone, accepted all friendships and then talked further to the ones that I felt the spark with...no spark, no additional chatting...simple as that. Met several...once again, no spark, no additional dates...Shallow or not, I don't lead men on if I don't feel a spark...no point.
  • PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    Options
    Never have never will....i don't see anything wrong with it though.

Nothing wrong I suppose but I meet enough guys in real life that are all set to marry me and so on. No need for more. :)

Well, aren't you just a peach.
  • gioisa75
    gioisa75 Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the feedback. I'll give it an honest effort and see how it goes.
  • drchimpanzee
    Options
    I know there's a lot of responses- but here's my story.

I didn't want to do online dating either. But I had terrible luck with guys- especially ones my age. 22 year old guys aren't exactly at my maturity level-especially since I've always been mature for my age.

So, I signed up for one month of Match (thanks to my mom)
    I met my current boyfriend on there. I met him in December of 2010. We're still together. In fact, we're living together, and have been talking about our more "serious" future :)

My advice is to GO FOR IT.
    I know a lot of people have luck on sites like OKcupid, POF, and all those free ones- but my advice is pay for it. I don't regret paying 30 bucks to meet the love of my life. He truly is perfect for me in every way.
    And it's a good way to filter people too.
    And to keep your standards high.
    Never let your standards fall.

I always thought, why date guys that didn't meet my standards? Waste of time. As a result, didn't have a boyfriend until I met this guy.

Couldn't be happier :)

Standards is the PC female term for looks. Keep it classy ladies!
  • Eneelu
    Eneelu Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I would say go for it, just be careful.
    If you aren't too outgoing person, this might be easier way to start. Online dating can have success.

PS. When a girl asks for money online, it's a hint not to continue that communication!
  • Reza151
    Reza151 Posts: 517 Member
    Options

I didn't want to do online dating either. But I had terrible luck with guys- especially ones my age. 22 year old guys aren't exactly at my maturity level-especially since I've always been mature for my age.

I met my current boyfriend on there. I met him in December of 2010. We're still together. In fact, we're living together, and have been talking about our more "serious" future :)

I know a lot of people have luck on sites like OKcupid, POF, and all those free ones- but my advice is pay for it. I don't regret paying 30 bucks to meet the love of my life. He truly is perfect for me in every way.

I always thought, why date guys that didn't meet my standards? Waste of time. As a result, didn't have a boyfriend until I met this guy.

That's rather sexist. I think by standards it embodies (in addition to looks. Because without physical attraction, what separates it from a friendship?) intelligence, values, likes, interests, etc.
  • penrbrown
    penrbrown Posts: 2,685 Member
    Options

... I don't see why you have such a hangup. You're a good looking guy. I highly doubt you've ever been passed up on your appearance alone. So stop being a bitter nancy and recognize that for women attraction lies more in personality then looks.

When I was on those dating sites I looked at plenty of profiles and let me tell you, no matter HOW GOOD the guy looked, if he portrayed a ****ty personality in his profile he was passed up REAL QUICK.
  • ruthiejewell
    ruthiejewell Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    Met my husband 10 years ago on a dating site on the second day of his quite expensive one year membership .. because he thought it'd take a long time! We'd both been single for years, he caring for his Mum, me my daughters. Before meeting him I'd tried a few sites with some success but at times it was depressing and annoying too. Glad I perservered though!! Now we're both on MFP trying to get healthier so we can hopefully be together longer!
  • drchimpanzee
    Options

... I don't see why you have such a hangup. You're a good looking guy. I highly doubt you've ever been passed up on your appearance alone. So stop being a bitter nancy and recognize that for women attraction lies more in personality then looks.

When I was on those dating sites I looked at plenty of profiles and let me tell you, no matter HOW GOOD the guy looked, if he portrayed a ****ty personality in his profile he was passed up REAL QUICK.

I will give you that if a guy has a flat out bad personality he'll probably get passed up regardless of looks but speaking from experience there is a large group of guys getting passed over because they don't meet some nonsense standard of what women think a man should look like. My favorite are the chubby girls who "want someone athletic." Oh cool, I run 3-4 days a week and lift weights. She means me right? Wait no. She means 12% body fat with a 6 pack.
  • Reza151
    Reza151 Posts: 517 Member
    Options

I will give you that if a guy has a flat out bad personality he'll probably get passed up regardless of looks but speaking from experience there is a large group of guys getting passed over because they don't meet some nonsense standard of what women think a man should look like. My favorite are the chubby girls who "want someone athletic." Oh cool, I run 3-4 days a week and lift weights. She means me right? Wait no. She means 12% body fat with a 6 pack.
    There's a large group of women who get passed up based on looks alone, f.y.i.
  • penrbrown
    Options

Don't be silly. Only women pass up men based on appearance alone. *rolls eyes*
  • drchimpanzee
    Options

Yes. I'm sure the 10 billion times I was shot down immediately when I was 290lbs had something to do with a fundamental pesonality flaw which was clearly evident by the way I said "hello." Yeahhhhhhh. Magically this personality flaw has disappeared for at least a few women now at 225lbs. Care to explain why my "hello" sounds different now?
  • PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    Options
    Are you guys seriously fighting over who gets passed on more?

I have to believe it's that it's felt equally on both sides. Online dating is inherently superficial. Sucks, but that's life I suppose. Cheer up! Hugs all around. :flowerforyou:
  • Pollyanna75
    Options
    My opinion is if you're on a free site, you don't know what you're gonna get.
    I've done the online thing, but never any luck. I dealt with some people who ended up being very different in person, than they portray online.

But I do know people who have met their love online, so it can work. :-)

Best of luck!! :-)
  • penrbrown
    Options

Yes. I'm sure the 10 billion times I was shot down immediately when I was 290lbs had something to do with a fundamental pesonality flaw which was clearly evident by the way I said "hello." Yeahhhhhhh. Magically this personality flaw has disappeared for at least a few women now at 225lbs. Care to explain why my "hello" sounds different now?

Dude. You don't have the monopoly on being judged by your appearance. *smh*

Don't be bitter. :)

That's all I'm saying.