Added benefits of eating vegan

Options

Replies

• now_or_never13
    now_or_never13 Posts: 1,575 Member
    Options
    i think you know..

Well because the link doesn't actually go to anything (page says "page not found") I don't. Explain your links... and stop trying to keep proving a point that has been disproven multiple times.
  • tina711x
    Options
    i dont really think i need to explain something if you know how to copy and paste and read it pretty much explains itself.. its a helpful idea of the meaning of a healthy lifestyle.. through government regulated standards.. and for it to be official they do a lot of research making sure that it is ideal for optimal health. sorry its not vegan enough for you.. if i said oh veganism rocks its super healthy and makes your pee look like sunshine then you would be okay with it.. sorry someone doesnt agree with your cult like social status of superiority
  • tina711x
    Options
    nothings been disproven your in denial.
  • now_or_never13
    Options
    i dont really think i need to explain something if you know how to copy and paste and read it pretty much explains itself.. its a helpful idea of the meaning of a healthy lifestyle.. through government regulated standards.. and for it to be official they do a lot of research making sure that it is ideal for optimal health. sorry its not vegan enough for you.. if i said oh veganism rocks its super healthy and makes your pee look like sunshine then you would be okay with it.. sorry someone doesnt agree with your cult like social status of superiority

Did I ever say I was vegan? Never once so please properly read before you make assumptions. I am discussing a topic here and i never once said which side I am on. There are no sides. What is right for you, isn't right for me.. or the other way around. It doesn't mean one way is better than the other. I am open to others opinions... but not when that other person has no interest in actually understand a different view. You look at the world as the meat eating diet is superior and is the only way to go. Open yourself up to other ideas than your own.

I do know how to copy and paste and did just that however the page is no longer there... 404 error code.

A healthy lifestyle doesn't have to include meat. A healthy lifestyle doesn't have to include dairy. There are many many alternatives to meat, eggs, dairy, etc. Just because YOU don't think it's a healthy lifestyle doesn't mean that it is.

Work on your people skills as well.. especially if you are a nurse.
  • now_or_never13
    Options
    nothings been disproven your in denial.

Seriously... open your mind to other views and ideas. Your way isn't the right way. the original posters way isn't the right way, my way isn't the right way.. etc. The right way is what works best for each person.
  • trink68
    trink68 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    No thank you...love veggies but love my chicken and beef too!
  • Fat_2_Fit_Mommy
    Fat_2_Fit_Mommy Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    Bump I really like try out vegan what is the first step should I try?
  • tina711x
    Options
    thats awsome chicken and beef are Good for you! lots of protein, vitamins and minerals :)
  • DesireeLovesOrganic
    Options
    It will be 2 years for me in July and I've never felt better either. Good for you! :)
  • Jojo1859
    Jojo1859 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Not to rain on your parade, but there are also plenty of people who report negative health effects from being a vegan, even doing everything correctly.

Not to mention that oreos, potato chips, french fries, and soda are all vegan.

Actually because oreos have sugar in them we have no way of knowing if that sugar was processed in a way that would make it qualify as vegan.
  • shanmackie
    shanmackie Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    few points after scanning the thread.

1. completing proteins is now known as a myth. you don't need to eat things together to complete your proteins. your diet just has to be varied.

2. for those of you that think you have to eat meat to get enough protein. protein is basically in everything.

3. everybody can live healthily on a vegan diet, you just might have to eat different combinations of fats/proteins/carbs to feel healthy. same as with any other diet.

4. dairy/eggs are freaking disgusting, but that's just my opinion

5. oreos really are vegan, but you might not consider them whole/planet based. if you want to be healthy, eat plant based, not necessarily vegan.

6. posts like this are probably better in the herbivore group, to avoid the self righteous people on here that think they're experts and just want to talk crap on vegans/vegetarians

7. i won't read any replies to this, so attack me or whatever, but i won't read it.

8. add me as a friend if you're actually a vegan/vegetarian and want more veg*n friends.
  • now_or_never13
    Options
    okay well im sorry if i offended you. but look, people get reallyyy sick from this. in my Opinion, its basically disordered eating in an obessive way. not for everyone, but for most. and alot of people that are "vegan" really try to push it onto other people then they get very sick and end up in the hospital.. young people. were talking middleschool/highschool kids and adults that push it on there kids. and you know what they always say? My friend who is vegan told me to do this.. so i did. and i never understood it until seeing this website. vegans are freaking pushy! and they try to make other people feel bad that arent vegan for what they eat. so yes i have very little tolerance for people that make other people sick. being vegan/vegetarian and still remaining healthy and getting all of the nutrients you need is VERY tricky. many people think oh if i become vegan ill get really skinny and be eating clean foods bla bla bla and then they end up in the hospital. this is mostly girls/ women/ and children whose parents made them eat a certain way. and im very kind and caring to my patients that are sick, but to the people that pushed them to get sick.. eh not so much. not saying you, but alot of people on this site are nuts. and people that come on here to see the health benefits of being vegan because they think that its healthy and will help them loose weight, need to realize alllll off the stuff that comes along with it before they make that decision. when really, a healthy well balanced diet of every food group in moderation and light exercise daily is the way to go.

Being vegan isn't always about weight loss and health. Being vegan is also a choice people make for ethical reasons, environmental reasons, etc.

Eating meat can cause some to become sick as well. A healthy diet is about getting the nutrients your body needs. It doesn't matter what foods they come from. You can get the same nutrients from meats in other ways. Sure, there are unhealthy vegans... There are unhealthy meat eaters. It all comes down to how well you know your diet and ensuring you get proper nutrients.

I know quite a few vegans and most are incredibly healthy. All vegans I know did not choose the lifestyle or the diet due to health. A few are not. The vegans I know are not pushy about their diet being better and if they were to be, I refuse to speak with them about diet. I disrespect people who think their diet is better than someone else's yet refuses to actually understand the diet. Like I said, no ones diet or choices are better than anyone else's.

With proper research and preparation you can be a healthy vegan. You still an get all the required nutrients in your diet without eating animal products. It is much harder maybe but it can happen. The key is being informed and prepared.

I choose not to follow a vegan diet because it would be too inconvienant with my meat eating husband. He loves meat and will never give it up. I on the other hand do not eat meat (but I am not vegan). I choose not to eat meat not because I think not eating it is healthier, but because I choose not to eat something that has been killed for me to eat. I do not disapprove of a meat eating diet though and will never push my diet on anyone else and I respect those who do the same.

The point of it all is that any diet whether eating meat and animal product or not can both be healthy diets. No diet is better than the other.

Not everyone who goes vegan gets sick. It is not disordered eating. Not all vegans are pushy.

A lot of vegan choose the lifestyle for reasons other than weight.
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    Options

The point of it all is that any diet whether eating meat and animal product or not can both be healthy diets. No diet is better than the other.

Not everyone who goes vegan gets sick. It is not disordered eating. Not all vegans are pushy.

A lot of vegan choose the lifestyle for reasons other than weight.
    :drinker: You make great points!
    I read this article the other day and its great to see that vegan eating is way more than just weight loss. These are real people that experienced a lot of unexpected health benefits, no scientific analysis or studies in this article, just regular people and real results.

http://gentleworld.org/rewarded-for-being-vegan/

I've been eating vegan for a couple weeks now and have already experience less acne and more weight loss without exercise. I'm never starving, I don't feel groggy, and its just great to see the numbers go down on the scale without even trying. My bf has had asthma since birth (he's 25) and in these last couple weeks of veganism he's gone from an inhaler 2+ times a day to 1 time or less, hopefully it will disappear altogether as it has for others. Also, he has always had allergies around our friend's cats, but he visited them the other day and the cat was on his shoulders - no sneezing, no runny nose, no puffy eyes. This is the first time that has ever happened. We have a dog and he hasn't had to take 1 zyrtec since becoming vegan, when that used to be a regular occurence.

Any other vegans with weight loss or health benefits to share?
    :flowerforyou: Thanks for the link, always looking for new ways to get healthier. Also love browsing/trying out vegetarian recipes as it's a nice change as well. Meat for me anymore is something I'd like to really lighten up on.
  • now_or_never13
    Options
    Bump I really like try out vegan what is the first step should I try?

First step is to find out why you want to go vegan.

Second step is actuall researching it to see if its something you can do. There are a lot of things you can't eat, drink and products you can't use if you follow a vegan lifestyle. Jello is not vegan. Some clothing is not vegan. Cake is not vegan (unless its a special recipe to make it vegan). A lot of beauty products are not vegan. Do your research first. It takes a lot more work to get proper nutrients in on a vegan diet.
  • cheshirequeen
    cheshirequeen Posts: 1,324 Member
    Options
    now or never, well said in both posts. i am vegan for ethical reasons and never push it on others. i dont like people assuming how my life is lived due to being a vegan. i dont question others about their eating habits and values.
  • wassergottin
    wassergottin Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    Veganism is a pretty rough change to become accustomed to, if you actually enjoyed eating meat. I went from a very meat-loving diet to veganism and lasted eating vegan for seven years. I was never super unhealthy, though my sister who was vegan for three years was constantly jaundiced - she had to begin eating meat again because she just wasn't getting enough nutrients from the diet. I did not lose any weight whilst being vegan, but I did gain some briefly due to my over indulgence of the vegan treats available. It's easy to be unhealthy on any diet. I noticed my body feeling "lighter" whilst vegan, but my IBS, menstrual cramps, and acne did not ameliorate. Even eating very healthy, I wasn't able to maintain the endurance that I know have eating meat again. I actually found that strict Paleo works best for me, but it is very difficult to maintain. These days, I avoid bread, eat lots of veggies, fruits, meats, and some dairy. (I've never liked cheese.)

*I went vegan for animal treatment reasons, but left veganism for animal treatment reasons as well. I vote with my money and support small, local agriculture and endeavour to fund farms that raise endangered farm breeds. I have killed a chicken and eaten it before, as I felt that as an ex-vegan, I had to face the reality of my food. Everything I've posted here is personal anecdotes about the diet. I neither endorse nor abhor it.
  • tina711x
    Options
    complete proteins is definately not a myth! If you dont have complete proteins in your diet complete meaning they contain every essential amino acid - they are essential because your body can not create them on its own, it has to be through what you ingest through your diet ONLY! - you need them to survive and can become Extremely ill in time without them.. and if you cut out meats, there are proteins in another foods but none other than meat has all of the essential amino acids (proteins) that your body Needs to function properly. you could achieve this through complementary proteins by combining meatless foods that contain different amino acids in each of them to receive all of the amino acids, they are called completementary because one has some amino acids, and the other food has other amino acids, making it a complete protein. however, you would have to know exactly which proteins are in each food you eat to make sure you are getting all of them.. in everything you eat... vs eating on of the eggs you think are so discusting that has alllll of the essential amino acids, plus every vitamin and mineral except vitamin c. so if you ate eggs with an orange you would be set. foods with every essential amino acids - poultry, fish and shell fish, red meats, eggs = complete proteins
  • honeyandmilk
    honeyandmilk Posts: 160 Member
    Options

Girl, there are so many things wrong with government issued "food pyramids", "my plate" and health guides. But go ahead, keep listening to what the government tells you to do, because they're 100% right and not at all driven by things other than worrying about your health and well being.
  • tina711x
    Options
    thats wonderful that you recovered im so happy for you! i hope you are healthy and happy now. and you can choose to eat animals that are treated humanely - not abused or malnourished. my uncle had a farm, and he treated the animals very well, and when it was time for them to go, it wasnt sad because it was like they knew thats what their purpose was. There are certain animals you eat and certain animals you don't eat and you really see that on a farm with a wide variety of animals. Like people dont eat dogs, cats, horses because there pets - chicken and cows produce food; milk, eggs, meat. There is a big difference in an animal used for food and one that is not, people and animals know and identify it too, hope that helps a little and all the best in your recovery.
  • tina711x
    Options
    the food pyramid is from scientists and doctors hon, not from scary goverment agents in coats. they study the physiology of the body and what works best for every organ of your body to function properly. your heart, kidneys, liver, brain, etc. you would be surpised how much the endocrine system relies on food, too. food is very important for your body, its like natural medicine.. something you want to be careful with. if you miss too much of one thing you could become very sick or even die.. its a cascade of deficiencies because most foods rely on other foods for absorption and to function, digest, and go into your blood stream properly. thats what the food pyramid is there for so that people know how to eat and dont get sick from eating mc donalds every day, or the reverse only eating lettuce leaves for lunch and dinner. balance is key to health. the food pyrmid is balance - i think thats why its shaped like a pyramid.
This discussion has been closed.