General Comment About People Who Don't Lift

Options

Replies

• juliemouse83
    juliemouse83 Posts: 6,663 Member
    Options
    http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2011/07/21/meet-staci-your-new-powerlifting-super-hero/

Here is a story of a power lifter. She eats 3000-4000 calories and benches most than most guys. She doesn't look bulky IMO.

OMG.... ^^^THIS^^^ Totally effing THIS! She looked amazing in those pictures after she started lifting.

ETA: My mom has osteoporosis, and I'm not having that, so the fact that strength training/lifting helps bone density is simply icing on the cake. :tongue: And I'm not exactly a spring chicken, either, so it makes sense for me to pay attention to this.
  • smantha32
    smantha32 Posts: 6,990 Member
    Options
    It's more important for women. Osteoporosis is the big reason. If you are elderly and you fall and break a hip, you are probably done. Bones are cruel to women, and lifting is what saves us.

Also, then you can open your own jar of pickles. ;)

Also lifting will help prevent that weird "hump" old people get when their skeletal systems shift.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    Because, the pic on the right is hotter than the pic on the left...left is "skinny fat"...right is lean and "toned" as a result of lifting heavy.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQfX5U9M9BVcTynY5aFiRymW58erihOhboqv-glN3MsqaD-xMUQ

And of course, the numerous health benefits for both women and men.
  • beanerific518
    Options
    Oh no! I'm sooo bulky! Watch out! Crazy she-hulk ahead!
    428572_3518448639182_900761019_n_zps9c77cf77.jpg

Seriously, I love to lift. It makes me feel.....phenomenal, empowered, sexy, strong, healthy, lean, able, energized. Two years ago I felt,,,invisible, timid, undesirable, weak, sick, lumpy, unable, tired.
    13a6cd26-e4f8-471f-98d1-6de4ba936e9a.jpg

Lifting helped me physically and mentally for my transformation.
  • dngrwmn
    dngrwmn Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Strength training boosts metabolism (along with proper nutrition). Implementing strength training to you program will complement your weight loss efforts.
  • alexisu96
    alexisu96 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    It's more important for women. Osteoporosis is the big reason. If you are elderly and you fall and break a hip, you are probably done. Bones are cruel to women, and lifting is what saves us.

Also, then you can open your own jar of pickles. ;)

This!!^^^ I had read/ heard this so many time!! Especially as we get older. Especially core muscles. Stomach/ back. IMO alot of chirospractors would be out of biz if everyone reliously did crunches, planks , back. You dont have to heavy lift so muscles arenpopping out. Light dumbells will do it.
  • da_bears10089
    da_bears10089 Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options
    I wish I was stronger than I am, I could use some pointers/advice about how to get in to lifting for a complete beginner with no upper body strength at all. My legs are pretty strong but my arms :/

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

stronglifts 5x5 is a great place to start. start out with an empty bar to make sure you get your form down and then move on up from there.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    You dont have to heavy lift so muscles arenpopping out. Light dumbells will do it.

I keep seeing comments like this. This is nonsensical. Lifting heavy things doesn't make muscles pop out. It takes years of dedication and hardcore dieting to get big muscles with low body fat. If lifting heavy things made muscles pop out instantaneously I'd look like Arnold by now.

I don't.

Light weights are incredibly inefficient. Using light weights does not give you the benefits of heavy weights. It will take forever to see results, if you ever see any. You will not get the bone-strengthening. You will not build muscle mass.

There is absolutely nothing that using light weights does for you that heavy weights will not do for you ten times faster and better. You could spend hours and hours in the gym using light weight and never get half the benefits of 30 minutes in the squat rack.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    What most women perceive will happen to them if they lift heavy:

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRbBir_lxJB29_XroDSUrYVUiM6teR-mhDhpd-N-Ryo_HPz-t71dQ

Highly unlikely...most women simply do not have the genetics for this to happen. Also, this is a product of way more than just lifting heavy a few hours per week...this is extreme dedication to body building, including a very strict diet and most likely, a lot of supplements.

The following are much closer to the reality of lifting heavy for women:

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT27dDYCDqCe2gm97F4QB4HNE7Afxv6ui8gvCCQLBOH5wFBFlOY

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTd7NGUOV6nqHYZB7yTzaj7kc-ujsPX-n4upbQRUiyz3SRu0WKj

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSxoA1xlkwSDleZa_PY6Sk_8ilmDBv-96DgPFCqwoA0eQ1U5Rwf

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTKSsIGiJiTbMzMSROiEwxBwizLBjmSiNBAwwhwY4PHAljq277E

Just a few very sexy examples...
  • meg7399
    meg7399 Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    I just got New Rules of Lifting for Women....can't wait to learn how to lift and get strong!!!!
  • Midnight_Sunshine
    Midnight_Sunshine Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    Not that I'm in immediate danger of either, but I'd rather have a dancer's body than a lifter's body.

Aw it's cute you think dancers don't do strength training.
  • jonnythan
    Options

Highly unlikely...

Unlikely is an understatement. That woman is roided to high heaven, and even then it's taken years and years of serious dedication to get to that point.

The rest of your pictures are spot on. Here's my favorite:

dc6mfp.jpg

^^This is the kind of transformation you can get in just a few months by eating right and training with a barbell for 1 hour three times a week.
  • dahkneeka
    dahkneeka Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    I look/feel much better when I lift. Would rather have a 'hard' body then squishy parts.
  • Cindy311
    Cindy311 Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    There is nothing more beautiful than the way muscles look on males or females. It's such a shame that more women don't lift because the benefits are tremendous. You can totally lose weight and just be the smaller version of what you already are. Lifting really does change the body and I'm glad that I do it :smile:
  • Mia_RagazzaTosta
    Mia_RagazzaTosta Posts: 4,885 Member
    Options

Highly unlikely...

Unlikely is an understatement. That woman is roided to high heaven, and even then it's taken years and years of serious dedication to get to that point.

The rest of your pictures are spot on. Here's my favorite:

dc6mfp.jpg

^^This is the kind of transformation you can get in just a few months by eating right and training with a barbell for 1 hour three times a week.

Holy good lord baby Jesus...If I wasn't sold before I totally am now. (but I was kinda sold before)
  • jonnythan
    Options
    I don't remember that girl's exact details, but IIRC she's about 5'5 and went from about 150 lbs to 135 lbs. She only lost about 15 pounds over 3-4 months, but look at the difference in structure. She went from dumpy and squishy and a little chubby to lithe, firm, perky, and shapely. She certainly has some good genetics, but still.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Not that I'm in immediate danger of either, but I'd rather have a dancer's body than a lifter's body.

Aw it's cute you think dancers don't do strength training.

A dancer who lifts, will look different that someone that only lifts.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options

What is your image of a weight lifters body?

cea5785d52.jpg
    This is Kellie Epperheimer, a dancer who lifts

misty-copeland100.jpg
    This is Misty Copeland - can you tell if she is a dancer or a lifter?

It light of these pictures, it makes the above statement seem kind of foolish. As if there is some big difference. Kind of insulting to all the hard work and training dancers put in also.
  • jadedone
    jadedone Posts: 2,449 Member
    Options
    I think lifting "Heavy" is great. But my heavy is not your heavy.

I didn't know much about weight lifting, but the "compound movements" are very practical for real life. Things like deadlifts, squats, and overhead presses match up pretty well with real life activities like picking up a toddler, putting away your laundry detergent on the high shelf, and putting your suitcase in the overhead bin on the airplane.

I do think people can lift a lot heavier than they think as well. There are lots of people who start bicep curls with 3# weights and carry a 7# purse. ;)

In the end strength training is important. And mixing in body weight exercises with weight training can help you build the shape you want and the support lifestyle you want.

I know there is lots of talk about how women can't get big.....
    I don't believe this is 100% true, everyone has different genetic potential, and some people might gain size in areas they don't want to. But it takes a while to increase size, so if you see results you don't like, change things up. It takes lots of time and effort to gain significant size. Measure and take pics.
  • WithWhatsLeft
    WithWhatsLeft Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    I was talking to a friend a couple weeks back about my working out, and she told me she had never been in our gym's weight room nor really any weight room. She said it intimidated her a little.

She does mad cardio on the treadmill but just isn't seeing the results that she was hoping for, and said she knew she had no upper body strength.

So, we made a gym date and I waltzed her in there like we owned the place. I started her on the machines because she's THAT new to it, but we did some free weights too, and talked a lot about what happens to your body when you work muscles hard, that kind of thing. She was excited and asked questions about how soon she could work the same muscle group again, when she should return to the gym, etc.

I hope I converted her!