The decline of MFP

Options

Replies

• skinnyinnotime
    skinnyinnotime Posts: 4,141 Member
    Options
    Just ignore them!

I've had some stupid remarks made to me, who cares, I don't know these people or give 2 sh!ts if all they have to do in their lives is sit and think of some pathetic remark to make to strangers!!

ETA: damn, I forgot what I was going to add
  • besaro
    besaro Posts: 1,858 Member
    Options
    let it go.
  • ChefTJP
    ChefTJP Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    It is a shame - I love this site and the friends I have made. It made me realize that I am not alone and that its ok to ask for help and support when I don't have all the answers.

Lets keep up the positivity that makes it so special for most of us.
  • etoiles_argentees
    etoiles_argentees Posts: 2,827 Member
    Options
    I miss patient beartiger. :(
  • skinnyinnotime
    Options
    Nobody likes a whiner.

Or a winner....as they are still fat inside, apparently!
  • MireyGal76
    MireyGal76 Posts: 7,334 Member
    Options
    Nobody likes a whiner.

Or a winner....as they are still fat inside, apparently!

I still feel fat inside all the time.

Sucks, but my friends on MFP are helping me with that too... My FL has not "declined" whatsoever!
  • carryingon
    carryingon Posts: 609 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou:
  • taunto
    taunto Posts: 6,420 Member
    Options
    Dear Posters,

I know that there are voices in a community that are not heard by everyone, and because I hear the sentiment expressed in this topic on a regular basis from a great number of members who are too intimidated or afraid to post… I wanted to thank the OP for addressing this issue.

I encourage everyone who participates in our message boards to remember the purpose for our community is to provide people with a supportive, friendly, fun place to share a common desire to lead healthier lives.

I respectfully ask that our community keep in mind our first guideline, "do not attack, mock, or otherwise insult others. You can respectfully disagree with the message or topic, but you cannot attack the messenger." As well as our second guideline which requests that people please either contribute politely and constructively to a topic, or move on without posting. I also want to remind people to please not take matters into your own hands – instead, use the Report Post link to report an attack and we will be happy to handle the situation for you.

Last but not least, please also remember the ignore feature is a great way to ignore posts from members you don't want to see.

Thanks to all of our members, who every day, participate constructively in our community. There is a lot of wisdom and experience here and I hope also a lot of kindness, understanding, and support.

Respectfully,
    Olivia
    MyFitnessPal Community Manager
    I've been around here since 2011. I loved the information, support and the friends I've made. You'd have the occasional argument about HCG or "starvation" mode but it seem things have decline more than "opinions".

I recently came cross a post from someone looking for support. After so many pages they finally fessed up they just posted to get a rise out of people. But not before making some laughs at the expense of those that genuinely tried to help this person and the advice they have based on their own struggles.

It just appauls me. This site is FULL of people dealing with security issues and struggles and the thought that a few who already have achieved their goals and have six pack and bikini pics are now using others for pure sport. Many people here come here because they DON'T know what's what or have answers. Some people stay motivated by helping others and some want to use that for their own ego boost. Congrats. You've got the abs or you bought the bikini. Doesn't mean you're an attractive person.

I am not reporting this person however I don't think this is the ideal thread since

1) Its one side of the story
    2) SHE is the one that is mean...
  • Cr01502
    Cr01502 Posts: 3,614 Member
    Options
    ANNNND...I'm pretty sure that those are NOT pictures of the actual "mean" posters, in some cases. They just use them to make it seem like they should be listened to because, look, abs.

I do think there are a lot of people on here with very little to live for except trolling...but by far the majority are good people getting and giving help.

So, yeah, I think of the trolls the way I think of panhandlers or cat-callers. Slightly annoying, wish they weren't there, but really no major effect on my day.

I'm assuming this was directed at me since my photos are so gosh darn glorious and godlike,
  • Pixi_Rex
    Pixi_Rex Posts: 1,676 Member
    Options
    Oh another one of these.

The threads mocking other threads? Yeah I just stay out of those, if you don't read them they can't bother you.
  • symonspatrick
    symonspatrick Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    Even with the problems I have found this site to be very helpful. There are quite a few knowledgeable people who generously share with others what they have learned.
  • _DaniD_
    _DaniD_ Posts: 2,186 Member
    Options
    Dear Posters,

I know that there are voices in a community that are not heard by everyone, and because I hear the sentiment expressed in this topic on a regular basis from a great number of members who are too intimidated or afraid to post… I wanted to thank the OP for addressing this issue.

I encourage everyone who participates in our message boards to remember the purpose for our community is to provide people with a supportive, friendly, fun place to share a common desire to lead healthier lives.

I respectfully ask that our community keep in mind our first guideline, "do not attack, mock, or otherwise insult others. You can respectfully disagree with the message or topic, but you cannot attack the messenger." As well as our second guideline which requests that people please either contribute politely and constructively to a topic, or move on without posting. I also want to remind people to please not take matters into your own hands – instead, use the Report Post link to report an attack and we will be happy to handle the situation for you.

Last but not least, please also remember the ignore feature is a great way to ignore posts from members you don't want to see.

Thanks to all of our members, who every day, participate constructively in our community. There is a lot of wisdom and experience here and I hope also a lot of kindness, understanding, and support.

Respectfully,
    Olivia
    I've been around here since 2011. I loved the information, support and the friends I've made. You'd have the occasional argument about HCG or "starvation" mode but it seem things have decline more than "opinions".

I recently came cross a post from someone looking for support. After so many pages they finally fessed up they just posted to get a rise out of people. But not before making some laughs at the expense of those that genuinely tried to help this person and the advice they have based on their own struggles.

It just appauls me. This site is FULL of people dealing with security issues and struggles and the thought that a few who already have achieved their goals and have six pack and bikini pics are now using others for pure sport. Many people here come here because they DON'T know what's what or have answers. Some people stay motivated by helping others and some want to use that for their own ego boost. Congrats. You've got the abs or you bought the bikini. Doesn't mean you're an attractive person.

I am not reporting this person however I don't think this is the ideal thread since

^ Agreed.
  • lizlkbg
    lizlkbg Posts: 566
    Options
    Congrats. You've got the abs or you bought the bikini. Doesn't mean you're an attractive person.

QFT

What does QFT mean?
  • skinnyinnotime
    Options
    Even with the problems I have found this site to be very helpful. There are quite a few knowledgeable people who generously share with others what they have learned.

So true, I've learned so much on here
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    Congrats. You've got the abs or you bought the bikini. Doesn't mean you're an attractive person.

QFT

What does QFT mean?

Quoted for truth

ETA - guess I was wrong. LOL.
  • _Witsy_
    _Witsy_ Posts: 609 Member
    Options
    Dear Posters,

Respectfully,
    Olivia

Exactly. I find many times if I go through people's posts after they respond in threads like this, I find the exact same thing they claim they're against.

If you don't like someone, use the ignore function.

If you find something incredibly cruel or mean, report it.

If you just don't like that someone doesn't agree with you, get over it.

I also love the "bikinis and abs" comment because....a lot of the people I see being accused of being mean..yes that is their real photo and yes they once were fat. Also, they try to help people realize the best ways to get healthy and avoid fad diets and crash diets...but many times..people do not want to be told they're wrong or want to be coddled. It's a two way street. Never forget that.
  • _DaniD_
    _DaniD_ Posts: 2,186 Member
    Options

QFT

What does QFT mean?

Quit f*cking trolling
  • Drussander
    Drussander Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    Let's not confuse lax forum moderation with the decline of an otherwise excellent site. Aren't most of us here to use the tools to log calories and exercise? Don't get me wrong. Forums are a great feature, but every forum has it's issues. Overall I think the forum is well moderated where it counts. The "Chit Chat" site is another story, but caveat emptor.
  • _Timmeh_
    _Timmeh_ Posts: 2,096 Member
    Options
    Reading some of the responses now I see why so many topics get reported.
  • courtwhitear
    courtwhitear Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I rarely use the community section for that reason. I read the initial thread but I rarely bother to read the responses because there are a lot of rude and ignorant people out there. I also try to refrain from using this site as a dating site or a way to meet people...and I have seen others get involved in that. My "friends" are like minded people who all have similar goals...and if I feel that they aren't, then I just unfriend them. No harm, no foul. There are some people on this site who are thin and are trying to get thinner...some who have struggled with severe obesity. All ends of the spectrum. Try not to get caught up in all of the drama and the drama won't catch you is my motto!
This discussion has been closed.