The decline of MFP

Options

Replies

• SoViLicious
    SoViLicious Posts: 2,633 Member
    Options
    This site is awesome... I have truly learned so much from my loud mouth know-it-all friends. Most importantly I learned that this is a lifestyle and in life we must have humor, wine, sex, and plenty of bacon!
  • BrendaLee
    BrendaLee Posts: 4,463 Member
    Options
    MFP is still awesome. The boards have sucked for a long time. :)
  • witchy_wife
    witchy_wife Posts: 792 Member
    Options
    I don't post quite as much as I used to as I find some of the replies quite off and rude at times. Being able to say things where no one actually knows them and they can hide behind their computer has a tendancy to make for rude comments, and most of the time they wouldn't dare have the nerve to say these things in real life. Try and ignore it. Add friends who you seem to have a similar view to and who seem supportive and chat to them on your home page. That is what I do more of now than posting on the forums.
  • DexterDarko
    Options
    Everyone should know by now the internet is filled with people like that. They got nothing better to do, I guess. I honestly don't care, that's the great thing about losing the weight for yourself and not caring what anybody else thinks.
  • gfedex
    gfedex Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    The old-vs-new happens on every forum I've ever been a member of. Older members reminisce about how it used to be better, newer members try (often with limited success) to integrate. Some people gain an untouchable status- regardless of whether their behavior is appropriate or not- while others burn bridges early on with no hope for redemption.
  • lizlkbg
    lizlkbg Posts: 566
    Options
    Congrats. You've got the abs or you bought the bikini. Doesn't mean you're an attractive person.

QFT

What does QFT mean?

Quit f*cking trolling

Thanks! Now I don't have to ask my 15 year old :)
  • jenniferwren
    Options
    The funniest think about the people who bash over the internet wouldn't have any courage to say it to your face. Internet bullies can hide behind a computer get their satisfaction all they want, but really, it's a clear sign of weakness.

^this^ :smile:
  • __RANDY__
    __RANDY__ Posts: 1,036 Member
    Options
    Life isn't fair, people aren't always nice. When you are wrong you need to be told so.
  • BurtHuttz
    BurtHuttz Posts: 3,653 Member
    Options
    Is THIS divisive thread going to be permitted where so many others get shut down for no reason?

"HAPPY BIRTHDAY LEA!" gets locked but this unnecessary fight is actually encouraged to continue?

The moderator pokes her head in to endorse the message of "successful members versus those just starting out"?

Just shut the forums down, you people don't know the first thing about how to run a community.

Edited to add:
    By the way, here's what I spent my whole day doing:
    https://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/897611-juicing-cleanse-success-stories
    This place is a joke.
  • ajourney2beme
    ajourney2beme Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    Congrats. You've got the abs or you bought the bikini. Doesn't mean you're an attractive person.

QFT

What does QFT mean?

Quit f*cking trolling

LOL, seriously? I always thought it was quote for truth. Whoops.

It's letters, it could mean anything :D I know it as Quote for Truth as well, especially after quoting something (which is probably the case here) but I guess in the right context it could mean the trolling thing. I think sometimes in some forums it's used to quote someone so that the OP can't change what they posted in case of a big debate or something. Possibly Quite Frankly Told could be another way to use it.

I am not bothered by the 'bullies' or 'mean people' on this site. If I write something and I get people who don't contribute constructively I usually just ignore them. I have the choice of going into a thread or not, no one is forcing me to post on something. If I feel strongly about it then I will post but will also prepare if things start getting heated. Most of the time it isn't even worth my time to get involved tbh cause all that would accomplish is breeding more debate and hate. If someone posts something but the thread is out of control and I feel like I could actually contribute to the OP I will send them a message.

I don't think it's fair for anyone to bring up a controversial topic like this trying to 'help' but then you go ahead and attack others about how they are ugly on the inside even if they look good on the outside. You don't know a person by a picture, and you certainly can't know a person from random encounters on a forum. You can't be trying to help the problem by adding to it at the same time. It's kind of like being a person who is all about loving yourself at any size yet turns around putting down skinnier people. It's not helpful and you are just fooling yourself.
  • michellelemorgan
    michellelemorgan Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    I understand. I posted a topic once asking about nosebleeds and fainting, an issue I was dealing with, wondering if anyone else has ever had that problem. I mentioned I wasn't insured and then later that week my husband took me to the emergency room when I fainted after a saturday run. I posted an update saying I saw a doctor and had blood tests and a CT scan done and people... adults... followed it up with accusations that I was lying about having gone to the doctor etc... etc.... I didn't mention that I went to the emergency room... I did just say "doctor", but you'd think with an uninsured person.. emergency room might be implied. Either way... I definitely don't post topics anymore. :)
  • taunto
    taunto Posts: 6,420 Member
    Options
    Is THIS divisive thread going to be permitted where so many others get shut down for no reason?

"HAPPY BIRTHDAY LEA!" gets locked but this unnecessary fight is actually encouraged to continue?

The moderator pokes her head in to endorse the message of "successful members versus those just starting out"?

Just shut the forums down, you people don't know the first thing about how to run a community.

Edited to add:
    By the way, here's what I spent my whole day doing:
    https://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/897611-juicing-cleanse-success-stories?page=3#posts-13578197
    This place is a joke.

As much as I have conflicts with the mods, this post of yours proved that you don't know the first thing about running a huge community like this and so likely are not the ideal person to tell others if they do or don't know the first thing about how to run a community
  • michwinger
    michwinger Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    The only reason I read your post was the title. The forum sites are becoming drama filled, harsh, know-it-all, cruel, Facebook-ish, maybe I should stop because now I am becoming what I despise. However, my friends here on MFP are the best!

Nice observation as I generally stay off the forums most of the time.

This!!! I rarely ever get on the forums...for this very reason!
  • Cr01502
    Cr01502 Posts: 3,614 Member
    Options
    You're right OP.

I guess it's a combination of things. I grew up in a tough neighborhood. My mom didn't love me and I was picked on alot in elementary school.

I've floated though this world alone and lonely like bush weed tumbling through the breeze.

I'm 29 years old. I live with my mom. I've got a dead end job and the only REAL satisfaction I get is coming onto MFP forums and giving people a hard time.

My life is empty

:sad:
  • BurtHuttz
    BurtHuttz Posts: 3,653 Member
    Options
    As much as I have conflicts with the mods, this post of yours proved that you don't know the first thing about running a huge community like this and so likely are not the ideal person to tell others if they do or don't know the first thing about how to run a community

Great feedback, dude, reported for hurting my feelings.

So you think that the key to great moderation is arbitrary enforcement of poorly defined subjective rules at the whim of someone who clearly has an axe to grind with the community in the first place? How 'bout you enlighten me.
  • MireyGal76
    MireyGal76 Posts: 7,334 Member
    Options
    This site is awesome... I have truly learned so much from my loud mouth know-it-all friends. Most importantly I learned that this is a lifestyle and in life we must have humor, wine, sex, and plenty of bacon!

plenty of bacon

sex is optional...
  • penrbrown
    penrbrown Posts: 2,685 Member
    Options
    You're right OP.

I guess it's a combination of things. I grew up in a tough neighborhood. My mom didn't love me and I was picked on alot in elementary school.

I've floated though this world alone and lonely like bush weed tumbling through the breeze.

I'm 29 years old. I live with my mom. I've got a dead end job and the only REAL satisfaction I get is coming onto MFP forums and giving people a hard time.

My life is empty

:sad:

*pat pat* It's a good thing you're so cute or you'd have nothing going for you.
  • xelalarenee
    Options

Mmmmmm...bacon...
  • taunto
    taunto Posts: 6,420 Member
    Options

Great feedback, dude, reported for hurting my feelings.

So you think that the key to great moderation is arbitrary enforcement of poorly defined subjective rules at the whim of someone who clearly has an axe to grind with the community in the first place? How 'bout you enlighten me.

Better than explaining to you, I invite you to run a community as big as this with limited manpower. I have ran a much smaller community and I know the headaches that go with it.

And if you need more enlightenment heres something for you

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/793812-i-know-you-need-some-so-come-and-get-some
  • KittieLea
    KittieLea Posts: 1,156 Member
    Options
    Is someone serving us bacon?
This discussion has been closed.