The "ugly" friend...

Options

Replies

• mleech77
    mleech77 Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    Every group has a Karen and she is always a bag of douche.

Whether Karen is ugly is a different story.
    Hey what's up Karen? Kaaaaren, what's up Karen?

Love it!
  • IpuffyheartHeelsinthegym
    Options
    I never thought about it until my ex-husband said my two best friends were way hotter than I was. Then I was super paranoid, but came to the conclusion that my friends were true friends. Ex-husband, as shown by the 'ex' was the 'ugly' person in that equation!

I'm glad he's an EX if he's going to tell you that your friends are hotter. *kitten*! (him)
  • Micahroni84
    Micahroni84 Posts: 452 Member
    Options
    If it is a real thing I don't think it's that common. I have heard of people doing it but haven't ever met anyone who has said she likes having an ugly friend for that reason. But it doesn't surprise me that there are women shallow or insecure enough to purposely befriend some one they think s less attractive than they are for the purpose getting more attention when going out.
  • doughnutwretch
    doughnutwretch Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    My friends are amazing people - smart, funny, active, adventurous, sarcastic. Its these qualities that made them my friends. That being said, they're all very attractive, the men and women.

A person should never keep someone around because they feel like they look better next to that person. At the same token, a person should never put up with being treated like that.
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    All of my friends are guys.... Literally. All of them. So I don't do this. I can't stand hanging out with girls... they annoy me.

This is NOT, repeat NOT a personal attack but a general pet peeve of mine when I see/hear women say this. I USE to say this a lot when I was younger and felt threatened or insecure around other females. I got over my issues and now I can't imagine now having my girl friends. There are few that I'm really close with but their friendships bring so much more to the table than my friendships with my guy friends.

I don't feel threatened or insecure around other females. I just can't relate to them as well as I can with guys. The stuff most girls talk about, I just don't like. I know that yes, there probably is a girl out there like me who hates shopping, talking about hair and stuff, likes video games and obscure asian horror movies... but for now, guys do that. So it's not an "insecure" thing at all, for me at least.

Also, about 7/10 of my friends are gay males. So I even get the only real girl talk I like with them... about other hot guys. Ha.

Some women like shopping, makeup, video games AND obscure asian horror flicks. It's not either/or, and it's really not helping you out any to rule out an entire sex of humans just because you don't think they're as unique and different as you.

I'm not sure what from my post made you think that I'm ruling out an entire sex - it just so happens that so far in my life all my friends are males. I don't see a girl and go "oh hell no gtfo". Just the people that I've gotten along with best and want to spend my time with happen to be guys.

So, when you said "I can't stand hanging out with girls - they annoy me." that wasn't ruling out the entire sex. *LOL*

24947534.jpg
  • Silver_Star
    Silver_Star Posts: 1,351 Member
    Options
    I have a friend who is 5ft 10, slim, gorgeous...and gets looks and chatted up everywhere we go...I on the other hand, am the overweight, short "Mexican girl" ...( I am from INDIA !:noway: ) who is ignored every time. I dont know why we're friends...she is a single mom and keeps picking all the horribly wrong men who treat her like a piece of meat..and she comes crying to me after each relationship ends...runs after the first man who winks at her next.

And each time i happen to be with her...when the next man winks at her...I think she knows i wont be getting any attention...so that's why she picks me to go out with...

fml.
  • don666car
    don666car Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS A UNGLY WOMEN THERE ALL BEAUTIFULL IN THERE OWN WAY YOU JUST HAVE TO SEE IT AND THEN EVERYTHING ELSE DONT MATTER
  • originalkazila
    Options
    If it is really a thing, I believe I'm the ugly friend... or, should I say, the "fat" friend.

I am also the fat friend.

My sisters!
  • perfectionisntme
    perfectionisntme Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    I was the "fat" friend, the "ugly" friend, but I dropped the weight and everyone ditched me, so they must think I'm a threat.
  • sillygoosie
    sillygoosie Posts: 1,109 Member
    Options
    I've known most of my friends since we were in 7th grade. We're all hot, sexy biatches (at least in my eyes). They are also all married so I don't think this applies. I think I've passed the age where anyone would do this. Well, I certainly hope so.

For the record, MissK is my AWESOME friend, not my fat or ugly friend. She's a babe.
  • mariapuhl
    mariapuhl Posts: 529 Member
    Options

So, when you said "I can't stand hanging out with girls - they annoy me." that wasn't ruling out the entire sex. *LOL*

Lmao - good point out. I didn't mean it in the way that I just exclude them as possible friends. Just the ones that I know. They annoy me. So... they aren't my friends.

I'm just crazy. Let's just leave it at that lol.
  • Celeigh12
    Celeigh12 Posts: 763 Member
    Options
    I don't think it's conscious if someone does it. We pick friends who make us feel good to be around. For most people that's people you enjoy being with, talking with, sharing experiences with. For people who base a lot of their self worth on their appearance that may also include being around someone less attractive as that makes them feel good. Doesn't make it less sad, but I can see how it happens.
  • micabrito2012
    micabrito2012 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I'm the ugly friend! But I don't give a Flying F*$#, I'm ugly and I know it!!!! oh Yea I work out!
  • BrettPGH
    BrettPGH Posts: 4,720 Member
    Options
    I once dated a girl who legitimately practiced this. She said she had an "ugly friend" she'd take out with her so she would look better.

All I could think was, given the attractiveness of said girl I was dating, that other girl had to be reeeeeeal ugly!

she TOLD you this? How long did you date her?

Less than two months. She was very annoying.
  • smantha32
    smantha32 Posts: 6,990 Member
    Options
    I have never and will never consider the attractiveness of my friends as a factor in deciding who to associate with.

Me either.
  • Rosplosion
    Rosplosion Posts: 739 Member
    Options
    I've been the ugly/fat friend. I know this happens. You know when you never get invited to parties of your "best friends" or taken to the keggers. You know when your friends tease you all the time about stupid BS just to make you feel bad. You know when you get ditched at the drop of a hat. That hurts.

I've also been accused of only having friends who need "help" so I can feel superior.

This was all a long time ago. Now I have the many of the SAME friends but we're all a little more secure with ourselves and love one another very much. I am CERTAINLY not the ulgy one, and although I am clearly the fattest of my friends, that does not come into play in our friendships.
  • crazytreelady
    crazytreelady Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    I think it is a stupid thing for anyone to do....

I am friends with some one because I like them, they make me laugh, I make them laugh... Ect...

First and foremost, I want my friends to find happiness and feel good about themselves..... I would never call or bring a friend along somewhere to make myself feel better. The goal is, to make them feel good, because if they feel good and I feel good, then that's all that really matters.....

I realize the logic above is oddly worded..... It is odd, because I can't even fathom having an "ugly friend" to make me feel good about myself.
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,472 Member
    Options
    i have lots,, it is what is inside that counts,
  • jbutterflye
    jbutterflye Posts: 1,914 Member
    Options
    I knew someone like this. Sister of an ex-boyfriend was very pretty, & had a friend who was very unattractive by society's standards of physical beauty. They made an odd looking pair, and went out together often. The "ugly" friend didn't seem to mind. I didn't ask.
  • EmRN06
    EmRN06 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I think that is terrible and I hope people don't really keep around "ugly" friends just to make themselves feel better, but as evidenced by these posts I guess some people do.

My friends are all beautiful people inside and out, but that is not the reason I hang out with them. I have been best friends with most of these girls since highschool and they are like sisters to me. I have considered myself the ugly friend, or ugly duckling of the group, but of course I have kept that thought to myself, and I know my friends would never think that either.

You are all beautiful!