WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR FEBRUARY 2013

Options

Replies

• nanasorchid52
    Options
    Good evening all!

Only a quick scan of posts today! Still having fun at DD No2, but know counting down the number of sleeps left. Cold here -1 but no thick snow like many of you - take care!

Welcome to all new members!

Hope all of you not in good health at the moment are feeling better!

Interesting to hear all your talk about London, as I was born there - although I have lived in Wales all of my married life. I still enjoy returning home though. I too enjoy the museums - my favourites are the British Museum, Science Museum & the V & A. Also love the Tate Art. Like the shops @ Coventry Garden.

That's all for now

Keep smiling

Jo
  • skuehn48
    skuehn48 Posts: 2,847 Member
    Options
    Renny: I am with you on the retirement thing. I have about one year to go. When my manager asked me to fill out a self-appraisal for my yearly review I filled in the question about long term goals with "RETIRE". She was amused but I still had to set goals for this next year. Oh well! Sue in SD
  • Farasgranddaughter
    Options
    Hello...this is my first time posting and I hope I'm doing it right. LOL!
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Bump to save my place for later.

Katla in NW Oregon
  • ohiomomof2
    ohiomomof2 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Just had time to skim through today's posts but not enough to respond. I hope all who are struggling (with illness, work issues or motivation) will feel better or get resolution soon.
  • lynda3y9
    lynda3y9 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I'll join the newbies too....this is my first post as well. this sounds like it may be a good group for me. I am 53 and been overweight for years... slowly creeping up and not doing too much going down on the scale. Hoping to 'get involved' to help me be more motivated to stick with it... seems i plug along and it is SOOOO much work to lose 1 pound that comes back with one bad day... i know that is a generalization but it really seems to be how it is.
    a couple of my friends and i have recently hired a trainer and it is week 3 with very little weight loss (if any after last night :-). I have started incorporating more movement in my day but that seems to be one of my biggest challenges.... i sit all day and then go home and sit.....and i love chocolate. So we are walking twice a week and i am looking into some local classes. But it is hard to take that time for myself.... gets me home late, dinner is late so eating later, less time with my man etc.
    food tracking is quite informative although jsut really helps avoid the denial of what i am putting in my mouth. I know what is good and not good but turn a cheek (a rather large cellulite one :-)) as i shove it in regardless....like a very good week and then 3 pieces of pizza last night!
  • lynda3y9
    Options
    and i don't know how to 'bump' to follow? i dont' see 'bump' anywhere?
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,948 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: :bigsmile: I am enjoying my weekend at home alone and Jake is enjoying his weekend in Tacoma with his friends and opportunities to eat restaurant food.

:flowerforyou: DeeDee, my friend that I talked to last night lost her husband two and a half years ago.....she is like you that she keeps busy and has built a life by herself but she misses him all the time---he was a fabulous man---when he died, I decided not to fly down to be with her but instead called her every night at bedtime so she could talk to me about her day since she didn't have him to talk to....we did that for a few months and then it turned into our weekly Thursday "phone date".

:flowerforyou: LindaC. I love that you and your hubby are still happy and teasing each other after 42 years.

:flowerforyou: Tammy, I remember those days of limited phone time......Jake and I courted long distance by phone and it cost us a fortune in 1989.......I don't talk much on the phone except to my 89 year old cousin who has limited sight and loves to talk on the phone and my friend in California who hates e mail and doesn't text.

:flowerforyou: Laura, Jake likes to make frozen Kashi pizza with lots of extra vegetables as a treat for me.......I'd rather have something else but I always appreciate his thoughtfulness at wanting to save me the work of preparing a meal.

:flowerforyou: Cheryl, thanks for sharing your quick gratitude list....I'd forgotten how grateful we were when we didn't have to pay child support any more.

:flowerforyou: M, I remember when my mom called 911 with what turned out to be heartburn

:flowerforyou: udy, "Discipline is remembering what you want".........I love that quote....your Cosmosize sounds exhausting and worthwhile

:flowerforyou: Jodios, it would be a real challenge for me to accept a request to go to a burger place.......I don't think they have anything on the menu that I eat anymore (except maybe sliced tomatoes:laugh: )...good luck

:flowerforyou: Robin, I know it feels dark in the tunnel, but one step at a time, one day at a time, you'll get to the end

:flowerforyou: Meg, you seem to keep a nice balance between your work and your family.

:flowerforyou: Jane, I hate doing fasting labs......i hope you don't have to do them often.

:bigsmile: Sue, thanks for the caution.

:flowerforyou: If you are new to this thread, you'll be able to find us again by clicking on "Community" then on "My Topics"..........it helps me to not post on a lot of threads........then this one stays near the top even if I don't post every day......and it keeps me from be fragmented by responding in too many places to too many people.

:heart: Barbie from NW Washington
  • suebdew
    suebdew Posts: 1,330 Member
    Options
    Lyndafour - drink, drink, drink (water that is) to get rid of the sodium. In the morning, open your brand new diary for Saturday and start fresh. You can do this. Weight loss journey is not a straight line. There will be curves and bumps but learn to get back up, dust yourself off and start a new day with a renewed sense of purpose. Nothing succeeds like success. YOU CAN DO THIS!
  • brookehe
    brookehe Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    and i don't know how to 'bump' to follow? i dont' see 'bump' anywhere?

Lyndafour, if you post anything you'll find it (as stated above) in Community/My Topics, if you don't have time to post anything but want to "save your place" people simply type "bump" so that becomes their short post/bookmark. Just a shortcut to come back when you have time to read/post.

Hope that helps, and welcome!

Brooke from Colorado
  • jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options
    We went to Dennys tonight for suppper. Unfortunately my husband wants to eat out to much. But I love Dennys web site so I am always able to plan my meal before I get there. I had planned on eating the senior fit faire grilled chicken. When it came out to the table it was almost burned on one side. It looked like ti had been on the grill to long on that side. So I sent it back. The waitress came back really soon, maybe to soon, with a replacement. It looked OK on top but when I turned it over it was the same one as before. So I just tore off the dark part and ate it. I did tell the waitress and told her to show it to the cook and manager. We have eaten there enough to know it was a remote experience. We had a $5 coupon if we spent $20. Our bill was only $17 something. So hubbie wanted to order a desert and we could split it. The one he picked was 780 calories! Splitting was out of the question. I really didn't want a desert anyway. So I am still stuffed and I didn't eat the desert.
  • JipsyJudy
    JipsyJudy Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    bump
  • BridgeKiki
    Options
    Hello to everyone. Just read your site and I love it. I have been a member now for 1-week. I am really excited to be part of this growing site.
    Thanks for all of your post.
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,364 Member
    Options
    jodios - stay safe

Judy - thanks for the info about the TRX. I wasn't so much that I DIDN'T want to do the search, more that I try to limit the time on the computer (how much is used) since we get a certain amount of time with the JetPack (the old MiFi)

Robin - say it isn't so!!!! Feel better

Last night Vince asked me to go to Walgreens and get him a cough med with an expectorant. Do you know that almost every one had a suppressant AND and an expectorant. But I was able to find one that contained just the expectorant. It was even Walgreen brand!

Jo - sounds like you had a wonderful day. Did the children join in on the swings and everything else?

Meg - congrats on the fabulous loss. The weather here in FL is beautiful. Thank goodness I leave a pair of black and a pair of jean shorts down here. I had to pull out those black shorts today.

Colleen - I open up wordpad, type my response, and then minimize it and read more. then, I just copy and paste it

brooke from CO - not only is shoveling snow good exercise but think of the calories you burn just keeping your body warm. Hey, I look for the positives werever I can. That's how I used to rationalize the good snow does when we lived in PA.

LuAnn - welcome

Did 30 min of yoga, then 45 min of step, then left from the gym to go see my friend. I took some cottage cheese since I'm hungry after exercising so I ate that while I changed. Got to her place about 12. We went to lunch at Duffy's. They had this grilled mahi mahi taco appetizer. Most places the appetizers are all fried so I got those. They were good. I didn't have any of the sauce. When I went to log it in here, I at first was very surprised at how high the calories were, but then it dawned on me that that probably included the sauce which I didn't have. I asked for it on the side, honestly, it wasn't all that good. But the tacos were. They were just the taco shell, strip of mahi mahi, bit of lettuce and bit of salsa. Just had water to drink. You know, it seems that when I'm down here I want to drink more. Mel wanted to give me some chocolates for the ride home, but I refused. Really, just the three small tacos were enough for me. She wanted me to order more, but I was really full. Probably because I wasn't real active. Got home around 6, put a load of laundry in since Vince told me last night that I needed to do some. Made fish for dinner, he's watching the truck race right now. We need to go to WalMart. The laundry detergent bottle leaked once before so we put it in a plastic bag. Well, it leaked again, but I did have enough for that one load of laundry. I'll need more before we leave, I'll need to wash the darks and the sheets.

Speaking of last night: Vince got up and was sitting on the couch. So I went to ask him what's the matter. I honestly thought that maybe he was just hot in the bed so he went into the living room. But no. His asthma started to act up & he couldn't breathe. He doesn't have asthma attacks very often so he didn't think to bring his inhaler with him. So...we went to the hospital where they gave him a nebulizer treatment, tested his blood and took an x-ray. $200 later we were on our way home but he did have a prescription for albuterol. I suggested he just leave the inhaler down here.

Tomorrow is the Nationwide, so we'll be driving up to Daytona early. As usual, I'll watch a few laps and then go shopping.

Oh, while I was visiting my friend, Vince went to a train store in Port Orange (near Daytona). He needs to get 2 new tires, so even tho we have to go up tomorrow and then Sun, we'll have to go up again on Mon. Well, that's OK, I usually have to rush thru the stores on Sat. since only Penney's is open on Sun, now I can take my time in the stores Sat. since the ones I don't hit on Sat I can hit on Mon.

DeeDee - how horrible about your calf! Lady, take care of yourself, ya hear? You gotta get better so that we can get together (I haven't forgotten and if you don't get better fast, the weather will be nice by the time we can get together and you just may be put to work on the landscaping <gonna scare the sickness out of you>)

Lin - glad you take the Vit F more than the metformin. Vit F is very powerful. I'm like you, I will take a pill only if I absolutely must take it. As a matter of fact, when I had the pulled achilles, the MD told me he could prescribe a pill or give me a cream. I opted for the cream. Vince is like your hubby, pills for this, pills for that. His parents were the same way, when my father passed away he was taking only 6 different meds. His mother was taking more than 10.

Not sure what I'll have tomorrow, but we do usually go to Picadilly Cafeteria after the race. I do have some tomatos, snap peas, asparagus, peas, walnuts, raisins, jerky a pear, coleslaw, and celery that I'm taking with me. I'll probably take a water bottle just in case I want something to drink before we go to dinner.

tammy in VA - my kids are amazed at rotary dial phones, and a party line would probably just kill them. when they were little, they'd probably listen in on the conversation....lol I know I used to.

bjmcq - sounds like a wonderful vacation!

Cheryl - I like your determination. That's a great reason to give away our too-big clothes -- not wanting to get them back

M - have a great time in Atlantic City

Judy - I'm on pinterest, but to tell you the truth, I don't know how to use it!!!!! I love to find out.

lua - welcome, come in often

jodios - love your positive attitude. Have a great time with dd

Sue in TX - no, I really didn't look at the denny's menu before I went. I didn't want a big meal so I go the senior meal (stop laughing!), I just got the veggies because that's what I craved.

farasgrandau - welcome, you posted just perfectly. Do it again and tell us more about yourself.

lyndafour - welcome. Isn't it amazing how long it takes to lose weight and how you can put it on in no time at all. I know that happens to me. Popping in here you'll get lots of motivation. Oh, BTW, and I just found this out, "bump" is an acronym for "bring up my post", just means that this thread will be in your list of "my topics"

jmkmomm - I like Denny's too. We had those coupons, too. Vince had an ice cream for dessert, I just had hot tea.

Bridgekiki - welcome.

Well, want to post this before it gets too long. Hope everyone has a great evening. Will watch the truck race on TV then go to WalMart.

Michele from NC
  • RebelRenny
    RebelRenny Posts: 1,073 Member
    Options
    :ohwell: I could try to explain, but I won't do a good job. It seems that my trip to the eye doctor today uncovered the fact that I was looking through an imperfect looking glass: i.e. wrong prescription; the fault of both the doctor and Costco. The only reason why I coped was because I have opposite eyes, one far-sighted and one near-sighted. Which means the one made up for the other, and I got so used to it that it was never a big deal for the last 2 years!!! HOWEVER, I may get a pair of new prescriptions out of it without too much money. Not sure yet how to take advantage of that yet. Costco is pretty good at customer service and the Doc feels she owes me something too. Any ideas?

:drinker: Here is the new 1-day challenge (but can be done any day) : http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/902340-veggie-fruit-1-day-challenge-saturday-feb-23-2013

Renny
    Vancouver Island, BC - where it is poor weather with rain and gusty winds
  • determinedinAZ
    determinedinAZ Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    :ohwell: Grandchild birthday party tomorrow at Amazing Jake's in Mesa AZ. I hear it's a great place for kids and adults. :flowerforyou:
    The food buffet seems to have salad options, soup options and pizza options. I'm planning on the salad option.:bigsmile:

Have a good weekend everyone. :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: Drink the water please.
  • deannaharris2
    Options
    wow that is great I seem to lose 4pounds and then nothing been doing this for yrs....I weigh 174 then 168 then 174 then 168 but cannot get lower trying to do lower carb this week lower sugar did good all week gained 2 pounds but I feel inches are gone
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,948 Member
    Options
    wow that is great I seem to lose 4pounds and then nothing been doing this for yrs....I weigh 174 then 168 then 174 then 168 but cannot get lower trying to do lower carb this week lower sugar did good all week gained 2 pounds but I feel inches are gone

:bigsmile: welcome, you've come to the right place for support and encouragement.....tell us more about your eating and exercise or open your food and exercise diary and I'm sure you'll get lots of good suggestions about how to keep the weight loss going.

:heart: Barbie from NW Washington where it is way past my bedtime :yawn: :yawn: :yawn: :yawn: :yawn:
  • lynda3y9
    Options
    thank you :-)
  • lynda3y9
    Options
    Thank you Sue...i don't eat too much salt generally speaking but will definitely load up on the water. have been increasing each week...which also helps gets me out of my chair at work on a regular basis.