Calling all HAPPILY married people for 20+ years...

Options

Replies

• MST13
    MST13 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    We have only been married for 1 1/2 years, but he truly is my best friend! I am so inspired by all of these wonderful posts, and I cannot wait for many more years to come with my best friend and teammate in life. :)
  • TinaBaily
    TinaBaily Posts: 792 Member
    Options
    After what I call my "practice marriage" to the wrong guy, I married the love of my life (and he feels the same about me) 24 years ago last November. We have 4 children together and he adopted my son from my first marriage. We've been through difficulties, but who hasn't, right? However, those have only made our bond stronger. Communication is vital to keeping a happy marriage, we've learned!
  • GlassslippersAndFairyDust
    Options
    We've been together for almost 26 years and been married for almost 22. He's truly my best friend and he's awesome!
  • BurtHuttz
    BurtHuttz Posts: 3,653 Member
    Options
    I've only been married for five years but, I have a GREAT 20 year old girlfriend on the side.

I'm kidding. This is a wonderful thread and I look forward to the next fifteen years with my wife to get us to twenty, and I hope we can have fifty years together after that. :drinker:
  • marlenefowler
    marlenefowler Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    33 years and counting. Yes I had to do the math! Lots of good comments here. My hubby is my best friend. Like many others we are easily entertained. We can play cards with friends. We don't have the need to 'go out' and spend lots of money to have fun. We know how to agree to disagree. I don't have to be 'right' (but that doesn't mean I'm wrong!). It's ok if I'm wrong though. We have 2 wonderful kids and a grandchild we adore. He has always been supportive of me. I don't mind the times when he works out of town and is gone for a few days at a time but I can't imagine the day when I might have to be without him permanently, but that will (hopefully) be many years away.
  • BigDnSW
    BigDnSW Posts: 641 Member
    Options
    August 4, 1979 at 7:00pm. I was cool, calm and in control...until I saw her walking down the isle...nearly fainted from WOW! Still do.
  • KatieLou1022
    KatieLou1022 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    to KatyLou1022

It's sad to lose a partner but you had 43 good (I hope) years. Memories are a wonderful thing! I dread losing mine! We are 44 years in April. J x

Thank you for your thoughts. Forty-three years was just not long enough. I wanted 83 ... or more. But he is with me everyday in spirit and I know he is proud to see me carry on as I have.
  • VickiDiane22
    VickiDiane22 Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    We will celebrate 44 years April 4. He's my best friend and my supporter on this yet another try at weight lose
  • dakotababy
    dakotababy Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much for posting this.

I am not married, though I have been living with my boyfriend for the last 3 years. I have debated getting married, because I do struggle to see a point when most of them end up in divorce. I have done so much research on why people "switch" once they get married, and why marriages end in divorce.

You are right - we hear a lot about the marriages that end, and not enough awareness into the ones that last. I am 23, debating marriage. This has restored my feelings on a lasting marriage. :) so thank you. You will ALL be invited to the wedding! (whenever that will be!)
  • tycamsdad
    tycamsdad Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    It will be 23 incredible years for us in April. One of our milestones is scheduled around our anniversary and we are planning a trip to Ruth's Chris, a night at the theater and perhaps a stay in the nicest hotel in town. We are doing MFP together and we have made great progress but know that the best is yet to come.
  • SAGR2
    SAGR2 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much for posting this.

I am not married, though I have been living with my boyfriend for the last 3 years. I have debated getting married, because I do struggle to see a point when most of them end up in divorce. I have done so much research on why people "switch" once they get married, and why marriages end in divorce.

You are right - we hear a lot about the marriages that end, and not enough awareness into the ones that last. I am 23, debating marriage. This has restored my feelings on a lasting marriage. :) so thank you. You will ALL be invited to the wedding! (whenever that will be!)

So, I had to post to get my invite as well! 39 years married this year. We have both been sorting out our eating and have both lost almost two stone since last Autumn. It has been really good doing it together.
  • trud72
    trud72 Posts: 1,912 Member
    Options
    :bigsmile: 22 year this yr and engaged 4 yrs before that!
    glad to see i'm not the only one out there! :smile:
  • dorothytd
    dorothytd Posts: 1,138 Member
    Options
    Such a great topic! 19 years for us in May. Never stop dating, never stop finding things to appreciate. We sure aren't perfect, but the harder we work, the better it is. Because it IS work. Very, very rewarding work! :smile:
  • jbutterflye
    jbutterflye Posts: 1,914 Member
    Options
    We just celebrated our 14 year anniversary on Valentine's Day. He's my best friend and we are very very close. It's been the best of times and the worst of times, at times. lol! We love each other deeply. :smile:
  • KenosFeoh
    KenosFeoh Posts: 1,837 Member
    Options
    36 years come June 19. Happily married most of the time now, but we've struggled through a few long unhappily periods, too.
  • mwbulechek
    mwbulechek Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    22 years in April here!
  • wildehare
    wildehare Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    20 years together and still going strong!
  • srm1960
    srm1960 Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    :heart:
    Great post-
    together since 1979, 34 yrs-married for 27 yrs this May-Mazel Tov to everyone!!!!-Even through all the snoring!!!! & all the rest of the bodily noises-:sad:
  • jonnyman41
    jonnyman41 Posts: 1,032 Member
    Options
    been together for 25 years, lived together for 23 of those years though only been married for about 13 of those years. There are times when we wind each other up, get on the other ones nerves or are just downright bad tempered (usually for a reason) but for the rest of the time we really do fit with each other and know each other inside out. I am not sure that the perfect relationship exists and I think that people are ignoring something if couples always agree and never fall out, but good enough most of the time is what works for me. (Even on the odd days that things are not quite as good, they are not that bad either and soon get sorted)
  • stclairm
    stclairm Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    We will celebrate our 47th anniversary in about three weeks by going to a three day out of town Scottish Music Festival. I'm married to an absolutely fantastic woman. We've been through tough times and easy times, but they've all been special.