Why do so many people think meat is essential? (NOT DEBATE)

Options

Replies

• mandster
    mandster Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Hi all

I've been a very healthy vegetarian for 23 years. I don't think you need meat but you do need to become knowledgable about nutrition and make sure that you eat a healthy diet. Of course everyone should do this but if you are going to remove any group of foods from your diet it's even more important.

I used to get a lock of flack about it years ago but not so bad now. There is someone in my family (not my side!) who is quite astonishly rude about it and in that case I bite my tongue for the sake of a peaceful family. My own family found it hard when I was young (I didnt want to eat meat from a fairly early age) and I was force fed every now and then up to the age of 15! Now they understand and have saw over the years that I've always been healthy.
  • Bronx_Montgomery
    Bronx_Montgomery Posts: 2,287 Member
    Options
    It depends on the person. I believe meat is an essential part of a good diet but thats for me. It differs from person to person. I require a lot of protein and I could not see myself getting the amount of protein I need from just being a vegetarian. Everyone's views are different. There are pros and cons to both sides of Meat eaters and Vegetarians. So don't sweat it. Eat healthy and work out hard.

I leave you with one thing:
    n5027988433cce.gif

833151.gif
  • SwimFan1981
    SwimFan1981 Posts: 1,430 Member
    Options
    Never understood vegetarianism. I don't care if someone else decides to only eat leaves and berries, but as long as you aren't trying to get me to do it, and you're staying healthy, go for it. Had a girlfriend that tried to get me to change the way i live my life. She didn't last long... it wasn't a dietary thing, but along the same lines.

and, an astigmatism is an ocular condition. were you going for 'stigma'?

*sigh* vegetarians do not only eat leaves and berries.

You are wasting your time and energy on them...:flowerforyou:
  • the_crazy_ninja
    Options
    Because its our nature!
  • SwimFan1981
    Options
    Animal products provide vitamin B12 which plant foods don't have unless they are fortify. Vitamin B12 helps to keep the blood cells healthy and it's needed to make DNA. And it also helps prevent anemia. if you a woman and are not eating meat and not taking the vitamin, then it's bad when you are to become pregnant. However, if you are taking vitamins, meat is not essential.

Bread contains B12

You must have missed the part where he said 'unless they are fortified', which most bread is.

Algae isn't. Yeast isn't.

Can you link me a reliable source saying those come naturally with vitamin B12?

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16267554

An excerpt which is leaning towards the suggestion that algae does.
  • RhonndaJ
    RhonndaJ Posts: 1,615 Member
    Options
    I'm as concerned about the people who say you HAVE to eat meat to be healthy as I am the people who say any form of diet is the ONLY way.

I believe that a vegetarian or vegan diet an be perfectly healthy but it takes effort to make certain you're getting the right balance. Mind you, once you figure it out, it seems as simple as any diet using all foods.

I think that when it comes down to it, to each their own and we should spend more time supporting one another's choices than we do criticising them.

Personally, I like meat. There are times I crave red meat and the longer I put off eating it the more I crave it, preferably rare. It makes me wonder if some of us are more predisposed to needing meat in our diets than others. Really, no clue.

It would never occur to me to tell a vegetarian or vegan they needed to eat meat, though if there seemed in ill health to me I might express concern about the cause.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options

Why is this such a common astigmatism? What are your thoughts (WITHOUT BEING RUDE OR DEBATING) on a no-meat lifestyle?

so how am i going to express my point without debating?
  • Fozzi43
    Fozzi43 Posts: 2,984 Member
    Options

Why is this such a common astigmatism? What are your thoughts (WITHOUT BEING RUDE OR DEBATING) on a no-meat lifestyle?

With much difficultly :huh:
  • SwimFan1981
    Options

With much difficultly :huh:

This is what I thought :laugh:
  • hendinerik
    hendinerik Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    Years ago I was vegetarian for 2 and a half years and I never quite felt right on it, but perhaps I wasn't educated enough about the best way to get all the nutrients I needed. When I went back to eating meat I felt much better, and I find that I thrive on it. I certainly have had delicious vegetarian meals and see how people do it, it just never seemed to work for me and I probably would have needed more interest in cooking to really make it work for myself.

I am a big supporter of high protein, I just get mine mostly from meat and greek yogurt.
  • amysteri
    amysteri Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    In my personal opinion as an omnivore I think it's just that some people are used to eating what they're eating :smile:

eating certain foods becomes a habit that people get used to, that their bodies get used to, and our taste buds get used to

I tried skipping the meat for a day just to test out if I could go vegetarian but the next day my system craved meat, and I like meat

And there's nothing wrong with eating what you prefer to eat. It's just a personal taste and a personal choice

Ironically, my favorite's fish, lol :tongue:
  • Fozzi43
    Fozzi43 Posts: 2,984 Member
    Options
    I love meat :wink:
  • Chadomaniac
    Chadomaniac Posts: 1,785 Member
    Options
    lmao
  • Rhebee
    Options
    When you mention you're a vegetarian people think you just sit eating lettuce or carrots all day, they don't realise that there are so many things you can do, it is just lack of knowledge! People at my last job were feeding ham to the vegetarian lady and then said to me "as long as she doesn't have pork she is ok" (WHAT??) and also I have been asked if vegetarians can eat corned beef... some people are just dumb..
  • Ryanmariem
    Ryanmariem Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Hiya,

I get a lot from friends, and no so close friends, that I should eat meat and a strict vegetarian diet is unhealthy, and meat is essential in a healthy diet blah blah.

Why is this such a common astigmatism? What are your thoughts (WITHOUT BEING RUDE OR DEBATING) on a no-meat lifestyle? If you are vegetarian/vegan, do you find yourself to be healthy?

I was a vegetarian from the age of 17 to 20. Although I was not a true veggitarian as I still ate fish and eggs and dairy. But no other meat or meat products. It took research to find out how to subsitute for the protein, but it did not take much, I loved the lentils and beans, all the different legumes I had no idea about. My Dr suggested the diet as I had Chronic Fatigue and just could not get out of the constant fatigue at the time... well taking out the big meats I felt so much better, even now I am not a big red meat eater and I do like my chicken but don't eat meat daily.

I think the problem is that they have not done their research, protein is easy to replace, now the essential fatty acids and amino acids found in fish and eggs can easily be replaced by a good whole food supplements. Just as w/diets that do eat meat when you are defecient in a vitamin, mineral, amino acids you find a good supplement to fill that defecit.

I have no problems w/those who choose not to eat meat, just as long as they do their research and still have a well balance diet... I knew someone who use to eat only diary and no meat and her favorite every day meal was mac&cheese and nacho's.... yuck! Where are the veggies in that veggietarian diet?
  • Bronx_Montgomery
    Options
    Animal products provide vitamin B12 which plant foods don't have unless they are fortify. Vitamin B12 helps to keep the blood cells healthy and it's needed to make DNA. And it also helps prevent anemia. if you a woman and are not eating meat and not taking the vitamin, then it's bad when you are to become pregnant. However, if you are taking vitamins, meat is not essential.

Bread contains B12

You must have missed the part where he said 'unless they are fortified', which most bread is.

Are we really debating on Eating Algae?

wtf_gif_urkel.gif

NO THANKS ILL STICK TO BEING A MEAT EATER.
  • Bronx_Montgomery
    Options

5b.gif
  • SwimFan1981
    Options

Bread contains B12

wtf_gif_urkel.gif

GOOD FOR YOU
  • TheVimFuego
    TheVimFuego Posts: 2,412 Member
    Options

Interpretive dance?

I thought the 'net was an ideal place for a mass debate myself.
  • Bronx_Montgomery
    Options

Bread contains B12

wtf_gif_urkel.gif

GOOD FOR YOU

82608372.gif