Aspartame in Milk?

Options

Replies

• Lupercalia
    Lupercalia Posts: 1,857 Member
    Options
    Why not just sweeten it NATURALLY? Why is that so friggin' hard?! Maybe with erythritol or stevia-- or even xylitol-- it prevents cavities, for goodness sake.

Why must be shove these awful chemicals down their throats? **Sigh**

Some do: http://www.cargillfoods.com/wcm/groups/public/@cseg/@food/@all/documents/document/na3062630.pdf

But if they add any sweetener without calories, it has to have the "reduced" label on the front.

Awww--from Cargill with love! Along with Monsanto, Cargill is one of the most evil corporations in existence. Talk to any farmer in the areas where the giant food conglomerates have forced farmers off their land. Some of these farms have been in the families of these people for generations. Non-fat milk will make children fatter. One of the best ways to slim children down is to cut the sugar out of their diets and make sure they get full-fat dairy along with adequate Vitamin D (in the form of D3--NOT the cheap synthetic Vitamin D2 that comes from the irradiation of milk). Sugar-free no-fat chocolate milk will make children fatter, in addition to exposing them to the dangers of artificial sweeteners. NO....just no.

^^This.
  • CorvusCorax77
    CorvusCorax77 Posts: 2,536 Member
    Options
    In my college biology class we did an experiment with slime molds and their rate of growth with certain foods and conditions. The slime mold came on petri dishes, and HAD to be returned IN CLASS after the experiment because if you threw it away it would cause an outbreak of this stuff that did not sound pleasant. It can live through negative temps, extremely hot temps, and will grow off of basically anything put into the dish (oats, cheese, etc). It's kind of a boss.

I chose aspartame as my weapon to see how fast it would grow. IT KILLED IT IN LESS THAN A DAY. I thought maybe I had the rogue bad slime mold because they never die, so I got another one and it killed it again. My professor was pretty shocked, as no one had ever killed it before.

Point is, I'm not eating anything that causes something that can kill a slime mold in less than a day. Also, it gives my brother seizures and migraines.

Salt will kill a slug pretty fast, would you also avoid all salt?

You're comparing a slime mold to a slug? HA! Hahaha. Wow. Nice try, troll.

I don't think you know what that word means.

Fact: I didn't even notice a difference between each of your profile pictures. Does that mean I think you're both men? Women? Hacking something at the same time and not paying attention? Not sure. But I do know you're best buds. So cute sticking up for him :)

Ad hominem = sure sign someone doens't know how to have an adult conversation.

I'm friends with both of them, and maybe I would have agreed with you but now I know you're not worth even listening to.

Have a nice day!!!
  • SanteMulberry
    SanteMulberry Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    Surely a diabetic shouldn't be consuming these items at all?

I agree, but there are some diabetics out there (like my father) who think that drinking junk, as long as it doesn't have real sugar, is okay for him. If the option isn't there, often he'll buy a full-sugar version because he wants that particular food or drink.

Though if someone was diabetic and had a healthy diet and wanted chocolate milk as a 'treat' once in a blue moon, I can't imagine it would be harmful for them to have a sugar-free option.

But it is harmful. Type II diabetics are already dealing with AGEs (Advanced Glycation End-products) which, as the name suggests, age every cell in the body. Why would it be intelligent to add a further dangerous chemical assault to their body through artificial sweeteners?

So they should avoid all food to avoid chemical assaults?

Now, you're being ridiculous--everyone has to eat to live but NO ONE needs artificial sweeteners and to dupe people into consuming them for the sake of corporate profits is criminal, and you know it.
  • Iron_Pheonix
    Iron_Pheonix Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    Maybe I'm confused? From what I read in the original article:
    Dairy industry groups have asked the Food and Drug Administration to be able to put artificial sweeteners in milk, and not change the label, claiming that it is so consumers can "more easily identify its overall nutritional value".

Isn't that what's happening? I'd like some clarification :(

The original article is terrible. Here is a better one:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/02/26/aspartame-milk_n_2764729.html?utm_hp_ref=business

They are allowed to add sugar or HFCS to milk and still call it milk. For example "chocolate milk" always has HFCS or sugar added to it.

They want to be able to add zero-calorie sweeteners like aspartame, Stevia, etc, instead of HFCS/sugar and still sell the items as "chocolate milk." Right now, doing so is illegal.

I think it would be good to be able to buy "chocolate milk" that has aspartame or stevia instead of HFCS added to it.

Ah, I see, thanks for the clarification! As long as it's labeled (cane sugar, HFCS, stevia, aspartame), then that's fine. As long as the consumer can see what's in the milk and decide based on that. Personally I don't consume aspartame because it gives me headaches and I try to avoid artificial sweeteners, but if someone who is, say, diabetic wants to buy chocolate milk, then it's a good option to have!

Research has shown that artificial sweeteners cause insulin spikes and those insulin spikes make the Type II diabetic person ravenous! They would be much better off without artificial sweeteners. I do not use sugar, simple carbs or artificial sweeteners and I'm still here! In fact, my health has significantly improved.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/1946186

Also protein is highly insulinogenic, best avoid that too

Protein is essential to the body.....aspartame is most definitely not! Nor are carbohydrates/sugar because the body creates it.

But in relation to this comment, "Research has shown that artificial sweeteners cause insulin spikes and those insulin spikes make the Type II diabetic person ravenous! They would be much better off without artificial sweeteners", that aspartame should be avoided by type II's because it spikes insulin (even though it doesn't), then by the same logic, protein should be avoided too, since it spikes insulin

Technically protein will not spike insulin to the same extent that consumption of a carbohydrate/sugar will. I don't think you can group the two together. A diabetic can consume a great deal more protein without a rise in blood sugars in comparison to carbohydrate. Lets remember a diabetic does not respond to insulin.

Depends on the protein and carb in question

Holt et al. An insulin index of foods: the insulin demand generated by 1000-kJ portions of common foods. American Journal of Clinical Nutrition, Vol 66, 1264-1276

http://www.ajcn.org/content/66/5/1264.full.pdf+html

also

The insulinogenic effect of whey protein is partially mediated by a direct effect of amino acids and GIP on β-cells

http://www.nutritionandmetabolism.com/content/9/1/48

1743-7075-9-48-3.jpg

Your using whey protein as an example? Of course whey protein (assuming in powdered form) will raise insulin. That's the whold purpose of it being consumed in that form. Compare chicken to white rice and tell me it gives the same response?
  • iAMsmiling
    iAMsmiling Posts: 2,394 Member
    Options
    In my college biology class we did an experiment with slime molds and their rate of growth with certain foods and conditions. The slime mold came on petri dishes, and HAD to be returned IN CLASS after the experiment because if you threw it away it would cause an outbreak of this stuff that did not sound pleasant. It can live through negative temps, extremely hot temps, and will grow off of basically anything put into the dish (oats, cheese, etc). It's kind of a boss.

I chose aspartame as my weapon to see how fast it would grow. IT KILLED IT IN LESS THAN A DAY. I thought maybe I had the rogue bad slime mold because they never die, so I got another one and it killed it again. My professor was pretty shocked, as no one had ever killed it before.

Point is, I'm not eating anything that causes something that can kill a slime mold in less than a day. Also, it gives my brother seizures and migraines.

Fact: I didn't even notice a difference between each of your profile pictures. Does that mean I think you're both men? Women? Hacking something at the same time and not paying attention? Not sure. But I do know you're best buds. So cute sticking up for him :)

Wow...nasty, nasty, poor excuse for a ..... something that would get me banned.
  • In my college biology class we did an experiment with slime molds and their rate of growth with certain foods and conditions. The slime mold came on petri dishes, and HAD to be returned IN CLASS after the experiment because if you threw it away it would cause an outbreak of this stuff that did not sound pleasant. It can live through negative temps, extremely hot temps, and will grow off of basically anything put into the dish (oats, cheese, etc). It's kind of a boss.

Whoa...I'd give you a dirty look for that comment, but I see you already have one :tongue:
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options

WTF! You must be new here. How petty and shallow of you to make such an assumption! Did you have to dig real deep for that one?
  • ProTFitness
    ProTFitness Posts: 1,379 Member
    Options
    Quick fix dont drink milk we dont need to :-)
  • beets_yum
    Options
    They will sell it next to the "healthy" kid yogurts filled with sugar and garbage.
  • andyisandy
    andyisandy Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    OH NOOOESSS ASPARTAME! RUN FOR YOUR LIVES!!!!!!!
  • DontStopB_Leakin
    DontStopB_Leakin Posts: 3,863 Member
    Options

When one realizes their argument is wrong and false, one resorts to personal attacks.

Nice last stand. The OK corral is closed now. Go home.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    Dairy industry groups have asked the Food and Drug Administration to be able to put artificial sweeteners in milk, and not change the label, claiming that it is so consumers can "more easily identify its overall nutritional value".

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/02/26/aspartame-milk_n_2764729.html?utm_hp_ref=business

They are allowed to add sugar or HFCS to milk and still call it milk. For example "chocolate milk" always has HFCS or sugar added to it.

They want to be able to add zero-calorie sweeteners like aspartame, Stevia, etc, instead of HFCS/sugar and still sell the items as "chocolate milk." Right now, doing so is illegal.

I think it would be good to be able to buy "chocolate milk" that has aspartame or stevia instead of HFCS added to it.

Ah, I see, thanks for the clarification! As long as it's labeled (cane sugar, HFCS, stevia, aspartame), then that's fine. As long as the consumer can see what's in the milk and decide based on that. Personally I don't consume aspartame because it gives me headaches and I try to avoid artificial sweeteners, but if someone who is, say, diabetic wants to buy chocolate milk, then it's a good option to have!

Research has shown that artificial sweeteners cause insulin spikes and those insulin spikes make the Type II diabetic person ravenous! They would be much better off without artificial sweeteners. I do not use sugar, simple carbs or artificial sweeteners and I'm still here! In fact, my health has significantly improved.

Protein is essential to the body.....aspartame is most definitely not! Nor are carbohydrates/sugar because the body creates it.

But in relation to this comment, "Research has shown that artificial sweeteners cause insulin spikes and those insulin spikes make the Type II diabetic person ravenous! They would be much better off without artificial sweeteners", that aspartame should be avoided by type II's because it spikes insulin (even though it doesn't), then by the same logic, protein should be avoided too, since it spikes insulin

Technically protein will not spike insulin to the same extent that consumption of a carbohydrate/sugar will. I don't think you can group the two together. A diabetic can consume a great deal more protein without a rise in blood sugars in comparison to carbohydrate. Lets remember a diabetic does not respond to insulin.

Holt et al. An insulin index of foods: the insulin demand generated by 1000-kJ portions of common foods. American Journal of Clinical Nutrition, Vol 66, 1264-1276

also

The insulinogenic effect of whey protein is partially mediated by a direct effect of amino acids and GIP on β-cells

1743-7075-9-48-3.jpg

Your using whey protein as an example? Of course whey protein (assuming in powdered form) will raise insulin. That's the whold purpose of it being consumed in that form. Compare chicken to white rice and tell me it gives the same response?

How about grilled steak or steamed fish? See the first link I put in the response

And I think you're missing the point, the comment I responded to said diabetics should avoid something since it spikes insulin, I am giving examples of foods that spike insulin, so she can respond and say if they should also be avoided due to the dreaded insulin spike
  • SanteMulberry
    Options

My doc confirmed that the research shows that artificial sweeteners DO spike insulin levels. Of course, all research is suspect now because it is often "science for hire" these days.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options

My doc confirmed that the research shows that artificial sweeteners DO spike insulin levels. Of course, all research is suspect now because it is often "science for hire" these days.

So how did your doc wade through all the literature to determine which was suspect and which was legit?
  • jillybeansalad
    jillybeansalad Posts: 239 Member
    Options

Did you just REALLY say that? Grow up.
  • _SABOTEUR_
    _SABOTEUR_ Posts: 6,833 Member
    Options

If this really happened (which it did not) your college would have been shut down.

Oh, and if I came on a petri dish the mould would have died within a day too. That stuff can strip varnish.
  • SanteMulberry
    Options

Technically protein will not spike insulin to the same extent that consumption of a carbohydrate/sugar will. I don't think you can group the two together. A diabetic can consume a great deal more protein without a rise in blood sugars in comparison to carbohydrate. Lets remember a diabetic does not respond to insulin. The arguement here is whether aspartame raises blood sugar levels?

In relation to aspartame: I too have read extensively on the subject and have many clients that have struggled with continuing consumption of sweeteners which lead to cravings and further consumption.

I do understand what your saying, I can see why you would argue such a point. I do however feel that these products are only making a bad problem worse.... Over consumption of sweet foods.

^^^THIS^^^ While artificial sweeteners do not raise blood sugar, they do lead to craving more food.
  • Iron_Pheonix
    Iron_Pheonix Posts: 191 Member
    Options

also

1743-7075-9-48-3.jpg

How about grilled steak or steamed fish? See the first link I put in the response

And I think you're missing the point, the comment I responded to said diabetics should avoid something since it spikes insulin, I am giving examples of foods that spike insulin, so she can respond and say if they should also be avoided due to the dreaded insulin spike

In your first link, in the conclusion it states that when protein and fat are consumed with the addition of carbohydrates that there is always an increased insulin response. It therefore still confirms that consuming these items without carbohydrate is therefore going to cause a much smaller insulin response.

No I do understand your point but you therefore need to quote research that directly corresponds to whether aspartame increases insulin or not.
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    I'm not scared.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    I'm not scared.

I like you! :flowerforyou: