Curvy Does Not Mean Plus Sized!

Options

Replies

• Improvised
    Improvised Posts: 925 Member
    Options
    Yet another fine example of people being unduly concerned with what others say and do. Sad.

Sums up the entire thread.
  • cheerbabe080790
    cheerbabe080790 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I agree with the girl who ranted about the curvy vs plus sized situation. It is kinda ridiculous that fat women call themselves curvy. I'm a big proponent of "call it what it is.." If your fat you aren't curvy, your rolly polly....circular....protruding...I mean c'mon, find better adj. to describe yourself. Scarlet johansson, Christina Hendrix...these women are curvy...fat people just need to call themselves what they are! Curvy denotes a body type that is hippy and maybe busty. If you have rolls, and so much skin that you can't feel you're hip bones, and you're boobs are only large because your fat has nowhere else to go....then your fat. The media, magazines, etc have no problem calling people too skinny, stick thin, whatever...but for some reason they call ridiculously fat women curvy...Just use the word. If your fat you're fat, if it bothers you to be in the fat category, then fix it. Simple as that. I can say that because I've been every size in the book. When I was fat I called myself fat...is what it is.
  • lfergurson1
    lfergurson1 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    I find it sad that on a site where people come here to focus on health and fitness we still feel the need to single people out does anyone really care curvy plus size whatever ... your self worth can be incredible and your body look like crap or your body can look like a work of art and your self worth be crap is this worth the text its taken up love the skin your in get healthy be healthy if you arent plus sized keep a good attitude and dont allow yourself to get that way. if you are plus sized get healthy and get over it. Enough said.
  • jkleon86
    jkleon86 Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    well dear, I am full figured , Over weight, Fat , fallaciously fluffy, you name it, size 22-24 but getting dressed or undressed, bathing or anything else I find I have to slow down for the curves all the time I am here though to round out some of them :ohwell: .
  • inskydiamonds
    inskydiamonds Posts: 2,519 Member
    Options
    I agree with the girl who ranted about the curvy vs plus sized situation. It is kinda ridiculous that fat women call themselves curvy. I'm a big proponent of "call it what it is.." If your fat you aren't curvy, your rolly polly....circular....protruding...I mean c'mon, find better adj. to describe yourself. Scarlet johansson, Christina Hendrix...these women are curvy...fat people just need to call themselves what they are! Curvy denotes a body type that is hippy and maybe busty. If you have rolls, and so much skin that you can't feel you're hip bones, and you're boobs are only large because your fat has nowhere else to go....then your fat. The media, magazines, etc have no problem calling people too skinny, stick thin, whatever...but for some reason they call ridiculously fat women curvy...Just use the word. If your fat you're fat, if it bothers you to be in the fat category, then fix it. Simple as that. I can say that because I've been every size in the book. When I was fat I called myself fat...is what it is.

Whether you're fat or skinny your body can STILL be curvy. You don't have to in shape to have a described body type. You can be fat and have a pear shape or be curvy, or whichever other varieties they denote. If someone asks what my body shape is or if I'm looking at something regarding body shape, I'm going to look at the curvy section and not the "fat" one.

Someone can be FAT and be CURVY at the same time. Not all "fat" people have the same body shapes.

These two aren't mutually exclusive.

If you wanted to say that you're body type is "rolly polly" that's your prerogative, but just because that's what you called yourself doesn't mean you also didn't have a defined body type and that doesn't mean other women shouldn't be able to classify themselves as such just because you think they are more defined by the word "circular."

The biggest problem with the OP's post is that she doesn't clarify what the body type of the plus-size curvy model was. If they had just photographed any plus-size model (who for instance was pear shaped) and put her in the catalog in the curvy section, that's obviously problematic. But just because a girl is bigger doesn't mean she also isn't curvy.
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    Most men are clueless about what all these shapes mean. They have many misconceptions about what the shapes mean. If you hold up a picture of a women and write cherry body type under her, the men will start saying, "I like the cherry body type". That's how meaningless this all is to men. It's not science. It's just silliness. No one gets a PhD in body type.
  • cheerbabe080790
    Options
    inskydiamonds....for those of us that agree with the ranting girl...we obviously understand that everybody has a body type. This is an unnecessary statement. Everybody has a body type! However, we just think that the girl shouldn't be called "curvy" until she works off the layers of rolls and fat and reveals that truly "curvy" body type. The fact is that you really dont have a defined body type when your fat. Also, the magazines don't refer to curvy girls as curvy...they use the adjective to apply to "fat" girls. Im simply saying....lets be realistic. If they are curvy, its hiding under layers of fat. Call it what it is....Stop sugarcoating it. This is why America is obese, because women, and men too!, feel just a little bit better about being "curvy" rather then fat and then they don't fix themselves and the trend continues in their children.
  • sarahmonsta
    sarahmonsta Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    At a size 18 I was curvy and I am still curvy at a size 10 ha. Anyways, you seem like a very insecure individual...
  • inskydiamonds
    Options
    inskydiamonds....for those of us that agree with the ranting girl...we obviously understand that everybody has a body type. This is an unnecessary statement. Everybody has a body type! However, we just think that the girl shouldn't be called "curvy" until she works off the layers of rolls and fat and reveals that truly "curvy" body type. The fact is that you really dont have a defined body type when your fat. Also, the magazines don't refer to curvy girls as curvy...they use the adjective to apply to "fat" girls. Im simply saying....lets be realistic. If they are curvy, its hiding under layers of fat. Call it what it is....Stop sugarcoating it. This is why America is obese, because women, and men too!, feel just a little bit better about being "curvy" rather then fat and then they don't fix themselves and the trend continues in their children.

What you said is just false though. I am fat, I'm over weight by about 70 pounds and have a lot of fat on my body. My measurements however indicate a much smaller waist than hips. Before I gained weight I had the same proportions, they were just smaller over all. Just because you might have been "circular" or "protruding" or "rolly polly" or whatever when you were overweight doesn't mean every fat girl has the same body shape. People hold their fat very differently depending on their body type. I'm sure I look very different from someone who is the same height and same weight than me, just based on... BODY TYPES.

OP is somehow offended that they used a curvy girl in the magazine though she classifies herself as curvy and she doesn't think she's the same as the fat girl.
    Cry me a river. A girl that's overweight can have the ratio that makes them curvy just as much as a skinny girl can.
  • sarahmonsta
    sarahmonsta Posts: 185 Member
    Options

What you said is just false though. I am fat, I'm over weight by about 70 pounds and have a lot of fat on my body. My measurements however indicate a much smaller waist than hips. Before I gained weight I had the same proportions, they were just smaller over all. Just because you might have been "circular" or "protruding" or "rolly polly" or whatever when you were overweight doesn't mean every fat girl has the same body shape. People hold their fat very differently depending on their body type. I'm sure I look very different from someone who is the same height and same weight than me, just based on... BODY TYPES.

I agree.
  • SwimFan1981
    SwimFan1981 Posts: 1,430 Member
    Options
    LucilleBluth_EyeRoll.gif
  • ToughTulip
    ToughTulip Posts: 1,118 Member
    Options
    Yes how DARE someone call themselves curvy???

But seriously why would you care? Let people call themselves what they want. Let them have some confidence. You are no better than anyone else.
  • dixiewhiskey
    dixiewhiskey Posts: 3,333 Member
    Options
    Michael-What-the-office-10400786-400-226.gif

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: This made this whole thread tolerable. Thank you!!! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

bumping for future laughs
  • TigressPat
    TigressPat Posts: 722
    Options

OP is somehow offended that they used a curvy girl in the magazine though she classifies herself as curvy and she doesn't think she's the same as the fat girl.
    Cry me a river. A girl that's overweight can have the ratio that makes them curvy just as much as a skinny girl can.

I agree with most of this.
    I am overweight. some would say fat. but my waist is a 16-17 inches smaller than my bust and 15 inches smaller than my hips.
    Hourglass. No matter how you look at it. and no matter what my weight. when Im thin, Im an hourglass, when I'm fat, I'm an hourglass.

however, the one thing I'm going to disagree with was the reference to the OP... if you read the entire thread (cumbersome!) you will see that the plus sized model in question was not an hourglass, but a rounded in middle shape.
    yes, plus size girls can be any shape, the same as "regular" girls and "skinny" girls, but this is defined by measurement and proportions. And as an hourglass myself, I too find it annoying if not offensive that the round plus sized model without a defined small waisted hourglass shape was called "curvy". those of us curvy hourglass shaped women were otherwise not represented at all.
  • cheerbabe080790
    Options
    inskywithdiamonds...and sarahmosta.....if you two want to sugar coat it fine. Call them whatever you want. But just because they have hour glass proportions does not make them curvy. I'll rephrase though if it helps....if you have a BMI in the overweight and above category...I don't care what your proportions are...you aren't curvy ...you're fat...medically speaking. Your doctor isn't going to come in and say "heyy you've got a really curvy body lately"...No, he's going to come in and say your overweight/fat. Really it is as simple as that. If your waist is slightly smaller but your stomach protrudes and you have rolls you are not curvy. You can call it what you like, but we are going to have to agree to disagree. I think they're fat, and calling them curvy is only a device used by others to be "politically correct", or it is used by the individual to make themselves feel better...Also, just because I said pick a different adj doesn't mean I was applying it to myself. I really didn't care what I was when I was bigger...I only knew I was fat... I called it what it was. When I lost weight I had a body type again I'm quite happy...not insecure as @sarahmonsta so ignorantly stated. Just because I have an opinion that differs from yours does not make me insecure, or jealous, or anything for that matter...It just means we don't see eye to eye. I, like the ranting girl, am sick of the media and society calling obviously fat girls curvy. They refuse to use the fat word because they are afraid to offend, and fat girls the world over are afraid to use it themselves because they are upset, ashamed, fill in the blank...that they are fat. This is just how I feel. I'm not going to convince you otherwise, and you're not going to change my mind so....we simply have to agree to disagree. :)
  • inskydiamonds
    Options

however, the one thing I'm going to disagree with was the reference to the OP... if you read the entire thread (cumbersome!) you will see that the plus sized model in question was not an hourglass, but a rounded in middle shape.
    yes, plus size girls can be any shape, the same as "regular" girls and "skinny" girls, but this is defined by measurement and proportions. And as an hourglass myself, I too find it annoying if not offensive that the round plus sized model without a defined small waisted hourglass shape was called "curvy". those of us curvy hourglass shaped women were otherwise not represented at all.

I read through most of the post and I didn't see that portion. That's definitely something she should have included in her original post because I have a feeling a lot of this thread could have been avoided had that been clarified up front :P
  • chellebublz
    chellebublz Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    I've always been an hourglass shape. I'm losing inches a lil unevenly so I'm currently a pear shape but still consider myself curvy as do people who know me. I was curvy when I was skinny and I'm curvy as plus sized. A month ago I was size 24 and last week bought size 20's but I can also fit some of my old 18s. If my thighs were a lil smaller than I would be able to fit another size smaller. My pants are big in the waist because of my thighs lol.

I do agree, I've seen ppl refer to Kate Upton as curvy and she is most deft not plus sized.
  • Fragilebird24
    Fragilebird24 Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    I am currently considered "plus sized", as much as I hate to say it. When I was thin I had more of an athletic shape and I wasn't very curvy. But as I gained weight I naturally became curvier. However, I do have a best friend who is not plus sized at all but curvy. I understand and agree with what the OP is saying. There are a lot of plus sized women who have dynamite, sexy curves even though they are plus sized, yet that is not true for everyone. The same goes with thinner women. Curvy does not equal plus sized in all cases. I am very proportional, so when I gain weight I gain it all over. If they choose a curvy heavier woman to represent the "Curvy" section than so be it. It'd be the same if a tall heavier woman represented the "Tall" section. Don't let it offend you.
  • inskydiamonds
    Options
    inskywithdiamonds...and sarahmosta.....if you two want to sugar coat it fine. Call them whatever you want. But just because they have hour glass proportions does not make them curvy. I'll rephrase though if it helps....if you have a BMI in the overweight and above category...I don't care what your proportions are...you aren't curvy ...you're fat...medically speaking. Your doctor isn't going to come in and say "heyy you've got a really curvy body lately"...No, he's going to come in and say your overweight/fat. Really it is as simple as that. If your waist is slightly smaller but your stomach protrudes and you have rolls you are not curvy. You can call it what you like, but we are going to have to agree to disagree. I think they're fat, and calling them curvy is only a device used by others to be "politically correct", or it is used by the individual to make themselves feel better...Also, just because I said pick a different adj doesn't mean I was applying it to myself. I really didn't care what I was when I was bigger...I only knew I was fat... I called it what it was. When I lost weight I had a body type again I'm quite happy...not insecure as @sarahmonsta so ignorantly stated. Just because I have an opinion that differs from yours does not make me insecure, or jealous, or anything for that matter...It just means we don't see eye to eye. I, like the ranting girl, am sick of the media and society calling obviously fat girls curvy. They refuse to use the fat word because they are afraid to offend, and fat girls the world over are afraid to use it themselves because they are upset, ashamed, fill in the blank...that they are fat. This is just how I feel. I'm not going to convince you otherwise, and you're not going to change my mind so....we simply have to agree to disagree. :)

I don't think your doctor is going to be commenting on your body shape beyond health and if he or she is, that's strange. I would be mighty confused if I went to my doctor and he was like, "Hey, you got a pear shape going on today." Body weight is medical and related to health. Your body shape isn't, so the two aren't comparable at all.

Whether someone has rolls on their stomach or not, they have defined proportions that often stay consistent despite weight gain. You can close your eyes to the fact that they still have a body shape if you want - but all fat people aren't shaped the same. I mean, hey, you said people should call themselves "circular" or "rolly polly" and I definitely don't have that body shape. Am I fat? Yeah. But like I'll say over and over, your body shape really makes a difference on how you hold your weight. And your proportional differences between your hips, waist, and chest aren't somehow invalidated just because you're overweight.
  • Natihilator
    Natihilator Posts: 1,778 Member
    Options
    I am a curvy p,us sized hot piece of asssss! Currently under construction to make things even better. U can suck it!

:drinker: :flowerforyou:
    Most men are clueless about what all these shapes mean. They have many misconceptions about what the shapes mean. If you hold up a picture of a women and write cherry body type under her, the men will start saying, "I like the cherry body type". That's how meaningless this all is to men. It's not science. It's just silliness. No one gets a PhD in body type.

:laugh:
This discussion has been closed.