Curvy Does Not Mean Plus Sized!

Options

Replies

• kristen6022
    kristen6022 Posts: 1,926 Member
    Options
    What bothers me about those kind of articles is they assume "tall" means straight up and down and stick thin. There are more tall women out there with curves and extra weight than there are of tall women that are shaped like models.

Don't let magazines bother you - everyone is different and everyone is beautiful the way they are.
  • mixedlollies
    mixedlollies Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Lighten up, all women are real...obviously.

I'll lighten up when you quit the body shaming bs :yawn:
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    Here you go:

http://www.eshakti.com/default.aspx

Every item of clothing FULLY customizable to your exact measurements.

Have you ordered anything from eshakti? can you comment on their quality? because looking at the website photos of their models and how the dresses fit them is not making me want to bust out the credit card...

lmao
    my thoughts exactly.

Yes, actually. I bought this dress:

CL0022018_OSP.jpg

and I adore it. It is very thick cotton material, well-made, tailored to my measurements, and adorable. Sorry the site wasn't up to your standards, I was only trying to be helpful. *shrug*

ETA: Oh, and it arrived at my house, from India, in less than a week.

Ooooooohh! Be sure to post a picture when it arrives. This dress is gorgeous!
  • HotrodsGirl0107
    HotrodsGirl0107 Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    "Curvy" has more to do with body structure. I have been obese and curvy and now I am thin and curvy. The problem is the word "fat" is seen as negative. I really don't understand how people are hurt so much by words though. I was 275 at my highest weight and most definately had excess fat on my body. I was fat and knew and referred to myself as such. Using a cute alternative to the fat wouldn't have change that as I was not in denial about it.

I don't support fat acceptance and I don't believe sugar coating id beneficial to anyone.
  • lilpoindexter
    lilpoindexter Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    MMMMM Tanesha.
  • TigressPat
    TigressPat Posts: 722
    Options
    waiting for the friend requests
  • jayche
    jayche Posts: 1,128 Member
    Options
    Honestly, I'd take the "fat" one...
    Ok I'll take the curvy one then!
  • chocl8girl
    chocl8girl Posts: 1,968 Member
    Options
    25133269.jpg
  • SwimFan1981
    SwimFan1981 Posts: 1,430 Member
    Options
    Mr Bean :heart:
  • jen81uk
    jen81uk Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    I'm a pear! Has no relevance, just thought I'd chime in! lol
  • MuddyEquestrian
    MuddyEquestrian Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    I think a lot of people in this thread need to go back and read the first post - many of the responses are far more *****y and personal that the OP was ("sorry you are so insecure darlin", "get over it" "way to insult every one here" etc).

I personally didn't see much wrong with the OP, the point she was making is one that many other people have made and agreed with, I didn't see the OP judging others just saying that it personally annoys her that the word curvy HAS seemed to change in meaning in recent years - she even said herself what many of you seem to be sarcastically pointing out - that a woman of any size CAN be curvy but the one in this magazine wasn't.

Seriously, read it a few times before getting annoyed and firing off a response that makes no sense.

^Couldn't agree more. Love how people are firing at this girl for her OPINION, did you all forget we all have different ones? GREAT! You're size 22 and curvy and confident. Awesome, but I believe the OP is right in regards to what that word has turned into.
  • nashsheri33
    nashsheri33 Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    I once put on an online dating profile that I was "Monroe-esque". One guy I met said, "I was expecting you to be fat."

I stabbed him in the eyeball with an ice pick.

Then I thought...you know...she did put on some weight in her later years. Then I felt bad.

you know, this thread has changed from 'kinda mean and drama-filled' to 'somewhat entertaining'!
  • nashsheri33
    Options
    I agree with the girl who ranted about the curvy vs plus sized situation. It is kinda ridiculous that fat women call themselves curvy. I'm a big proponent of "call it what it is.." If your fat you aren't curvy, your rolly polly....circular....protruding...I mean c'mon, find better adj. to describe yourself. Scarlet johansson, Christina Hendrix...these women are curvy...fat people just need to call themselves what they are! Curvy denotes a body type that is hippy and maybe busty. If you have rolls, and so much skin that you can't feel you're hip bones, and you're boobs are only large because your fat has nowhere else to go....then your fat. The media, magazines, etc have no problem calling people too skinny, stick thin, whatever...but for some reason they call ridiculously fat women curvy...Just use the word. If your fat you're fat, if it bothers you to be in the fat category, then fix it. Simple as that. I can say that because I've been every size in the book. When I was fat I called myself fat...is what it is.

^^agreed. see my earlier post, page 3.
  • nashsheri33
    Options
    well, i have learned some interesting new words, and i'm not sure which ones i'm 'allowed' to use.

fat, thick, heavy, curvy, rubenesque, 'monroe-esque', chubby, big-boned, large, big, plus-sized, queen-sized, hourglass, statuesque, pin-up, voluptuous, ruler-shaped, apple-shaped, pear-shaped, athletic, petite, average, ample, portly, husky, full-figured, roly-poly, super-curvy, tall, muscular, and let's not forget OBESE. (i will always use the word 'obese', because it is not an insult, it is a MEDICAL TERM. i didn't invent it, so please don't shoot the messenger.)

yes, i read the entire thread. even so, i may have missed one or two adjectives.

language changes all the time. some of these words are p.c., some not.

so, i wonder....does anybody know if there is a baseline for describing body types? can we hear from a tailor, or a seamstress? or somebody who works in the fashion industry?

p.s., my husband describes me as 'scrumptious'.
  • cheerbabe080790
    cheerbabe080790 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Tigresspat...If you're overweight, you're not healthy. I'm sorry to tell you. It's very simple. Overweight is unhealthy no matter what way you look at it. You may have a perfect bill of health otherwise, but being overweight means you have excess fat stores around your organs. Your systems don't function as efficiently, and The extra fat puts strain on the organs. Not to mention that you are increasing risk for diabetes, heart disease, hypertension....the list goes on. I don't know about you, but I wouldn't call that healthy. I don't care if what I say offends you. It is just my opinion, and I'm not afraid to share it. I don't care what your proportions are...if you are overweight you're not curvy, You are fat. Sorry if it bothers you. It is how I see it...I'm obviously not the only one because there are many people in this post who agree with me and the ranting girl. Plus, I don't care if you can stick your foot over your head and have tons of cleavage, lol, no one really cares, that was an arrogant statement, one aimed at making yourself feel superior and making yourself feel as though you displaced my comment. I guess if that helps you feel better :) whatever. (plus if you're overweight as you say, no one really wants to see that!)
    Inskydiamonds....You obviously didn't understand my last statement. You're wrong about a doctor commenting on body type...Of course your doctor would take into account your body type. Different body types gain weight in different areas, and weight in certain areas of your body is more dangerous...so you're wrong. You're doctor could comment on body type and It wouldn't be out of place. With that being said, a doctor wouldn't place an overweight person in a curvy category. If you are within normal BMI, and you have curvy proportions that is different! I know now your position, and you can think what you want, but it doesn't change my mind. We really are going to have to agree to disagree.

General note.....I didn't say my opinion to offend anybody. You are all entitled to your opinion whether you agree with me or not. I'm simply stating an opinion, not trying to argue with anybody. I am not trying to be mean but I think the term "curvy" is used to be politically correct and it is applied to liberally to people who clearly don't fit the definition. As with anything, there is going to be differences of opinion. All I am saying, is that I agree with the girl who opened the post, and if you don't that's cool. :)
  • calisunrise
    calisunrise Posts: 307
    Options
    i agree with 90% of this post
    the other 10%... well, who said a pear shape couldn't be curvy?
  • Beastx10
    Beastx10 Posts: 97
    Options
    just thought I'd add- it's not just you, since I've been on this site I've seen the same complaint over and over. Realize that it bothers you because of an insecurity that you have somewhere and move on, that's all I'm saying.

there's absolutely no logical reason to be upset about how someone else considers their own body. A girl wearing a size 20 doesn't need to call her self plus-sized if she feels curvy to suit you. Get what I'm saying?

touche, LOL!!!!
  • Beastx10
    Beastx10 Posts: 97
    Options
    " I am NOT plus sized" okay..... why do you feel the need to emphasize that your NOT plus size? It must be because you are so insecure about your size that you must demean those who are shaped larger than you...

Seriously, I don't get offended when skinny girls call themselves "curvy." Even though stick figures don't have curves. If some one wants to call themselves super woman, I don't care!

why can't she?? WOW! bitter much?
  • Christizzzle
    Christizzzle Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    Thank goodness you didn't post your rant anywhere that "plus-sized" people could read it! That could be interpreted as insensitive.

:laugh:
  • wikitbikit
    wikitbikit Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    General note.....I didn't say my opinion to offend anybody. You are all entitled to your opinion whether you agree with me or not. I'm simply stating an opinion, not trying to argue with anybody.
    You are entitled to your opinion, and it's a good thing you clarified that it's all just your opinion. Statements like "If you're overweight, you're not healthy. I'm sorry to tell you. It's very simple. Overweight is unhealthy no matter what way you look at it" kind of make it sound like it's not an opinion, but an undeniable fact that has come down to you from the high grand poohbah of be-all-end-all.

And it's not.

It's an opinion. (And not even a correct one!) (But we'll have to agree to disagree :flowerforyou: )
This discussion has been closed.