• Amoravy
    Amoravy Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    anchorman_well_that_escalated_quickly_966.jpg

Don't act like youre not impressed.
  • mrsmustgetmuscles1
    mrsmustgetmuscles1 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Don't listen to these men. Hire a FEMALE personal trainer and talk to her. Men don't understand a woman's body. It's not the same. Women's bodies are even designed to hold on to fat in preparation for childbirth. It doesn't know there isn't a famine around the corner. Women even have certain days of the month they should be buffing and certain days of the month they should be boosting. It's based on hormones. Your diet and your workouts should be based on that. How many men can explain that one?

1. Lose more weight.
    2. Start strength training
    3. If you have a back, chest, arms and shoulders, upper body strength training is probably a good idea.

- FROM A WOMAN.

ETA:

1. What in the HALE is buffing and boosting??
    2. OP if you want guidance as to why you haven't lost weight during a year of exercising, you should open your diary, providing that it is accurate.
    No one can really comment

^ Another vote for strength training from a woman. The basics are the same for males and females.

Cant help without seeing your diary but I would add:

4. Small calorie deficit

5. Enough protein.
    I am the original poster of this comment here that said, "don't listen to men" and that "women hold more fat" I also added in the post below that I forgot to mention to LIFT WEIGHTS and suggested it. It just didn't get copied along with this quote. I am a woman too. Yes, lift weights. And yes the basics of lifting are the same. That isn't what i was referring to. I said it is harder for women to lose fat based on the fact that we are women and we have babies. I am only talking about women of childbearing age who have not gone through menopause. We hold onto fat in constant preparation for getting pregnant. I said men don't "get that". I said they lose fat easier. For one they have more muscle, two they don't have bodies which hold onto fat for the event they get pregnant. Again STRENGTH TRAIN. There are a lot of sloppy readers here so quick to post a comment without reading .

How sexist are you? Men dont understand that women hold more fat? Are you serious? Get a female trainer? WTF?

Yes women hold more fat than men. We also look leaner at higher BF% Win for us.

Changes nothing about how to retain LBM while losing body fat. Exactly the same process for men and women at all times of the month.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    This is the place where the people with the low IQ decided to hang out tonight. You all have fun.

I think you need to take a break from the internet....seriously.
  • Natihilator
    Natihilator Posts: 1,778 Member
    Options
    Don't listen to these men. Hire a FEMALE personal trainer and talk to her. Men don't understand a woman's body. It's not the same. Women's bodies are even designed to hold on to fat in preparation for childbirth. It doesn't know there isn't a famine around the corner. Women even have certain days of the month they should be buffing and certain days of the month they should be boosting. It's based on hormones. Your diet and your workouts should be based on that. How many men can explain that one?

1. Lose more weight.
    3. If you have a back, chest, arms and shoulders, upper body strength training is probably a good idea.

- FROM A WOMAN.

ETA:

2. OP if you want guidance as to why you haven't lost weight during a year of exercising, you should open your diary, providing that it is accurate.

^ Another vote for strength training from a woman. The basics are the same for males and females.

4. Small calorie deficit

5. Enough protein.
    I am the original poster of this comment here that said, "don't listen to men" and that "women hold more fat" I also added in the post below that I forgot to mention to LIFT WEIGHTS and suggested it. It just didn't get copied along with this quote. I am a woman too. Yes, lift weights. And yes the basics of lifting are the same. That isn't what i was referring to. I said it is harder for women to lose fat based on the fact that we are women and we have babies. I am only talking about women of childbearing age who have not gone through menopause. We hold onto fat in constant preparation for getting pregnant. I said men don't "get that". I said they lose fat easier. For one they have more muscle, two they don't have bodies which hold onto fat for the event they get pregnant. Again STRENGTH TRAIN. There are a lot of sloppy readers here so quick to post a comment without reading .

I don't know if you're addressing me as one of the "sloppy readers", but the point I was trying to make when I first quoted you is that at the end of the day, gender/hormonal/physiological differences aren't enough to trump the fact that weight loss is achieved through a caloric deficit, and that to achieve a 'toned' look and retain as much LBM as possible, one should include strength training in their exercise routine.
  • Amoravy
    Options
    This is the place where the people with the low IQ decided to hang out tonight. You all have fun.

LOL!
  • S_U_M_M_E_R
    S_U_M_M_E_R Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    One cannot target any fat on the body with direct exercise. You can with lipo though. If you aren't lifting, then you're not helping to strengthen or retain muscle while you lose weight. Lifting also help with metabolism.
    And last, it comes down to calorie deficit. Not too much or too little either. Consistency matters as well as INTENSITY. If the cardio you're presently doing has you at a plateau, then change it to a higher intensity.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
    YES! Finally, someone "gets it".
  • jackieomara
    jackieomara Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Don't act like youre not impressed.

Just sitting back and watching all the things happening in this post right now :tongue:
  • S_U_M_M_E_R
    S_U_M_M_E_R Posts: 220 Member
    Options

1. Lose more weight.

- FROM A WOMAN.

ETA:

4. Small calorie deficit

5. Enough protein.

I don't know if you're addressing me as one of the "sloppy readers", but the point I was trying to make when I first quoted you is that at the end of the day, gender/hormonal/physiological differences aren't enough to trump the fact that weight loss is achieved through a caloric deficit, and that to achieve a 'toned' look and retain as much LBM as possible, one should include strength training in their exercise routine.
    I was referring to you. But maybe I misread or misunderstood and I apologize. What you said here makes sense. Again, my apologies.
  • bonniejo
    bonniejo Posts: 787 Member
    Options
    Wow it is crazy in here! My two cents is to try weighted gloves in your cardio. My arms and back have become more toned because it's like I'm lifting low weights at high reps (which I am technically), but I still get that cardio burn. That being said, I would also recommend adding in 5-10 minutes of pushups, planks, sit ups, etc every time you run.

WEIGHT GLOVES WTF?!

I have seen the wrist ones but seemed like they'd be annoying moving around while running when I tried them on. I didn't know they had gloves. 3 pounders?

Yeah, but not quite 3 pounds! These are the ones I use, although they just broke so I'm getting a new pair. They are only uncomfortable in the sweaty department (icky, I know) but it takes a while (like 30 minutes for me) for them to feel that way, and until then I totally forget I'm wearing them :)

http://www.amazon.com/KICKBOXING-TURBO-WEIGHTED-GLOVES-CARRYING/dp/B004D8LM8E/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1362550835&sr=8-2&keywords=turbo+jam+gloves
  • Amoravy
    Options
    OP, you may want to take a very long diet break. I read in your profile that most of your weight loss efforts have either come from starving yourself or yo-yo diets. With this in consideration, and the fact you have been potentially under a calorie deficit for over a year, you may want to give your endocrine system a much needed break to allow the hormones that regulate your metabolism as well as RMR a chance to recover. By keeping the petal to the medal, so to speak, you've been reducing your energy balance lower and lower meaning you'll need to keep lowering calories to elicit further weight loss. Of course, this isn't wise since this will lead to severe under-eating.

What are you suggesting exactly? My metabolism is screwed up for life? That's what I have been thinking.
  • mustgetmuscles1
    mustgetmuscles1 Posts: 3,346 Member
    Options
    OP, you may want to take a very long diet break. I read in your profile that most of your weight loss efforts have either come from starving yourself or yo-yo diets. With this in consideration, and the fact you have been potentially under a calorie deficit for over a year, you may want to give your endocrine system a much needed break to allow the hormones that regulate your metabolism as well as RMR a chance to recover. By keeping the petal to the medal, so to speak, you've been reducing your energy balance lower and lower meaning you'll need to keep lowering calories to elicit further weight loss. Of course, this isn't wise since this will lead to severe under-eating.

What are you suggesting exactly? My metabolism is screwed up for life? That's what I have been thinking.

It is possible that you have caused some metabolic slow down/ damage/adaptation (whatever you want to call it) if you have been in a severe deficit for a long time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QHHzie6XRGk

It is possible to fix but it takes patience as it may take as long to fix as it did to cause the problem in the first place.
  • jaz050465
    jaz050465 Posts: 3,508 Member
    Options
    I am within my healthy weight range and just couldn't lose weight despite cutting calories and exercising. I then got the BMF and bought into a system which gave me analysis by phone call from a sports scientist. We tried a few different things but FINALLY I am losing weight. What I am doing is eating just above my BMR and then exersising more to give me a 1000 deficit. I'm 5ft 8 and weigh 146 pounds. I'm eating 1600 and burning 2600 throughout the day. I thought I'd never lose weight but its happening.

Also try Chalean Extrem. It's strength training but something you can do at home.
  • Amoravy
    Options
    Wow it is crazy in here! My two cents is to try weighted gloves in your cardio. My arms and back have become more toned because it's like I'm lifting low weights at high reps (which I am technically), but I still get that cardio burn. That being said, I would also recommend adding in 5-10 minutes of pushups, planks, sit ups, etc every time you run.

WEIGHT GLOVES WTF?!

I have seen the wrist ones but seemed like they'd be annoying moving around while running when I tried them on. I didn't know they had gloves. 3 pounders?

Yeah, but not quite 3 pounds! These are the ones I use, although they just broke so I'm getting a new pair. They are only uncomfortable in the sweaty department (icky, I know) but it takes a while (like 30 minutes for me) for them to feel that way, and until then I totally forget I'm wearing them :)

http://www.amazon.com/KICKBOXING-TURBO-WEIGHTED-GLOVES-CARRYING/dp/B004D8LM8E/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1362550835&sr=8-2&keywords=turbo+jam+gloves

I don't mind sweat. I can literally twist sweat out of my shirt when I am done exercising...and looove it! This is a great idea.
  • rickyll
    rickyll Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    So this has been said many times on here but for some reason no one seems to pay any attention to the few people that know what they are talking about. I think it may be in hope that someone will vomit out some garbage about "weighted gloves" or carrying midgets on your back and they'll choose to believe it...

So..to reiterate what some of my fallen brethren have already so heroically said on this post:

You CANNOT target fat. It is in your specific genes what fat your body decides to get rid of first relative to the rest of your body.
    There are some similarities between men and some similarities between women when it comes to where most fat is stored and where most fat is lost at first.

SO, OP, if you want to get rid of your back fat, you have to get rid of ALL the other fat your body wants to get rid of first before it even thinks about your back fat.

..In memory of Intelligence
  • SatchGallamax
    SatchGallamax Posts: 549 Member
    Options
    Normally I wouldn't jump into a thread this late, but I feel like good information isn't getting through, so I'll add my experience.

I've always had a lot of back fat, but it's been disappearing... by strength training my entire body, eating a small caloric deficit, and watching my macros.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    One cannot target any fat on the body with direct exercise. You can with lipo though. If you aren't lifting, then you're not helping to strengthen or retain muscle while you lose weight. Lifting also help with metabolism.
    And last, it comes down to calorie deficit. Not too much or too little either. Consistency matters as well as INTENSITY. If the cardio you're presently doing has you at a plateau, then change it to a higher intensity.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
    YES! Finally, someone "gets it". This is exactly what I have been saying in posts throughout this thread. You hit on every point I have already made. BTW, I am also currently getting certified as an A.C.E. Personal Trainer.

Ummm..what about the whole...you are not a woman, we are different, its all about hormones...he did not address that.

I have gone back and looked at your posts and your response to niner's post is unbelievable based on what you have previously posted.
  • Amoravy
    Options
    I am within my healthy weight range and just couldn't lose weight despite cutting calories and exercising. I then got the BMF and bought into a system which gave me analysis by phone call from a sports scientist. We tried a few different things but FINALLY I am losing weight. What I am doing is eating just above my BMR and then exersising more to give me a 1000 deficit. I'm 5ft 8 and weigh 146 pounds. I'm eating 1600 and burning 2600 throughout the day. I thought I'd never lose weight but its happening.

Also try Chalean Extrem. It's strength training but something you can do at home.

so what are your net calories at exactly?
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    can't sleep. thank god this thread is still going on.
  • 1ConcreteGirl
    1ConcreteGirl Posts: 3,677 Member
    Options
    Normally I wouldn't jump into a thread this late, but I feel like good information isn't getting through, so I'll add my experience.

I've always had a lot of back fat, but it's been disappearing... by strength training my entire body, eating a small caloric deficit, and watching my macros.

This.
  • Abbdul
    Abbdul Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    dead lifts and squats <----this