Quitting diet soda today

Options

Replies

• RhonndaJ
    RhonndaJ Posts: 1,615 Member
    Options
    To the OP

Good luck in your choice. I think if you're trying to remove all processed food from your diet it's a great step.

However, as has been debated in your thread. There's a huge battle between those who think artificial sweeteners are bad, and those who think they do no harm.

My advice, decide for yourself.
  • coffee_rocks
    coffee_rocks Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    As a shareholder of Coca Cola stock in my RRSP, I would ask you to switch to yummy Dasani bottled water. So good for you!

Seriously, though, good for you. I enjoy an occasional one, but not a daily one, so if you can switch out to water, or something else without the fake sugar in it, all the power to you.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    Oh wow. I don't know a lot about nutrition or chemistry, but the advice that was given to me is to consume more whole, natural foods and less of anything I don't need. I'm the OP-I'm new to MFP (first post!) and was just trying to make conversation, really.

Whatever you do, don't let this scare you off of the MFP forums.

Look at it as your first post was a 6+ pager. I've read many times where new people complained that they felt their posts were ignored. You certainly avoided that problem this time. :wink:

this is true lol always see the positive (:

That's me...Mr. Brightside. :drinker:
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Again I prove my point again. No argument, no point, just plain brain damage.

You have a really big issue with diet soda, yet , per your profile you are on Phentremine. Odd.
  • mcknjack
    mcknjack Posts: 20
    Options
    Good for you! That stuff is toxic!

Aspartame is broken down into phenylalanine, aspartic acid, and methanol. Phenylalanine and Aspartic Acid are amino acids and there's a much higher concentration of these aminos in a measly 4oz chicken breast than there is in diet soda. 1 Banana will yield more methanol than a 12oz can of soda. The dosage limits that can cause any issues are VERY HIGH, and you'd have to consume massive amounts to even detect any increased levels in a blood test. Cliffs: Diet soda is fine if you don't get headaches from it, and a very small % of people do. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17828671

Everyone should stop spreading rumors and old-wives tales.

and you should stop criticizing someone who's giving up junk food to be healthier. ;)

Dispelling pseudo-science propaganda is not what I'd call criticizing.

People get all freaked out when a tiny percentage of the population has a mild sensitivity to a man made chemical and so they think that it's must automatically be evil and deadly. Guess what? Nuts, tree fruits, shellfish, and other natural things are straight up deadly to some people.

science also prescribed leeching at one time.

do we still do it?

Google Demi Moore and leech therapy. I just shuddered a little.
  • Matt_Wild
    Matt_Wild Posts: 2,673 Member
    Options
    Good for you! That stuff is toxic!

Aspartame is broken down into phenylalanine, aspartic acid, and methanol. Phenylalanine and Aspartic Acid are amino acids and there's a much higher concentration of these aminos in a measly 4oz chicken breast than there is in diet soda. 1 Banana will yield more methanol than a 12oz can of soda. The dosage limits that can cause any issues are VERY HIGH, and you'd have to consume massive amounts to even detect any increased levels in a blood test. Cliffs: Diet soda is fine if you don't get headaches from it, and a very small % of people do. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17828671

Everyone should stop spreading rumors and old-wives tales.

and you should stop criticizing someone who's giving up junk food to be healthier. ;)

Dispelling pseudo-science propaganda is not what I'd call criticizing.

People get all freaked out when a tiny percentage of the population has a mild sensitivity to a man made chemical and so they think that it's must automatically be evil and deadly. Guess what? Nuts, tree fruits, shellfish, and other natural things are straight up deadly to some people.

science also prescribed leeching at one time.

do we still do it?

Fantastic logic there, I can see where you are going.

Yes comparing medical texts from 100+ years ago to now is indeed highly logical and often used in meta-analysis for useful studies.
  • zillah73
    zillah73 Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    I am reminded by a Tony Robbin's quote that I truly take to heart in my own life: "If you do what you've always done, you'll get what you've always gotten."

I doubt even Tony Robbins would advocate change merely for the sake of change. I could be wrong.

Stop eating entirely! You'll be doing something new and you'll get a new result.

Tony Robbins? Really?

!.) This isn't change for the sake of change in the case of the OP. It is a change she is choosing to make for the sake of improving her health and well being. You do not know everything, least of all about the health ramifications of diet sodas. For every study you can quote advocating it, someone else can post a quote condemning it. She believes it is best for her and it is her prerogative to make her own life decisions. She came here for support and to share something she was excited about.

2.) I doubt many people would advocate being contrary and antagonistic just for the sake of being contrary and antagonistic. But you are doing it anyway.

Don't bother responding if you want to antagonize me further. I am opting to ignore your profile after posting this. I have no place in my life or my MFP forums for your brand of useless, unproductive comments and negativity.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    how bout encouraging the OP? or if you're not here to do that, why ARE you in this thread?

I question the validity of the claim hidden in this personal attack.

Is there actual value in encouraging someone on to do something completely pointless and without merit?
    yeah that wasn't a personal attack.

but anyway, no one - not even you - can prove that diet soda is GOOD for you, yes?

so what's wrong with getting rid of it on the off-chance all we crazy anti-aspartame people are actually right? she risks nothing in doing so, while you all are crossing your fingers and hoping science is serving you well this time.
    I'll make this simple. Aspartame is made up of two amino acids, phenylalanine, and aspartic acid. Phenylalanine happens to be an essential amino acid, while aspartic acid is nonessential, as the body makes it. So, basically, if aspartame is actually harmful, then humans would have died out long ago, just from eating. 4 oz of chicken has the phenylalanine and aspartic acid equivalent of 25 cans of diet soda. Beef contains even more. Even nuts and seeds contain it in higher concentrations than a diet soda.

In short, it's in everything you eat. Even fruit contain aspartic acid and phenylalanine. If aspartame was at all dangerous, everything we eat would be poison.
  • nomicat77
    nomicat77 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    I want to ask a question about this. I've been drinking one can of diet caffeine free coke at night, maybe 3-4 nights/wk, as a way to curb my cravings for higher calorie stuff. (If I feel like the dc is a treat it stops me from wanting ice cream and M&Ms.)

How bad is it really? Otherwise I only drink water and coffee (and half a glass of wine at dinner). Is 3-4 cans/week going to have a huge health impact?

you should read this article.

http://www.fitsugar.com/Why-Diet-Soda-Bad-You-25207657
  • tigersword
    Options
    I want to ask a question about this. I've been drinking one can of diet caffeine free coke at night, maybe 3-4 nights/wk, as a way to curb my cravings for higher calorie stuff. (If I feel like the dc is a treat it stops me from wanting ice cream and M&Ms.)

How bad is it really? Otherwise I only drink water and coffee (and half a glass of wine at dinner). Is 3-4 cans/week going to have a huge health impact?

you should read this article.

http://www.fitsugar.com/Why-Diet-Soda-Bad-You-25207657
    A terrible article. I've read the studies referenced by it, and none of them showed diet sodas as causing any of the issues the article is blaming them on.
  • deanadimples
    deanadimples Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    I'll make this simple. Aspartame is made up of two amino acids, phenylalanine, and aspartic acid. Phenylalanine happens to be an essential amino acid, while aspartic acid is nonessential, as the body makes it. So, basically, if aspartame is actually harmful, then humans would have died out long ago, just from eating. 4 oz of chicken has the phenylalanine and aspartic acid equivalent of 25 cans of diet soda. Beef contains even more. Even nuts and seeds contain it in higher concentrations than a diet soda.

In short, it's in everything you eat. Even fruit contain aspartic acid and phenylalanine. If aspartame was at all dangerous, everything we eat would be poison.

That's interesting. Im curious as to why diet sodas have the warning on them about the pku whatever stuff that can cause cancer. If similar properties in diet soda are in meats, which are eaten in mass quanitites at much higher levels, then why does the soda warrant an actual warning label but the meat doesn't? Especially since both food types are monitored in production.
  • FredDoyle
    FredDoyle Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options

That's interesting. Im curious as to why diet sodas have the warning on them about the pku whatever stuff that can cause cancer. If similar properties in diet soda are in meats, which are eaten in mass quanitites at much higher levels, then why does the soda warrant an actual warning label but the meat doesn't? Especially since both food types are monitored in production.
    Because people make alarmist statements without evidence?
  • tigersword
    Options

PKU has nothing to do with cancer. PKU stands for Phenylketonuria, which is an extremely rare genetic disorder that causes a person to be unable to process phenylalanine. A person with PKU has to severely limit all foods with phenylalanine in them, which can mean completely eliminating meat, eggs, dairy, fish and legumes, and must carefully monitor grains and fruits, to ensure they don't consume too much phenylalanine. The warning is placed on any food that contains aspartame to let people with PKU know that they should avoid the product, as it can potentially be fatal for them to eat, similar to how most foods nowadays have the "may contain nuts, or was processed in a facility that also processes nuts" warning to inform people with nut allergies of potentially fatal issues with consuming a food that may have been contaminated with nuts.
  • deanadimples
    deanadimples Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    PKU has nothing to do with cancer. PKU stands for Phenylketonuria, which is an extremely rare genetic disorder that causes a person to be unable to process phenylalanine. A person with PKU has to severely limit all foods with phenylalanine in them, which can mean completely eliminating meat, eggs, dairy, fish and legumes, and must carefully monitor grains and fruits, to ensure they don't consume too much phenylalanine. The warning is placed on any food that contains aspartame to let people with PKU know that they should avoid the product, as it can potentially be fatal for them to eat, similar to how most foods nowadays have the "may contain nuts, or was processed in a facility that also processes nuts" warning to inform people with nut allergies of potentially fatal issues with consuming a food that may have been contaminated with nuts.

Ahhh...gotcha.
  • AngryDiet
    AngryDiet Posts: 1,349 Member
    Options

!.) This isn't change for the sake of change in the case of the OP. It is a change she is choosing to make for the sake of improving her health and well being. You do not know everything, least of all about the health ramifications of diet sodas. For every study you can quote advocating it, someone else can post a quote condemning it. She believes it is best for her and it is her prerogative to make her own life decisions. She came here for support and to share something she was excited about.

I have not advocated diet sodas. Nor have I cited studies advocating diet sodas. Good luck finding those. The point is that there is no evidence that diet soda is bad for you either. Nothing reputable, anyway. There's plenty of quackery out there (and in here). And like that other poster, you seem unable to read, or at least comprehend what I've been saying. Tony Robbins would not be impressed. Then again maybe he would? I wouldn't know.
    2.) I doubt many people would advocate being contrary and antagonistic just for the sake of being contrary and antagonistic. But you are doing it anyway.

Mostly I'm pointing out the logical fallacies presented here, as well as the lack or reading comprehension of many of the posters here. If you feel like that is being antagonistic, then that's more about you than it is about me. Tony Robbins would not be impressed. Then again maybe he would? I wouldn't know.
    Don't bother responding if you want to antagonize me further. I am opting to ignore your profile after posting this. I have no place in my life or my MFP forums for your brand of useless, unproductive comments and negativity.

I doubt Tony Robbins would be impressed with you turning your back on information simply because you do not like the message, or the way it's presented. Then again maybe he would? I wouldn't know.

But good for you for being so closed minded that you willfully turn away from knowledge.

I think you're just angry that I find Tony Robbins funny.
  • Docmahi
    Docmahi Posts: 1,603 Member
    Options
    *popcorn*

In for all kinds of ludicrous medical claims

Yes. Loving this. HAHA. :laugh:

lol this thread went nuts while I was gone...

*more popcorn*
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options
    how bout encouraging the OP? or if you're not here to do that, why ARE you in this thread?

I question the validity of the claim hidden in this personal attack.

Is there actual value in encouraging someone on to do something completely pointless and without merit?
    yeah that wasn't a personal attack.

but anyway, no one - not even you - can prove that diet soda is GOOD for you, yes?

so what's wrong with getting rid of it on the off-chance all we crazy anti-aspartame people are actually right? she risks nothing in doing so, while you all are crossing your fingers and hoping science is serving you well this time.

I tried the science arguement on page 1. Good luck, it wasn't received well and summarily dismissed in favor of rumor and propaganda.
  • omaisilver
    Options
    I don't know about the "science stuff", I can only give advice based off of what I know... And that is that I have felt a whole lot healthier and looked and felt a lot less tummy bloated after I gave up diet soda. I used to drink soda to curb my sweet cravings: I could go through a liter of diet mountain dew a day. I just stopped drinking it one day, and I haven't gone back since.

Drinking water or tea (without a ton of added stuff into the tea) will always be healthier than drinking soda. Soda doesn't hydrate very well, and in my experience it causes you to look bloated.

If you don't like the taste of plain water, there are a lot of water flavors drops you can buy at the store now to flavor your water to your taste. I can't recommend these enough! The kind I use is made by Crystal Light. They have no calories, no sodium, and no sugar. They do use Acesulfame Potassium, which is an artificial sweetener, but from everything I've read it's very safe. As long as your water is mostly water and 2 drops sweetener, I don't really see any drawbacks.

I'll also go ahead and recommend Celestial Seasoning brand teas. People swear up and down the benefits of green tea, but I find that most of it is exaggerated. Unless you're drinking buckets of the stuff, it's not the miracle worker people claim it is. That being said, find a tea blend that you really enjoy and make it a part of your diet!

I felt a lot better after quitting soda, and I hope you do, too!
  • tigersword
    Options
    Ha. Don't drink soda with artificial sweetener, just drink water with an added artificial sweetener. Like there's a difference. And a soda will hydrate just as well as water or tea.
  • robotshorts
    Options
    source?