Things people do on the treadmill that bug you..

Options

Replies

• StephG1130
    StephG1130 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    i hate feeling like the person next to me is competing with me.

i'm insanely competitive, and get really discouraged if i feel like i'm not 'winning'. not being particularly fit, i rarely 'win', so ive gone to a deliberate effort to not go to the gym with people i know, because i'll just compare myself to them and end up feeling bad.

so when the stranger next to me is looking at my speed and incline and then bumping theirs up higher, it just makes me want to give up and go home!

Thisss!!! Omg I hate it!
  • KeepCalmNGetyaSweatOn
    KeepCalmNGetyaSweatOn Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    What I don't understand is that why can't people mind their own damn business? Who cares if some one runs loudly, or breathes to hard, or holds on to the grip bars. At least they're there and starting somewhere!!! Everyone has to start somewhere. To those who said they are new to this and don't need to hear or know that people are judging you while doing this, EFF them. If they're capable of watching people and judging them while exercising clearly they're not working out hard enough.
  • afabritz
    afabritz Posts: 2
    Options
    Why? Why is everyone answering this question? If things bother you in the gym then buy equipment to use in your own home! You don't own the place and everyone pays the same fee. Get over it and live in harmony! GEEEZZZZ.......Is this your focus in life people? My goodness, grow up and learn to share! Rant over...
  • afabritz
    afabritz Posts: 2
    Options
    A freakin MEN!
  • divincenzo1
    Options
    There are 2 things I hate most about other people on treadmills. The first is when 2 people are on next to each other and chat so loudly that it distracts me...usually I have my music cranked but still...tone it down a bit. The second is when people wear used "dirty" gym clothes. 2 minutes into their workout I can smell them and it's really disturbing....WOOF
  • Calliope610
    Calliope610 Posts: 3,775 Member
    Options
    Tell me! What things bug you when they are happening on the treadmill next to you?

One thing to start: When I'm running my miles, the rest of the treadmill people hold their handlebars as if they are in a supermarkt, pushing their cart!

That person on the treadmill next to you, hanging on for dear life, is ME.
    I have balance issues due to my MS, so I sometimes need to hang on so I don't fall off and get hurt.
    I want to be healthy in spite of my MS.

Sorry it bothers you so much.. maybe you should be less judgemental.......

^this^ YOU GO!
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    No Conversations while on the treadmill.

No conversations, no eye contact, look straight ahead, and take care of your own business.

Sounds like the "urinal rules" are applicable to treadmills too.
  • jofjltncb6
    Options
    Why? Why is everyone answering this question? If things bother you in the gym then buy equipment to use in your own home! You don't own the place and everyone pays the same fee. Get over it and live in harmony! GEEEZZZZ.......Is this your focus in life people? My goodness, grow up and learn to share! Rant over...

Crazy when people observe something in real life that amuses them (or bothers them) and then post about it online, right?

It seems very similar to how sometimes people observe something online that bothers them (or amuses them) and then post about it online...know what I mean?
  • dixiewhiskey
    dixiewhiskey Posts: 3,333 Member
    Options

Crazy when people observe something in real life that amuses them (or bothers them) and then post about it online, right?

It seems very similar to how sometimes people observe something online that bothers them (or amuses them) and then post about it online...know what I mean?

I've been saying exactly the same thing for a few pages now. Very few actually get it..
  • jrdouce
    jrdouce Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I was going to say nothing really, I tend to loose myself in my headphones on the treadmill, but Fan bug the hell out of me. I hate it when people point the fan in my direction. I don't want a blast of air whipped up from the gym floor, past sweaty feet and into my face.
  • Sunny____
    Sunny____ Posts: 214
    Options
    Not everyone can afford nor has the place in their home for a treadmill like the one at the gym. This is a lighthearted funny topic the OP asked. It's for entertainment purposes only.

I own a treadmill at home. I go to the gym to lift weights, bc I can't afford all of the weight equipment they have. For me to purchase all of that would be too much money right now. That said when I am done lifting at the gym, I then get on the treadmill as we are suppose to do cardio after a lifting session. There is a lady that has gotten on a treadmill next to me twice now and silently farts, the most sour smelling farts I have ever smelled in my life. It is like every 5 minutes they come out. THAT is what bothers me that people do at the gym on a treadmill.

Please lighten up before you kill yourself from negativity. Life should be fun. I am STILL going to use the treadmills at the gym. I have laughed at the comments here and want to thank everyone for the increased serotonin and endorphins from the humor.
  • evilmonkee
    evilmonkee Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Not wiping it off after they are done using it, and staying way past the allotted time they've signed up for when the gym is particularly busy and other people have signed up and are clearly waiting.
  • crystalflame
    crystalflame Posts: 1,049 Member
    Options
    I know this is a bike thing not a treadmill one - and I know gyms can be boring - but doing a crossword whilst cycling (slowly I might add)???
    Actually I once saw someone eating crisps - admittedly a skinny teenager but still....
    Sue

That's kind of a brilliant idea. I tend to spend an hour lying around doing crosswords with a glass of wine in the evening, maybe I should get a little extra movement in along with that. I wonder if anyone would object to me sipping on wine in the gym...
  • Eyesblu
    Eyesblu Posts: 60
    Options
    I love these threads.

What I hate is when the other members at my gym get on the treadmill and crank up the speed to an unsafe level...and then they hang onto the handlebars and lift themselves up so their feet are just barely touching. Or they'll jump onto the siderail...and then they'll watch the mileage add up and yell how many miles they're running. I argue with them that the machine counts that time where they're just standing there watching it. Sometimes they skip. And if I catch them not wearing the safety shut-off cord, I'll yell at them and make them stop using the treadmill. It's important that people know and adhere to these rules.

(My gym is in my basement and the other members are my children.)

ETA: As for observing other non-family member adults in public, just pay attention to your own business. Oh, sure, someone may do something noteworthy enough to warrant a post...but I suspect most of the things posted in this thread are remarkably trivial (although admittedly, I haven't made it through all ten pages yet).

And this made the thread all worth it for me!

so funny!
  • cortneysmissionpossible
    Options
    When people are paying more attention to what you are doing, than what they are doing themselves.

EXACTLY.
  • jofjltncb6
    Options
    (Before anyone points out my duplicity, yes, I realize that I've taken both "sides" of this issue. I generally don't think we should keep all of our thoughts to ourselves just because someone somewhere *might* be offended, but I also don't think we should post things that might dissuade someone from going to the gym. Apparently, instead of taking neither side while I reconcile the inconsistency, I'm taking both sides.)

Oh, and one more thing that bugs me about the treadmill: when people walk on it at a fairly slow meandering pace instead of sitting down and relaxing while watching a sporting event on TV just to increase their steps for fitbit...

...and by "people", I mean, "I".
  • MamaC77
    MamaC77 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    I hang on to the bars. Because that's what I feel comfortable doing. I didn't know that what I do has so much of a negative affect on everyone else. I guess I will stop. Nah...Probably not. It makes me laugh that people have so much time to think about what I am doing. Perhaps you should just do what you came to do and leave. I'm not there to impress anyone but myself.
  • Philllbis
    Philllbis Posts: 801 Member
    Options
    i hate feeling like the person next to me is competing with me.

i'm insanely competitive, and get really discouraged if i feel like i'm not 'winning'. not being particularly fit, i rarely 'win', so ive gone to a deliberate effort to not go to the gym with people i know, because i'll just compare myself to them and end up feeling bad.

so when the stranger next to me is looking at my speed and incline and then bumping theirs up higher, it just makes me want to give up and go home!

Thisss!!! Omg I hate it!
    I hate this too so I start patting my head and rubbing my stomach at the same time while hopping on one foot. Top that mother fudger!!!
  • justal313
    justal313 Posts: 1,375 Member
    Options
    The only thing that other people do on the treadmil that bothers me is if they take all the Treadmills that ARENT right under the AC blowers.

Now when I'm on the treadmill what bothers me is college aged girls stretching in front of me. I'm trying not to be a learing creeper, but they don't make it easy.

I can't wait for the snow and ice to be melted so I'm only going to the gym for weight training and I CAN RUN OUTSIDE
  • dixiewhiskey
    dixiewhiskey Posts: 3,333 Member
    Options
    Anyone else hate when they get sprayed?????? Not just sweat but the stuff you use to wipe down the machines with.