Meat & non-eat meaters (READ ME)

Options
I'm sure most all of you have heard of Morning Star foods.
Why not substitute?
On a night you're going to have burgers, why not have a vege burger? They are so delicious.
Chicken nuggets, why not Morning Stars?
So much less fat, no grease, all entirely healthy & delicious.

Yes, pricey. But who has burgers every night? Who has chicken nuggets every night? I know I don't. Though Morning Star is delicious.. & It does tempt me to make one. Yummy yummy substitution ;)

Replies

• lauren3101
    lauren3101 Posts: 1,853 Member
    Options
    Because tasty, tasty meat...
  • krissielynn87
    krissielynn87 Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    bacon?
  • JodiSheree
    Options
    Boca vegetarian burgers are also very delicious, and cheap.
  • msleanlegs
    msleanlegs Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    I'd eat Morning Star vegan burgers if they ditched the questionable ingredients.

MorningStar Farms® Grillers® Vegan Veggie Burgers
    Ingredients:
    WATER, TEXTURED SOY PROTEIN CONCENTRATE, CORN OIL, CONTAINS TWO PERCENT OR LESS OF AUTOLYZED YEAST EXTRACT, VEGETABLE GUM, NATURAL FLAVORS FROM VEGETABLE SOURCES, MALTODEXTRIN, SOY FIBER, SALT, CARRAGEENAN, POTATO STARCH, ONION POWDER, CARAMEL COLOR, DISODIUM INOSINATE, DISODIUM GUANYLATE, KONJAC FLOUR, SUNFLOWER OIL, SESAME SEED OIL, SOY SAUCE (WATER, SOYBEANS, WHEAT, SALT), CONCENTRATED ONION JUICE, ASCORBIC ACID, VINEGAR POWDER, CITRIC ACID, ASPARTIC ACID, MODIFIED CORN STARCH, MALIC ACID, SUCCINIC ACID, TARTARIC ACID, LACTIC ACID, WHEAT FLOUR, SOY LECITHIN.
  • stefa711
    stefa711 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    A lot of "meat replacers" are full of GMOs and un-natural ingredients to try and make them taste better. That's why I don't eat anything by Boca or Morningstar. Unless they are non-GMO project verified.
  • devilwhiterose
    devilwhiterose Posts: 1,157 Member
    Options
    Some of the ingredients are genetically modified...which is gross/bizarre/not normal.

Livestock is not. They may eat a partially GM diet...but to my knowledge, it doesn't transfer into their meat.

I'd rather eat a burger than a healthier version with GMO ingredients.
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options
    Because meat, poultry and pork are far more delicious and nutritious.
  • stefa711
    stefa711 Posts: 196 Member
    Options

Livestock is not. They may eat a partially GM diet...but to my knowledge, it doesn't transfer into their meat.
    You may want to look into that! Or simply go organic
  • devilwhiterose
    devilwhiterose Posts: 1,157 Member
    Options
    Because meat, poultry and pork are far more delicious and nutritious.

Yes!
  • wikitbikit
    wikitbikit Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    You have utterly abused the use of (READ ME). I am going to deliberately never, ever replace any meat with a vegetarian substitute for this reason alone. I had a recipe for red bean lasagna saved, but now? When Hades freezes over.

Congratulations.
  • nefbaker
    nefbaker Posts: 79
    Options
    edited to remove snarkiness.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    Why not substitute?
    On a night you're going to have burgers, why not have a vege burger? They are so delicious.

Yes, pricey. But who has burgers every night? Who has chicken nuggets every night? I know I don't. Though Morning Star is delicious.. & It does tempt me to make one. Yummy yummy substitution ;)

1) Because meat tastes better
    2) Meat is cheaper
    3) Because fresh tastes better
    4) Because there's no downside to meat

The implication in "why not substitute" is "this frozen meat-free product, made with about 35 ingredients, is inherently better in some undefined way than ground beef."

My question to you is:

Why substitute?
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    I'd eat Morning Star vegan burgers if they ditched the questionable ingredients.

MorningStar Farms® Grillers® Vegan Veggie Burgers
    Ingredients:
    WATER, TEXTURED SOY PROTEIN CONCENTRATE, CORN OIL, CONTAINS TWO PERCENT OR LESS OF AUTOLYZED YEAST EXTRACT, VEGETABLE GUM, NATURAL FLAVORS FROM VEGETABLE SOURCES, MALTODEXTRIN, SOY FIBER, SALT, CARRAGEENAN, POTATO STARCH, ONION POWDER, CARAMEL COLOR, DISODIUM INOSINATE, DISODIUM GUANYLATE, KONJAC FLOUR, SUNFLOWER OIL, SESAME SEED OIL, SOY SAUCE (WATER, SOYBEANS, WHEAT, SALT), CONCENTRATED ONION JUICE, ASCORBIC ACID, VINEGAR POWDER, CITRIC ACID, ASPARTIC ACID, MODIFIED CORN STARCH, MALIC ACID, SUCCINIC ACID, TARTARIC ACID, LACTIC ACID, WHEAT FLOUR, SOY LECITHIN.

Which ingredients are the questionable ones? I would have expected you to list the questionable ones, not all of them. Or are all of them questionable?
  • _noob_
    _noob_ Posts: 3,306 Member
    Options
    I don't give a rats *kitten* about eating a crop from hard working american farmers that has been made to be more drought and pest resistant and thus able to be produced more profitably and evironmentally friendly...
  • keem88
    keem88 Posts: 1,689 Member
    Options
    because morning star is gross and has way too many ingredients for something that is supposed to be "good" or "better" for you. seriously have you ever read the ingredient label on some of their products? it never ends!
    packaged burgers and products i go with quorn, meatless and soy free. their meatless grounds have just a few ingredients in it. or i make my own, it's cheaper that way.
    but yeah, as a vegetarian for almost 11 years...morning star sucks.
  • beautifulregardless
    Options
    "How do you know when someone's a vegetarian? Don't worry they'll tell you."

Lol, I'm not vegetarian. I love meat but trying to make healthier decisions.. Until everyones talking about this G stuff.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    Why not substitute?

1) Because meat tastes better
    2) Meat is cheaper
    3) Because fresh tastes better
    4) Because there's no downside to meat

The implication in "why not substitute" is "this frozen meat-free product, made with about 35 ingredients, is inherently better in some undefined way than ground beef."

My question to you is:

Why substitute?

Read my mind!!
  • NutellaAddict
    NutellaAddict Posts: 1,258 Member
    Options
    Interesting you say this but in your diary I see Jimmy Deans sausage. :sick:
  • beautifulregardless
    Options
    because morning star is gross and has way too many ingredients for something that is supposed to be "good" or "better" for you. seriously have you ever read the ingredient label on some of their products? it never ends!
    packaged burgers and products i go with quorn, meatless and soy free. their meatless grounds have just a few ingredients in it. or i make my own, it's cheaper that way.
    but yeah, as a vegetarian for almost 11 years...morning star sucks.

It does have a lot of ingredients.. lol
  • beautifulregardless
    Options
    bacon?

I don't know.. but bacon is delicious...