Meat & non-eat meaters (READ ME)

Options

Replies

• wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    I'm sure most all of you have heard of Morning Star foods.
    Why not substitute?
    On a night you're going to have burgers, why not have a vege burger? They are so delicious.
    Chicken nuggets, why not Morning Stars?
    So much less fat, no grease, all entirely healthy & delicious.

Yes, pricey. But who has burgers every night? Who has chicken nuggets every night? I know I don't. Though Morning Star is delicious.. & It does tempt me to make one. Yummy yummy substitution ;)

They are disgusting and not real food. I'll take the much healthier ground beef or chicken. Thanks.
  • beautifulregardless
    Options
    1. Because I don't want to.
    2. Because real meat is cheaper, healthier and, oh yeah, delicious.

Yum yum :) Enjoy.
  • busywaterbending
    busywaterbending Posts: 844 Member
    Options
    Why not substitute?
    On a night you're going to have burgers, why not have a vege burger? They are so delicious.

Yes, pricey. But who has burgers every night? Who has chicken nuggets every night? I know I don't. Though Morning Star is delicious.. & It does tempt me to make one. Yummy yummy substitution ;)

why? because I don't eat processed, FAKE proteins or Modified (gmo) foods. Heck. What you posted isn't even food.

Grass fed burgers everyday (except fridays) CHECK
    Free range organic chicken legs deep fried in coconut oil and a parmesean cheese "breading" CHECK

Looking Fn fabulous, cut at 12% body fat, and womanly 115 lbs? That's me. Thanks to my meat and greesey, oily diet you seem to not be that much into. Your loss.

As for morning star, I tried some of their breakfast stuff and their veggie burgers. Even their corn dogs. I still get nauseted remembering the horrible taste and the bloat. You can keep that if that is your thing for sure.
  • Hellbent_Heidi
    Hellbent_Heidi Posts: 3,669 Member
    Options
    I'd eat Morning Star vegan burgers if they ditched the questionable ingredients.

MorningStar Farms® Grillers® Vegan Veggie Burgers
    Ingredients:
    WATER, TEXTURED SOY PROTEIN CONCENTRATE, CORN OIL, CONTAINS TWO PERCENT OR LESS OF AUTOLYZED YEAST EXTRACT, VEGETABLE GUM, NATURAL FLAVORS FROM VEGETABLE SOURCES, MALTODEXTRIN, SOY FIBER, SALT, CARRAGEENAN, POTATO STARCH, ONION POWDER, CARAMEL COLOR, DISODIUM INOSINATE, DISODIUM GUANYLATE, KONJAC FLOUR, SUNFLOWER OIL, SESAME SEED OIL, SOY SAUCE (WATER, SOYBEANS, WHEAT, SALT), CONCENTRATED ONION JUICE, ASCORBIC ACID, VINEGAR POWDER, CITRIC ACID, ASPARTIC ACID, MODIFIED CORN STARCH, MALIC ACID, SUCCINIC ACID, TARTARIC ACID, LACTIC ACID, WHEAT FLOUR, SOY LECITHIN.
    Yeah, this sounds way better than .....bacon! :noway:
  • beautifulregardless
    Options
    I'm vegan and find this thread to be obnoxious.

What did you expect, OP? People to look up and say "yeah, you know that sounds like a great idea". All this does is gives people a venue to sing praises for meat.

Lol ... Drama, drama, drama.

It is obnoxious... Your comment is obnoxious too.
    So it's hypocritical of you to say the post is when you are.

Lol it's the INTERNET as I just typed. Relax, geesh. You don't like this topic? Click the X. That's the simple thing about the internet. You can SIMPLY x out your problem. Save the drama for real life, lol. But as most people do, it's easier to fight a battle over the internet, right? Hiding behind a screen?

If you don't like the comments on this thread ignore them instread of posting rude responses. Take your own advice.. ignore a response you don't like. It seems as though you seem to be greating more drama than anyone else posting on this thread.

Why ignore them if they are here? Posted towards me? Lol. She asked me a question, I answered it. I'm saying if you click on MY topic & don't like it? Go away then. Drop your opinion all you want but there's no reason to be rude. Now if I was rude to someone, they have 100% right to be rude to me but I wasn't. I was trying to help. But then she's rude? So I'll be rude too. :)

You were being rude. You called one person obnoxiuos and a few an *kitten*. How is that not being rude? Sure, this is your thread but it's posted in a public forum so whoever wants to comment can, regardless of whether you will like it or not. If people are being rude (which I haven't seen as of yet) let them... no need to react the same. People were commenting on the thread and the topic, not directly being rude to you.

Because those two were rude.

When I typed this post I was thinking it was a healthier decision & helping. OBVIOUSLY not. But however, they were directly rude. "What did you expect OP? Everyone to... " blah blah.. I had already answered a million times "Trying to help". So, why ask me if I was trying to get you all to argue? Why would I want you to? This place is where I come to get support and GIVE. Which I was trying to do. It's stupid to question me & ask me if I made this post for people to fight when I posted previously TO HELP. Why would I POST SOMETHING TO FIGHT? I would not.
  • ThePersnicketyOtter
    ThePersnicketyOtter Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    They are more expensive, high in sodium and not natural foods. They are not healthy.

If you want meat, health-wise you're better off just eating real meat. If you just happen to like the veggie burgers and stuff that brands like Morning Star sell, that's cool too, I know I do sometimes. But it's two totally different foods in my mind.

On the other hand, I LOVE eating Morning Star bacon strips frozen.
  • redraidergirl2009
    redraidergirl2009 Posts: 2,560 Member
    Options

I have to disagree on it being cheaper and delicious.

When I used to buy meat I was paying $6 a pound for lean ground. I pay far less for proteins now. Imo many vegetarian products taste the same as regular or better. Personally I prefer gardien to morningstar.
  • krisiepoo
    krisiepoo Posts: 710 Member
    Options
    cuz they taste like processed crap?
  • redraidergirl2009
    redraidergirl2009 Posts: 2,560 Member
    Options
    Well I see this thread getting locked soon due to the name calling.
  • ultraplop
    ultraplop Posts: 30
    Options
    I'd have to look a few of those morning star ingredients up but there are a couple that are enough for me to not eat it on a regular basis:

Autolyzed yeast extract is a very suspect ingredient in my book (msg), as is anything with "Natural Flavors" on its list. When a company puts that on there, it basically means that they don't want to tell you what nasty thing it is.
  • Julettashane
    Julettashane Posts: 723 Member
    Options
    Why not substitute?

1) Because meat tastes better
    2) Meat is cheaper
    3) Because fresh tastes better
    4) Because there's no downside to meat

The implication in "why not substitute" is "this frozen meat-free product, made with about 35 ingredients, is inherently better in some undefined way than ground beef."

My question to you is:

Why substitute?

Read my mind!!

exactly!!
  • meredith1123
    meredith1123 Posts: 843 Member
    Options
    Why not substitute?

oh and morning stars has some mini corn dogs bites that are super awesome, even my 4 year old loves them!!!
  • meredith1123
    meredith1123 Posts: 843 Member
    Options
    I can't eat most meat substitute products because I'm gluten free and have an MSG sensitivity.

AUTOLYZED YEAST EXTRACT has a high level of MSG, its what makes the brain think that this product has a "meaty" taste.

So - that's a no go for me. Also the soy sauce contains wheat. A lot of other brands use barley malt, which is also a no-go for the gluten free. The main ingredient in Gardein is wheat gluten. So - the main brands available in most grocery stores - Gardein, Morningstar, and Boca are not gluten safe.

That said, there are gluten free vegetarian burger options that are gluten free and soy free. SOL Cuisine makes a really tasty one made out of mushrooms and rice. However, to get products requires a specialty trip to Whole Foods or another "natural food store" where they are often expensive compared to the nutrition and satisfaction gained from them. So - for meat once or twice a week, is a more feasible and budget friendly option than paying to kind-of enjoy a $5.99 box of gluten-free veggie burgers.

That said, last time I was at Whole Foods, I had a portabello mushroom burger with cheese and pineapple on it, and it was the delish.
    speaking of portabello mushrooms - take one of those mushrooms and use it as a crust for pizza and youve got yourself a winning low fat pizza. Just put on your favorite toppings and roast in oven for like 15 minutes. YUmmaaaayyy
  • Julettashane
    Options

I have to disagree on it being cheaper and delicious.

When I used to buy meat I was paying $6 a pound for lean ground. I pay far less for proteins now. Imo many vegetarian products taste the same as regular or better. Personally I prefer gardien to morningstar.

ive tried the vegetarian stuff none taste better or the same but some are ok i did find a few things that i could eat without it bothering me but id much rather eat free range chicken or grass fed beef or just anything else thats real meat
  • deniseblossoms
    deniseblossoms Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    For myself I'm not going to buy something processed, comprised of dubious ingredients and packaged then frozen when I can visit a nice butcher shop and get some tasty meat that is relatively fresh and even better whole as nature intended.
  • Julettashane
    Options
    Why not substitute?

oh and morning stars has some mini corn dogs bites that are super awesome, even my 4 year old loves them!!!

i wanted to try those and the chicken nuggets
  • Fairysoul
    Fairysoul Posts: 1,361 Member
    Options
    IMO as being a former vegetarian, the morning star and veggie patties are just another processed food. Why not eat something like maybe elk burger that you know is natural. I vote for all foods that can be found in nature, nothing that comes from a factory. JUst me though everyone has their own opinions and I respect that.
  • Elzecat
    Elzecat Posts: 2,916 Member
    Options
    I've got nothing against having vegetarian or vegan meals, but I don't really want a meat substitute. There are so many other, I think better choices.

^^^^^
  • Sqeekyjojo
    Sqeekyjojo Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    Why not substitute?

Nah, you're alright. I'll just have some fresh vegetables instead of whatever that is in that packet.

Why don't you consider substituting your processed meat imitation for some fresh cooked lean animal flesh instead? Or would that be offensive to you to be told what to eat?

Works both ways, you see....
  • Kaylaef
    Kaylaef Posts: 194 Member
    Options

1) Because meat tastes better
    2) Meat is cheaper
    3) Because fresh tastes better
    4) Because there's no downside to meat

The implication in "why not substitute" is "this frozen meat-free product, made with about 35 ingredients, is inherently better in some undefined way than ground beef."

My question to you is:

Why substitute?

Read my mind!!

Fantastic. Thats how I feel. I was a vegetarian for years! 6 years actually, and when I was a vegetarian I was my heaviest! Eating all those meat free subs and my purse was empty. I thought it was healthier (never did it for the oh no animals--my dads a butcher) reason. I thought it would help me lose some poundage. It did for a while, then BANG! back on with 20 more. Screw it, Im going to stick my my perfectly butchered, responsibly sourced meat. The keeps me full and has one ingrediant. Also...Bacon.