Cardio doesn't burn fat!!!

Options

Replies

• cliver67
    cliver67 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I do cardio so when zombies or a kidnapper chases after me, I can out run them. Seems beneficial to me.

anyone who has seen Zombieland knows this to be true!
  • Cyclink
    Cyclink Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    I guess someone forgot to tell my body that cardio does not burn fat.

I lost 26 pounds cyclist, without setting foot in a weight room, and lost 6% in body fat while I was at it.

Not to mention, almost none of that was in the BS "fat burning" zone.
  • Spokez70
    Spokez70 Posts: 548 Member
    Options
    I started early last year by just walking the dog- that's it. But by spring that turned into bike riding around my neighborhood...and then by summer I was cycling and mountain biking and adding in some isolation type weight lifting a few times a week. This year I bought a power cage and Olympic weight set for my garage and have been doing the StrongLifts program on top of riding. Everyone has to start out somewhere and while your post has good intentions it sucks because too many people will just read it as 'cardio is pointless' and use it as an excuse to not get off the couch.
  • squindles
    squindles Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    It's good you enjoy cardio. But I think 90% of people look at it as torture. Ask any random overweight person at your gym how "high" they're feeling while they huff and puff on the treadmill, their facial expression should give you an idea.
    [/quote]

I don't have my "high" whilst I'm huffing and puffing exercising, but I certainley do AFTER I've finished!!! :smile:
  • rovernio
    rovernio Posts: 157
    Options
    i dont do alot of cardio when i do i do hiit training for like 5 minutes i dont need cardio to be fit and lean
  • CherryLoveLove
    Options
    I do cardio so when zombies or a kidnapper chases after me, I can out run them. Seems beneficial to me.

Finally, someone who runs for the same reason as me ^^
  • fizzy123
    fizzy123 Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    swordfight.gif

This ⇈⇈
  • med2017
    med2017 Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    you seem to have much scientific knowledge, good for you. just forget what doctors tell you, completely ignore medical research and basics of human physiology, right? because what does a cardiologist know about lifting huh, your ripped and thats all that matters right? :grumble: :noway:

shame on you for posting such an ignorant comment. i am appalled.
    just go pump weights and be the typical bro and please don't ever write anything like this again, because some people might believe what you said and then they will follow the leader.
  • never124get
    never124get Posts: 163
    Options
    It's good you enjoy cardio. But I think 90% of people look at it as torture. Ask any random overweight person at your gym how "high" they're feeling while they huff and puff on the treadmill, their facial expression should give you an idea.

It may hurt like hell when I'm doing it and I say swear words under my breath the whole time but I DO get a high, a second wind kicks in and I feel on top of the world when I do cardio, I breath better, I feel energized, I feel my blood flowing, it is a HIGH. Just because I'm over weight doesn't mean anything dude...we all start somewhere right? The benefits of cardio are great and I have been doing cardio this whole time and have been losing weight. I plan on adding in strength training soon as well but don't diss my cardio or my love of it even though I'm not in shape....yet.
  • med2017
    med2017 Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    neverargue.png

this is beautiful.
  • never124get
    never124get Posts: 163
    Options
    actually there should be a mixture of cardio and weight training, i'm over 200lbs if weight training were my only form of exercise i'd look like a beefed up man. no thanks :indifferent:

Untrue. You lack the testosterone to bulk, especially when you have a caloric deficit. People don`t accidentally look like fitness models.

Some women have higher levels of testosterone and can certainly bulk up, even without a high calorie intake. I came across a picture of me 20 yrs ago when I was lifting, and I look like a linebacker! I was actually losing weight during that time, slowly, but it was coming off. I am very muscular, genetically, and it doesn't take much for my muscles to respond.

YEP. Women with PCOS (polycystic ovarian syndrom) like me :grumble:

But I am on medication to level out my hormones. But I also don't want to be skinny, I want to be FIT. Muscle looks good. :bigsmile:
  • Rebekah718
    Rebekah718 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    All studies done on aerobics show that they don't significantly accelerate fat loss than dieting alone. Why then whenever someone wants to lose fat or "get abs" they jump on the elliptical and start swinging and sweating thinking it's a great idea?? The only benefit is basically allowing you to eat more food. That's it. I doubt they're doing it for the cardiovascular benefits either. So if by the end of the day you're at a caloric deficit, you will lose the same amount of fat with or without cardio.

Weight lifting on the other hand has been shown to accelerate fat loss by up to 50% than dieting alone or dieting and cardio. I really genuinely feel sad when I see someone doing an hour or two of cardio on my news feed, and it's for all the wrong reasons..

You did give me so etching to think about I think I might try more weight lifting thanks for your post.
  • JoshuaL86
    JoshuaL86 Posts: 403 Member
    Options

yupp. I've lost 23 pounds in about 3 months, diet and cardio, no weight lifting...soo....yeah....I guess I'll keep dropping in weight but stay fat forever, cuz according to this guy I'm doing it wrong *rolls eyes*
    It may not be true in your case but even though you lost weight it could be a combination of fat and muscle. You may weigh less but have the same body fat %

^^ Broscience
  • DelilaLightfoot
    Options
    Some people (of which I am one) definitely don't enjoy exercise but that doesn't mean they don't appreciate the effect or benefit it will have on their overall sense of well-being.

Perhaps I am being a bit simplistic here but surely if lack of exercise results in weight gain then increasing exercise is very likely to result in weight loss? A big factor in the increasing levels of obesity in children is frequently quoted as being down to their more sedentary lifestyles and lack of aerobic activity isn't it?
  • SadKitty27
    SadKitty27 Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    When I do work out it's usually 3 times a week and about 45 mins on the elliptical at a very fast pace. I haven't been able to do so lately because I've had a crash course to pass a state exam, and then had the flu for two weeks. Despite all this I've lost weight...I lose weight even when I don't exercise, oh and I never eat any calories lost back after a work out....

That being said, I'm mostly sedentary, and the cardio is pretty beneficial to my heart; last time I checked that's a pretty important muscle.
  • JosieJo2000
    JosieJo2000 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    actually there should be a mixture of cardio and weight training, i'm over 200lbs if weight training were my only form of exercise i'd look like a beefed up man. no thanks :indifferent:

Untrue. You lack the testosterone to bulk, especially when you have a caloric deficit. People don`t accidentally look like fitness models.

Some women have higher levels of testosterone and can certainly bulk up, even without a high calorie intake. I came across a picture of me 20 yrs ago when I was lifting, and I look like a linebacker! I was actually losing weight during that time, slowly, but it was coming off. I am very muscular, genetically, and it doesn't take much for my muscles to respond.

People are always saying "ladies don't bulk up" but I see plenty of women at the gym and group fitness instructors who look like men. Big, bulky calves, massive shoulders and backs, bulging arms and thighs. Not criticising, they look fit and healthy and obviously enjoy it. But as this poster says, the female linebacker does exist!
  • ChaseAlder
    ChaseAlder Posts: 804 Member
    Options
    I'm pretty sure it's aaaaall good.
  • redraidergirl2009
    redraidergirl2009 Posts: 2,560 Member
    Options
    Too bad the point of exercise isn't just about burning fat.
  • larabell69
    Options
    I too love how I feel after cardio!! I do light weights 1 or 2 week and still have lost weight , inches and feel awesome! we are all different and have different goals so to say cardio is not working is crazy!!
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,503 Member
    Options
    People are always saying "ladies don't bulk up" but I see plenty of women at the gym and group fitness instructors who look like men. Big, bulky calves, massive shoulders and backs, bulging arms and thighs. Not criticising, they look fit and healthy and obviously enjoy it. But as this poster says, the female linebacker does exist!
    I think it's time to distinguish what "muscular" and "bulky" are in definitive terms.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/511229--bulky-vs-muscular-the-real-definition?hl=bulky+vs+muscular

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition