Can't BELIEVE this guy said this about a size 8 / Medium!

Options

Replies

• 1ConcreteGirl
    1ConcreteGirl Posts: 3,677 Member
    Options
    Wow what an over exaggeration.

I literally wrote something out and then I deleted it because you're one of THOSE females.

:smokin: Chill out doll.

How can you know if it was an over-exaggeration from an internet post?

This guy was being disrespectful, NOT funny. I love and celebrate humor but the guy said it with a completely serious tone.

Most of my jokes are made with a serious face. That's what makes them funny.
  • whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,026 Member
    Options
    I would have awkwardly chuckled and continued to help him find what he was looking for, after all that is her job. It would be inappropriate to lecture him.

And this would have been an appropriate response.
  • wikitbikit
    wikitbikit Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    It wasn't misogynistic at all. Don't be ridiculous.
    Oh. What is suggesting that a woman of a certain size or larger is automatically divorced? Aside from, in your opinion, a joke?

BTW, if it were the other way around, woman speaking to male sales clerk, I would feel precisely the same way, except I would call it misandry.
  • whierd
    Options

I literally wrote something out and then I deleted it because you're one of THOSE females.

This guy was being disrespectful, NOT funny. I love and celebrate humor but the guy said it with a completely serious tone.

It is how you weed out the dumb people.
  • Seajolly
    Seajolly Posts: 1,435 Member
    Options

I wasn't referring to him, I was referring to you. I actually would've laughed because it's pretty damn funny.

You just HAD to post it on a forum...? That's called over reacting.

People post that they just had a bowel movement on here, it's not that serious! People can post whatever they like and can choose to comment on whatever they like. If you don't like it, why not just stop commenting?
  • morticiamom
    morticiamom Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    The best reply to a comment like that is:

"A great happiness for the woman."
  • ChloeRoseLejeune
    Options

I wasn't referring to him, I was referring to you. I actually would've laughed because it's pretty damn funny.

You just HAD to post it on a forum...? That's called over reacting.

People post that they just had a bowel movement on here, it's not that serious! People can post whatever they like and can choose to comment on whatever they like. If you don't like it, why not just stop commenting?

You don't have to like something to comment on it. Comments can be negative or positive in case you didn't know that.
  • vashnic
    vashnic Posts: 93
    Options
    Making fun of women for not being an arbitrarily small size? SO WITTY. I've worked customer service and had to grit my teeth and smile through nasty customers to keep job/boss happy, but it doesn't make it alright.
  • whierd
    Options
    Oh. What is suggesting that a woman of a certain size or larger is automatically divorced? Aside from, in your opinion, a joke?

BTW, if it were the other way around, woman speaking to male sales clerk, I would feel precisely the same way, except I would call it misandry.

Misogyny is the hatred of women. Assuming he wasn't joking, disliking or not being attracted to larger women isn't misogyny. That is what we call shallow.
  • JJordon
    JJordon Posts: 857 Member
    Options
    People are more than their bodies. But to some, the superficial form is all there is. I mean a nice, looking temple adds to the attractiveness of someone but it doesn't replace their attitude completely. My ex-fiance for example, great looking lady, but her attitude stunk. She sneered and hated on everything, it diminished her, honestly, and she didn't care.
  • 1ConcreteGirl
    1ConcreteGirl Posts: 3,677 Member
    Options

It is how you weed out the dumb people.

I would agree, but that would be offensive to the dumb community.
  • whierd
    Options
    To add fuel to the fire:

Assuming this guy was being a jerk, what sort of woman does that make his wife to have married a jerk like that?
  • JustJennie1
    JustJennie1 Posts: 3,843 Member
    Options

And his comment automatically means he hates women? Please.
  • Chichitas12
    Options
    Wow what an *kitten*! I would kill to be a solid, lean toned 8. You would be fit but still have some booty and curve left on you!
  • MsDover
    MsDover Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    It got me thinking... If I were her what would I have done or said to him? In hindsight she said she wished she had said "Our company is all about encouraging people to live a happy, healthy life. Your comment is disrespectful towards women. A size 8 is a perfectly healthy size and I am very offended by your comment. You can either apologize to me as a size 8 woman, or leave my store immediately."

Yeah, your friend probably shouldn't work in customer service without having thicker skin.

I hate to say this because he was clearly a jerk, but unless it truly is HER store (that is, she owns it) you just plain can't interact with a customer the way you're suggesting or you'd be out of a job fast. He has a skewed viewpoint on what women should look like. That's his problem and any women he gets involved with. In customer service you have to be able to let stuff like this roll off or you'll go nuts. If you react, you'll be unemployed.
  • JustJennie1
    Options
    This thread makes me realize that years ago when my husband was told he didn't belong in Layne Bryant he should have been offended because they assumed his wife was thin when she might not have been.
  • bbbgamer
    bbbgamer Posts: 582 Member
    Options
    its hard enough for men to buy clothes for a woman, this sales person probably confused the hell out of him with her size is an extra large here and a size 10 is an ginormous and all heard was blah blah blah and couldnt take it anymore. ....
  • wikitbikit
    wikitbikit Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    Misogyny is the hatred of women. Assuming he wasn't joking, disliking or not being attracted to larger women isn't misogyny. That is what we call shallow.
    If by "we" you mean you, ok. Not being attracted to is one thing, but disliking? Disliking women because they are larger than a particular size. Yeah, sorry, that sounds pretty misogynistic to me. Just because a few special ladies are tolerated due to their perceived aesthetic perfection doesn't mean someone's not a misogynist.

Anyway, that's my two cents. Have a good one.
  • lilacinfinity
    lilacinfinity Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    I would have patted my hips and said "more cushion for the pushin'"
  • JustJennie1
    Options
    It got me thinking... If I were her what would I have done or said to him? In hindsight she said she wished she had said "Our company is all about encouraging people to live a happy, healthy life. Your comment is disrespectful towards women. A size 8 is a perfectly healthy size and I am very offended by your comment. You can either apologize to me as a size 8 woman, or leave my store immediately."

Yeah, your friend probably shouldn't work in customer service without having thicker skin.

Customer service does not equal turning a blind eye to disrespectful *kitten*.

And I am sure her boss and the owner of the store would have been thrilled that she tossed out a customer who was going to buy something.

People need to chill out and stop taking everything so seriously.

I AM the boss. Have I ever tossed out someone from my store? No. Have others stores in my company? Yes, actually. We stand up for our employees and will take a stand if someone feels threatened. Was this a threatening situation? No, but it might have been if I had asked that guy to leave. :wink:

Sorry. I didn't realize you were the company owner. Oops!

It still didn't warrant a nasty tongue lashing or being kicked out. Not everyone who walks into your establishment is going to be nice and if you kick everyone out because you don't like a comment they made then you won't have any more customers.