MFP not helping or showing support, just being rude!

Options

Replies

• moustache_flavored_lube
    Options
    I'm not touching you
    not-touching-you.jpg
  • jezzi16
    jezzi16 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    HIPPO"D

*****es just be hungry.
  • bluefox9er
    bluefox9er Posts: 2,917 Member
    Options
    And on the flip side , there are a load of stickied threads above for Newbies to read, so that they understand how MFP is designed to work.

And a search function.

I would recommend any new people to take the time to read those stickies, and also try searching first before asking a question, as many of the rude answers are because old timers are fed up of seeing the same questions repeated time and time again.

So if people do a bit of reasearch, they can find their answer without getting a "WTF not this question again!!", which could put them off asking next time they have a question.

actually, MFP encourages asking the question even if it has been asked previously.
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options

People should remember the old saying, "if you can't say anything nice, don't say anything at all". If you don't agree with something, you can say it in a polite manner.
    The thing is, there is no universal standard of what "nice" or "polite" means, and "nice" does not necessarily equate to kind, helpful or supportive.

You are right. There is no standard anymore, everything is "relative" these days.

Everything has always been relative.

There have always been blunt people, smart people, nerdy people, needy people, nice people, mean people, honest people, dishonest people, etc. And people have always had preferences about the type of people they liked or didn't like. That's why/how we have always chosen mates, friends, clans, etc. It's all about what's relative. That's what makes us human.
  • tryinghard71
    Options
    And on the flip side , there are a load of stickied threads above for Newbies to read, so that they understand how MFP is designed to work.

And a search function.

I would recommend any new people to take the time to read those stickies, and also try searching first before asking a question, as many of the rude answers are because old timers are fed up of seeing the same questions repeated time and time again.

So if people do a bit of reasearch, they can find their answer without getting a "WTF not this question again!!", which could put them off asking next time they have a question.

actually, MFP encourages asking the question even if it has been asked previously.

I don't think anyone should be made to feel bad because they asked a question instead of looking in search. When I was new I did not know what the search was even for. I was just trying to figure things out.
  • sherrirb
    sherrirb Posts: 1,714 Member
    Options
    I'm eating 700 calories a day! "I completely support your decision."

I'm not going to eat for 30 days! "I completely support your decision."

I'm cutting out every food group I can think of! "I completely support your decision."

I'm doing a juice cleanse/not eating for a week/trying diet pills! "I completely support your decisions."

That site would be useless to all of us. This is what some of you want. It's baffling.

Quirky, the thing that you are possibly not considering is how many of the posts with ^^ these type of statements are made by people that are actually making fun of other people's posts, but I dont see REAL posts in this manner.

I see people posting, "I'm considering this, has anyone tried it? Your thoughts on it?" I do NOT see people wanting validation for things like you've posted above.
  • _SusieQ_
    _SusieQ_ Posts: 2,964 Member
    Options
    Why do people continue to get their panties in a bunch over a words on a screen? Seriously, some people are asshats and say rude things and think they are funny. But most of the "rude" ones are really just trying to give sound advice albiet sometimes with sarcasm.

If you get your feelings hurt so easily by strangers on the internet, stay off the forums. Or just laugh them off and take the advice you really want to hear anyway.
  • quirkytizzy
    quirkytizzy Posts: 4,052 Member
    Options
    I'm eating 700 calories a day! "I completely support your decision."

I'm not going to eat for 30 days! "I completely support your decision."

I'm cutting out every food group I can think of! "I completely support your decision."

I'm doing a juice cleanse/not eating for a week/trying diet pills! "I completely support your decisions."

That site would be useless to all of us. This is what some of you want. It's baffling.

Quirky, the thing that you are possibly not considering is how many of the posts with ^^ these type of statements are made by people that are actually making fun of other people's posts, but I dont see REAL posts in this manner.

I see people posting, "I'm considering this, has anyone tried it? Your thoughts on it?" I do NOT see people wanting validation for things like you've posted above.

I do, all the time. "Please don't post unless you have experience in this", often for methods that are absolutely dangerous or completely useless. Also when being told "No, and here's why that won't work." Rude is often the next post of the OP.
  • Melroxsox
    Melroxsox Posts: 1,040 Member
    Options
    ive been here a long time, and dont judge others so harshly. you're unfortunately finding all the wrong people;) feel free to add me:)
  • homerjspartan
    homerjspartan Posts: 1,893 Member
    Options
    If we are posting something that is wrong, don't say we are stupid, don't call us names, just politely correct us so we can see the kind of success we are hoping for. Isn't that why we are all here?? To see success??

Has anyone actually called you stupid? What names have you been called?

It happens all the time. Here is just a short list of the names I have been called -

Cheap, lying, no-good, rotten, four-flushing, low-life, snake-licking, dirt-eating, inbred, overstuffed, ignorant, blood-sucking, dog-kissing, brainless, d!ckless, hopeless, heartless, fat-*kitten*, bug-eyed, stiff-legged, spotty-lipped, worm-headed sack of monkey *kitten*.
  • ZoeLifts
    ZoeLifts Posts: 10,347 Member
    Options
    OP has still yet to offer up (or even participate again) examples of these name calling posts. Perhaps they have all been blocked and removed by the mods? We will assume so.

Name calling - yeah, that's pretty rude and uncalled for. I've seen it a few times, but that's it. It should be reported.

But name calling =/= giving advice in a straightforward manner, i.e. eat more than 200 calories today or you are going to have major health issues (which is how most of those replies are given). Most of the people that complain about "rudeness" on MFP are actually complaining about the delivery of the message, which is not actually rudeness, nor is it bullying. Or they are upset because they are not recieving validation for their poor choices.

It is just how that person delivers information and how the OP receives the information. If we could control these factors, I guess then we could all just get along and unicorns would fart rainbows that smell like cotton candy.

TZ2Mrih.gif
  • yo_andi
    yo_andi Posts: 2,178 Member
    Options
    I rarely see people being rude or calling names. I do see people being honest, sharing experiences, and sharing knowledge, whether it's welcomed or not.

Usually, those sharing knowledge from that same honest, "I'm-Not-Going-To-Blow-Smoke-Up-Yer-Bum" place have been there, done that, failed, tried again, found a different, better, common-sense, non-magical-bullet-unicorn-glitter-rainbow way and would like to help you get there too. Instead, they're made out to be single-minded (because they "preach" a method that actually works), they are made out to be bullies (because they won't blow smoke up your what'sits) and rude (because they're honest). It works both ways, OP. It works both ways.

Good luck getting to where you need to be without listening to the "rude bully" types. Eventually, you'll see.
  • quirkytizzy
    Options

It happens all the time. Here is just a short list of the names I have been called -

Cheap, lying, no-good, rotten, four-flushing, low-life, snake-licking, dirt-eating, inbred, overstuffed, ignorant, blood-sucking, dog-kissing, brainless, d!ckless, hopeless, heartless, fat-*kitten*, bug-eyed, stiff-legged, spotty-lipped, worm-headed sack of monkey *kitten*.

I hope you haven't been called those here. That said, at least bonus points for creativity? I don't think I could come up with half of those.
  • Pixi_Rex
    Pixi_Rex Posts: 1,676 Member
    Options
    Awww muffin.... Seriously pull up the big girl/boy pants and move on.

NOT everyone is here to be all hand holdy and lovey. Some of us are just not that way, get over it. Find people like minded and ignore the rest its really the easiest way to deal with the internet.
  • ZoeLifts
    ZoeLifts Posts: 10,347 Member
    Options
    If we are posting something that is wrong, don't say we are stupid, don't call us names, just politely correct us so we can see the kind of success we are hoping for. Isn't that why we are all here?? To see success??

Halleluiah, holy *kitten*....Where's the tylenol?
  • Ashleigh_LP
    Ashleigh_LP Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I agree.

I find it quite funny that people have such strong opinions. Correct me if i am wrong, but we can't all be fitness and nutrition experts or else we wouldn't be on here to try and lose weight in the first place?
  • LoraF83
    Options

You've been called those names on the forums? I hope you reported the posters in question.
  • __RANDY__
    __RANDY__ Posts: 1,036 Member
    Options
    it's not being rude, we call it tough love.
  • LoraF83
    Options
    I agree.

I find it quite funny that people have such strong opinions. Correct me if i am wrong, but we can't all be fitness and nutrition experts or else we wouldn't be on here to try and lose weight in the first place?

There are some people here who I could consider to be experts.

They are generally the ones with the awesome bodies and tickers that show they have reached their goals. I like to take advice from them.
  • quirkytizzy
    Options
    I agree.

No. But we can easily see that many of the methods that posters try are not healthy. Starvation, diet pills, etc etc. In absolutely no way am I going to be supportive or coddle those who insist on those methods.

Anyone interested in health should not, either.
This discussion has been closed.