MFP not helping or showing support, just being rude!

Options

Replies

• Just2Bhappy
    Just2Bhappy Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    I see this all to often. I have asked a question a couple of times and gotten very rude responses. It's discouraging. If they can't pick on you for what your saying then they find the smallest typo and go all grammar police on you. Anything to just be right and make you feel your stupid and wrong.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    I have been here almost two years and have seen a few rude people...but they are almost always squelched in a matter of days/weeks. MFP mods/staff do not tolerate rudeness. I'd love to be able to ask people to share the names of these rude people, but that would be against the rules...so instead, please send me a PM with a list of these rude people. If it's truly rudeness, I'll do whatever I can (as a lowly member of MFP) to help rid the forums of this problem.

However, I suspect what many are considering rudeness is simply directness. It may even be as simple as someone who has an opinion that differs from yours.

And now, I'll go read through the EIGHT pages of replies to see which direction this thread went.

ETA:

I see that someone better said what I wanted to say much earlier in this thread:
    Do you have an example of someone being called stupid (or any other name)?

I'd like to see that link.

I think what happens more frequently is this:

There are a lot of successful people here who have done the research and achieved great results themsevles. Someone else will ask a question about cleanses, shakes, pills, etc, and a successful person will bluntly tell them why it's bad. The problem is that people don't like to hear that they are wrong. So, they get upset about it and think they are being bullied.

That said, if someone is actually calling names or being ridiculously mean to someone else, that behavior should be reported. I'd like to see an example of that though. I'm on the forums quite a bit and I have only seen it a few times - and the mods have always dealt with it right away.
  • StheK
    StheK Posts: 443 Member
    Options
    And on the flip side , there are a load of stickied threads above for Newbies to read, so that they understand how MFP is designed to work.

And a search function.

I would recommend any new people to take the time to read those stickies, and also try searching first before asking a question, as many of the rude answers are because old timers are fed up of seeing the same questions repeated time and time again.

So if people do a bit of reasearch, they can find their answer without getting a "WTF not this question again!!", which could put them off asking next time they have a question.

I agree with this wholeheartedly. It's true that a lot of people here are just jerks, but it's also true that it is very frustrating to see the same questions posted over and over and over again. Like the 1200 calorie question. We all know how that thread is going to play out- it would be a relief if new people looked up historical threads on that topic instead of tossing it back in the ring to drive us all crazy all over again. And again. And again.
  • Silver_Star
    Silver_Star Posts: 1,351 Member
    Options
    I was a newbie once....still am in many ways....What i suggest is you read up as much as you can, using the search function...read people's responses, especially those that have been around for a long time, with much success. Their answers will be more helpful.
  • Tristin_T
    Options
    There's a post in the message boards soliciting friends that are supportive, positive and routinely use MFP - I added about 20 people who responded to that post, and it's made all the difference. If you need info, post to your friends first - they are your tribe, your support group. They want you to succeed. Outside of your friends, you're venturing into unknown territory. Competition, know-it-alls, doubters, haters - you don't need their input. So focus on a small group of people you've chosen and delete whoever is not serving you. Cheers to you!
  • Fozzi43
    Fozzi43 Posts: 2,984 Member
    Options
    People get butthurt too easily.
    In MY opinion.
  • Just2Bhappy
    Just2Bhappy Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    This is a personal favorite, and maybe a cautionary tale of why it might not be a good idea to help a new person:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/915530-so-confused

That person overreacted. A LOT
  • quirkytizzy
    quirkytizzy Posts: 4,052 Member
    Options
    And another. http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/915303-soup-diet?page=2

I have 20 pages of post history. I could pull out multiple threads where they felt we were being treated rudely but were actually being told "No. Try this instead."

Another where being told "No" got people called out as rude. http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/913100-is-it-ok-to-eat-around-500-calories-a-day?page=7

And so on and so forth.

If this is ya'll's version of rude, then please do not respond to these posts. They do not need support for their ideas. They need to be told no and given alternate solutions.
  • AQ3107
    AQ3107 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Like I just asked what a pop tart is and someone just mocked me.

I mean like c'mon like I am 18 man and he's like 100 or something and he still mocked me.
    That's dead uncool.
    What's the complaint procedures around here?
  • MireyGal76
    MireyGal76 Posts: 7,334 Member
    Options
    on average... people here are just mean. :) <~~~ geek play on words

A few scenarios I have seen play out...

- typically, not always, but typically the "mean" responses don't start until page 3 or 4 of a thread, and that is often after the OP returns guns a blazing and shoots down everyone who has offered anything remotely contrary to their statement. If respect is offered to differing viewpoints, the thread often goes along pretty well, with the occasional grump thrown in.

- the OP doesn't take the time to word their first post well... and it comes across as rude, insulting, or obnoxious... this brings those with finely tuned sarcasm to the surface, and the fun begins... and YES, a lot of it is actually meant in fun

- the OP words their post in such a way that it is unclear whether they are being sarcastic and having fun, or if they're actually serious. In this case, you'll have "meanies" responding in turn with sarcasm and again having fun, but without intending any harm to the OP. These posts are often originating in the CHIT CHAT section, and therefore the assumption is made by many that it is a "fun" post

- the OP creates a topic (intentionally or unintentionally) that is inherently divisive and encourages body shaming... those get nasty. Note: It is possible to state your opinion without being an insulting jerk. Takes practice, but is possible.

- the OP creates a topic (intentionally or unintentionally) that is supportive of an unhealthy lifestyle pattern... aka... only eat 300 calories a day and binge on weekends... this will get people WHO ACTUALLY CARE ABOUT YOUR HEALTH to respond very emphatically as to the dangers of this course of action. They come across as mean... but they're the exact opposite.

My end observation... a lot of people here are "HANGRY" - they're hungry because they're not fuelling their bodies needs adequately, or they're adjusting to a new diet, a new lifestyle. A lot are depressed with themselves and their current shape. A lot are frustrated because try as they may, they're not seeing the progress they want to see. Many are unable to communicate effectively in the English language - whether due to poor grammar, insufficient time, or English not being their primary language. (this is not a dig - just an acknowledgement that communication is tough for people who speak it as a primary! I cannot imagine what it would be like for those who learned it later in life!)

AKA... disagreeing is like patting someone on the back who has a sunburn... you cause them pain, when normally they would have been A-OK. Is it your fault? no... is it theirs? not really... does it suck? yeah, kinda.

AS A RESULT... we suck at communication, we get angry with one another over trivial things, and we lash out and think later.

Recommendation: a) develop a thick skin b) remember that not everyone is out to get you c) just because someone doesn't agree with you, it doesn't mean they don't like you; doesn't mean they think you're an idiot.. it means they disagree. simple. d) opinions are just that - opinions. e) if someone says something you perceive as "mean"... shake your head, say "whoa... go have a snack" and move on. It usually doesn't need to be reported.

and when forced to pick between A and B... many pick C. Some A. and Some B... so why bother asking the question. :)
  • wbfd22
    wbfd22 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    This is a personal favorite, and maybe a cautionary tale of why it might not be a good idea to help a new person:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/915530-so-confused

This one actually made me laugh! Thanks.a few extra calories burned :laugh:
  • EmilyOfTheSun
    EmilyOfTheSun Posts: 1,548 Member
    Options
    It's the internet, brah.
    Find people you like, add them to your list, and stay away from the forums if you don't find smart assery amusing.
    Or ignore the responses that bother you and move on to the information that's useful to you.
  • Juliejustsaying
    Juliejustsaying Posts: 2,332 Member
    Options
    If we are posting something that is wrong, don't say we are stupid, don't call us names, just politely correct us so we can see the kind of success we are hoping for. Isn't that why we are all here?? To see success??

Has anyone actually called you stupid? What names have you been called?

It happens all the time. Here is just a short list of the names I have been called -

Cheap, lying, no-good, rotten, four-flushing, low-life, snake-licking, dirt-eating, inbred, overstuffed, ignorant, blood-sucking, dog-kissing, brainless, d!ckless, hopeless, heartless, fat-*kitten*, bug-eyed, stiff-legged, spotty-lipped, worm-headed sack of monkey *kitten*.

God I :heart: guys like that...
  • sunsnstatheart
    sunsnstatheart Posts: 2,544 Member
    Options
    Most of the rude responses I've seen on MFP are from people who have such limited reading comprehension skills that they cannot tell the difference between someone who is simply disagreeing, and someone who is actually being rude. I have a great example in my inbox from this morning.
  • kimmycool2003
    kimmycool2003 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    My thoughts exactly!!
  • k8blujay2
    k8blujay2 Posts: 4,941 Member
    Options
    If one thinks MFP is rude or non-supportive, then they haven't been in the mommy forums... once involved in the mommy forums, one will realize that this place is full of rainbows and unicorns.
  • sandradev1
    sandradev1 Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    Disagreement does *not* = being rude.

I have never seen anybody being rude or bullying anybody on the forums. I have seen advice being given by folks who have been around for a while and have had good success. What I have seen is posters getting upset and calling people mean and bullies because they do not like the advice they are being given.

I have often seen people ask for instances of when people were mean and I have yet to see anybody give any evidence.

When I started on MFP last October, I took the time to research all I needed to know about eating healthy and exercise for myself. I also read through the forums and used the 'search' button. Nearly everything you can think of asking about, has already been asked, over and over again and all the information is already there.

I have had such great success on MFP which is totally down to having a fabulous friends list, but also because of the helpful advice given by other members on these forums.

I can assure you that the people who have helped me more on the forums, have been the very people who I see being accused of being rude.

This is the internet. You have a choice. If you do not like the content of the forums, they stay away. If only people would take the time to digest information given and not only listen to the answer they actually wanted to hear in the first place.
  • Firekeeper66
    Firekeeper66 Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    My thoughts exactly. Reading posts where a "regular" attacks a postee for their opinion (or misinformation) just to tell them they're doing something wrong has really discouraged me from posting publicly with any questions I might have. That being said, I've found some really awesome friends on here and have approached them directly with questions but still hesitate to ask via the message boards for fear I'll get attacked.

What I really find disappointing is when I see someone's post that I like and go to read their profile with the thoughts of adding them as a friend in mind and their profile says "I don't add friends that eat less than XXXX calories a day" or <insert list of other reasons why you can't be my friend here>. I totally understand that you won't add a friend without a message but what's with all the other reasons? Not particularly inviting... or maybe that's the point.
  • vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
    Options
    If one thinks MFP is rude or non-supportive, then they haven't been in the mommy forums... once involved in the mommy forums, one will realize that this place is full of rainbows and unicorns.
    QFT - those forums are scary!
  • quirkytizzy
    quirkytizzy Posts: 4,052 Member
    Options
    My thoughts exactly. Reading posts where a "regular" attacks a postee for their opinion (or misinformation) just to tell them they're doing something wrong has really discouraged me from posting publicly with any questions I might have.

You'd rather we tell someone eating 500 calories a day that it's okay? That's not only astounding, but completely defeats the purpose of this website. God, I hope like hell you aren't telling people that that sort of thing is okay.
This discussion has been closed.