Can't BELIEVE this guy said this about a size 8 / Medium!

Options

Replies

• lilmissbamaqueen
    Options
    Jeebus...This thread brought back some anger issues for me. My ex used to tell me that if I ever hit 140 he was gone. Well, honestly? I didn't hit over 140 until I married my current husband.

Here is the irony: After all those "anti-fatty lectures" I found out he was sleeping with my "friends." The overweight ones. That was kind of a deal breaker for me. :grumble:

This... my ex-fiance preached at me about losing weight. He said that it was so I would be able to go hiking and stuff with him, but later, I found out that he had cheated and knocked up some other girl. He ended up marrying her, AND she was bigger than me (pre-pregnancy, of course)! Geez... If you want out, just say so. My current BF, however, tells me that I can lose weight if I want to, for me, but he thinks I'm gorgeous no matter what size I am.

OP, the guy was a complete jerk. Any guy that would say something like that about his girl, no matter if he was kidding or not, is scum. Period.
  • mbouf94
    mbouf94 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I am a woman and I don't find offense to this.

Some men prefer smaller women. Some men prefer athletic women. Some men prefer large women.

Just like some women prefer athletic and muscular men. Some women are fine with husbands who have beer guts.

I personally would NEVER consider dating someone who looks unhealthy because I am healthy and live an active, healthy lifestyle. Does that make me vain or shallow? Maybe. But those are MY preferences.

Those are HIS preferences and it's not like he flat out told your friend she is fat and disgusting. He probably didn't even realize your friend IS a size 8 or I am sure he wouldn't have made that comment.

I think your friend needs to get over it: she works in customer service and that is not the worst thing she'll ever hear.
  • etoiles_argentees
    etoiles_argentees Posts: 2,827 Member
    Options
    "I'd rather be fat and happy than skinny, shallow and miserable."

I'm not miserable. Quite happy being skinny. :)

What's wrong with liking to look good? Be able to enjoy your body?
  • jayche
    jayche Posts: 1,128 Member
    Options

real men like curves only a dog likes bones.....

any boy can drive a straight line only men can drive a curvy road.....

Why is it NOT okay for the man to "bash" a size 8 but its ok for you to "bash" a smaller size?
  • AlongCame_Molly
    AlongCame_Molly Posts: 2,835 Member
    Options
    Why is this whierd creep defending the jerk described in the OP? There is NO excuse for going around with the intention of hurting others - doing that makes you a bad person, cut and dry. If you subscribe to the same ideals as that insensitive imbecile, you're a bad person, too, and it will come back to haunt you. Enjoy.

applause_thumb%5B2%5D.gif?imgmax=800
  • wikitbikit
    wikitbikit Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    Okay, I don't think either of you are understanding the implications of his comment at all. When men reduce their relationships with the women in their lives to the size of their pants, they are also dehumanizing us and belittling our contributions. A woman is not a THING that comes in the shape or size you prefer, and she certainly does not earn herself a place amongst divorcees simply for putting on a few lbs, especially as she ages. FACT - as women get older, their ideal weight goes up. Some men will have to learn to deal with that or spend their older years alone (and pathetic).

I can understand a morbidly obese partner putting stress on a relationship - at that point, it's not about appearance anymore, it's actually a health issue and a burden. Waxing and waning between a size 4 and a size 8 is SO NORMAL for MOST women post-childbirth. If a man can't respect that, he doesn't deserve to HAVE a wife.
    Thank you for articulating that so well. :)
  • _Witsy_
    _Witsy_ Posts: 609 Member
    Options
    Why is this whierd creep defending the jerk described in the OP? There is NO excuse for going around with the intention of hurting others - doing that makes you a bad person, cut and dry. If you subscribe to the same ideals as that insensitive imbecile, you're a bad person, too, and it will come back to haunt you. Enjoy.

It is more of saying...why on earth would you let some random stranger you don't know get you this upset?

WHO CARES?!

If you don't know the person or know the intent of their comment, then don't spend time making it up in your head. As far as anyone knows, the dude just has a serious lack of knowledge of what is humorous to others.

Working in Retail...you are NOT the moral police. You do NOT have a right to say something about a comment like that. Now you see someone hit someone else...yeah say something. But a stupid ignorant comment like this>? Nahh I got bigger fish to fry.

Geezus.
    I never said I'd personally say anything, nor did I say it would offend me to the degree it offended the coworker in the OP. But this is the internet and an opinion thread, so I am sharing my opinion on the GUY WHO SAID IT. What I said was that people who go out of their way to hurt others are bad people. I didn't say I was upset, I said I find it strange that someone would actually defend another person's bad behaviour. Thinking it wasn't enough of a big deal to cry over is one thing, but DEFENDING someone else's sh*ittiness makes you sh*itty, too.

My bad, I meant anyone who is getting upset when I typed "You"...not you specifically.

But I'm not a bad person, nor is anyone else, for not caring about someone's careless comment. It's not defending..it's simply saying "get over it". Would I say something like that ? Prolly not. Have I said something before that offended someone and it was not my intention at all? Of course...I"m pretty sure everyone has. Just wondering why the small crappy things like this somehow stay on people's minds so long...it has nothing to do with them. There isn't anything helpful by being righteous and calling out someone else's behavior because it doesn't match my own.
  • SwimFan1981
    SwimFan1981 Posts: 1,430 Member
    Options
    I can't believe this thread :laugh:

What the guy said just reminds me of the late Rodney Dangerfield or someone similar.
    It's one guy and one opinion, maybe not even his true opinion, maybe he just wanted to crack a joke...either way, why can't you all just get over it?
  • jooonesy
    jooonesy Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Feel sorry for his wife. Geez... Can't wait for him to get older and possibly chubby and see how that kind of scrutiny feels.
  • Koldnomore
    Koldnomore Posts: 1,613 Member
    Options
    Meh, I thought it was funny and I'm no where near a size 8. Most men have no idea what any size is anyway. Probably was trying to be funny and failed.. I doubt he was trying to be a jerk, and even if he was who cares? 20 years in customer service I can tell you most people who work retail couldn't give a rat's butt.. It's a job.

On another note, Just because someone has a preference for smaller women/men does not mean they are *kitten*.. It just means they have a preference. If I have a "preference" then I am not going to be attracted to something else. Insisting that someone change their preferences and 'give someone a chance' is pointless and rude. I don't like avocado either, I am not going to go and eat it to see if I develop a taste for it, nor would I be too happy to have someone harping on me all day about how I should try it because I might like it. - body type preference is the exact same thing. It has nothing to do with 'shallow' or not. It's really annoying that just because I happen to have a certain preference - which is in no way different than preferring steak to chicken - I am a bad guy. If someone is not attracted to a certain 'type' then just accept it and leave it at that.
  • ChristiH4000
    ChristiH4000 Posts: 531 Member
    Options

What the guy said just reminds me of the late Rodney Dangerfield or someone similar.
    It's one guy and one opinion, maybe not even his true opinion, maybe he just wanted to crack a joke...either way, why can't you all just get over it?

I think it's funny that you don't seem to think it's even ok to discuss the chauvinist overtones of what he said. I'm not letting some random jerk's comments ruin my day, but I'm pretty sure we can converse about it in a forum where many of us fight a body image battle.
  • SwimFan1981
    Options
    Meh, I thought it was funny and I'm no where near a size 8. Most men have no idea what any size is anyway. Probably was trying to be funny and failed.. I doubt he was trying to be a jerk, and even if he was who cares? 20 years in customer service I can tell you most people who work retail couldn't give a rat's butt.. It's a job.

On another note, Just because someone has a preference for smaller women/men does not mean they are *kitten*.. It just means they have a preference. If I have a "preference" then I am not going to be attracted to something else. Insisting that someone change their preferences and 'give someone a chance' is pointless and rude. I don't like avocado either, I am not going to go and eat it to see if I develop a taste for it, nor would I be too happy to have someone harping on me all day about how I should try it because I might like it. - body type preference is the exact same thing. It has nothing to do with 'shallow' or not. It's really annoying that just because I happen to have a certain preference - which is in no way different than preferring steak to chicken - I am a bad guy. If someone is not attracted to a certain 'type' then just accept it and leave it at that.

Agreed!
  • wikitbikit
    wikitbikit Posts: 518 Member
    Options

I dunno. Is there ever anything you just can't get over? Someone, somewhere is going to think that whatever that thing is is awfully silly... but hey! It still bugs you! And you have the right to feel bugged by it.

Or if nothing ever bugs you, if you're able to 'get over' everything, you need to bottle that up and write a book, girl! You'll be rolling in the dough. :)
  • themeaningofthemorning
    Options

I think it's funny that you don't seem to think it's even ok to discuss the chauvinist overtones of what he said. I'm not letting some random jerk's comments ruin my day, but I'm pretty sure we can converse about it in a forum where many of us fight a body image battle.
    Yes, this.
  • SwimFan1981
    Options
    . not worth the strike
  • etoiles_argentees
    Options
    pfft. as long as i look good, I don't care what my so looks likes, if he appreciates and makes me happy I'm good.
  • cicisiam
    cicisiam Posts: 491 Member
    Options
    I work at a high-end athletic clothing store that caters to size 2-12. Most of the girls I work with are in the size 4-8 category, or Extra Small, Small, or Medium.

Yesterday a man came in the store, looking for an outfit for his girlfriend. He was talking to one of my co-workers, who happens to be a size 8. The man was trying to decide what size to get his girlfriend, so my co-worker said "Is she anything like me?" to which he answered "No, she's smaller". Then she said to him "Well a 4 here is an Extra Small, a 6 here is a size Small, and an 8 is..." and before she could finish he cut her off with "Divorced". He said it in a completely serious tone and did not laugh. CAN YOU BELIEVE THE NERVE OF HIM? :mad:

It got me thinking... If I were her what would I have done or said to him? In hindsight she said she wished she had said "Our company is all about encouraging people to live a happy, healthy life. Your comment is disrespectful towards women. A size 8 is a perfectly healthy size and I am very offended by your comment. You can either apologize to me as a size 8 woman, or leave my store immediately."
    " Never reply or respond to a Fool. It will only make you a Fool as well."
  • lilmissbamaqueen
    Options

Okay, I don't think either of you are understanding the implications of his comment at all. When men reduce their relationships with the women in their lives to the size of their pants, they are also dehumanizing us and belittling our contributions. A woman is not a THING that comes in the shape or size you prefer, and she certainly does not earn herself a place amongst divorcees simply for putting on a few lbs, especially as she ages. FACT - as women get older, their ideal weight goes up. Some men will have to learn to deal with that or spend their older years alone (and pathetic).

I can understand a morbidly obese partner putting stress on a relationship - at that point, it's not about appearance anymore, it's actually a health issue and a burden. Waxing and waning between a size 4 and a size 8 is SO NORMAL for MOST women post-childbirth. If a man can't respect that, he doesn't deserve to HAVE a wife.

This x 1000!!
    :love: :flowerforyou: :drinker:
  • tae_99
    tae_99 Posts: 11
    Options
    what a douche :noway:
  • etoiles_argentees
    Options
    Silly thread, I'm out. There are more important things to argue against