Things people do on the treadmill that bug you..

Options

Replies

• BEERRUNNER
    BEERRUNNER Posts: 3,049 Member
    Options
    I really hate when people make fun of others holding the handlebars while using an incline. I used the incline for the first time the other day and yes, I held the bars.
    And you know what? I was damn proud of myself for using the incline in the first place.
    I would hate to think that there were people judging me while I was feeling so proud of myself.

No one asked you to admit whether you held onto the bars or not.. be proud that you wasted so much time getting a poor burn by cheating. Go for the elliptical, there you can hold onto the bars, free up the treadmill at the gym and still get a great workout!

EXACTLY!!! this fine lady gets IT! If youre gonna hold on to the treadmill and feel like cheating on yourself then go to the Ellipticals.!!!!!!!!! free up the treadmills for the real playazzzzz:bigsmile:

I kiddd I kidd......or do !?!??!?!?!

I am sorry. But if the hand rails weren't meant to be used on the treadmills then they wouldnt' have them in the first place. If people want to use them, more power to them.

And then they incline it to the moon and hang on to NOT the rails BUT the actaul apparatus that counts calories, time, distance etc....that thing was not meant for people to hang on to!

You clearly stated the hand rails....so which is it? What is your argument? The hand rails or the apparatus (which is called a display in case you didn't know).

Im just saying you shouldnt be holding on to anything if you are putting the machine on an INCLINE. you are cheating yourself if you do this. If you cant do a steep crazy incline without assist then go do yourself a favor and go at a pace and or incline that you cna handle WITHOUT holding onto ANYTHING.
    Its simple:bigsmile:
  • rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    I really hate when people make fun of others holding the handlebars while using an incline. I used the incline for the first time the other day and yes, I held the bars.
    And you know what? I was damn proud of myself for using the incline in the first place.
    I would hate to think that there were people judging me while I was feeling so proud of myself.

No one asked you to admit whether you held onto the bars or not.. be proud that you wasted so much time getting a poor burn by cheating. Go for the elliptical, there you can hold onto the bars, free up the treadmill at the gym and still get a great workout!

EXACTLY!!! this fine lady gets IT! If youre gonna hold on to the treadmill and feel like cheating on yourself then go to the Ellipticals.!!!!!!!!! free up the treadmills for the real playazzzzz:bigsmile:

I am sorry. But if the hand rails weren't meant to be used on the treadmills then they wouldnt' have them in the first place. If people want to use them, more power to them.

And then they incline it to the moon and hang on to NOT the rails BUT the actaul apparatus that counts calories, time, distance etc....that thing was not meant for people to hang on to!

You clearly stated the hand rails....so which is it? What is your argument? The hand rails or the apparatus (which is called a display in case you didn't know).

Im just saying you shouldnt be holding on to anything if you are putting the machine on an INCLINE. you are cheating yourself if you do this. If you cant do a steep crazy incline without assist then go do yourself a favor and go at a pace and or incline that you cna handle WITHOUT holding onto ANYTHING.
    Its simple:bigsmile:

One of my coworkers started out getting fit by increasing the treadmill to the max incline and walking. Yes he held onto the hand rails for stability. Why? So he didn't fall. He didn't "cheat" himself. How do I know this? I watched him get more and more in shape as the days passed. The only way you "cheat" yourself on the treadmill is to just blantently stand on it and do nothing. No incline, no walking, nothing. If you feet are moving then you are doing something and not cheating yourself. Someone walking at 2.0 for an hour is not cheating themselves. Someone walking at 2.0 with 10.0 incline is not cheating themselves.

Besides, not everyone has good balance. My mother, who has half her foot amputated, uses the hand rails. Why? Because her balance is poor. And that is at no incline.
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    I hate when people run on it. Just go outside!

Says the guy from North Carolina. :laugh:

Almost the entire month of January here was below zero. The windchill this morning was -5 when I went to the gym.

I'll pass.
  • BaileyKat52
    BaileyKat52 Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    People actually pay to be at the gym just like you do. I hope those judging others are really happy & offer to pay those people to workout then.... cause you all must be superior. Sorry but you people make me sick.

I'm guessing she wears perfume to the gym.

if people are doing there thing, even if I think it's weird and stupid, I let them do it unless I think they are going to hurt themselves. Then I go get at trainer and have him observe them at which point he runs over to help them.

The perfume thing, on the other hand, is a real problem because you are then negatively affecting MY workout. And that ain't cool.

Exactly!

I am personally not concerned if someone wants to run on their hands and do back flips on the treadmill but the perfume thing is not okay at all. I counted this morning six signs in the ladies washroom asking for people to respect that the gym is scent free. When I posted earlier about the perfume I was not judging or making fun of anyone but the gallons of perfume affects me and my workout and my health and that's a problem.
  • hope002
    hope002 Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options

Almost the entire month of January here was below zero. The windchill this morning was -5 when I went to the gym.

I'll pass.

I am from Calgary, Alberta and I run almost everyday starting Feb 1. Sometimes was -6, mostly 0, -1.
  • RGv2
    Options
    I....Can't...Believe...This...Is...Still...Going, and that so many people take it so personally. :noway:

I might have a legit one, stay with me here....

This morning a fellow patron hired a trainer to meet them at the gym this morning. We live in MN, There's 6" of snow on the ground and it's march...the melt is on during the day.

Anyway, patron jumps on the treadmill and gets going. A few minutes later, trainer guy shows up, doesn't change shoes, and stands on an empty treadmill next to client. Soaks the belt and drags in salt/sand. Notices belt is wet and hides it by rolling the belt so the we part is on the bottom.
  • RGv2
    Options

I'll pass.

I am from Calgary, Alberta and I run almost everyday starting Feb 1. Sometimes was -6, mostly 0, -1.

Good for you?

My point is that it's easy for someone from "down south" to tell northerners to "run outside" in the winter.

I personally can't stand it.
  • suv_hater
    suv_hater Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    I hate when the sun is out, it's 60-70 degrees, little to no wind, and people are running on the damn treadmills. Total eye-roller.

My gym is in the suburbs too, there's soooo many places to run outside. Running is the last thing I would do with a gym membership.

I do like the treadmill though for walking warmup and cooldown. But actual running....
  • dixiewhiskey
    dixiewhiskey Posts: 3,333 Member
    Options

Did you really just tell her how to work out? To free up a treadmill at the gym? Seriously? Get a frigging life.

SERIOUS humour on the forum today!!!

Darn right I did.. nothing worse than waiting for a treadmill and watching the majority of the users holding on the treadmill while I eagerly wait to workout properly.

Get on an elliptical - it's low impact for those who are issues and you can still hold onto the bars. How about you learn how to reasonably disagree? You don't sound like you can take the heat so get out of the kitchen. Take your f words with you too cause you sound like you need the life more than me. :laugh: :laugh:
  • dixiewhiskey
    Options

I'll pass.

Good for you?

My point is that it's easy for someone from "down south" to tell northerners to "run outside" in the winter.

I'm from Canada too.. I would run outside personally if people in my neighbourhood took care of the sidewalk.. no injuries for me!! :smile: I don't mind the cold
  • NCchar130
    NCchar130 Posts: 955 Member
    Options

I'll pass.

Hah! I'm in NC and joined a gym just so I COULDN'T use nature as an excuse not to run. :laugh: Chilly wet winters, hot humid summers, threat of thunderstorms every single afternoon from May - August, a Biblical plague of mosquitoes in my neighborhood last summer, ridiculous pollen counts in the Spring where you can actually see the stuff in the air and it sticks to your clothing....I love to run outside but sometimes it's too easy to talk myself out of it.

As for the topic of this thread - I barely notice anyone in my gym. I have never been annoyed by anyone on a treadmill to the best of my recollection. I did ANNOY someone on a treadmill next to me when I was doing intervals and I heard her say to her workout buddy that the constant beeping (when I changed the speed settings) was irritating her so she was moving. 'K bye who cares!
  • bostonwolf
    bostonwolf Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options
    People running backwards or doing sidesteps on the treadmill..Really?.Waiting for the big injury lawsuit because nobody told them it was stupid and dangerous.

This is an honest workout actually.

http://www.runaddicts.net/tips-tricks/the-benefits-of-running-backward

A lot of people do it.

Best to keep quiet and have us think you are an idiot, then to type a response like "injury lawsuit" did and confirm it.

Never said I did it, did I? Might want to learn a little reading comprehension. Only said it was an honest workout. And sorry, but you can't have a lawsuit against a gym for something like that. Might want to read the fine print on the papers you signed.

Might want to check your own reading comprehension, friend, since I clearly directed my response towards the person you quoted and not you.

Had I left out the "like 'injury lawsuit'" part you might have a case. But I didn't, so you don't
  • RGv2
    Options

I'll pass.

Hah! I'm in NC and joined a gym just so I COULDN'T use nature as an excuse not to run. :laugh: Chilly wet winters, hot humid summers, threat of thunderstorms every single afternoon from May - August, a Biblical plague of mosquitoes in my neighborhood last summer, ridiculous pollen counts in the Spring where you can actually see the stuff in the air and it sticks to your clothing....I love to run outside but sometimes it's too easy to talk myself out of it.

As for the topic of this thread - I barely notice anyone in my gym. I have never been annoyed by anyone on a treadmill to the best of my recollection. I did ANNOY someone on a treadmill next to me when I was doing intervals and I heard her say to her workout buddy that the constant beeping (when I changed the speed settings) was irritating her so she was moving. 'K bye who cares!

I would run in chilly winters.... I usually turn to nature in the 20's, and you do know that our state bird is the mosquito. :smile:
  • dixiewhiskey
    Options

Did you really just tell her how to work out? To free up a treadmill at the gym? Seriously? Get a frigging life.

Everyone starts at a different level! Handles or not they're still working out.
    Get off your high horse.

OK, so there's different machines.. why do you have to hold onto the handlebars and waste my time and that of others? Like I said, no one here is personally attacking anyone specifically about holding onto the bars, they are talking about strangers. Stop taking offense
  • RGv2
    Options

I'll pass.

Good for you?

I'm from Canada too.. I would run outside personally if people in my neighbourhood took care of the sidewalk.. no injuries for me!! :smile: I don't mind the cold

Right now is the worst. Sidewalks are glare ice because the snow melts all afternoon, then all the water freezes on the sidewalk as soon as the sun goes down.
  • redheaddee
    redheaddee Posts: 2,005 Member
    Options
    People actually pay to be at the gym just like you do. I hope those judging others are really happy & offer to pay those people to workout then.... cause you all must be superior. Sorry but you people make me sick.

Then don't read or post. Your generalization of "you people's" superiority is highly hypocritical & ironic.
    Oh Geez. Making fun of people wasn't good enough for one thread? Get a life people.

Says the person taking time out of their super exciting day to tell others to get a life.

God I love these message boards, the irony is rich and ever entertaining.
  • determined2lose89
    determined2lose89 Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    I'm not one to judge anyone at the gym. You go there to workout, do your own thing, that's all. However, there is one thing that bugs me.... there's this one lady that *ALWAYS* seems to be at the gym when I'm there and she uses her headset on her iphone to have LOUD conversations on the phone while she's * supposedly* "working out.".
  • dixiewhiskey
    Options

HAHAHA :bigsmile: :drinker:

I don't know, you better not say much else or all the bar holders will take offense!! I mean after all, that's why this topic is now on its 2nd part
  • lisasch67
    lisasch67 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    Sometimes, when I'm on the treadmill (cuz it's 10 degrees outside) I really wish I could do this instead of just run:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6RcVtON3Zlc
  • dixiewhiskey
    Options

I'll pass.

Good for you?

Right now is the worst. Sidewalks are glare ice because the snow melts all afternoon, then all the water freezes on the sidewalk as soon as the sun goes down.

Oh I know! The weather won't make up its mind.. I just run on days where its warm if I can, treadmill for others.