Health food not so healthy???

Options

Replies

• ksuh999
    ksuh999 Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    And how, pray tell, do you think they identify these "suspected carcinogens"?

THE AMES TEST!!!!!!!
    IARC has a rather comprehensive list of known and possible carcinogens.

It's a rather shocking list. Most people shouldn't read it because you'll never leave your house.
  • Lift_This_
    Lift_This_ Posts: 2,756 Member
    Options
    What is the one food that you used to think was a healthy choice that you have since learned otherwise?

For me its the Baby Carrots. Learning they are doused in chlorine and "bred" to be little ~ it grosses me out enough to not eat them anymore. What's your food?

i once thought a DQ blizzard was healthy since it had so much go stuff in it....I know now it is not healthy....maybe we should put some baby carrots into it..make it a bit healthier....and they are bred to be baby so they do fit in the DQ blizzard.

SERIOUSLY??? YOU want to make fun of me for having an old picture of a blizzard? interesting! You, of all people, are not one to judge someone else!

Maybe she isn't the one to judge someone else but I sure am.

I judge you because you use old pictures as your profile picture... nothing to do with baby carrots or blizzards..

however a carrot blizzard might be tastey... maybe we could make a carrot cake blizzard I would eat the *kitten* out of that.

that sounds delicious.
  • judydelo1
    judydelo1 Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    I am not exactly sure what happened to MFP and when it became such a cynical, mean spirited community; however, for your question I would say this.

Sure, getting your veggies straight from your garden, rinsed with clean water (most tap water also contains chlorine), and straight to your plate would be ideal.

That goes for just about any food, even meat would be best if it was grass fed, or hunted and no processing. You have to kind of choose your battles on this one and do the best most reasonable things you can do within your lifestyle, budget, and reality.

If you can only afford some organic a good rule of thumb is if it has a thicker skin (melons, bananas) it is less likely that the chemicals made it to your food. So buy your skinless, thin skinned organics first.

Life is a balance and a journey, do the best you can, in the end we all die so leave some room for enjoyment.

One thing I do avoid like the plague is corn, but that is because of Monsanto.. Evil company right there.

THIS ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

ANd I love your tip about the thick vs thin skinned produce! That's why avocados are one of the fruits you can safely buy non organic, now it makes sense. Thanks!
  • ksuh999
    ksuh999 Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    I am not exactly sure what happened to MFP and when it became such a cynical, mean spirited community; however, for your question I would say this.

Sure, getting your veggies straight from your garden, rinsed with clean water (most tap water also contains chlorine), and straight to your plate would be ideal.
    Don't use water from a hose. Most hoses still contain lead in the brass fittings and the hose itself (keeps it pliable).
  • judydelo1
    Options
    OAN: The only true orgaic you are going to get is if you grow it yourself - or you get if from a local farmer... most organic in grocery stores isn't all that much different than non-organic but its more expenisve.

Also MFP has never been a nice place... everyone thinks its terribly mean because other point out the truth, or want actual proof of what your spilling... ... so pull up your big girl/boy panties and move on. it is just the internet afterall.

And 90% of everything you come in contact with has some kind of poison in/on or near it so suck it up ... its life... don't live in fear or you wont be living at all.

What makes you think any of us are living in fear? lol That's such a crock and a cop out. I'll tell you how I am NOT living though, I'm not living in judgement of others. I'm not living with ugliness in my heart. And I don't misbehave in person or on an internet forum and then later justify it by claiming to just be pointing out the truth. You and others on here once again are mocking, belittling, harrassing and acting as I said, like a pack of very ugly angry dogs. You really should see if your behavior matches how you really want to be as a human being.
  • BldHny2002
    BldHny2002 Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    Now, I'm not a special snowflake, but I've lost close to 50lbs in under six months mostly eating heathily, (veggies and all that) but also included on a frequent basis eating nachos and drinking beers and eating McDonald's (and it wasn't a salad!! Gasp!!)

So honestly, I don't believe in "bad food". Well, I do, but not in the way that most people associste bad food = weight gain.

But yeah, I was shocked at how many calories bananas had.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    OAN: The only true orgaic you are going to get is if you grow it yourself - or you get if from a local farmer... most organic in grocery stores isn't all that much different than non-organic but its more expenisve.

Also MFP has never been a nice place... everyone thinks its terribly mean because other point out the truth, or want actual proof of what your spilling... ... so pull up your big girl/boy panties and move on. it is just the internet afterall.

And 90% of everything you come in contact with has some kind of poison in/on or near it so suck it up ... its life... don't live in fear or you wont be living at all.

What makes you think any of us are living in fear? lol That's such a crock and a cop out. I'll tell you how I am NOT living though, I'm not living in judgement of others. I'm not living with ugliness in my heart. And I don't misbehave in person or on an internet forum and then later justify it by claiming to just be pointing out the truth. You and others on here once again are mocking, belittling, harrassing and acting as I said, like a pack of very ugly angry dogs. You really should see if your behavior matches how you really want to be as a human being.
    Making a judgmental post about how you aren't judgemental. The irony is thick, here.
  • Lift_This_
    Options

Making a judgmental post about how you aren't judgemental. The irony is thick, here.

ill make her a baby carrot blizzard, maybe that will calm things down.
  • MyM0wM0w
    MyM0wM0w Posts: 2,008 Member
    Options
    Baby carrots are cut from larger "imperfect" carrots. They are not 'bred". They are rinsed in a chlorine solution, then rinsed again with clean water. Do you not wash your veggies before eating them?

Not in bleach, I don't!

If you're rinsing them with city water you are. We're already drinking chlorine, washing in chlorine, swimming in chlorine, and brushing our teeth with chlorine. Some diluted and sprayed on your carrots is the least of our worries.
  • Pixi_Rex
    Pixi_Rex Posts: 1,676 Member
    Options

mocking? belitting? harassing? hrm nope not my intention I was just stating my opinion. I am sorry that made you feel bad. No really I am. However; what you do see is what you get. I would say the exact same thing in person as I would on this internet forum. Do I have ugliness in my heart? yeah in your opinion probably but that makes my little black heart really kind of happy so eh. As you can see your opinion on telling me I have ugliness in my heart really doesn't bother me.

My behaviour as you say is just fine. I am a 30 year old woman who will end up in a time out because people like you get your panties in a bunch that I stated an opinion and Olivia will once again be in my inbox giving me a slap on the wrist like I am in Kindergarten but I am ok with it.

If you really do not like what I have to say you can ignore me there is a fancy feature under my profile pic - click that drop down ignore user easy peasy ... for real... relaxxxxxxxxxx its the internet if it hurts your feelings shut the browser, hit the power button and walk away.
  • Lift_This_
    Options

mocking? belitting? harassing? hrm nope not my intention I was just stating my opinion. I am sorry that made you feel bad. No really I am. However; what you do see is what you get. I would say the exact same thing in person as I would on this internet forum. Do I have ugliness in my heart? yeah in your opinion probably but that makes my little black heart really kind of happy so eh. As you can see your opinion on telling me I have ugliness in my heart really doesn't bother me.

My behaviour as you say is just fine. I am a 30 year old woman who will end up in a time out because people like you get your panties in a bunch that I stated an opinion and Olivia will once again be in my inbox giving me a slap on the wrist like I am in Kindergarten but I am ok with it.

If you really do not like what I have to say you can ignore me there is a fancy feature under my profile pic - click that drop down ignore user easy peasy ... for real... relaxxxxxxxxxx its the internet if it hurts your feelings shut the browser, hit the power button and walk away.

if only it was that easy.
  • Lift_This_
    Options
    What is the one food that you used to think was a healthy choice that you have since learned otherwise?

For me its the Baby Carrots. Learning they are doused in chlorine and "bred" to be little ~ it grosses me out enough to not eat them anymore. What's your food?

i once thought a DQ blizzard was healthy since it had so much go stuff in it....I know now it is not healthy....maybe we should put some baby carrots into it..make it a bit healthier....and they are bred to be baby so they do fit in the DQ blizzard.

SERIOUSLY??? YOU want to make fun of me for having an old picture of a blizzard? interesting! You, of all people, are not one to judge someone else!

I'm so sorry if you couldn't smell the sarcasm coming from my post....if I AM to judge you, it would be about how you lack a sense of humor.
  • judydelo1
    Options

Keep up . . . you were mocking and belittling the OP. And clearly she does have feelings and is hurt that what started out as a way for her to introduce herself on the message boards by starting a benign thread turned into a mocking party.
  • judydelo1
    Options

I'm so sorry if you couldn't smell the sarcasm coming from my post....if I AM to judge you, it would be about how you lack a sense of humor.
    Mocking is only funny when you're doing the mocking.
  • Pixi_Rex
    Options

Keep up . . . you were mocking and belittling the OP. And clearly she does have feelings and is hurt that what started out as a way for her to introduce herself on the message boards by starting a benign thread turned into a mocking party.

I am sorry she had her feelings hurt by my opinion. But that is not my problem, that is hers. Keep it up? you sound like you are a mother and I am your toddler please stop, speak at me like an adult. Seriously I will keep it up, everytime you comment on one of my comments I will comment again. Its just who I am.

I do suggest that peopel get a thicker skin, especially if they are going to post about "bad" food, history speaks for itself these topics never go over well. I am sorry she is new and probably didn't understand that. I NEVER once said she or you was living in fear I said "its life... don't live in fear or you wont be living at all." NOT STOP LIVING IN FEAR.. DONT live in fear.

I really wish people would read my words... and not take them that I am mocking or belittling anyone.. seriously if I was mocking the OP or anyone you would know. honest you would. I do not hand hold.. Do I judge? sure do... so do you... so does joe down the street its human nature to judge.

Do I speak my mind when I should keep my mouth shut? sure do... and IDGAF what anyone has to say about it. I also didn't say I was speaking the truth about anything... so I don't know what the crock and the crop out is. I straight up gave you my opinion. Which IS different than yours obviously but it doesn't make it any less valid. Are there foods that are unhealthy? Sure there are but you know what the air you breath is unhealthy, the water you drink probably has something in it and you are over 98% bacteria.. so I wouldn't worry about a little chlorine bath (which is in the water you drink BTW) on baby carrots - or anything for that matter.

Your post hurt my feeling... I am not going to go and cry about it though because I am an adult. You automatically assumed I was judging you. Did I say I was judging the OP for using an old picture... sure in jest but I realize now that an injest comment is never taken well when others don't have a sense of humor.

If there was a door I would slam it to make my point but there isn't one. You can go ahead and report me to the mods now.. I am really ok with seeing them in my inbox, it wont hurt my feelings but just know I will continue to post my opinion, and I will continue to be an *kitten* because that is who I am.

IF it hurts your feelings ignore me. pretty simple I do it all the time.
  • Lift_This_
    Options

Mocking is only funny when you're doing the mocking.

if you read back i was the original poster of that comment....duh:indifferent:
  • judydelo1
    Options

I am sorry she had her feelings hurt by my opinion. But that is not my problem, that is hers. Keep it up? you sound like you are a mother and I am your toddler please stop, speak at me like an adult. Seriously I will keep it up, everytime you comment on one of my comments I will comment again. Its just who I am.

I do suggest that peopel get a thicker skin, especially if they are going to post about "bad" food, history speaks for itself these topics never go over well. I am sorry she is new and probably didn't understand that. I NEVER once said she or you was living in fear I said "its life... don't live in fear or you wont be living at all." NOT STOP LIVING IN FEAR.. DONT live in fear.

I really wish people would read my words... and not take them that I am mocking or belittling anyone.. seriously if I was mocking the OP or anyone you would know. honest you would. I do not hand hold.. Do I judge? sure do... so do you... so does joe down the street its human nature to judge.

Do I speak my mind when I should keep my mouth shut? sure do... and IDGAF what anyone has to say about it. I also didn't say I was speaking the truth about anything... so I don't know what the crock and the crop out is. I straight up gave you my opinion. Which IS different than yours obviously but it doesn't make it any less valid. Are there foods that are unhealthy? Sure there are but you know what the air you breath is unhealthy, the water you drink probably has something in it and you are over 98% bacteria.. so I wouldn't worry about a little chlorine bath (which is in the water you drink BTW) on baby carrots - or anything for that matter.

Your post hurt my feeling... I am not going to go and cry about it though because I am an adult. You automatically assumed I was judging you. Did I say I was judging the OP for using an old picture... sure in jest but I realize now that an injest comment is never taken well when others don't have a sense of humor.

If there was a door I would slam it to make my point but there isn't one. You can go ahead and report me to the mods now.. I am really ok with seeing them in my inbox, it wont hurt my feelings but just know I will continue to post my opinion, and I will continue to be an *kitten* because that is who I am.

I said keep up, not keep it up. You thought I was claiming you were mocking me. I clarified you were mocking the OP.

I really think there should be separate boards for those that are self proclaimed *kitten* . . . and those that want to conduct themselves in a friendly, professional, polite, uplifting manner.
  • Pixi_Rex
    Options

I said keep up, not keep it up. You thought I was claiming you were mocking me. I clarified you were mocking the OP.

I really think there should be separate boards for those that are self proclaimed *kitten* . . . and those that want to conduct themselves in a friendly, professional, polite, uplifting manner.
    Yeah but then you would need 2 seperate planets... and really there is they are called groups. .. I am not a self-proclaimed *kitten*. i am an *kitten*.. I know this because I have been told this multiple times. I have come to terms with it. But really I think you need to re-evaluate life and so does the OP if things on an internet forum bother you.

Seriously its the internet, and while i understand real life feelings do get hurt by words you can walk away. I am not a bully, I do not pick on new people, I do not make fun of them (ok maybe a little behind their back but I do that to everyone - no one is safe). We are all adults no? if we are we should be able to take the forums with a grain of salt.

I have never once belittled the OP, if I belittled her I would have said "OMG you are so stupid seriously" I never said anything like that. I simply said that majority of everything you come in contact with has some kind of poison on it. Now if that is mocking and belitting thats news to me.

You are the one that told me I had ugliness in my heart, that I belonged in the ugly pack of dogs and that I misbehave. I think that your version of Misbehaving is different than my version of misbehaving... because honestly saying words on a forum when your an adult is not misbehaviour.

I really do wonder sometimes how some people make it through life... not everyone in this world is nice, and not everyone in this world is full of rainbows... and not everyone in this world shares your opinion.

neither here nor there I have derailed this topic for long enough... seriously person I do not know on the internet have a nice weekened... and pull your panties out of a wad I am sure its uncomfortable..

oh.. PS... simmer down.
  • holly3585
    holly3585 Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    Almond Milk:(
    Grains/legumes/dairy

Why is almond milk "bad"?
    Most have Carrageenan

When used in food products, carrageenan has the EU additive E-number E407 or E407a when present as "processed eucheuma seaweed". Carrageenan is mainly composed of dietary fibre, which balances the nutrition better.[7] Technically Carrageenan is considered a Dietary Fibre.[8]
  • MyM0wM0w
    MyM0wM0w Posts: 2,008 Member
    Options
    Yeh.. im like the Herpes I don't go away ... EVER lol

I think you might be my ex husband........